Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wideshanks posted:

Has there ever been a tool-assisted speed runs of any of the top-down Grand Theft Auto games?

The only one I can find is Chinatown Wars on TASvideos.

I enjoy seeing him drive around traffic barely steering his car and yet never getting hit.

In the related submissions for that run, there appears to be one for grand theft auto 2, but it hasn't been encoded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

SpectacuLars posted:

You wouldn't mind sharing the link, would you? Or did you mean the stuff SeedyV linked? Because having to switch stream mid-run is a bit too involved for me. :effort:

I was talking about the ones SeedyV linked, yes.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

Edit: Also people keep trolling the chat claiming that Sig is a girl.

It started because someone was searching on Skype to contact siglemic to ask him when he was going to start streaming on day 2 or 3. The first contact when searching for 'siglemic' is Michelle Sigler. Therefore, everyone ran with it that siglemic was Michelle and a girl. Even siglemic replied to everyone that he was in fact a girl when asked.

Edit: And he started streaming day 4

Krenzo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 20, 2011

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Hahah, nero just wandered into sig's chat and announced he just got 1:47:50, pushing sig's target time down by over 30 seconds.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ouch. :( After he was so close, too.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Is there a link to nero's new run yet?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cosmo was just doing an OoT MST attempt with the filename PapaJohn and was 15 seconds ahead fighting the last Stalfos pair on the way down the collapsing tower when his game froze. :(

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Cosmo was just doing an OoT MST attempt with the filename PapaJohn and was 15 seconds ahead fighting the last Stalfos pair on the way down the collapsing tower when his game froze. :(

Oh man that is loving terrible. :(

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Ouch. :smith:

I cannot imagine the frustration at that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I was watching that, it was horrible... :smith:

I really wish Sig was doing his attempts at a reasonable hour during the day, I'd love to see the WR live, assuming he'll get it.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Azruelli posted:

Is there a link to nero's new run yet?

It's not up here but I'd bet it'll eventually show up on his YouTube account sometime in the near future.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

apophenium posted:

I was watching that, it was horrible... :smith:

I really wish Sig was doing his attempts at a reasonable hour during the day, I'd love to see the WR live, assuming he'll get it.

It seems like everyone has a crazy schedule right now due to winter break.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
My brother's submitting his Mario 64 run to Twin Galaxies at some point. 70-star minimal run. Non-TAS, so it's pretty long. Worth a look, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8zXBDw1hkY

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

HarkToTheLoons posted:

My brother's submitting his Mario 64 run to Twin Galaxies at some point. 70-star minimal run. Non-TAS, so it's pretty long. Worth a look, though.

Has your brother been paying attention to what's happened to SM64 records in the last year? Even allowing for whatever a "non-glitch" run is, compare his execution to nero's.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Internet Friend posted:

Has your brother been paying attention to what's happened to SM64 records in the last year? Even allowing for whatever a "non-glitch" run is, compare his execution to nero's.

Twin Galaxies tends to be notoriously strict (some would say stupid, I'd probably agree with them) in what's allowed and what isn't in their runs; TG would probably dismiss out of hand anything Nero has ever put out.

The current record over there is listed as 1:28:22, by the way. (Edit: For "Minimalist", i.e. 70-119 Star)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea I almost get the feeling they'd disqualify nero's run the second he skipped Lakitu's intro speech.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'm not even talking about TG's rules, if you want to give yourself restrictions thats cool. But watch this compared to this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HarkToTheLoons posted:

Only to where he gets stars 4 and 5, at the same time. Mind blown. :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Internet Friend posted:

I'm not even talking about TG's rules, if you want to give yourself restrictions thats cool. But watch this compared to this.

Yeah, fair enough. I think that TG just kinda gets the sorta second-caliber (no offense to HarkToTheLoons' brother or anyone else that does TG records) of speedrunners because the best think that TG's rules are arbitrary and bullshit (which they basically are).

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
Deer hunter 2 was the poo poo

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Deer hunter 2 was the poo poo

that's a nice rack on that guy

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

HarkToTheLoons posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAgmVrEL-I

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, fair enough. I think that TG just kinda gets the sorta second-caliber (no offense to HarkToTheLoons' brother or anyone else that does TG records) of speedrunners because the best think that TG's rules are arbitrary and bullshit (which they basically are).

I think the arbitrary rules and centralized authority kinda work for getting into Guinness and becoming "official", but ever since I finally saw King of Kong, I've found it harder and harder to care about that. Speedruns may just be one of those things where you get better results from an active community and an open process.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ahaha Sicko owns.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

furry drum circle posted:

Hahah, nero just wandered into sig's chat and announced he just got 1:47:50, pushing sig's target time down by over 30 seconds.

What do you think the absolute lower bound on 120stars is? The TAS is 1:39:02, but I don't know how much of that can be reproduced by just humans.

Do you think something like 1:45:00 could ever happen?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

factorialite posted:

What do you think the absolute lower bound on 120stars is? The TAS is 1:39:02, but I don't know how much of that can be reproduced by just humans.

Do you think something like 1:45:00 could ever happen?

I saw people discussing that in Siglemic's chat and the consensus was that a perfect run using the current route/strategies would come in at 1:46:XX.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sig just finished a run finally... in 1:49:09. With a 10 minute break he's back into it, what a beast.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Twin Galaxies quality, all the way through.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Did Sig give up? His stream was up earlier and today's the last day of the marathon, but it doesn't look like it's running now.

Hopefully he made enough in donations, at least.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

iastudent posted:

Did Sig give up? His stream was up earlier and today's the last day of the marathon, but it doesn't look like it's running now.

Hopefully he made enough in donations, at least.

He said he was gonna sleep for a couple hours and then come back and play some more. He also said that he'll be putting in probably 6 hours a day of attempts after Christmas.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I've been working on System Shock 2 lately, and in addition to a bunch of minor tricks and improvements, today I struck gold with a new sequence break that saves 3+ minutes! It's not exclusive to any build so the run that just got published is essentially obsolete for not using it. I never found a way to reliably stream SS2 since it's the most adamantly fullscreen games I've ever played (although the AGDQ setup will use hdmi-out so there's no need for a windowed mode), so this will get to be a fun surprise for everyone actually awake to watch it during the marathon :)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

If your sequence break saves 3 minutes you should be able to do a sub-30 run, correct?

I beat SS2 for the fifth time last month. I did another Melee + Psi build on Hard, but this time used some cyber modules to utilize the pistol for turrets and cameras. It's funny how easy the game is just using a wrench (with decent strength) plus a handgun. Once I got Invisibility, forget about it. When I got to the bridge of the Rickenbacker I literally had 300 unused cyber modules that I finally spent on miscellaneous stuff like Hacking just to get rid of them.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

furry drum circle posted:

I've been working on System Shock 2 lately, and in addition to a bunch of minor tricks and improvements, today I struck gold with a new sequence break that saves 3+ minutes! It's not exclusive to any build so the run that just got published is essentially obsolete for not using it. I never found a way to reliably stream SS2 since it's the most adamantly fullscreen games I've ever played (although the AGDQ setup will use hdmi-out so there's no need for a windowed mode), so this will get to be a fun surprise for everyone actually awake to watch it during the marathon :)

If you pre-order Xsplit you get access to a beta feature that captures directly from games which allows it to work with fullscreen games.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Former Human posted:

If your sequence break saves 3 minutes you should be able to do a sub-30 run, correct?

Yup yup, that's something I will probably work on doing after AGDQ. Even with this new break, my single segment run will probably be longer due to loading times and huge likelihood of mistakes over the course of the entire run. I was planning on running on Normal at the marathon but I might just say gently caress it and go on Easy just so I'm less likely to die to some stupid randomly spawned midwife zorching me.

As for xsplit, do you know if that works for sure with System Shock 2? I thought that was meant for newer DirectX games, and SS2 is so squirrely. That might finally push me over to preorder it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zOvwmhNb_I

What on earth did they do to Mario World?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Dos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zOvwmhNb_I

What on earth did they do to Mario World?

Honestly, what the gently caress is going on here?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Liku posted:

Honestly, what the gently caress is going on here?
I was wondering the same

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1571&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2080

In short they're using a Yoshi glitch to overwrite memory to trigger the credits

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't even know how you begin to figure that out. :psyduck:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The most recently submitted Mario World run uses a different kind of memory fuckery to generate a goal sphere in the item box, then uses that to entirely skip Iggy's castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Left Ventricle posted:

The most recently submitted Mario World run uses a different kind of memory fuckery to generate a goal sphere in the item box, then uses that to entirely skip Iggy's castle.

They don't seem to have responded well by being incredibly beaten by the fish generation glitch. They want that to go into a category called "glitched any%" as if their run doesn't overwrite RAM to create the new item either?

• Locked thread