Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Falchion + whatever you want to enchant it with. The thing swings fast enough to counter backstabs and if you're using an enchanted weapon build with it you can do a crap ton of damage but your backstab damage won't multiply your weapon enchant damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

BLOG KING posted:

I guess ultimately what I'm looking for is something that doesn't rely purely on backstab cheese. Ideas?

Go with faith for: more utility, damage, and overall usefulness.

WoG is gay as hell but everyone wants to and will use it when they feel they are getting cheesed, or it is a legit invasion ambush that is not in the Kiln. On top of that you have a heal, and force/emit force used to reflect the spells being cast at you.

In addition to that, if you farm the harpies in painted world you can get 30 souveneries easily with 10 humanity and covetous serpent ring in like an hour or so. This gives you -the best- weapon buff in the game, Darmoon Blade Miracle. It outclasses CMW in so many ways when you consider what you sacrifice for builds to get either.

30 Souvenirs in the covenant gets you a superior talisman at ~40 fth and the darkmoon blade miracle +2. For 50 more souvenirs for a total of 80, you can have DMB +3. DMB+2 is absolutely fine, but stay in the covenant.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

oneliquidninja posted:

Falchion + whatever you want to enchant it with. The thing swings fast enough to counter backstabs and if you're using an enchanted weapon build with it you can do a crap ton of damage but your backstab damage won't multiply your weapon enchant damage.

What do you mean by countering backstabs? Do you mean a flurry of mashing because then you're asking to get parried.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Ball Stink posted:

1) If, great, an entire build and attunement slot allocation built up around "if".

2) No it is not. What a joke my int build char is compared to my vit gouged characters with decent poise.

I never said its effectiveness was conditional on it hitting somebody, it's merely a bonus. Of all the builds I've taken to the Kiln I've never found anything quite as successful as sorcery in setting up openings, dictating space and keeping people on their toes. Perhaps I didn't use the other builds to their full potential, sure, and I've spent so long PvPing with sorcery it's probably coloured my perceptions but I stand by my point. I'll happily concede that an Int build is essentially a MGS build though and sorcery is there to support that weapon. My Int character is also Vit gouged with huge poise anyway, so I don't have a response to the second.

If you're doing well with your current set up then fantastic but my Int char is by and far the one I do best with. Horses for courses.

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
I'll just have to try both!

My original character is faith-based, but she's double-cursed and I don't have the warping thingie on her yet.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

In regards to neetz. Yeah, that's one thing I can say for my higher attunement MLGS builds, they could keep the pressure on and really dictate the fight even if my sorceries didn't do much in the way of killing.

Ball Stink posted:

What do you mean by countering backstabs? Do you mean a flurry of mashing because then you're asking to get parried.

Most people aren't parrying when they're trying to get a backstab off and most people also expect you to try to roll.

The Falchion counters backstab attempts in two ways. The first way is because of it's wide angled swing and speed. The second way is also because of this but works a bit differently.

If someone is fishing for a backstab you can punish them with two R2 swings. The first swing would be the typical backstab punish, high poise builds will walk through this and attempt to bs anyway. The second swing will hit them as they get their backstab off, negating all backstab damage.

If someone is counter backstabbing you, say you're casting a spell or whatever, you've left yourself open for a backstab. Again most people would try to roll away to prevent getting backstabbed. Again the two-handed R2 is fast enough it will deal damage as the backstab lands, negating backstab damage.

On top of this, an optimized Falchion build will deal as much damage per swing as a +5 Lightning Zweihander (at least until your weapon enchant falls off). This is on a weapon that swings at roughly four times the speed of the Zwei. The weapon is a beast when you build for it and even on my non-optimized, 14 Dex 50 Int build it's been a lot of fun to CMW up and play with. Imagine on a build that pushed Dex and Faith up and ran with DMB.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 22, 2011

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

oneliquidninja posted:

In regards to neetz. Yeah, that's one thing I can say for my higher attunement MLGS builds, they could keep the pressure on and really dictate the fight even if my sorceries didn't do much in the way of killing.

Most people aren't parrying when they're trying to get a backstab off and most people also expect you to try to roll.

The Falchion counters backstab attempts in two ways. The first way is because of it's wide angled swing and speed. The second way is also because of this but works a bit differently.

If someone is fishing for a backstab you can punish them with two R2 swings. The first swing would be the typical backstab punish, high poise builds will walk through this and attempt to bs anyway. The second swing will hit them as they get their backstab off, negating all backstab damage.

If someone is counter backstabbing you, say you're casting a spell or whatever, you've left yourself open for a backstab. Again most people would try to roll away to prevent getting backstabbed. Again the two-handed R2 is fast enough it will deal damage as the backstab lands, negating backstab damage.

On top of this, an optimized Falchion build will deal as much damage per swing as a +5 Lightning Zweihander (at least until your weapon enchant falls off). This is on a weapon that swings at roughly four times the speed of the Zwei. The weapon is a beast when you build for it and even on my non-optimized, 14 Dex 50 Int build it's been a lot of fun to CMW up and play with. Imagine on a build that pushed Dex and Faith up and ran with DMB.

I see your points but as to the last statement I imagine that build using a weapon with better range, not falchion's range.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Ball Stink posted:

I see your points but as to the last statement I imagine that build using a weapon with better range, not falchion's range.

Yeah, the range is the one area that the Falchion really suffers. But it's speed somewhat makes up for it.

The most trouble I had last night was with a spear wielder using a crest shield. It wasn't the only fight I lost but it was the only one that I really felt kinda crippled by. My opponent really used the range advantage against me.

Against non-turtlers though I don't think the range issue is that big of a deal. As long as you don't get stunned you can win a dps race against pretty much anyone. I fought an enchanted washing pole build last night and it was extremely one sided. They thought they'd trade blows with me and that was a very bad idea. Right after that I tried to trade blows with a Zweihander thanks to my new found confidence/cockiness. I got stunned and killed.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
Got to the golden fog door in Tomb of Giants, realized I hadn't placed the Lord Vessel down with either of the serpents :negative:

Is Frampt the easiest serpent to get to? Or is Darkwraithing a super cool thing I'd be missing out on if I went with him?

edit: Oh wait you can warp to the second bonfire in tomb of giants gently caress yessss!!!

editedit: Oh only the one after you defeat Nito... :negative:

VVV I haven't visited the Abyss yet :( But I guess it's time for a trip there.

victorisham fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2011

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

victorisham posted:

Got to the golden fog door in Tomb of Giants, realized I hadn't placed the Lord Vessel down with either of the serpents :negative:

Is Frampt the easiest serpent to get to? Or is Darkwraithing a super cool thing I'd be missing out on if I went with him?

You can warp to Kaathe in the Abyss to side with him. A not cracked Red Eye Orb is pretty nice if you ever want to PvP outside of Anor Londo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oneliquidninja posted:

Yeah, the range is the one area that the Falchion really suffers. But it's speed somewhat makes up for it.

The most trouble I had last night was with a spear wielder using a crest shield. It wasn't the only fight I lost but it was the only one that I really felt kinda crippled by. My opponent really used the range advantage against me.

My main counterpoint to this kind of build is exactly what you reported - anyone with a crest shield who doesn't want to lose can trivially wait out your buff and depending on weapon choice can outrange you and get in some safe damage while doing so. For some reason the vast majority of players seem entirely unwilling to do this which makes buff builds really strong.

Seriously though I find it hilarious that someone makes a build constructed entirely around trying to rush down the opponent and kill them in a few swings with an enchanted weapon and then sends you tons of bitchy messages because you refuse to let them hit you with their temporarily massively stronger weapon.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

My main counterpoint to this kind of build is exactly what you reported - anyone with a crest shield who doesn't want to lose can trivially wait out your buff and depending on weapon choice can outrange you and get in some safe damage while doing so. For some reason the vast majority of players seem entirely unwilling to do this which makes buff builds really strong.

Seriously though I find it hilarious that someone makes a build constructed entirely around trying to rush down the opponent and kill them in a few swings with an enchanted weapon and then sends you tons of bitchy messages because you refuse to let them hit you with their temporarily massively stronger weapon.

To be fair, my backup weapon is the one I actually built my character to use. I just don't like starting fights with it out because it's more fun to surprise people with the MLGS and further surprise them with the fact that I know how to use it. It also gets old using the same weapon all the time (I'm way way better with the MLGS then I am with the Falchion or any of my other 'primary' weapons). Granted, it's really no better at dealing with a crest shield (and in the end I think I was using the MLGS against the spear/shield guy).

But yeah, waiting them out is perfectly viable. I tried using Power Within for awhile and people had no problem waiting me out. I think for some it was a strategic choice and for others it was just being afraid of getting crushed. Maybe I'll try a Shotel/Power Within combo some day.

I guess what I was trying to say in the above is that if you're going to use weapon enchants you better have a plan B. And if you don't it's your own loving fault.

e: I wish I had a capture card on my PS3, I'm actually pretty proud of how that character looks. I'm wearing Helm of Thorns and Sage Robes with Havel's Leggings and Gauntlets buried underneath. I think he runs at 60 something poise with that set up. I wish I had a shield that looked better though. Crest, SKS, and Heater shield are the ones I've been using and none of them really fit with my armor set up.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 23, 2011

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Tried assisting someone for seath last night but he wouldnt use any effing flasks. I had no life and we ae standing right before the boss room so I send him a message to use one and he says "no, use ur humanity." Wtf. He was using a healing spell on himself the whole way. I sent him a message bask saying "fu, good luck". As soon as seath was triggered his tail hit me and I died. Am I a bad sunbro? Idont have much humanity and u get infinite flasks...

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Not really. I've had a few people refuse to heal phantoms and that's when I started using Heal whenever I try assisting.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah, Heal is pretty much mandatory for being a fully effective sunbro. By that I mean that you can react if you end up with a lame host like the one you had.

e: or just be so loving DARKSOULS that you never take damage :unsmigghh:

Chard fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 23, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

DoctaFun posted:

Tried assisting someone for seath last night but he wouldnt use any effing flasks. I had no life and we ae standing right before the boss room so I send him a message to use one and he says "no, use ur humanity." Wtf. He was using a healing spell on himself the whole way. I sent him a message bask saying "fu, good luck". As soon as seath was triggered his tail hit me and I died. Am I a bad sunbro? Idont have much humanity and u get infinite flasks...

Use humanity instead of estus? That's loving stupid, he should've just drank a flask. Having the heal miracle is still super useful though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I started a dex-based sorcerer last night. What's a good weapon to take down the magic path?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BLOG KING posted:

I guess ultimately what I'm looking for is something that doesn't rely purely on backstab cheese. Ideas?

You shouldn't feel bad about going for a backstab. If you use a lighter weapon and you're up against a high poise player, no amount of attacking will stun him aside from a backstab or parry.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I like CMW on a Falchion. Balder's Side Sword is another Dex weapon I've enjoyed and would make a decent enchanted weapon.

If you have 12 strength the moonlight butterfly horn is a good spear. If you have 14 strength you can use a great scythe. 16 strength opens up the claymore which is good pretty much whatever you do to it.

Uchi and Iaoto a lot of people seem to like. I personally found I'd use my Iaoto mostly for farming titanite chunks off the giants in Anor Lando though.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

gravyflood posted:

I started a dex-based sorcerer last night. What's a good weapon to take down the magic path?

Eventually you're going to want to stick with the Moonlight Greatsword (unique weapon, yes, but it has the highest magic damage out of any weapon in the game), but working up to that I found that a Magic/Enchanted Halberd worked pretty well. Powerful, long reach, relatively fast attack speed and decent scaling make it a pretty reliable weapon.

Since you're also going into Dex, a Great Scythe would be good as your primary physical weapon. It's damned powerful with a long reach and decent moveset, which certainly helps with the Crystal Magic Weapon spell. Though that won't be for a while, since your first priority should be to pump your Intelligence.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

gravyflood posted:

How much Dex and how much Int?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

gravyflood posted:

You probably want to run with a buffed <something> rather than a Magic or Enchanted weapon. This favours fast weapons so you ideally want something with both speed and reach such as a Balder Side Sword or Ricard's Rapier but honestly most dex weapons have at least something going for them. Just go for something that you find easy to use.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I somehow managed to kill the Undead Asylum Black Knight waaaay ahead of time, and got his sword. Excellent. Now I just need to grind up my stats high enough to use the drat thing.

The range for co-op assists are roughly within ten levels of whoever you're assisting, right?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

10 + 10% of their level is the range I believe.

So yeah, on the low end it's roughly 10 levels. Around anor lando it's around 15 levels and in NG+ it's closer to 20.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oneliquidninja posted:

How much Dex and how much Int?

Not sure exactly, but they're both around 17. I think I might just upgrade my dex-y weapons down normal path and make use of Magic Weapon.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

Didn't feel like waiting until Anor Londo to get the RoFaP this run, so I decided to kill Lautrec at Firelink. I have to say, he is the easiest human NPC in the game to kill. Kick him, and he stands up. Kick him again, and he falls off the cliff. Reload, voila! Your items.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Zizzyx posted:

Didn't feel like waiting until Anor Londo to get the RoFaP this run, so I decided to kill Lautrec at Firelink. I have to say, he is the easiest human NPC in the game to kill. Kick him, and he stands up. Kick him again, and he falls off the cliff. Reload, voila! Your items.

you can do the same thing to shiva's ninja in the garden

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

Ruder posted:

you can do the same thing to shiva's ninja in the garden

Sweet! Probably going to do that as well. The funny thing to me is that nobody ends up caring that Lautrec is dead, I just run up and kick him over a cliff and get one of the best rings and 5 humanity for my trouble.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I got invaded 3 times in a row by a Darkmoon in the Undead Burg on my NG+ character. I never even invaded anyone in my first game! :psyduck:

edit - wait, does killing Gwyndolin put you on the Darkmoon poo poo list for the rest of your character's existence? Maybe that end game killing spree has some consequences after all.

Graviija fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 23, 2011

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Is there any way to get the Dark Grain Ring without having to kill the ninja guy and then attone for your sins (to make the forest unhostile again?) I am not sure if I would ever swamp Havels/RoFAP for it but it would be nice if I ever decide to PVP.

edit: Or rather I cannot afford to pay 92,000 souls at the moment... will I find it later?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Man, sunbro'ing in the Depths makes you feel all fuzzy inside. The last three guys I've helped have sent thank-you messages. I guess that going through that loving place makes people grateful for a little company.

The 12,500 souls a pop doesn't hurt either, of course.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

artism posted:

Is there any way to get the Dark Grain Ring without having to kill the ninja guy and then attone for your sins (to make the forest unhostile again?) I am not sure if I would ever swamp Havels/RoFAP for it but it would be nice if I ever decide to PVP.

No...but just do it after killing Sif, and then it doesn't matter if the forest guys are hostile because when are you ever going to go back? Or do it before, because if you can kill Sif, you can kill all the forest NPC's without the "fall off cliff" method anyway.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

No...but just do it after killing Sif, and then it doesn't matter if the forest guys are hostile because when are you ever going to go back? Or do it before, because if you can kill Sif, you can kill all the forest NPC's without the "fall off cliff" method anyway.

Actually it's funny Sif went down in one try but right before that the forest guys killed me 2-3 times before I realized I was pulling 3 at a time (Greatsword, Mage, and the thief)... so I had to use the cliff method anyways heh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Black Knight Sword's horrible speed is totally worth surprising the hell out of people with its damage potential in the early game. I got invaded by a guy in Blighttown who really seemed to know what he was doing - using the terrain, keeping up shields, zoning me with toxic mist - so I almost felt bad when I hit him once and took off 3/4's of his health.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 23, 2011

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Is there any location other than New Londo Ruins that allows for titanite chunk farming or should I just leave my lightning spear at +2 and progress as is? Level 48 by the way (if that matters?)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

artism posted:

Is there any location other than New Londo Ruins that allows for titanite chunk farming or should I just leave my lightning spear at +2 and progress as is? Level 48 by the way (if that matters?)

The two giant knights in the Anor Londo foyer have a decent chance of dropping them. The other, smaller giant knights can also drop chunks, but not nearly as often.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

artism posted:

edit: Or rather I cannot afford to pay 92,000 souls at the moment... will I find it later?

That's the only way to get it, yes. But you do realize that after the patch, atonement is only 500xLevel, so unless you're level 180+, it shouldn't cost that much. And if you're 180+, you're past prime PvP level anyways.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Okay last question before Anor Londo... the vendor in the upper tower of Sen's Fortress is apparently supposed to sell a key that's a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine. Is there anything you have to do to allow for the key to be purchased? For whatever reason it's not available to me right now

(I've already killed the Iron Golem and the two other giants if that's at all relevant).

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

That's the only way to get it, yes. But you do realize that after the patch, atonement is only 500xLevel, so unless you're level 180+, it shouldn't cost that much. And if you're 180+, you're past prime PvP level anyways.

Right now I am really not too interested in PVP so I've decided that I will leave it and pick it up later if it will help simplify any boss fights or I will just grab it in NG+ if I have any desire to PVP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

artism posted:

Okay last question before Anor Londo... the vendor in the upper tower of Sen's Fortress is apparently supposed to sell a key that's a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine. Is there anything you have to do to allow for the key to be purchased? For whatever reason it's not available to me right now

(I've already killed the Iron Golem and the two other giants if that's at all relevant).

He doesn't sell it, it's actually in the same tower though. Follow the stairs in his room down and explore a little and you'll find the Cage Key.

• Locked thread