Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
My routine involves putting my shoes on...
I dunno, I never really developed any superstitions. I've had 300 games when people mentioned the 300 while I was bowling it and it didn't bother me. I guess the closest thing I have is that I have to wipe my ball off with a rag before each shot, even if I haven't thrown the ball that night yet.

Anyway, after being absent from bowling the last 5 or so weeks (not literally absent, just my bowling abilities), I finally put together a decent set tonight. Had 10 strikes and 2 big split opens the first game for a 230. Had a 279 going until the 9th frame second game when I left a 7-10 (drat near a sour apple, tugged it into the oil and hit like a wet noodle) finished the 10th with a x9/ and a 235 game. Had a pretty consistent 3rd game where I was clean and shot 224. Maybe I can show up with a monster score next week, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Went bowling with a few friends a couple days ago. One was okay, averages about 120, has about a 10 step approach but somehow manages to end up okay.

One didn't really know anything about bowling. Like, nothing.

The other had a multi-step approach (varying between 4 and 8 steps) that always ended with a quick step on his right hopping immediately into a stop rather than a slide. He ends up sideways, and brings his arm around like a wrecking ball to balance his momentum.

I took it upon myself to try to correct their approaches, thinking that the bulk of their immediate issues were all related to poor balance rather than (as they were assuming) arm positions.

I felt like after every frame I'd have something new I'd see that'd demand correcting. Was teaching an approach the best first step? I tried to instruct them to use their arm as little as possible (just move it like a pendulum, let gravity swing it rather than bicep/tricep), and focused more on keeping them in line. I felt like in the end the guy who was the worst at first had the best approach of them all. I think maybe he had the fewest poor habits ingrained that needed unworking.

Still...I think I'll try to point the one who hops to some youtube videos. Just not sure when I'm actually bowling with them what I should focus on helping them with.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Why does my ball always flatten out at the end? Its a C System 4.5 and the pin is below the middle finger. No matter what lane condition I'm on unless bare rear end dry it flattens out at the end. I've tried cranking the poo poo out of it slowing down everything it always looks perfect till the last second and then dies.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yolkz posted:

Why does my ball always flatten out at the end? Its a C System 4.5 and the pin is below the middle finger. No matter what lane condition I'm on unless bare rear end dry it flattens out at the end. I've tried cranking the poo poo out of it slowing down everything it always looks perfect till the last second and then dies.

One word: Brunswick.

I'm not kidding.

Until their latest releases with the Nexus line Brunswick equipment is known for using up all it's energy midlane and flattening out. The most you can do is polish the poo poo out of it and try to delay it's breakpoint for a few feet and hope it retains some energy through the pins.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Critical speaks the truth. Brunswick hasn't made a good high end ball in forever. The best way to keep it from dying is to polish it up, throw it faster and make sure you are putting a long track on the ball. Which is to say to not let is spin like a top and let it have a heavy roll. But yeah, buy something not brunswick.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Zahgaegun posted:

One of the guys on the team threw 8 straight strikes to start the game on Monday. Got real nervous, started pacing. Stepped up, threw a 9 with a wobbly 10 pin that refused to go down. He subsequently left 7 of the next 8 frames open. Welp.

Had a good attitude about it.

Whenever I hit like 8 my legs start to quiver a bit and by the time I'm up to 9 I'm shaking like a god damned earthquake. It's nervewracking as poo poo.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Zahgaegun posted:

One of the guys on the team threw 8 straight strikes to start the game on Monday. Got real nervous, started pacing. Stepped up, threw a 9 with a wobbly 10 pin that refused to go down. He subsequently left 7 of the next 8 frames open. Welp.

Had a good attitude about it.

Yikes.

That reminds me of the story of Charlie, this 6'4" or so black dude who bowls on Wednesday nights. He got the first 9 and was, understandably, nervous as gently caress on the last shot. So after he gets the first 2 strikes in the 10th, he sits back down, drinks a glass of water, tells a story to his teammates and about 5 minutes later, goes up and bowls strike number 12.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I don't really get nervous when I've got the front 8 or 9 anymore, I've hosed it up enough times to not care.

However...the time I shot my 300 game I hadn't eaten since about 8 that morning and was running on pure adrenaline past frames 5 and 6 or so. I finished out the game, celebrated with my teammates, and immediately felt incredibly sick to my stomach.

My series that night was like 218 - 300 - 141

Last night I was throwing the ball decently enough but missed way too many spares I have no business missing. Went 179 - 190 - 224 but would have had 650 or more if I'd just picked up all my single pins.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Double posting from a week later

Showed up real late last night. We start at 6:30 and I think I walked in the door at 6:31. Still had a pretty decent series but I wish I would have taken a warm up frame.

Game 1 I went 0-8, bad strike, flat 7-10 but finished out pretty strong for a 201.
Game 2 was a 205 where I missed two single pins (a recurring theme).
Game 3 I actually put it all together and shot a 255 game. Could have very easily been a 278 if I hadn't been tapped on a couple shots.

Sadly enough that's my high series of the year. Consistent mediocrity is my game.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Finally found something that clicked and had my second point sweep of the season, 209-182-190-215. Last week of Beaten Path. Good thing, since we've had two 300s in as many weeks on this pattern. Autobahn is next.

Also, has the pleasure of bowling in front of Johnny Petraglia Jr who complemented me on a couple balls I threw well. I think he's bowling a Vegas tourney with our staff amateur so he was there to hang out. Throws one of the nastiest balls I've ever seen but doesn't want to deal with the grind of the tour. I guess you can afford to bowl whenever the gently caress you feel like when you have a HoF PBA member as your father.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I feel like I'm actually getting my throw together for the first time in about two years. It feels nice. Shot my high series of the season (and last season!) last night. I just need to cut down on some of the silly mistakes and I'm gold.

Game 1 - 211 with 8 strikes and 2 splits. Need to keep the ball out of the nose.
Game 2 - 245. I was on a 279 pace after a 9 pin in the 3rd frame but split in the 10th. Need to keep the ball out of the nose.
Game 3 - 266. Had 10 strikes but went through the nose in the 3rd and 4th frames and covered. Need to keep the ball out of the nose.

All in all though I'll take a 722. Hopefully I can build on the last two weeks and break 700 again next week. Unfortunately the rest of my team sucked and we only took 15.5 points on a night we should have taken 22-24.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Holy hell. After 3 weeks off we were abysmal on Wednesday night. I shot in the upper 150s the entire time, missing my average by about 30 pins :(

I don't know what it was, we just couldn't get a read on the lane AT ALL. I'm pretty sure every single one of my strikes was brooklyn. Lost all 4 points and potentially the lead in the league :(

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Had a 692 last night. 197-268-227. 8 pins off of my 700 series :mad:

However, the funny part was that I still managed to lose 2 of 3! Bastards. Ah well, pretty sure we took second place anyway :)

On to the next half!

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
617 last Sunday.. starting to figure things out...

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

loving 140-201-158-199 :psyduck:

Autobahn breaks down weird as hell. Started trying to play an outside line, which didn't work at all. Piped it down 10 board with the Victory Road for the second game and opened in the 10th to kill a much better game. Carry down killed that line about 5 frames later and I had to move back outside to the 5 board with the Nano to get it to the pocket.

More overall oil than most other kegel patterns and less put down on the reverse pass, which is what helps maintain the pattern. So if anyone is playing a inside line they bring all the forward pass oil into my groove.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
698 last night with a 267' first 6, 10pin (missed) and out

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well the good news is that last night I didn't miss any spares that weren't splits. That's actually two weeks in a row I've done that now. The bad news is that I left six of them. I wasn't going through the nose at least, pretty much all my splits were of the 2-4-8-10 variety coming in too late.

184 (3 splits)
233 (1 split)
201 (2 splits)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I am on god drat fire lately.

201-215-243 for a cool 659. I love bowling against the owners' sons because I seem to always waste them :)

As a side note, our team won 24-0. Woot!

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Thursday night I had one of those nights that keeps me coming back. I have been pretty disappointed in my bowling as of late. But Thursday night everything was running pretty smooth. Missed an easy spare in the second frame of the first game, but pulled it together for a 208. Shot a clean 244 the second game. Third game I had a 290 going into the 10th. Didn't make a preemptive move like I should have and went in high to leave a 6-10. Picked it up, made the move and struck on the fill for a 268. Can't be that disappointed with a 720. My timing and my release were just plain working. I need to get my mind in the same place it was on Thursday more often.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Since all my equipment(cheap Scout reactive and spare ball) got stolen out of a friend's car last, I decided to step up to a more expensive ball. I ended up getting a Hammer Epidemic. Holy poo poo is this ball way better than what I've been bowling with! The way it hooks in at the backend is making it was easier for me to pick up strikes. I can't wait to see what kind of scores I can start pulling out once I get used to it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Our team won the first half of the season, and a week early! The final position round before starting over is tonight, but after last week's victory over the 2nd place team, there's no way they can overtake us tonight when we bowl them again.

But more points = more money, so... No mercy tonight.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So, just getting back into bowling here. Used to bowl in leagues when I was a kid. Have pretty good form, somewhere between a stroker and a cranker. Currently using a 15 or 16 pound Ebonite Evolve bowling ball. I need to double check the weight I think it might be 16 though.

Anyways, I'm decent enough, could probably carry a 165+ average in league if I practiced more. My issue is, after bowling 3 games, for the next couple days, my hand/wrist will be extremely sore/tight. Basically starting from the tips of my two middle fingers and following down straight through my wrist.

I'm not sure if the ball is too heavy and I need to move down to maybe a 14(what do most guys throw nowadays anyways?) or there is something with my form/release. Anyone got any ideas what could be going on?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

I'm not sure if the ball is too heavy and I need to move down to maybe a 14(what do most guys throw nowadays anyways?) or there is something with my form/release. Anyone got any ideas what could be going on?

A 16 will get drat heavy if you're not in that great of shape. I know it's bowling and all, but some strength increases can only help.

Shot a 201-212-181 for a 5-freaking-94 on Monday. My final four frames were 9-,X,9-,8- CHOKE SUPREMO FANTASTICO. A 600 is still my season goal, so I'm not too concerned but it's so hard to get so close and fall short.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

mattfl posted:

So, just getting back into bowling here. Used to bowl in leagues when I was a kid. Have pretty good form, somewhere between a stroker and a cranker. Currently using a 15 or 16 pound Ebonite Evolve bowling ball. I need to double check the weight I think it might be 16 though.

Anyways, I'm decent enough, could probably carry a 165+ average in league if I practiced more. My issue is, after bowling 3 games, for the next couple days, my hand/wrist will be extremely sore/tight. Basically starting from the tips of my two middle fingers and following down straight through my wrist.

That's actually pretty typical from my experience. It's as if those forearm muscles are only ever used for bowling, so they get broken down and rebuild after every week.

I recommend stretching as best you can, pointing your middle two fingers straight out and holding it. If you want to go lighter that's fine, but if you feel you can control a 15/16 pretty well then there shouldn't be a problem with sticking with it in terms of health.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Also double check the drill. If your span is too long or the pitches are off, it could definitely cause soreness.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went and bowled 4 games at lunch today. Yay for BOGO bowling and working 5 mins from an alley!

Anyways, was around 175ish all 4 games. I just can't seem to get a comfortable grip on the ball it seems. It is a 15pnd ball. It feels like I have to really grip the ball to hold onto it, and that puts a lot of stress on my thumb where it bends. I don't feel the numbness up my wrist yet, but there's definite numbness in my thumb and the top joints of my fingers. Unfortunetly the pro shop didn't open till 1 and I had to be back at work so I'm gonna hafta go a little bit later tomorrow and see what he thinks. Maybe the length between thumb/fingers isn't long enough, or maybe I just need to move to a 14pnd ball.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Had a bad night last night. My footwork was erratic, my wrist positioning was sloppy, and I couldn't hit where I was aiming. At least I covered most my spares in games 1 and 3 and lucked into enough strikes to not shoot too abysmally.

210 - 152 - 210 for a highly solid 572

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mattfl posted:

Went and bowled 4 games at lunch today. Yay for BOGO bowling and working 5 mins from an alley!

Anyways, was around 175ish all 4 games. I just can't seem to get a comfortable grip on the ball it seems. It is a 15pnd ball. It feels like I have to really grip the ball to hold onto it, and that puts a lot of stress on my thumb where it bends. I don't feel the numbness up my wrist yet, but there's definite numbness in my thumb and the top joints of my fingers. Unfortunetly the pro shop didn't open till 1 and I had to be back at work so I'm gonna hafta go a little bit later tomorrow and see what he thinks. Maybe the length between thumb/fingers isn't long enough, or maybe I just need to move to a 14pnd ball.

Your thumb and fingers should be comfortably snug in the holes, you should have no need to have an excessive "gripping" of the ball, and your thumb definitely should not have a need to bend inside the thumbhole. Try some tape in the thumb, and check your span. I highly doubt it is the weight of the ball stressing your hand/fingers.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I broke my psychological barrier last night! :neckbeard:

231-234-244 for a sweet 709! :D I'm loving my Nano. Next stop, sanctioned 300!

Also last night I saw back to back 300s from the same teammates, which I hadn't seen before.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went to a different alley today and talked to the guy in the pro shop to see if he had any ideas what might be going on. I told him what was happening and he took a look at my grip and said, throw a piece of tape in your thumbhole and if that doesn't fix it come see me and I'll watch you bowl.

First game with piece of tape was a 227!

So, ya, just needed a piece of tape to help my grip better and that seemed to help a lot.

Threw 4 games total, 227-159(was super hungry, ate after this game), 190-219.

So, much better improvement over yesterday. I managed to record my last game too and I'm gonna edit it down and post it if anyone wants to check it out.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

So, much better improvement over yesterday. I managed to record my last game too and I'm gonna edit it down and post it if anyone wants to check it out.

Do it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zahgaegun posted:

Do it!

Uploading it now and I'm gonna edit all out the dead air time, there was old peoples leagues goin on so I had some slowish people next to me. Gimme like 30 minutes and I should be done.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Toad on a Hat posted:

I broke my psychological barrier last night! :neckbeard:

231-234-244 for a sweet 709! :D I'm loving my Nano. Next stop, sanctioned 300!

Nice. Are you in the Wednesday night league?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Alright this took forever to edit in iMovie, on my freaking phone so you guys better watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPjt0L3g9o

This is my 219, 4th game of the day, 8th game in 2 days. I was kinda tired at this point and I somehow deleted one of my strikes in the 10th, but, there I am.

Critique, comments, should I just give up now? :)

I'm using like I said an Ebonite Evolve and it is a 15pound ball I weighted it the other day.

Also, it takes less than 5 minutes to bowl a complete game, lol.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 20, 2012

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mattfl posted:

Alright this took forever to edit in iMovie, on my freaking phone so you guys better watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPjt0L3g9o

This is my 219, 4th game of the day, 8th game in 2 days. I was kinda tired at this point and I somehow deleted one of my strikes in the 10th, but, there I am.

Critique, comments, should I just give up now? :)

I'm using like I said an Ebonite Evolve and it is a 15pound ball I weighted it the other day.

Also, it takes less than 5 minutes to bowl a complete game, lol.
Looks like you're not getting much of a backswing. It doesn't look like a very natural, pendulum swing. Makes your bowling motion seem a bit jerked, lots of stress on the arm. No wonder your tendons are getting tired after a few games.

It looks like you're basically planting your last step in order to balance yourself and generate the torque needed to release the ball. I see my brother do this all the time to throw a heavy ball faster.

I'm not sure if that's a huge problem, or what the solution would be (lighter ball, slower approach, higher backswing, longer slide, etc). It's just something I notice that seems like it might contribute to the difficulty in aiming your shots (a number of releases ended up way left).

Your spare shots seem a little slower, too.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Not bad. Only critique I can really give is too keep your arm straighter and try to get lower. Maybe try some more tape in the ball. I highly doubt that one piece of tape took you from hurting after 3 games to a perfect fit. The less you grip the ball the easier it will be to keep that arm straight. All in all you look pretty good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pander posted:

Looks like you're not getting much of a backswing. It doesn't look like a very natural, pendulum swing. Makes your bowling motion seem a bit jerked, lots of stress on the arm. No wonder your tendons are getting tired after a few games.

It looks like you're basically planting your last step in order to balance yourself and generate the torque needed to release the ball. I see my brother do this all the time to throw a heavy ball faster.

I'm not sure if that's a huge problem, or what the solution would be (lighter ball, slower approach, higher backswing, longer slide, etc). It's just something I notice that seems like it might contribute to the difficulty in aiming your shots (a number of releases ended up way left).

Your spare shots seem a little slower, too.

My average speed is between 14-16. I'm using a 4 step approach now and I seem to be taking the ball back about when my third step is coming down, so doesn't seem like much time to have a good backswing and then put the ball onto the lane. Maybe I'll experiment with a 5 step, or bringing the ball back sooner in my approach.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mattfl posted:

My average speed is between 14-16. I'm using a 4 step approach now and I seem to be taking the ball back about when my third step is coming down, so doesn't seem like much time to have a good backswing and then put the ball onto the lane. Maybe I'll experiment with a 5 step, or bringing the ball back sooner in my approach.

Really? Wow, looked 17+ on your strike release. Figured it was a 4-step approach. I do a 4-step too, and I'm usually bringing the ball back on mid-step-2.

Changing the approach is hard as hell...it's still my best guess as to why you're having inconsistent release aims.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pander posted:

Really? Wow, looked 17+ on your strike release. Figured it was a 4-step approach. I do a 4-step too, and I'm usually bringing the ball back on mid-step-2.

Changing the approach is hard as hell...it's still my best guess as to why you're having inconsistent release aims.

Well, this lane didn't have the mph setup or something. Yesterday when I was bowling it was between 14-16. However, it felt better today so maybe it was a bit quicker. Think I'll goto the lanes tomorrow and experiment with different approaches, more steps, changing when I start my back swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

toenut posted:

Nice. Are you in the Wednesday night league?

Thursday night league. You in Wednesday?

• Locked thread