Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Nice! How much torque does that sucker have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
200ft/lb

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Recently helped a buddy switch on his winter wheels/tires and was reminded of the one thing those crappy included car jacks have over our floor jacks; they won't gnarl up your pinch weld jack points. We got his wheels changed over without doing any damage, but I went ahead and made a hockey puck pinch weld protector for future use.

+

+

=

Puck was $2 from Dick's.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Jared592 posted:

Recently helped a buddy switch on his winter wheels/tires and was reminded of the one thing those crappy included car jacks have over our floor jacks; they won't gnarl up your pinch weld jack points. We got his wheels changed over without doing any damage, but I went ahead and made a hockey puck pinch weld protector for future use.

+

+

=

Puck was $2 from Dick's.

I did that with a scrap 2x4 chunk, then forgot it was there for a few days of driving. It held fast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's an awesome idea. I use a 4x4 block, but without a groove. It doesn't cradle the pinch weld, but it spreads the load out over a longer distance along the weld and keeps it from bending. I'll see if my dad has a piece of 2x4 laying around I can use instead (the extra height from the 4x4 has its own issues, anyway).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can't seem to find a picture right now, but Biltema (Harbour Freight for Scandinavians) have this semi-soft off white rubber hockey puck thingy (100 mm diameter/30 mm thick ish) which is really cool for this. It's pliable and large enough to not munch up pinch welds or destroy proprietary BMW jack points, and cheap enough to replace when it gets munched up years down the line.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanted to show off my latest box.

New in the front, outgoing is a black 40". New is a Snap On KRL722 in Atomic Orange. Now I have a box that matches my cart!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

This setup kicks rear end

UPDATE: I've worked on three cars with it so far and still loving it. There are occasionally bolts it can't break loose and I have to fetch the breaker bar, but for 99% of the bolts on a car it works a treat. I did 6 wheels, and 20-30 bolts with it and the big battery (not shown) still had half a charge or so according to the fuel gauge. What's kind of odd is that sometimes it can tighten a bolt that it can't remove. Great impact wrench though.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

New in the front, outgoing is a black 40". New is a Snap On KRL722 in Atomic Orange. Now I have a box that matches my cart!

The Snap On truck must have these on sale or something, I know two people that have bought these in the last week. They are pretty awesome boxes, especially in extreme green. Do you mind saying what you paid for it? Just curious to compare it to what the guy I work with paid for his.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oh my god that is perfect.
The amount of space I could free up in my garage with that thing would be ridiculous.
I could lose 2 tool chests a workbench and some random drawers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Aceshighxxx posted:

Do you mind saying what you paid for it? Just curious to compare it to what the guy I work with paid for his.

I paid around 4k after 2200 in trade in credit for my little 40".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

There must be some mechanic culture I am not privy to... 'cause a $6,200 tool box seems beyond ridiculous to me, unless you have so much money to throw around that you've run out of things to buy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well my 40" was bought in 2004, spent most of until 2010 shuttling between spending its days out in the weather in my back yard to three shops and two states and it still looked brand new and worked perfectly. They're damned good, and damned expensive and its more a plan for what's ahead.

E: it also came with a 430 dollar tool voucher card for more toys and a neat jacket so yeah part of it is I just wanted a bigger box because I ran out of room in the other one.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 23, 2011

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

meatpimp posted:

There must be some mechanic culture I am not privy to... 'cause a $6,200 tool box seems beyond ridiculous to me, unless you have so much money to throw around that you've run out of things to buy.
Yeah this is a mechanic culture thing. These boxes are awesome, and you can even get them with security systems complete with a little remote keyfob and other funny stuff like that. It's sort of a mechanic's e-penis thing, but they are legitimately excellent and are warranteed out the rear end. I'm not a mechanic, but I've known a few who worked at dealerships and I picked up on a lot of the culture of the job.

It's easy to become deeply indebted to the Snap-on guy, as they'll throw just about anything into a payment plan for you. My one buddy was a good 10k+ in for a while there IIRC. Just don't go doing anything stupid to get fired while you're in that deep.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 23, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FUuuuuuuuuCK $6200 for a toolcart :assholepuckers:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jared592 posted:

Just don't go doing anything stupid to get fired while you're in that deep.

Decision came partially from I'm getting sent for emissions certifications in January (so I doubt they're planning on getting rid of someone who just became more valuable to them) and I went with a 3 year payment plan so even though I pay a bit more in interest at the end of the day, I have the possibility to pay it off sooner if I can afford it and if for whatever reason it's a barebones week I can still make the payments to the pusher man.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FUuuuuuuuuCK $6200 for a toolcart :assholepuckers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4GzkUFo92I

E: they get bigger

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 23, 2011

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

At that point, doesn't portability lose all meaning? Why wouldn't it be better to just build some permanent cabinents?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You could wheel it into a trailer or something.

Although at $6000+ I'd hope you could drive it to work.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Uthor posted:

At that point, doesn't portability lose all meaning? Why wouldn't it be better to just build some permanent cabinents?

Permanent cabinets can't go with you when you leave; if it was a home garage, hell yeah, but in the trade the box has to be able to go with you at the drop of a hat.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Uthor posted:

You wouldn't get something like that for your garage, you'd get it if you were a professional contractor doing construction or whatnot. Hot drat, that actually looks perfect for shipping off to various job-sites, way nicer than a jobox and no dicking around with pallet jacks or forklifts to move it, either. With wheels like that, a crew shouldn't have much issue negotiating parking lots and doorways that often foil castors.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Although at $6000+ I'd hope you could drive it to work.

It weighs about as much as a car so I don't see why I couldn't get it up on top of Queen Anne hill and let gravity do the rest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It weighs about as much as a car so I don't see why I couldn't get it up on top of Queen Anne hill and let gravity do the rest.

Does your toolbox have four-wheel disc brakes with ABS? It doesn't? You poor. :smuggo:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does your toolbox have four-wheel disc brakes with ABS? It doesn't? You poor. :smuggo:

I imagine someone building their toolbox onto the back of their truck. Then they simply drive in the car to be repaired, leave the bay doors open, and then back their tool-truck into the bay to have access to the bed/toolbox.

It'd qualify for this...

Splizwarf posted:

but in the trade the box has to be able to go with you at the drop of a hat.

... unless the truck doesn't start.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Sockington posted:

I imagine someone building their toolbox onto the back of their truck. Then they simply drive in the car to be repaired, leave the bay doors open, and then back their tool-truck into the bay to have access to the bed/toolbox.
gently caress that. I just pull the entire car into one of the hangers on my tool ark.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So, a sandcrawler then?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Uthor posted:

At that point, doesn't portability lose all meaning?

At that point I hope it's drive-able. It needs a refrigerator and a Goldwing motor.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Nice box. I want to get the big red HF set for a fraction of the price, even though it's more storage than I'd ever need for the tools that I have.

Godzilla525
Sep 28, 2010

Jared592 posted:

+

+

=

Puck was $2 from Dick's.

I did this as well for the same reason and forgot about it when I was cleaning up. It hung on the car for about a mile or so before I heard it fall off and bounce away somewhere. :v:

One thing that bugs me when I go tool shopping is that there is an entire aisle devoted to cordless screwdrivers but only one or two models of drill presses, and they both have wobbly spindles. The Dremel one isn't much help since it's largely plastic, and the spindle runout on every Dremel I've picked up is awful and results in chattering or the drill wandering off (never mind how far back the front bearing is in the housing).

One of these days I'd like to make cases and heatsinks for electronic projects that don't look like I've attacked a metal box with a can opener. I shouldn't need a full-blown metal shop to do it...at least I hope not.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Godzilla525 posted:

One of these days I'd like to make cases and heatsinks for electronic projects that don't look like I've attacked a metal box with a can opener. I shouldn't need a full-blown metal shop to do it...at least I hope not.

If you can't make a good looking hole in aluminum or mild steel with a hand drill then you're doing something wrong. Most likely you're using far too much rpm and your drills are dulled to poo poo. Get a set of decent HSS bits and learn to sharpen or replace them when they get dull. Cutting oil is mandatory for steel, good for aluminum, bad for brass. A center punch or center drill will keep your larger drills from walking and help starting.

Speed chart. Good starting point for speeds, I'd run even slower than what they recommend.
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/drill_speed/

Old dude who knows everything about metalworking rambles on for a while about drills. :3
http://youtu.be/rUMTJ9GZIC8

If you want a really good drill press search CL for something old and heavy as poo poo.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 24, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Theres no way youre going to make $6200 on having that over this: http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

Which for the money is quite a good box. Far far far better than comparably priced craftsmans. This highlights what I have never understood about the mechanic culture. There is no way that box will ever pay for itself in profits. If you were to buy an on car brake lathe you could say well I turn X number of brakes now plus I expect it to bring in Z number of jobs of this period and it'll pay for itself in Y number of weeks. When it comes to many snap on tools like tool boxes, in 20 years of being a mechanic, you'll never get $6200 worth of business or efficiency gain out of it.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Lord Gaga posted:

Theres no way youre going to make $6200 on having that over this: http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

Which for the money is quite a good box. Far far far better than comparably priced craftsmans. This highlights what I have never understood about the mechanic culture. There is no way that box will ever pay for itself in profits. If you were to buy an on car brake lathe you could say well I turn X number of brakes now plus I expect it to bring in Z number of jobs of this period and it'll pay for itself in Y number of weeks. When it comes to many snap on tools like tool boxes, in 20 years of being a mechanic, you'll never get $6200 worth of business or efficiency gain out of it.

A toolbox made in RED CHINA? Buying one of those is like a woman nascar driver parking a crocheted rainbow Prius V on Dale's grave, shutting down Are Factories™ while crying bald eagles soar overhead. O'Bummer :(

It's either that or going into Snapon slavery. A friend of mine did just that when Snapon gave him student discounts, he escaped and valets cars now for loads more cash money.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand, its built like a tank and could probably survive an atom bomb. To each their own, but I just happen to think that its worth it to me to have a bangin' box and a car that doesn't run :v:

E: just a bit more insight, I bought my snap on 40" 8 years ago, it spent seasons outside, moved from school to shop to shop to state to shop, and still looks opens and rolls like new. Its had hundreds of pounds of tools loaded into and on it, and it always asked for more. I don't have too many things that are truly nice except for my tools, so they deserve a nice box to go along with it. I bought the little one for 1300 and traded in for 2200 credit after all this, so even if its an isolated incident the box itself will hold value longer better than a cheapy box. So while it may not make me direct profits, its still got value to me.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 24, 2011

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Theres a big difference between being a guy who works on his car at home and being a guy who works on cars for a living in a shop. A nice toolbox can be worth it and thats all I'll say since I already discussed it a bunch of pages ago when somebody was asking about a Craftsman box.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wasn't questioning the worth of a good tool box but rather the worth of a tool box that is 12 feet long and weighs a ton (unloaded). I can't even picture how you'd move something like that. Put a hitch on it and tow it behind your truck?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, gotcha. I was just feeling a little self conscious because people are right, it IS a hell of a lot of money for just a box. As for the bigger ones, Shodan at work (seriously his name is Shodan) has a huge one with twin side cabinets and a top box, but then he's a 15 year master tech and it's pretty much full and as far as I know hes not planning on going anywhere soon. So you're right it's "portable" in that you might be able to move it. Most of the big ones I see being moved are strapped to the liftgate on the back of the tool truck or a similar solution.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lord Gaga posted:

I have this box in my garage. It's great for the hobbyist, but I'd stick with the more expensive ones if I did this for a living.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Speed chart. Good starting point for speeds, I'd run even slower than what they recommend.
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/drill_speed/

Another quick way to determine an appropriate drill speed is the '100/100 Rule', which basically breaks down to:

A 100mm bit should be spun at 100 rpm. So if you half the drill size double the speed etc. So a 10mm drill is ~1000rpm. This is for steel.

Obviously its for those of us who stick to metric only, but it was always used as a guideline when we were taught fitting/machining in Australia.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Uthor posted:

I wasn't questioning the worth of a good tool box but rather the worth of a tool box that is 12 feet long and weighs a ton (unloaded). I can't even picture how you'd move something like that. Put a hitch on it and tow it behind your truck?

I move mine by renting a flatbed trailer and winching it on with a tow strap - it's 6' x 9' x 4' and ~2800lbs loaded. And it still only holds 3/4 of my tools.

It was more than a new car cost when I bought it back in 1993, but if I'd bought a new car, it would be in the junkyard by now, and my box is still around and looks pretty good.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 26, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
While shopping for an ugly christmas sweater, I picked up a Makita JR3000V reciprocating saw for $13.99 at Goodwill. It's in decent shape for a tool old enough to come in a metal box. I have no planned projects but I figured fourteen dollar sawzall, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's not necessarily an automotive tool, but I got a jawhorse for christmas, and goddamn is it awesome.

Although it can do 1 ton of pressure as a machine press, so I suppose i can use it to do my suspension bushings.