Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Again, I hate to get all wistful for what could have been, but Tony Schiavone announcing on Raw would have been a crazy moment.

Especially a resentful, hateful Tony Schiavonie.

"Welcome everyone to Monday Nitro, owned by the most vile, disgusting human being to ever live on this place we call the World. I'm Tony Schiavonie and I'm pissed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
"Welcome to the most horrible night in the history of our sport ladies and gentleman"

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
What could have been?

Mike Tenay: Worse than Russo. :mad:

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 15, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Moose Bigelow posted:

They never actually had a match. It was a "confrontation" at the ppv and DDP didn't get in any offense.

Sara pinned him in 6 seconds on the August 20 2001 RAW (after a chokeslam on the outside by Undertaker). The video's on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xqcun_wrestlefanatic77_raw-8-20-01/1#videoId=x7em1b

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Again, if you completely forget about what a WCW invasion SHOULD look like, I think the Invasion storyline was fun.

It brought in a bunch of new faces, realigned a bunch of guys who were getting boring, and provided a lot of new matches.

It's the equivalent of a big crossover event in comic books. Sometimes they flop, but at least it's something new and fresh. Wrestling is really missing that nowadays.
This is how I feel.

Lone Rogue posted:

When you put that much talent in the ring you're eventually going to accidentally get something good.
This is also a very valid point though.

Watching Nitro back I can't believe how ever Bagwell was, wrestling aside his personality just makes him insufferable.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Sue Denim posted:

Watching Nitro back I can't believe how over Bagwell was, wrestling aside his personality just makes him insufferable.

Wrestling was strange back then... wrestling itself was so popular that it made stars of people that maybe didn't deserve it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Wrestling was strange back then... wrestling itself was so popular that it made stars of people that maybe didn't deserve it.

If this is a comment on Ralphus we're gonna fight.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Or Judy Bagwell for that matter.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flashy_mcflash posted:

Or Jeff Jarrett for that matter.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Do you have a problem, With J-E-Double F J-A-Double R- E-Double T, slappy?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Jeff Jarrett in his 1996 WCW Run was the worst ever... half of his matches was him strutting or dancing or saying "ha! ha!" after every sentence in his interviews.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

Jeff Jarrett in his 1996 WCW Run was the worst ever... half of his matches was him strutting or dancing or saying "ha! ha!" after every sentence in his interviews.

But it led to the best Jeff Jarrett ever in 1997 WWF, where he would strut and dance along with Tennessee Lee and also ride a horse with glowing jackets and "JJ" pyro

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

triplexpac posted:

But it led to the best Jeff Jarrett ever in 1997 WWF, where he would strut and dance along with Tennessee Lee and also ride a horse with glowing jackets and "JJ" pyro

This man knows what he is talking about.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

triplexpac posted:

I'd still choose Jeff Jarrett making little kids tap out.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
No version of Jeff Jarrett beats the horse-riding flashing white outfit incarnation.

Ain't he great?!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I hope TNA folds one day and Jarrett comes back to WWE with a combination of all his old gimmicks, Taker style. Ain't I great, slapnuts?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

I totally thought we were gonna see Flair's Horsemen vs. Jarrett's Horsemen :eng99:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Astro7x posted:

I love his awful entrance music, it just tickles me in the brain for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVEVC0Hp5A

Of course later it was remixed into the West Texas Redneck's second theme, GOOD OLD BOYS. I mention this just because the Rednecks were awesome, and changing their theme killed their heat and gently caress you WCW.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The only Jeff Jarrett theme that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7xS3uPwlM

God bless Jimmy Hart and his lovely ripoffs of real songs.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

And every single time he fell, it was in the exact same position with his arms and legs splayed out. I hated him for that alone.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

1st AD posted:

The only Jeff Jarrett theme that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7xS3uPwlM

God bless Jimmy Hart and his lovely ripoffs of real songs.

I think your link messed up and you meant to give this one instead.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9axmq_jeff-jarrett-wwe-nwa-theme-1997-199_sport

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

http://youtu.be/MgYLR6kHuEM

'99 Jarrett is second best Jarrett.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jarrett is really great when not being pushed like the biggest star in the company.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Jarrett is really great when not being pushed like the biggest star in the company.

He is the ultimate upper midcarder.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUM6sbx12e0&feature=related

This is the best music-related Jeff Jarrett thing ever. :colbert:

There is a lip-synching hint at 2:12

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
WWE Vintage had some nice Battlebowl 1992 tag matches today. Battlebowl was where you had random tag teams, the winners moving on into a battle royal at the end of the card. So far I've watched:

- Van Hammer and Dan Spivey vs. Johnny B. Badd and Cactus Jack
- Big Van Vader and Dustin Rhodes vs. Kensuke Sasaki and the Barbarian
- Barry Windham and the Great Muta vs. Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio
- Sting and Steve Williams vs. Jushin Liger and Erik Watts

All pretty entertaining matches. The WWE should bring this concept back.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'd agree if "random tag team" wasn't WWE S.O.P. already.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Psychlone posted:

WWE Vintage had some nice Battlebowl 1992 tag matches today. Battlebowl was where you had random tag teams, the winners moving on into a battle royal at the end of the card. So far I've watched:

TNA is actually doing one of these now, though I'm not sure if it's going to end in a battle royal or just a title shot for the winning team.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Here is an odd but pretty solid squash match between Macho Man and Billy Kidman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSsyW9NZyZg

If you are wondering who is joining Bobby Heenan and Scott Hudson on commentary it is Robert Wuhl from Arli$$ in character. For those who thankfully don't remember Arli$$, it's an HBO comedy about a sports agent. Just think Jerry Maguire meets The Larry Sanders Show minus the comedy. Robert Wuhl spends the entire commentary talking up Dennis Rodman as the savior of WCW.

None of that is important because something magical happens at the 7 minute and 55 second mark. There is also an opening promo where Randy declares his candidacy for President and a post match showdown with Dennis Rodman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Found this tidbit in the new Observer back issue:

quote:

Some controversy surrounding the Thanksgiving show at the Omni. With Hogan vs. Flair out of the picture and Vader booked for Japan, they had no match suitable for headlining a 16,500 seat arena, however a lot of the TBS brass wanted a show to take their families to see so it's going to take place. Current plan is Dusty & Dustin vs. Anderson & Buck on top in a cage at every house show in November but there is pressure to get Hogan to work the Omni show since those same brass want to see Hogan.

Also:

quote:

WCW is charging $500 for front row in Detroit on 10/23 with the ticketholders getting their photos taken with Hogan and Muhammad Ali and personally autographed and the money going to Ali's charity, but as of last week, only three tickets had been sold.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Psychlone posted:

I've always loved the Battlebowl concept and this would be a poo poo-hot way to merge the brands if they ever decided to do that. It'd be so easy to reboot the company with this because you can build in feuds among partners and create a bunch of new teams while you're at it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I remember hearing somewhere Tony Schivaonie legitimately disliked one of his co-hosts, but I can't remember which one. Any ideas? I seem to remember it was Tenay but I can't be sure.

Watching 1999 Nitro's back I never realised what an rear end hole he was on-air before. He's always making GBS threads on the other commentators.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Sue Denim posted:

Watching 1999 Nitro's back I never realised what an rear end hole he was on-air before. He's always making GBS threads on the other commentators.

He was like a more tolerable Michael Cole.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sue Denim posted:

I remember hearing somewhere Tony Schivaonie legitimately disliked one of his co-hosts, but I can't remember which one. Any ideas? I seem to remember it was Tenay but I can't be sure.

Maybe Zbysko? Or Madden? Both would be good candidates to be hated.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe Zbysko? Or Madden? Both would be good candidates to be hated.
He apparently didn't like working with Heenan either since they had different styles.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That makes sense too. WCW Heenan wasn't anything like WWF Heenan. Bobby was phoning it in a bit in his time there.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I remember him verbally chewing out The Brain on Nitro once. It was around the time of the Kidman vs. Phsycosis Hair vs. Mask match.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think he disliked both Heenan and Tenay in some weird kind of power trip bullshit where he knew what was happening but he kept it from the others. I thought he was a good announcer because he really knew the history behind stuff plus he just has a commentator's voice to me. I heard he got bitter after being passed over in favor of Bischoff taking the reigns of the company.

Plus no one could spin that straw into gold talking about WCW in its dying years.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I just finished reading The Death of WCW. What a great read! I've wanted to know the ins and outs of WCWS gently caress ups and wow, they really were hosed. I do wonder what the Pro wrestling landscape would look like these days if they were still around though.

In WCW mode I fired up WCW Mayhem on the PS1, and the commentary in that game is still awesome compared to the current PS3 games.

In true WCW fashion, I had a random match at Slamboree, it was Scott Hall vs Juvi.G , Hall proceeds to squash Juvi in 4 minutes for the win. Surprised Nash didn't turn up!

Also changed Smackdown on WWE 12 to nitro, instead of complaining about stupidly booked matches and angles, I can just say 'heh, nitro'.

I do wish Tony S would commentate on either TNA or WWE, I love his voice. Cole is stupid, and I can't stand Tazz, and to a lesser extent, Tenays lil grindin' voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Tony probably hates Dusty and Heenan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY