Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

As it's almost the end of the year - what were your top albums?

Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Taake - Kveld
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
Mercenary - Metamorphosis
Darkestrah - Khagan
Orphaned Land - The Road to Or-Shalem
Haken - Visions
The Project Hate - Bleeding the New Apocalypse

No particular order, because I couldn't say whether Dream Theater or Primordial had the (in my opinion) best album of the year.

I didn't realize what a good year it's been. I usually can't think of 10 releases I really liked, and this year I'm actually leaving a lot off. Also apparently I really need to listen to the new Tyr.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
No one liked the new Mastodon, Megadeth, Anthrax and Opeth albums?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I can't say there were too many albums that really wowed me this year.

My top two albums by a mile are:

Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients

Celestial Lineage grabbed be right away. Listening to it was practically a religious experience and I think it's far and above WiTTR's best work and a fitting end for them as a band.

Living with the Ancients was a bit of a slow burn for me. At first I dismissed it, feeling that the band had abandoned a lot of the cheesiness and the dominating role of the flute that I enjoyed so much from the first album. But, giving it a second chance a few months later, the album resonated with me as a much for mature production than their first effort and I fell head over heels for it.

honourable mentions in no particular order:

Earth - Angels of Darkness Demons of Light I
Bongripper - Sex Tape/Snuff Film
Dopethrone - Dark Foil
Hunters - From Birth to Soil
Thorr-Axe - Wall of Spears
Midnight Odyssey - Funerals From the Astral Sphere
Absu - Abzu
Weedeater - ...Jason the Dragon

Double Deuce
Nov 26, 2011
Was this mystery was ever solved?

MrBling posted:

het has a challenge for the thread.

which band logo is the bottom right logo based on?

Looks to me like the logo for Phantom Witch:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Double Deuce posted:

Looks to me like the logo for Phantom Witch:

Wow, that looks closer than anything I've seen before, the only thing that gives me pause is how the jodeci one angles down at the ends rather than upwards. Other than that it's dead on.

Also, poo poo, I missed a Darkestrah album?

BTW, m-o-o-n, isn't your band Cult of Endtime? I have 3 tracks I think you posted earlier this year, been going back to them every so often, very good stuff.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

het posted:

BTW, m-o-o-n, isn't your band Cult of Endtime? I have 3 tracks I think you posted earlier this year, been going back to them every so often, very good stuff.

That's us, yeah. Glad you're enjoying it. We've been evolving further into an uglier, grimier, almost doom-death entity since we released the Nuclear Witch demo and I'm pretty excited about it.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

No one liked the new Mastodon, Megadeth, Anthrax and Opeth albums?

The problem with the Megadeth album is that half the tracks weren't modern Megadeth, they were b-sides and spare tracks from older albums. It was a good album, but I consider it more of a leftover greatest hits album than a true modern Megadeth disc.

I'm going to get crucified for this, but my top metal album of 2011 was Arch Enemy's, namely because I've got really bad taste. It's the album I've listened to the most, though. The solo on Under Black Flags We March is great.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Double Deuce posted:

Looks like Deathchain to me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

co199 posted:

I'm going to get crucified for this, but my top metal album of 2011 was Arch Enemy's, namely because I've got really bad taste. It's the album I've listened to the most, though. The solo on Under Black Flags We March is great.
Well I'll join ya on the cross then, because I loving love Arch Enemy to bits. Although, the new album didn't quite grip me despite being certainly good. Rise of the Tyrant is loving kickass though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

aliencowboy posted:

Earth - Angels of Darkness Demons of Light I
Bongripper - Sex Tape/Snuff Film
Dopethrone - Dark Foil
Hunters - From Birth to Soil
Thorr-Axe - Wall of Spears
Midnight Odyssey - Funerals From the Astral Sphere
Absu - Abzu
Weedeater - ...Jason the Dragon

Holy poo poo I forgot half of these came out this year. From birth to soil has been in constant rotation since its release (it's also perfect weight lifting music).

And Dark Foil is loving amazing (among the others you listed).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
It took me a while to ponder my list.

At the top is Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage by a mile, then...

Boris - Heavy Rocks/Attention Please/New Album (they all came out almost at the exact same time so I'm counting them as one entry)
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light vol. 1
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
YOB - Atma
Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (haters gonna hate)
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

There are 4 bands that are inevitably on all my top 10 lists for any given year: WitTR, Boris, Agalloch, and the Melvins. Some of those bands may be going in weird directions that aren't as metal as they used to be (ahem, Boris), but I still love them. Like the way you'd love a really lovely finger-painting done by your retarded little brother.

edit-- God drat it doesn't feel like albums such as Marrow of the Spirit and Lawless Darkness came out a YEAR ago. I almost had both of those on my list before I realized they were 2010. gently caress, where does the time go?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

QPZIL posted:

edit-- God drat it doesn't feel like albums such as Marrow of the Spirit and Lawless Darkness came out a YEAR ago. I almost had both of those on my list before I realized they were 2010. gently caress, where does the time go?

I know, I'm in exactly the same boat. I've still got a ton of 2010 releases that I haven't listened to either at all or to give them the attention they deserve (Agalloch being one of the latter).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Spergio Leone posted:

(Agalloch being one of the latter).

Well put on some headphones right drat now and let John Haughm take you on a journey through the woods of Portland, Oregon.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

co199 posted:

Nordick posted:

Well I'll join ya on the cross then, because I loving love Arch Enemy to bits. Although, the new album didn't quite grip me despite being certainly good. Rise of the Tyrant is loving kickass though.

I want to like this album. Under Black Flags especially is catchy, but the lyrics (yeah, yeah who listens to metal for the words) are really annoying.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 22, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

het posted:

Also, poo poo, I missed a Darkestrah album?

It's an EP, but it's really good stuff.

So it seems like everyone here liked WitTR this year. And that seems like just about all we agree on.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm gonna give this more of a think later (and I haven't listened to too much metal this year) but off the top of my head I'm torn between Beyond Creation's The Aura (sample) and Haken's Visions (sample) as my album of the year. Both have been in heavy rotation since their release.

Misogynist posted:

All Pigs Must Die's God Is War
This is really good and reminds me a bit of Black Breath (though I'm not too familiar with Hardcore - maybe they sound familiar as these two bands are the only two Hardcore bands I've listened to? :v: )

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 22, 2011

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Hey, check out this new Into Oblivion song. It's a lot more streamlined and straight to the point than the material on Creation Of A Monolith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0r4HBKjssI

Speewah
May 28, 2011

QPZIL posted:

It took me a while to ponder my list.

At the top is Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage by a mile, then...

Boris - Heavy Rocks/Attention Please/New Album (they all came out almost at the exact same time so I'm counting them as one entry)
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light vol. 1
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
YOB - Atma
Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (haters gonna hate)
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

There are 4 bands that are inevitably on all my top 10 lists for any given year: WitTR, Boris, Agalloch, and the Melvins. Some of those bands may be going in weird directions that aren't as metal as they used to be (ahem, Boris), but I still love them. Like the way you'd love a really lovely finger-painting done by your retarded little brother.

:stare: When the hell did Crowbar put an album out? I had no clue they were even working on one. I'm gunna take you putting it in your list that is is worth picking up.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Are there any band's doing music like Carcass' Swansong? Like hard rock with death metalish vocals. Still one of my favorite albums, and I haven't really heard anything much like it. Multiple cowbell solos are a plus.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any band's doing music like Carcass' Swansong? Like hard rock with death metalish vocals. Still one of my favorite albums, and I haven't really heard anything much like it. Multiple cowbell solos are a plus.

Blood Duster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8-8rrmQW4

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are you familiar with death n roll at all? Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and stuff like that. Entombed, Six Feet Under, Gorefest's '96 and '98 albums, and Helltrain are the ones that come to mind. I realize that none of those are quite like "Swansong", but it might be what you're looking for.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you familiar with death n roll at all? Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and stuff like that. Entombed, Six Feet Under, Gorefest's '96 and '98 albums, and Helltrain are the ones that come to mind. I realize that none of those are quite like "Swansong", but it might be what you're looking for.
I would like to add Debauchery to that list. They have some plain death metal songs, but also a lot of stuff that's like AC/DC with death vocals. Case in point.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

IRQ posted:

So it seems like everyone here liked WitTR this year.

Not a chance :lol:

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you really recommending Six Feet Under? Ayeeee. Honestly, check out a lot of the early Swedish death metal bands that are still around like Entombed, Dismember, Grace, etc. They're heavier than Swansong but they still have the catchy and groovy riffs. I had a specific Swedish band in mind but I can't think of it right now ugh

ninja edit: NOT the Gothenburg melo-death bands! Just want to be very clear on that

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
RIP David "Ypres" Gold :(

Really sucky end to the year. I only recently got into Woods of Ypres, but I really like them. They were (are?) due to release a new album next year, too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Gr31lly posted:

Not a chance :lol:

I'm demoting your objective metal facts to be subjective opinions in my heart. :colbert:

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Really sucky end to the year. I only recently got into Woods of Ypres, but I really like them. They were (are?) due to release a new album next year, too.

I just saw this... I always thought he was a joke in the BM scene and such but it's really sad to see someone go so young and especially during the holidays. Plus, he worked really hard towards his music from what I've heard. R.I.P. David, my condolences go out to his family

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

aliencowboy posted:

I'm demoting your objective metal facts to be subjective opinions in my heart. :colbert:

Read the OP, you can't do this.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
Moonsorrow's Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa and Haken's Visions were probably my favourite releases of the year. I'm a huge Moonsorrow bitch, everything they release is gold to me.

Disappointments abound with Opeth, Mastodon, Cynic, and Devin Townsend, among other less noteworthy bands.

Ignorant controversy edit: Agalloch isn't that good and will forever be a poor man's Moonsorrow. The White EP is their best release.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 23, 2011

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

How'd he die? I find WoY boring but it sucks when people go when young. Going by his tweets that someone linked he wasn't entirely in high spirits.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Zodijackylite posted:

Or, on the other side of the spectrum, there's the newer Satyricon albums. They're more "black n roll" than "death n roll" I guess? I don't know, these labels are dumb.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Spergio Leone posted:

How'd he die? I find WoY boring but it sucks when people go when young. Going by his tweets that someone linked he wasn't entirely in high spirits.

Car accident.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Speaking of deaths, Cory Smoot's (Flattus Maximus from GWAR) death was ruled to be a heart attack, according to the medical examiner.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Orbital Sapling posted:

Moonsorrow's Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

One of my friends has been telling me about Moonsorrow for a while, but I never got around to checking them out until yesterday when I picked this album up and gave it a listen.

It's loving phenomenal and might be one of my favorites of the year. Huuto is an incredible song.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

Or, on the other side of the spectrum, there's the newer Satyricon albums. They're more "black n roll" than "death n roll" I guess? I don't know, these labels are dumb.

I! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tMlG9Kg0k

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
If people want to hear death n' roll then they should head for Finnish death metal/grindcore bands. The swathes of them that decided to start integrated rock structures into their music (before Entombed) is pretty staggering.

Notable bands would be Xysma (who probably have a legit claim on being the first death n roll band), Lubricant, Disgrace, Pakeni, Paraxism, amongst others.

Hell, some even did it while remaining death metal. Total rock progression and riffs.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 23, 2011

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Orbital Sapling posted:

Agalloch isn't that good and will forever be a poor man's Moonsorrow.
Not liking them's all fine and dandy, we all have our own tastes, but that latter part just plain doesn't make sense because their sounds are nothing alike.
I mean yeah, sure, both make long tracks of atmospheric metal, but that's just about the extent of their similarity. So what the hell?

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Assuming miserable winter driving conditions, Mr. Gold died in a very Canadian manner. Reminds me of a Stompin' Tom song.

RIP, Mr. Gold. Buying your new album as hard as I can. Now who is will create Seasonal Affective Disorder in musical form for the repressed, isolated citizens of Middle of Nowhere, Canada? :(

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Drifter287 posted:

One of my friends has been telling me about Moonsorrow for a while, but I never got around to checking them out until yesterday when I picked this album up and gave it a listen.

It's loving phenomenal and might be one of my favorites of the year. Huuto is an incredible song.

Oh man, just wait until you hear Hävitetty. In fact, you should just listen to all the Moonsorrow all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

Not liking them's all fine and dandy, we all have our own tastes, but that latter part just plain doesn't make sense because their sounds are nothing alike.
I mean yeah, sure, both make long tracks of atmospheric metal, but that's just about the extent of their similarity. So what the hell?

Yeah I don't understand this comparison either.