Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CommunistMojo posted:

"Hey guys I'm making GBS threads clotted blood but I'm not going to the doctor it'll be fine" - Matt Mira

I think if Jonah weren't a giant rear end in a top hat Mira would kill himself out of stupidity.

Mira just did a guest spot on The Indoor Kids and he was actually enjoyable to listen to. Except his laugh. My loving God.

Edit: Happy Everything episode. WTF? That was god drat awkward to listen to.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I love the way Mike Phirman plays two ukuleles at once.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: Happy Everything episode. WTF? That was god drat awkward to listen to.
I understand it. He's literally terrified that he's dying and said it on the podcast cause subconsciously he knows he needed a push to go see a doctor. It's still incredibly stupid and juvenile and if I were Jonah or Chris I wouldn't sit there on the podcast loving around about it, I'd turn the mics off for that discussion, then as long as I didn't have to work or give birth I'd go with him to an urgent care clinic after he was done with B-roll to make sure he did it.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I don't know if this is where to ask this, but has anyone read The Nerdist Way? My uncle got me it for christmas and was wondering if it's really good and should read it before my other stack of books for break or save it for later

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

indigi posted:

I understand it. He's literally terrified that he's dying and said it on the podcast cause subconsciously he knows he needed a push to go see a doctor. It's still incredibly stupid and juvenile and if I were Jonah or Chris I wouldn't sit there on the podcast loving around about it, I'd turn the mics off for that discussion, then as long as I didn't have to work or give birth I'd go with him to an urgent care clinic after he was done with B-roll to make sure he did it.

I love Mira's dry, cynical sense of humor but Chris and Jonah can't tell when he's not trying to be funny and it's serious.

"Someone called me fat at a store and I was so ashamed I put my food back"

Cue Jonah and Chris loving losing it.

I'm relatively new to the Nerdist. Is this normal behavior? I felt genuinely bad for him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love Mira's dry, cynical sense of humor but Chris and Jonah can't tell when he's not trying to be funny and it's serious.

"Someone called me fat at a store and I was so ashamed I put my food back"

Cue Jonah and Chris loving losing it.

I'm relatively new to the Nerdist. Is this normal behavior? I felt genuinely bad for him.

Mira is the guy in your group of friends that everyone gives poo poo because he makes it so damned easy. He consistantly does dumb poo poo and admits it. I can't help thinking he would have an actual comedy career if he would get out of his own way. If you listen to the back episodes it starts to make more sense why he gets so much poo poo.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

goldblums eyes posted:

I don't know if this is where to ask this, but has anyone read The Nerdist Way? My uncle got me it for christmas and was wondering if it's really good and should read it before my other stack of books for break or save it for later

It is very much a self-help book for nerds. It's a good read, especially if your life is anything like 2003 Christ Hardwick. The three main topics of the book are about : "owning your mind" and dealing with rejection, fear, decision-making, etc.; improving yourself physically and learning how to workout properly; and learning how to organize your time and finances. The chapter involving physical fitness is pretty neat - it provides illustrations on how to use various types of gym equipment accompanied by detailed steps about execution. (This was the most useful chapter to me. I'd been a member of a gym for over a year and hadn't the foggiest idea on how to use some of the exercise machines).

It's an easy book to read in one day, and you could definitely read it at the same time as another book.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Did anyone watch the BBC special? It was great. I have developed such a huge crush on Wil Wheaton because of his appearances on the podcast and this show. He's so damned cute with the walrus.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Did anyone watch the BBC special? It was great. I have developed such a huge crush on Wil Wheaton because of his appearances on the podcast and this show. He's so damned cute with the walrus.

I thought it was enjoyable for the most part. Felt abit too "circle-jerk"y with Wil Wheaton and Nathan Fillion, but otherwise good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Listening to the new standup special, this has really fallen off a cliff since last year. I'm about halfway in and had to put the Diani and Devine part on 2x, it is not funny in the slightest. I mean, maybe if I were drunk and one of my 12 year old cousins were pitching me this sketch after Christmas dinner I'd feel more charitable, but I'd still encourage them to take another few cracks at the script.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The David Tennant episode was pretty charming.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

indigi posted:

Listening to the new standup special, this has really fallen off a cliff since last year. I'm about halfway in and had to put the Diani and Devine part on 2x, it is not funny in the slightest. I mean, maybe if I were drunk and one of my 12 year old cousins were pitching me this sketch after Christmas dinner I'd feel more charitable, but I'd still encourage them to take another few cracks at the script.

That guy with the duck story should follow his grandfather's advice and get the gently caress out of comedy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
These guys are coming to my town in April, I'm probably gonna get tickets, excited!

(more exciting is that I got a ticket to David Cross doing stand-up in March at the same theatre.)

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Neck and milk jokes? I hope this gets better soon; I half expect him to start making jokes about airplane food.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

I've noticed this thread isn't as popular as some of the other podcast ones. The show is still good but sometimes the guests can be lame and I don't like their live shows as much because they bring out guests who aren't great or pander to crowds who are kind of lame.

That said I enjoyed the last Jonah and Chris podcast before New Year's and was sad to hear Chris allude to his break up with Janet Varney. I am looking forward to the next Nerdist special this Saturday.

Lastly, that stand up cluster was terrible. If Chris chose those comedians then he must have terrible taste in comedy because outside of Pete Holmes and Brent Weinbach they were horrible. Which is weird because his stand up is good. I'm not listening to another stand up cluster unless I recognize the comedians next time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

That said I enjoyed the last Jonah and Chris podcast before New Year's and was sad to hear Chris allude to his break up with Janet Varney. I am looking forward to the next Nerdist special this Saturday.
I didn't even notice this bit. I'm elated because my chances with her have increased from .00000001% to .000000015%

I felt the same way about the stand-up cluster, but was extremely surprised because last year's was so good. Kumail, Braunger, Chris Fairbanks, Jackie Kaishan, and Kyle Kinane are all brilliantly funny and Jonah and Chris had good spots as well. The only guys I liked this year were Pete Holmes and Rory Scovel. I hardly cracked a smile otherwise.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

indigi posted:

I didn't even notice this bit. I'm elated because my chances with her have increased from .00000001% to .000000015%

I felt the same way about the stand-up cluster, but was extremely surprised because last year's was so good. Kumail, Braunger, Chris Fairbanks, Jackie Kaishan, and Kyle Kinane are all brilliantly funny and Jonah and Chris had good spots as well. The only guys I liked this year were Pete Holmes and Rory Scovel. I hardly cracked a smile otherwise.

Yeah, actually I did enjoy Scovel's set and Mira was okay since he was just being himself. After Kumail and Chris did their spots it went downhill pretty quick though.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I have a feeling they were just friends of Chris who were new to stand up, and he was giving them an opportunity to try out their material.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I downloaded a few episodes of this and while I won't say it's great, I think it's good. Really depends on the guest and how well they interact with Chris. Not sure what others think, but Chris has always come across as someone who is incredibly witty and funny but doesn't have enough confidence in himself to express it more.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I think Chris is fine until he starts doing that olde-tyme radio voice thing. Those bits are never worth it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can't get the "It's a question, it's a comment, it's a quemment." song out of my head.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Still catching up on old episodes and I just got to the Bryan Cranston one. Holy poo poo, is there another podcast on which stuff like Rainn Wilson just casually walking by happens? That was amazing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Where does he do the podcast at?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Sometimes they do it at the E! studios. I am so freaking happy they're coming to Michigan in April, wish tickets were on sale now so I can get it squared away but they're not yet. Ahh waiting sucks.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I downloaded a few episodes of this and while I won't say it's great, I think it's good. Really depends on the guest and how well they interact with Chris. Not sure what others think, but Chris has always come across as someone who is incredibly witty and funny but doesn't have enough confidence in himself to express it more.

Agreed. I like a lot of the jokes he makes, but often times he's far too worried about pleasing everyone and being as PC as possible. When he was in London he made a few jokes/rants over his Twitter feed concerning a "slut" (I think that's what it was?) he happened to see. A few minutes later he deleted all the tweets and was extremely apologetic about the whole matter. If he's a comedian, shouldn't he know there's always going to be /someone/ who will take offense to what you say, no matter what it is? And if he's going to make the conscious decision to write a tweet about a slut, I feel like he should just stick by it. Whenever I see him apologize after he says something that makes people butthurt, I get second-hand embarrassment.

Or, maybe I'm just used to comedians like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr who are generally offensive and never regret using their material.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Walrus Truck posted:

Agreed. I like a lot of the jokes he makes, but often times he's far too worried about pleasing everyone and being as PC as possible. When he was in London he made a few jokes/rants over his Twitter feed concerning a "slut" (I think that's what it was?) he happened to see. A few minutes later he deleted all the tweets and was extremely apologetic about the whole matter. If he's a comedian, shouldn't he know there's always going to be /someone/ who will take offense to what you say, no matter what it is? And if he's going to make the conscious decision to write a tweet about a slut, I feel like he should just stick by it. Whenever I see him apologize after he says something that makes people butthurt, I get second-hand embarrassment.

Or, maybe I'm just used to comedians like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr who are generally offensive and never regret using their material.

I dunno, with a situation like that I think it's less a conscious choice to use something as material, and more just getting frustrated/angry and tweeting something out of anger/frustration, then calming down and realizing it was a bad idea and regretting it.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Graham Elwood episode was really good. I had a chance to see Graham open for Doug Benson a few months ago and he was hilarious. Hearing all his stories from doing comedy for the troops was awesome. I knew he was big into that, but those stories were intense. He's awesome for going over there and doing something to make those guys feel at least a little bit normal in between fighting for their lives.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Merchant is pretty good on the latest ep.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

StrikerObi posted:

Graham Elwood episode was really good. I had a chance to see Graham open for Doug Benson a few months ago and he was hilarious. Hearing all his stories from doing comedy for the troops was awesome. I knew he was big into that, but those stories were intense. He's awesome for going over there and doing something to make those guys feel at least a little bit normal in between fighting for their lives.

I really would like to hear more of his Middle East stories. Never really paid attention to him beyond him being on Doug Loves Movies quite a bit.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I really would like to hear more of his Middle East stories. Never really paid attention to him beyond him being on Doug Loves Movies quite a bit.

Same here. If you haven't seen it already, there's an episode of the tv show Louie where he goes to Afghanistan and its very reminiscent of the things Graham talks about.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I really would like to hear more of his Middle East stories.

You're in luck!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FitFortDanga posted:

You're in luck!

And it's pay what you want non-DRMed. Never listened to him before, but grabbed this just from the recommendations here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

If you paid a penny we're forced to track you down and beat you up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

indigi posted:

If you paid a penny we're forced to track you down and beat you up.

I paid hundreds of times more than a penny thank you very much!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
We might get 2 or even 3 episodes each week now. Apparently they have a huge backlog they need to burn trough!

quote:

Chris Hardwick @nerdist
Podcast listeners: would you feel like it was too much if we tried putting out 3 eps a week for a while?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
These extra episodes are just a way to distract himself from the pain of not owning a bookshelf.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
He had several in his old house!

:smith:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I wouldn't mind since I skip all the Host episodes. My least favorite part of the interviews is when they sideline it to talk about themselves. They've gotten a LOT better about this but I imagine it's because they have entirely separate episodes to talk about that, which is nice, because I don't have to listen.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Skip the first 20 minutes of the new ep if you don't follow Nerdist-related Twitter drama. It's like a condensed version of when they had the wikipedia guy on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo. The Conan episode was amazing.
And I loved that like 92% of all the words came from Conan. They just asked a question here and there and Conan completely carried the rest.

• Locked thread