Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

When TheTVDB and The Scene numbering disagree you're hosed as far as automatic downloading goes.

Not true, if you read the sickbeard forums, there are all sorts of sql patches which convert to scene numbering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
This seems like a pain in the rear end.

http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3488

How likely am I to gently caress up sickbeard if I try that?

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

LaserWash posted:

This seems like a pain in the rear end.

http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3488

How likely am I to gently caress up sickbeard if I try that?

Worst case, you'd have to delete the specific show you screwed up and re-add it.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I thought they fixed that bug in SABnzbd where it would create a folder in /volumes/ with the name of your drive. Then, when you mount your drive, it would get mounted to /volumes/drive 1/.

I guess not.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Grayham posted:

I thought they fixed that bug in SABnzbd where it would create a folder in /volumes/ with the name of your drive. Then, when you mount your drive, it would get mounted to /volumes/drive 1/.

I guess not.

If the folder you're set to save to isn't there when SAB starts and it has permission to create it, it will. Thus, saving to a network drive or removable device that actually gets removed on a Mac probably isn't the best idea.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else have problems with Sickbeard sometimes just not updating shows with air dates and whatnot? It doesn't happen all the time, just once in awhile. I assume maybe it tries to contact thetvdb and fails for whatever reason. I'm running from source and I can't seem to track down whats causing this. Is there a variable that controls show updates? I can't seem to find that option so I'm assuming its hard coded to avoid API spam or something.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone else have problems with Sickbeard sometimes just not updating shows with air dates and whatnot?

I've had this happen a few times, deleting the show & re-adding in Sickbeard seems to force an update from TheTVDB.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

wolrah posted:

If the folder you're set to save to isn't there when SAB starts and it has permission to create it, it will. Thus, saving to a network drive or removable device that actually gets removed on a Mac probably isn't the best idea.

It's not just when SAB starts. If the drive is ever ejected with SAB running, it'll happen.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spekkio posted:

I've had this happen a few times, deleting the show & re-adding in Sickbeard seems to force an update from TheTVDB.

Well I can usually get it to update by clicking on the show and doing a "Force Full Update". I'm just trying to see if I can find the root cause because there's nothing in the logs related to it and no tvdb errors either. I guess I could do a little script to force full update on the whole library once a week but I worry about getting banned from tvdb for API spam or whatever.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gunslinger posted:

Well I can usually get it to update by clicking on the show and doing a "Force Full Update". I'm just trying to see if I can find the root cause because there's nothing in the logs related to it and no tvdb errors either. I guess I could do a little script to force full update on the whole library once a week but I worry about getting banned from tvdb for API spam or whatever.

its because tvdb said one thing, sickbeard did its initial show setup, then tvdb changed its listings... you have to remove the show and add it back in sickbeard for it to pick up on it for some reason

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

paradigmm posted:

its because tvdb said one thing, sickbeard did its initial show setup, then tvdb changed its listings... you have to remove the show and add it back in sickbeard for it to pick up on it for some reason

Just to clarify, I'm referring to air dates mainly, not episode numbering or etc. For example, one show will sometimes show up just fine one week then decide magically to not update the following week. It happens to many of them with no rhyme or reason. When I select the show it will have say 1 upcoming episode listed with an air date of Never or skipped. When I force a full update on that specific show it will then pick up 3 or more upcoming episodes and suddenly have the air date times. It seems that Sickbeard isn't updating the show via thetvdb but I can't see how or what's causing it.

Is Sickbeard hard coded to only update air dates once a week or something? I'm wondering if I had my HTPC in S3 sleep when its supposed to occur or something silly.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I have my sickbeard port (8081) forwarded to the usenet machine using a dynamic DNS service, but there doesn't appear to be a way of securing that "page" through something like a password.

How could I secure that page on my server so that I don't end up with a bunch of Desperate Housewives episodes on my server?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

LaserWash posted:

I have my sickbeard port (8081) forwarded to the usenet machine using a dynamic DNS service, but there doesn't appear to be a way of securing that "page" through something like a password.

How could I secure that page on my server so that I don't end up with a bunch of Desperate Housewives episodes on my server?

In the General Settings you can specify a login and password.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Dur... it was right there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Gunslinger posted:

What's nice as it does this through browser authentication and not some web form, so if you want you could run a reverse apache proxy and any plugings will still work.

Fake edit: I guess I know for sure Sabnzb does this, becuase my coworker has it setup that way, but I assume Sickbeard is the same.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why I am getting like 90% of the downloads saying "Download Failed - Out of Your Server's Retention"? I am getting it on files that are only a few weeks old. Using SABnzbd with Firefox.

It's weird too because it looks like it's downloading, and then it does this when the progress bar is at the end. It is doing this on every computer in my home.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Hamburglar posted:

Why I am getting like 90% of the downloads saying "Download Failed - Out of Your Server's Retention"? I am getting it on files that are only a few weeks old. Using SABnzbd with Firefox.

It's weird too because it looks like it's downloading, and then it does this when the progress bar is at the end. It is doing this on every computer in my home.
What provider are you using?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Without saying too much, certain types of content have been being DMCAed from the major Usenet services fairly rapidly these days. That'll cause exactly what you're seeing. Something that I think should be completely OK to post (as it's a free demo) that falls in the same category as where I've seen the most problems is Left.4.Dead.2.DEMO.X360-DiGi.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Hamburglar posted:

Double-check the clean-up list (at the bottom of the page under Config -> General) to make sure it's not deleting files you want to keep. If, for example, you downloaded an NZB that only contained the posts for a .txt file, but you had it set to delete .txt files, it will come up with that error. Also, if you have it set to delete samples or not download them (Config -> Switches), and the NZB you downloaded only contained a sample file, it will also give the error.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

One option is to add a block-based provider like Blocknews (recommended in the OP) in addition to the unlimited plan in your setup. Buy whatever amount of blocks is cost effective for you (it won't use very much). Add that server to SAB and check the Backup Server box, and it will only check the block provider if it's missing a piece of a download from your unlimited plan.

The key: that your unlimited provider and your block-based provider be from different resellersmajor providers. That way, both companies have to remove identical blocks before a download will fail. That doesn't happen all that often.

e: This is a pretty comprehensive listing of what providers back which resellers.
ee: Blocknews also allows account sharing. So you could pool your resources with a bunch of real life friendsgoons and all use a single account as a backup.

bort fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 22, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bort posted:

One option is to add a block-based provider like Blocknews (recommended in the OP) in addition to the unlimited plan in your setup. Buy whatever amount of blocks is cost effective for you (it won't use very much). Add that server to SAB and check the Backup Server box, and it will only check the block provider if it's missing a piece of a download from your unlimited plan.

The key: that your unlimited provider and your block-based provider be from different resellersmajor providers. That way, both companies have to remove identical blocks before a download will fail. That doesn't happen all that often.

e: This is a pretty comprehensive listing of what providers back which resellers.
ee: Blocknews also allows account sharing. So you could pool your resources with a bunch of real life friendsgoons and all use a single account as a backup.

wolrah posted:

Without saying too much, certain types of content have been being DMCAed from the major Usenet services fairly rapidly these days. That'll cause exactly what you're seeing. Something that I think should be completely OK to post (as it's a free demo) that falls in the same category as where I've seen the most problems is Left.4.Dead.2.DEMO.X360-DiGi.

Thanks for all this info. I've been meaning to get into Usenet since 1996 and I just got around to it :downs:

Disgustipated posted:

What provider are you using?

Usenetserver, using their $10 a month plan. Could they be why?

Mthrboard posted:

Double-check the clean-up list (at the bottom of the page under Config -> General) to make sure it's not deleting files you want to keep. If, for example, you downloaded an NZB that only contained the posts for a .txt file, but you had it set to delete .txt files, it will come up with that error. Also, if you have it set to delete samples or not download them (Config -> Switches), and the NZB you downloaded only contained a sample file, it will also give the error.

Thanks. I checked the clean-up list and nothing was there, and I checked if I had to set to delete samples and I did not. Thank you anyway, though.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Hamburglar posted:

Usenetserver, using their $10 a month plan. Could they be why?
That's part of Highwinds now, which has the most exposure because they are the biggest and have so many resellers. You might have better luck with Giganews or Astraweb, but this isn't a problem restricted to a single provider (and DMCA enforcement isn't the only cause of lost blocks). YMMV but I'm pretty happy with Astraweb.

The backup setup I illustrated above makes completion rates approach 100%. It also took months and months to use even 1G on the block provider. When a download fails, it's usually missing a single-digit quantity of blocks, which is a very small transaction. It takes a ton of failed downloads to use up, say, $15/100GB at Blocknews. It'd be years for me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bort posted:

The backup setup I illustrated above makes completion rates approach 100%. It also took months and months to use even 1G on the block provider. When a download fails, it's usually missing a single-digit quantity of blocks, which is a very small transaction. It takes a ton of failed downloads to use up, say, $15/100GB at Blocknews. It'd be years for me.

At least the ones I've seen recently almost all posts are missing, they're not just killing enough to break PAR repair like they used to. It just results in SAB sitting there with the progress bar moving at lightning speed but nothing actually downloading.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolrah posted:

At least the ones I've seen recently almost all posts are missing, they're not just killing enough to break PAR repair like they used to. It just results in SAB sitting there with the progress bar moving at lightning speed but nothing actually downloading.

I can't recall the last time I had a failed download. I'd look into other problems unless you're just positive that you're looking at DMCA failures.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm using Astraweb and recently also took a little ($2.75 / 5 GB) BlockNews account to fill missing articles. It can't get any better than that, I haven't seen a single missing block yet.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I've been running into a lot of unrepairable archives on Astraweb for stuff that indexers report as good. Is SuperNews good these days? It would save me like a buck a month as well.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lowclock posted:

I've been running into a lot of unrepairable archives on Astraweb for stuff that indexers report as good. Is SuperNews good these days? It would save me like a buck a month as well.

I did have issues with astra when I used them awhile ago, they had an outage and never seemed to fill the missing stuff even though they said they would. This is of course back when they were only 30 days of retention (and this was considered good) so gently caress I doubt this says anything about them currently.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 23, 2011

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

pixaal posted:

Goddamn it, edit your post, dude.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to get Sickbeard to accept a TV episode split into multiple files (ep1 part 1, ep1 part 2, etc)?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a way to get Sickbeard to accept a TV episode split into multiple files (ep1 part 1, ep1 part 2, etc)?

Sickbeard uses xbmc naming which means it should be filename-cd1.avi filename-cd2.avi but I havn't actually tested it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

GobiasIndustries posted:

If you're talking about shows that are broken into 15-minute "episodes," then no, not by default. Some people have talked about scripts, but I haven't investigated it.

EDIT: Well, poo poo.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 23, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

duz posted:

Sickbeard uses xbmc naming which means it should be filename-cd1.avi filename-cd2.avi but I havn't actually tested it.

I have, and it works fine. Just use "Show Name - S01E01-E02.ext" and it'll scan in fine (that naming scheme will work in XBMC as well).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EC posted:

I have, and it works fine. Just use "Show Name - S01E01-E02.ext" and it'll scan in fine (that naming scheme will work in XBMC as well).

That's multiple episodes in a single file. I think he's asking about 1 episode spanned across multiple files.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

torjus posted:

Goddamn it, edit your post, dude.

Jesus gently caress I'm stupid when sleep deprived.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Modern Leper posted:

If you're talking about shows that are broken into 15-minute "episodes," then no, not by default. Some people have talked about scripts, but I haven't investigated it.

EDIT: Well, poo poo.

Nah, what happened is a show that had aired two episodes in one night got changed from two episodes to one on thetvdb, so when SickBeard updated the show it decided the 2nd episode no longer existed.

The cd1/cd2 thing didn't pass post-processing, so I let SickBeard scan & process the 1st file, then renamed the 2nd file and put it in the same folder, and appended -cd1 & -cd2 to each name. So right now it's:
"Title SXXEXX EpName-CD1.mkv" & "Title SXXEXX EpName-CD2.mkv" Here's to hoping that works out with XBMC, as the wiki says stacking is limited to movies currently.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

It looks like when couchpotato downloads a movie the is broken up into 2 files, eg: Blah-cd1.avi, Blah-cd2.avi, it only moves and renames 1 on the files during post processing. So how do I tell couchpotato to (preferably) find a version in 1 file (who stores movies on cd anymore anyway?) or move/rename both files?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

I can't recall the last time I had a failed download. I'd look into other problems unless you're just positive that you're looking at DMCA failures.

It happens on nearly 100% of posts of a certain type older than a few days, but pretty much never with anything else. I'm on Supernews, so it's not like I have a lovely provider. DMCA is the best explanation I have.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Got my first missing blocks failure with Astraweb. 7 blocks missing in a 7 gig download. The download is several files, though, so it may not affect what I actually need. Still...

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

BooDaa posted:

It looks like when couchpotato downloads a movie the is broken up into 2 files, eg: Blah-cd1.avi, Blah-cd2.avi, it only moves and renames 1 on the files during post processing. So how do I tell couchpotato to (preferably) find a version in 1 file (who stores movies on cd anymore anyway?) or move/rename both files?

What is your naming pattern for when it moves files? Do you have the <cd> or <cdNr> option in there? I've never had a problem with it copying multiple-disc movies. The pattern I use is: <thename><cd>.<ext>

If that's not it, check the log file for when it tries to move the movie. Maybe something in there will shed more light on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know of any providers having holiday sales or something?