Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Welp. Just took my first trip to the end thanks to being sucked into the portal while standing on one of the frame blocks. With all of my poo poo :(

What an utterly lackluster endgame area. Combine with some lag to make it extra frustrating and easy to die, and I don't know why you'd bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Just wanted to throw a big shout out to IUG. We got our map up and running!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Senator Woofington posted:

Just wanted to throw a big shout out to IUG. We got our map up and running!

Hahah, I love that one little disconnected chunk out in the middle of the ocean with a portal in it.

That map is super linear though, good lord. Trying to find neighboring continents I gather?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Boat posted:

Hahah, I love that one little disconnected chunk out in the middle of the ocean with a portal in it.

That map is super linear though, good lord. Trying to find neighboring continents I gather?

Yeah people keep making boating expeditions without deviations and just end up going on and on forever. The map is actually quite huge though, but the ocean is huge-er! Someone found a mushroom island just two days ago :3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah people keep making boating expeditions without deviations and just end up going on and on forever. The map is actually quite huge though, but the ocean is huge-er! Someone found a mushroom island just two days ago :3

You know what'd be awesome? Gulls circling, visible in the distance, above the shore to guide you to contients.

Then again, I also think there should be sparrows and tumbleweeds and tiny fish and other ambience animals and props you can't interact with but are just there.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Why didn't Notch sell Minecraft to Valve?

Okay, I'm done. :smith:

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Is there anyway to search a map for a particular item? Someone on my server seems to think someone stole his diamond pick that was enchanted with unbreaking, efficiency and fortune. I used NBT edit to check everyone's player data inventory but no one has it on their person. It would be impossible for me to get in game and check every chest by hand so is there some utility out there that can let me scan the map for a particular item?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Is there anyway to search a map for a particular item? Someone on my server seems to think someone stole his diamond pick that was enchanted with unbreaking, efficiency and fortune. I used NBT edit to check everyone's player data inventory but no one has it on their person. It would be impossible for me to get in game and check every chest by hand so is there some utility out there that can let me scan the map for a particular item?

Which server is this?
Because I found one of those in a "free for all"-box full of free poo poo.
Insert coin[s].

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

tastychicken posted:

Which server is this?
Because I found one of those in a "free for all"-box full of free poo poo.
Insert coin[s].

Not insert coins, reticulated splines. Also I thought insert coins was creative? Why would you even need an enchanted pick?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Raskolnikov posted:

Because he's afraid of the game becoming far, far better under the hands of people that are better programmers/businessmen. I think it's an ego thing, honestly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was originally because Notch wanted to prove he could develop and popularize a game WITHOUT the help of a big corporation like Valve, and then he proceeded to do that.

Now that he has accomplished that, there's really no reason for him to not sell Minecraft to Valve but every time he gets asked about it his own pride gets the best of him.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Vanderdeath posted:

Because he's afraid of the game becoming far, far better under the hands of people that are better programmers/businessmen. I think it's an ego thing, honestly.

Yeah-- it's the same reason he's kind of standoffish with modders, didn't like the Yogscast doing a thing about how much other people have improved his game, and stayed in charge of Minecraft long after losing interest. He knows that handing it over to people who are more talented than him will make it clear that he's not a genius from whose mind the game sprung, wreathed in light and glory.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So I have a mountaintop castle on our server. I call the path the road to high hrothgar.

I really wanted animals in my castle walls but everytime I tried to lure a pig or sheep by means of wheat they would inevitably fall off that path and plunge to their demise. So I thought about it, and I give you The piggy express!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

As someone who hates Steam and who also has a hard enough time running Minecraft as it is, I'm thankful every day that this did not happen.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Rock Paper Shotgun just named Minecraft their game of the year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Didn't IGN name Notch their person of the year? :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

Then again, I also think there should be sparrows and tumbleweeds and tiny fish and other ambience animals and props you can't interact with but are just there.

I would love more ambient sounds. Bird noises from random/large trees in forest biomes. Light surf sounds at the edge of oceans. Frog sounds in lakes. Wind howl at high altitudes. Hell, wolves should howl during full moons. Just little things to make the world seem alive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would love more ambient sounds. Bird noises from random/large trees in forest biomes. Light surf sounds at the edge of oceans. Frog sounds in lakes. Wind howl at high altitudes. Hell, wolves should howl during full moons. Just little things to make the world seem alive.

It's not quite as comprehensive as you describe, but the mod MAtmos makes a start.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Parkingtigers posted:

but Duke Nukem Forever is game of the year every year....

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Jamesman posted:

As someone who hates Steam and who also has a hard enough time running Minecraft as it is, I'm thankful every day that this did not happen.

are you joking? if valve was developing minecraft you would have no problem running it.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

Parkingtigers posted:

They named it their GOTY last year, before the end and potions and enchantments and useless villagers, when the game was still beautiful and full of promise. This year their favourite was Skyrim.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ascii genitals posted:

are you joking? if valve was developing minecraft you would have no problem running it.

I don't think porting Minecraft to the Source engine is really possible.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't think it would be a problem, considering that Valve have the ability and manpower to modify the engine to suit their needs.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Install Gentoo posted:

Haha thats not what I mean: having good programmers and designers working on minecraft they could continue to develop the engine and the game in a competent manner.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ascii genitals posted:

Haha thats not what I mean: having good programmers and designers working on minecraft they could continue to develop the engine and the game in a competent manner.

Valve, the company with a 10+ year track record of releasing patches that cut performance by 20% or more, is not the example you want.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also Valve TimeŠ for updates and releases.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Also Valve TimeŠ for updates and releases.

Because poo poo like TF2 doesn't get patches constantly :rolleye:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zorak posted:

Because poo poo like TF2 doesn't get patches constantly :rolleye:

No, you see, when notch promises content like Capture the Flag mode and a modding API, he always delivers right on schedu:suicide:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wish he hadn't gotten bored of the idea of an adventure mode, I really wanted to see that.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

No, you see, we got 'adventure' in the 'adventure update' which didn't improve combat and ruined terrain generation forever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuego Fish posted:

No, you see, when notch promises content like Capture the Flag mode and a modding API, he always delivers right on schedu:suicide:

That's the joke.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Or at least something other than deafening silence when I'm in a boat at sea.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The rain sound effect singlehandedly makes me play the game muted. Out building, when SSHSHHHHH SHSHHHH HSSHSHHH HSHSHHHH.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

The Triumphant posted:

Or at least something other than deafening silence when I'm in a boat at sea.
The mod MAtmos is good for that, at least. Atmospheric sounds to heighten the mood, crickets chirping at night, birds in the day, wind when you're up high, things of that nature. I haven't spent much time on the ocean but I'm sure there's something for there too! I know this is all for default Minecraft, but it's a fairly small mod that just adds a couple nice sound effects.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Elysiume posted:

The rain sound effect singlehandedly makes me play the game muted. Out building, when SSHSHHHHH SHSHHHH HSSHSHHH HSHSHHHH.

I like the rain sound, I hate how it doesnt play where my tower is, bums me out.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Taiso posted:

I like the rain sound, I hate how it doesnt play where my tower is, bums me out.

Has anyone ever figured out why this is? I've noticed the areas on our map where rain doesn't make noise also doesn't have the rain splashing animation, but aside from that connection I've got nothin.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Hahaha terrain gen is so hosed in this version. Just today Chewy and I ran across a Big Tree nearly sliced in half by the border between two biomes, tons of single block holes leading to lava room deathtraps, and an underground circular sinkhole/ravine, with fractured and jagged cave structures.

And to date we still haven't found a mineshaft in the latest version.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

messagemode1 posted:

And to date we still haven't found a mineshaft in the latest version.

Something is wrong with you because I can't NOT find a mineshaft.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Something is wrong with you because I can't NOT find a mineshaft.

I've already stumbled up 5 or 6 on your server. Or maybe they're all just one big mineshaft and I just found different parts of it.

I ended up deleting my single player game, and I'm gonna start over again. In multiplayer, I goof around and experiment with things, and through that, I learn and get new ideas, and now I want to apply that to a fresh game. I kind of worry this is going to happen a lot.

Do we have any idea when the next game update is supposed to roll out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
So I built a lava temple in the Nether on Penislandia:

A few thoughts:
  • Half block/liquid interactions are fun to screw with
  • You can get really good at ghast sniping with enough practice
  • Being able to bind sneak to caps lock on a Mac is a godsend
  • gently caress lava forever