Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

cronox2 posted:

Did you order from Dino Direct? I ordered 2 like a month ago now and the things still haven't shipped. Also did you have to re-wire yours for US voltage and how hard was it to do?

I did! It took them forever from me paying to them shipping it out. Their emails first landed in my spam folder and then their emails, after I finally started getting them, made NO sense for the most part. I kept checking back on their homepage and used their live chat support twice to make sure everything was moving along. It sat on "Order Approved" forever for no reason. It got to order approved on 11/22 and then wasn't shipped till 12/05. They sent accompanying emails but a week later than the shipped date on the order tracking page. Their tracking number which I got way too late was never recognized by the site they linked to. It was kind of a mess, in all honesty, and I almost expected to never actually get anything.

Then two days ago I had a letter from customs in my mailbox telling me they had a package from China and since they didn't bother with any customs declaration or anything on the outside of the package they needed me to come in and bring some proof of purchase and that I'm not ordering weapons grade uranium or something. Did that this morning and lo and behold, it was my lamp.

As for the wiring, I live in Germany so we naturally get 230v out of our outlets. The plug it came with looks like an American one though. Thankfully my girlfriend forgot her adapter thing the last time she was here and since she's from America, I used that to plug it in and turn it on. It's only an adapter and doesn't do anything with the voltage. So, I didn't have to do any re-wiring or anything to get it to work. I think you can get pretty cheap like, plug-in transformators though that'll just step up the 110v to 220v for you that you plug into an outlet and plug the lamp into that. I used to have one that did 220v to 110v for the US N64 I had back in the day and it didn't cost me very much.

Funny thing about the lamp.. it still has it's original battery compartment in the back that you can open but it's completely missing any kind of battery contacts or wiring. It's supposed to take AA batteries but they're too small to fit in without contacts. The cable just comes out of the feet of the dude and goes right into the outlet. Kind of weird :v:

abraxas fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoomSickleII
Aug 14, 2011
I was always wondering where I can get one of those lamps.....

I think the voltage in the US and Japan is the same, the only place that i know that is different is Hong Kong.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Thanks abraxas. Was getting worried I got scammed but it's nice knowing someone else got the same lack of communication from them. Was gonna be a christmas present for my friend that I got into GCCX but I guess it'll have to wait until January now.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

DoomSickleII posted:

I think the voltage in the US and Japan is the same, the only place that i know that is different is Hong Kong.

I assumed this when I went to Japan, but my US-made digital alarm clock ran slowly when plugged into an outlet there, which led to me oversleeping on my first morning there. That was embarrassing.

Game consoles tend to run fine on both types of voltage, and the outlets are the same, but the voltage is definitely different between the US and Japan.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Hokuto posted:

I assumed this when I went to Japan, but my US-made digital alarm clock ran slowly when plugged into an outlet there, which led to me oversleeping on my first morning there. That was embarrassing.

Game consoles tend to run fine on both types of voltage, and the outlets are the same, but the voltage is definitely different between the US and Japan.

The voltage is slightly different (120V in the US vs 100V in Japan), but the reason your clock ran slow was because parts of Japan have an AC frequency of 50hz while your clock was designed for 60hz.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Random Stranger posted:

I think you mean ten years behind the times.

:stare:

sega channel was still awesome :smith:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

DoomSickleII posted:

I was always wondering where I can get one of those lamps.....

You can still get them here but be wary that it's kind of "ordering at your own risk". I got mine just fine but cronox2 seems to still be waiting for his. I didn't even realize this site is based in China until after I already placed and paid for my order. Somewhere earlier in the thread I posted a coupon code that gives you 15% off which should still work (sorry I can't find it anymore for some reason).

This lamp, even though being from Japan, is being sent from China and on the page it specifically says it's made for 220V. Kind of weird if the voltage in Japan is actually 100V. Why would a lamp made in/for Japan have a Japanese plug but only work with 220V.

DoomSickleII
Aug 14, 2011
hhhmmm it might be a china knockoff from the original japanese lamp? China might have different voltage as well. Not 100% definite though. I know for sure Hong Kong has a higher voltage.

As for the voltage thing, ordered a Japanese Wii and it worked fine when it got here in the US I also bought my laptop over to Japan and the plug works there, so not sure.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

evilalien posted:

The voltage is slightly different (120V in the US vs 100V in Japan), but the reason your clock ran slow was because parts of Japan have an AC frequency of 50hz while your clock was designed for 60hz.

Oh, so that's what it was. Cool, now I know. :)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I started watching these yesterday, I've watched about five so far. I think I'm in love. It's everything I enjoy about LP's!

Edit: Just watched the Prince of Persia videos, that was hilarious when they flip the monitor over.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 23, 2011

BlaineBlaine
Sep 13, 2011

DoomSickleII posted:

hhhmmm it might be a china knockoff from the original japanese lamp? China might have different voltage as well. Not 100% definite though. I know for sure Hong Kong has a higher voltage.

As for the voltage thing, ordered a Japanese Wii and it worked fine when it got here in the US I also bought my laptop over to Japan and the plug works there, so not sure.

i've been using Japanese electronics for years with no problems. As far as the lamp is concerned, a lamp really is the most basic possible form of electronics. There's no real circuitry to fry. So long as the switch is rated for more than what you're putting through it you'll be fine.

The same switch could take 1 volt or 1000 volts so long as it's within its tolerances.

I'm not a light bulb expert, but light bulbs are easy going folks. Think about a dimmer switch. You're just cutting or increasing the voltage to the bulb and it gets darker or brighter.

I think most light bulbs will be happy up to 300 volts.

That's it. Switch and bulb.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

abraxas posted:

This lamp, even though being from Japan, is being sent from China and on the page it specifically says it's made for 220V. Kind of weird if the voltage in Japan is actually 100V. Why would a lamp made in/for Japan have a Japanese plug but only work with 220V.
It's definitely built for the Chinese market, which has an A-type ("American style") outlet like Japan but has 220v coming directly into the socket, whereas the "mains" are split in North America and Japan for safety reasons. :eng101:

This is why I couldn't charge my DS in China. :smith: Appliances from other nations can be a risky venture, even if they appear to be working normally. Most stuff with adapters like game consoles and computers should be okay, but stuff without tends to blow out a bit quicker. I had a space heater from Japan that only lasted about a year plugged into an American outlet before it blew out... I figure the increased wear and tear was from the increased voltage.

Edit: Poster above me sounds like he knows more about electronics, I'm sure a lamp will be fine.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 23, 2011

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

BlaineBlaine posted:

I think most light bulbs will be happy up to 300 volts.

A 220V bulb will work fine in a 110V circuit (just half brightness) but if you try it the other way around you're going to find yourself in need of a new light bulb.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
No new episode this Thursday for GCCX. Episode #132, Battletoads Part 2, will have to wait another 2 weeks. The show will have a New Years Special on Dec 31. Google tranlation seems to say that it will be a 2011 recap episode. This is from the Japanese GCCX Homepage.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who works on the subs for these shows. You guys are awesome!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Okay, so, remember how a lot of people were kind of adverse to the amount of cheese in cartoon meat? Well, I found this today. Now you can make your own. Even better, it's based on Golden Axe's meat, so it's related to another GCCX challenge! :buddy:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, so, remember how a lot of people were kind of adverse to the amount of cheese in cartoon meat? Well, I found this today. Now you can make your own. Even better, it's based on Golden Axe's meat, so it's related to another GCCX challenge! :buddy:

That's a hell of a website. If it was a food, in a game, they'll have a go at making it. Some of it's a bit pedestrian, but on the other hand they made the pizza sundae.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Game Center CX: The Iron Chef of Video Games

Thinking about it, in addition to all the treats he normally gets while playing games, Arino does get some funky, game-specific stuff. From cartoon meat to all the neat snacks from 53 Stations, to when Inoko MAX brought him some cake inspired by Bio Miracle.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Just came back from a week in Vegas, where I bought this off a street vendor :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

(I forgot I had that picture for Quest of Ki...)

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Sorry I can't give you a new episode for Christmas but I do have a present for all of you.

To be honest I'm not entirely certain what this is. It is a Japanese video featuring an interview with Arino conducted in English using AD Nakayama as the translator. I think it was being used to try to sell Game Center CX to overseas markets (kind of a "See how big we are? We're getting interviewed by this person in English!"). Anyway it's an interesting Game Center CX artifact that I thought you guys might be interested in:

Arino Interview: http://www.multiupload.com/SXCCC7FRAD

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 25, 2011

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Arino Interview.

Is this the one with the pony-tailed gentleman?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Is this the one with the pony-tailed gentleman?

Yes, it's that one.

I should also mention that the "news organization" featured in the video isn't a real one which is what makes me think it's a promotional video.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've finally finished knitting my Christmas gifts, and I've finally 100% caught up on GCCX. I hope this doesn't have any long lasting effects on my sanity/game skills. :ohdear:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

To be honest I'm not entirely certain what this is. It is a Japanese video featuring an interview with Arino conducted in English using AD Nakayama as the translator. I think it was being used to try to sell Game Center CX to overseas markets (kind of a "See how big we are? We're getting interviewed by this person in English!"). Anyway it's an interesting Game Center CX artifact that I thought you guys might be interested in:

This was shown at like 2AM on terrestrial Fuji as one of the occasional GCCX specials they have there to push the show (like 'Bonus Stage'). Maybe it was originally supposed to be a promotional thing for RGM, but I don't know. In any case, it's obviously not too serious.

I did get ahold of the 'host' Cédric on Facebook shortly after it aired. He started the original GCCX group on there too. I asked how in the heck he got roped into that show, and basically, he worked near Gascoin's old office, spotted Tojima one day knowing who he was, then struck up a friendship, yada yada yada, he was the host in the silly special (the ultimate goon stalker fantasy, I'm sure).

niftymcnift
Oct 31, 2011

Cant wait for the battletoads episode, I wonder if they will start doing more English Nes games.

Does anyone know of any good places to buy Jap Famicom games online besides trawling through ebay? I have been really tempted to try some of these games after watching the shows - particually Quest of Ki

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Wandering Knitter posted:

I hope this doesn't have any long lasting effects on my sanity/game skills. :ohdear:

I know it's affected my sanity. I find myself going "UWA!" when I gently caress up in a game horribly. :ohdear:

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
Just discovered this thread thanks to the bottom banner.
Perfect way to get past the holidays.

Thanks for the heads up.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Random Stranger posted:

Arino Interview: http://www.multiupload.com/SXCCC7FRAD

Coffee Slip! Coffee Slip! :derp:

This was a good laugh, thanks for uploading.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
King Mike of translation scene fame has favored us with a game of interest to any fan of Game Center CX!

Takeshi no Chousenjou -- Takeshi's Challenge

This was a big surprise to me, I didn't even know anyone was working on it!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

redmercer posted:

King Mike of translation scene fame has favored us with a game of interest to any fan of Game Center CX!

Takeshi no Chousenjou -- Takeshi's Challenge

This was a big surprise to me, I didn't even know anyone was working on it!
How are you supposed to beat the karaoke challenge in the translated version?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

How are you supposed to beat the karaoke challenge in the translated version?

You say that like people can beat the karaoke challenge in the original version. :colbert:

(Actually I think the program only recognizes tones... vaguely. It's like the Karaoke Revolution games; you can sing any words you want as long as you have the pitch and hold the note long enough.)

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
As far as software is concerned, the Famicom microphone is basically a voice activated button. If the microphone hears something loud enough, it registers as pressed, otherwise it isn't. So it can't detect pitch at all, only timing and duration.

The microphone is wired into the sound system so that whatever it receives is amplified and replayed out of the TV, but that completely invisible to the game.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I thought the question was more about how you use the microphone in an emulator. Like TapamN said, the microphone is basically a button. I am pretty sure that at least one emulator has an actual button to emulate the microphone, so you'd basically just tap it along to the beat. That's probably just as hard as actually singing it though unless you know the melodies of these songs really well.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Isn't it impossible to pass that challenge and you just automatically progress after 30 attempts?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chief posted:

Isn't it impossible to pass that challenge and you just automatically progress after 30 attempts?

I hope this is true so bad. What a fantastic troll.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I actually asked about how to clear the karaoke part on romhacking.net as soon as I heard, and the hacker answered me with this:

KingMike from romhacking.net posted:

Use what I'm calling the "silent input" mode.
Press Down+A on controller 2 right before the karaoke segment, then attempt to push A on controller 2 to the beat of the song. I guess. I'm not sure if that's what I was doing or I got lucky and passed it.

So I guess that's how?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The most fun way would be to use an mp3 of Arino singing. Although that would require an emulator that used audio input for the microphone and for the episode to feature the entire song.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Light Gun Man posted:

I actually asked about how to clear the karaoke part on romhacking.net as soon as I heard, and the hacker answered me with this:

So I guess that's how?

Now that I think of it I seem to remember doing that when I was playing Takeshi no Chousenjou on my Famicom. For some reason my Famicom mic was picking up sound almost constantly and in that game it's impossible to move if you're speaking into the mic so it made the game unplayable. I did this to mute the mic until I needed it, but I forgot that it made it so that you could use the button.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
My package from the Gascoin (GCCX's production company) came!

They sent me GCCX Volume 5 and, as an added bonus, the official GCCX notebook and pen.

Here's my fanart in the opener of the lengthy GCCX in USA article. They were even kind enough to properly credit me as the illustrator.

I haven't read it yet, but it's basically behind-the-scenes stories about the trip accompanied by several screenshots from the episode.

Ray's in it too, but he's getting sucked into the book crease :( At least he's getting sucked in with Arino.

Some of Arino's personal shots.

Inoko MAX's signed T-shirt! (click for larger version) Can you find your signature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

My package from the Gascoin (GCCX's production company) came!

It is REALLY good to see an official company actually paying some respect to a fan-translators. I'd be surprised if anyone at Kotaku got any gifts, either, haha.