Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DEAR RICHARD posted:

No one liked the new Mastodon, Megadeth, Anthrax and Opeth albums?

I loved the new Mastodon and Megadeth albums, I haven't listened to the new Anthrax and I've always found Opeth boring.

I tried to make a top ten of 2011 list, but then I realized I'd only listened to four 2011 releases. Most of my year was spent listening to and falling in love with Motörhead, Exodus, Saxon, Overkill, and Diamond Head. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Anthrax was pretty good, and I've never really even been into Anthrax. New Mastodon was okay, and I actually still haven't heard the new Megadeth. Heritage was a pretty neat idea that utterly failed in execution, and I say that as a raging Opeth fanboy who was really excited about that album up until I actually heard it. I was thinking it was going to be Opeth's take on the Ghost/Devil's Blood/every other occult retro prog rock band thing. That's basically what the first track is, and it's the only one I've listened to since the album dropped. The rest of it is just 70s prog riff salad.

For me, Leprous, Dream Theater and Skeletonwitch really exceeded expectations and put out great records this year. I actually really dug the album Protest the Hero put out too (I know, I know).

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I loved this year's Vintersorg release.

Go ahead. Look surprised. It wasn't their strongest ever, but I found it fun and weird.

Also, I really loved the new Moonsorrow CD as well. And somehow I missed that Tyr has a new release, I need to rectify that omission in my music collection.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Qu Appelle posted:

Tyr has a new release, I need to rectify that omission in my music collection.

As a die-hard Týr fan, I disliked their newest release. Apparently a lot of people in this thread really liked it, but I really really didn't.

edit: Every time I listen to their cover of "I" (not often, because it sucks), I laugh at the way Heri says "I'm a WHOOORE!"

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 23, 2011

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
2011 has been a pretty good year for death metal and grindcore. Some of my favorite albums have been from Abnormity, Vallenfyre, Analdicktion, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Vicious Abortion, Rotten Sound, Maruta, Noisear, Indecent Excision, Vomitory, Condemned, Carnivorous Voracity, Krisiun, Bestial Inquisitor, and Brutal Truth. Here's to hoping that Napalm Death, Terrorizer, and Umbral Torturer keep the trend going in the new year.

However, I couldn't fine a good thrash album this year. By all accounts I should be a Warbringer fan, but all their material has just left me flaccid. Megadeth and Anthrax put out boring albums, which was expected. Are there any unknown thrash acts I may be overlooking who put out a quality release this year? I want Dark Angel to make another "Darkness Descends", god damnit!

The only thing that still really bums me out is that Seth Putnam is dead and Morbid Angel continues to make new music.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 23, 2011

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Moonsorrow is my favorite album for 2011.

Wolves in the Throne Room is tied for it I think, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Turk February posted:

However, I couldn't fine a good thrash album this year. By all accounts I should be a Warbringer fan, but all their material has just left me flaccid. Megadeth and Anthrax put out boring albums, which was expected. Are there any unknown thrash acts I may be overlooking who put out a quality release this year? I want Dark Angel to make another "Darkness Descends", god damnit!

Have you heard Vektor's "Outer Isolation"?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Zodijackylite posted:

Have you heard Vektor's "Outer Isolation"?

This and Antichrist's Forbidden World are good thrash albums from this year.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

YeahTubaMike posted:

As a die-hard Týr fan, I disliked their newest release. Apparently a lot of people in this thread really liked it, but I really really didn't.
Yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. I sort of feel bad for the die-hard fans, because the band really departed from what had made them unique (though I obviously am more of a fan of the new album). I'm not sure any other band really is doing this combination of chorus vocals and catchy repetitive riffing sort of crossing power metal with melodeath. I would have expected Turisas to go in this sort of direction before Tyr really. Monkeytime was the one who spurred me to really give this album a chance, and I think he said he'd read an interview where they said they made a deliberate decision to go for a catchier/poppier angle.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Dr. Abysmal posted:

This and Antichrist's Forbidden World are good thrash albums from this year.

Vektor was okay, but Antichrist is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for that.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

No one has mentioned Towards the Megalith by Disma yet! Hands down the best death metal release this year.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Turk February posted:

However, I couldn't fine a good thrash album this year. By all accounts I should be a Warbringer fan, but all their material has just left me flaccid. Megadeth and Anthrax put out boring albums, which was expected. Are there any unknown thrash acts I may be overlooking who put out a quality release this year?

I like Evile's new album. It reminds me of late-80s metallica (my favourite metallica).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd9nNfCvGyk

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Didn't Absu's newest album come out in 2011? I'm surprised none of you have listed it at all.

It's not a mind blowing album, but it definitely has some great parts. The second half of Abraxas Connexus is really amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was the first time I heard them, loved it although that opening vocal track was kind of cheesy.

My album of the year in metal goes to Skeletonwitch. It's loving solid and doesn't let up on every track.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been listening to a lot of metal this year, but really liked Insomnium's newest album, One for Sorrow... and now thanks to this thread, I've rediscovered Moonsorrow.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

het posted:

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. I sort of feel bad for the die-hard fans, because the band really departed from what had made them unique (though I obviously am more of a fan of the new album). I'm not sure any other band really is doing this combination of chorus vocals and catchy repetitive riffing sort of crossing power metal with melodeath. I would have expected Turisas to go in this sort of direction before Tyr really. Monkeytime was the one who spurred me to really give this album a chance, and I think he said he'd read an interview where they said they made a deliberate decision to go for a catchier/poppier angle.

I'll just go ahead and present my interview of Heri Joensen, where he explains why he did this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RARNgJqorzE

Also: Merry Christmas everyone.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

het posted:

I would have expected Turisas to go in this sort of direction before Tyr really. Monkeytime was the one who spurred me to really give this album a chance, and I think he said he'd read an interview where they said they made a deliberate decision to go for a catchier/poppier angle.

Turisa maybe OUGHT to go in that direction. Stand Up And Fight was almost completely unlistenable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Turisa maybe OUGHT to go in that direction. Stand Up And Fight was almost completely unlistenable.
Stand Up And Fight is actually a loving fantastic album. Vikings on Broadway sound ftw.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

het posted:

I really loved Ragnarok and still do. Every album after that has just drifted further and further from the style that I liked of theirs. The music has devolved into really kinda boring straight forward stuff. It's too bad, they had something really unique going on.

Heljareyga (Henri's side project) kind of fulfills what I was looking for, but it's just not the same :smith:

Nordick posted:

Stand Up And Fight is actually a loving fantastic album. Vikings on Broadway sound ftw.

I was also kind of disappointed with what Turisas decided to do as well, that album did not do it for me at all. The Varangian Way was awesome with its weird prog hintings, but the band decided to go for the ultra catchy chorus route instead of fleshing the prog elements out a little more.

Turisas - Fear The Fear posted:

Bravery
As we've all seen on TV
Explosions and swords
Hot girls in reward

And in the games you play
You are the hero of the day
But outside that land
Your head's in the sand
This sure didn't help out my enjoyment of the album.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 25, 2011

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nordick posted:

Vikings on Broadway is exactly right, for better or (much, MUCH) worse.

Orbital Sapling posted:

Heljareyga (Henri's side project) kind of fulfills what I was looking for, but it's just not the same :smith:

I enjoy Heljareyga, but I'm sad that they'll probably never get to play here. They would have fit in perfectly on the Paganfest 2012 bill.

quote:

I was also kind of disappointed with what Turisas decided to do as well, that album did not do it for me at all. The Varangian Way was awesome with its weird prog hintings, but the band decided to go for the ultra catchy chorus route instead of fleshing the prog elements out a little more.

This sure didn't help out my enjoyment of the album.

The Varangian Way was so, so awesome. I liked Battle Metal too, but in The Varangian Way, they really let loose with the fiddle and accordion in a way that was a lot of fun.

As for your lyrical concerns,

maybe my favorite Turisas song ever posted:

Six regular edges and six vertices
Six equilateral triangles
Six square faces in another direction
Plato's earth transparent

So their lyrics get a little weird. Leave them alone, they're Finns and they make metal. There are so many things to complain about in Stand Up And Fight -- the words are the least of its problems.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah it was definitely a serious letdown after The Varangian Way. I should revisit it but I doubt I'll change my opinion on it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I saw Turisas at Tuska this year and had a moment in which I thought to myself "Do I even like this band?" Seriously, after the third Stand Up And Fight song in a row, I started to think that maybe I was only standing at this stage out of sheer force of habit. :smith:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Didn't Absu's newest album come out in 2011? I'm surprised none of you have listed it at all.

It's not a mind blowing album, but it definitely has some great parts. The second half of Abraxas Connexus is really amazing.

I actually do think it's mind blowing, it's my favorite of 2011.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Going with the Celestial Lineage love for album of the year but loving Wormrot really impressed me this year with Dirge, which was a really solid release and then their Noise EP, which I think was even better.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

m-o-o-n posted:

No one has mentioned Towards the Megalith by Disma yet! Hands down the best death metal release this year.

I forgot to mention it along with a few others in my original post, but yes, "Towards The Megalith" by Disma is an absolute crusher when it comes to American death metal. The EP "The Manifestation" they released a month before the album was decent, too. Heavily recommended for fans of Funebrarum, Incantation, Asphyx, and Hooded Menace.

To Battle posted:

Going with the Celestial Lineage love for album of the year but loving Wormrot really impressed me this year with Dirge, which was a really solid release and then their Noise EP, which I think was even better.

I was really happy with the material Wormrot has been putting out. I love that old-school grindcore is making a comeback, because while it's a pretty easy style to emulate, it is very difficult to make it your own and put yourself above the rest of the crop. Same goes for Noisear, Maruta, Human Error, Dead In The Dirt, and Self Deconstruction.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 25, 2011

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Lots of good stuff this year...yeah, Disma, Wormrot, Maruta (sucks that they broke up, their final show was amazing), Absu, Exhumed, Hexvessel, ICS Vortex, bird of Habibah (ok, so no one knows who this is, but that's ok. It's one of the guitarists of Last days of Humanity and he's playing surf rock- it's awesome and on bandcamp.)

Wasn't Nader Sadek this year? I liked that too.

I think it's great that Maruta is getting so much love- I've been seeing those guys forever and they're really excellent friends of mine and my BFs. In fact, word on the street is some of the members of Maruta might do a project with my BF (who plays guitar for Possessed). So, yay!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
This was a good year for metal. Even the new Nightwish album is growing on me (not the video though, that poo poo was painful to watch).
In any case, some of my favorite albums for this year are:
Tyr - The Lay of Thrym
Turmion Katilot - Perstechnique
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Iced Earth - Dystopia
Ilnath - Third Act In The Theatre Of Madness

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

thepitgoddess posted:

I think it's great that Maruta is getting so much love- I've been seeing those guys forever and they're really excellent friends of mine and my BFs. In fact, word on the street is some of the members of Maruta might do a project with my BF (who plays guitar for Possessed). So, yay!

I want this to happen. If it happens to involve Eduardo Borja's magic fingers then I will be an immediate fan. That dude knew how to craft some catchy as poo poo riffs. Why the hell did they break up?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Turk February posted:

I want this to happen. If it happens to involve Eduardo Borja's magic fingers then I will be an immediate fan. That dude knew how to craft some catchy as poo poo riffs. Why the hell did they break up?

E- I think there was some personal business going on, Eduardo didn't play the last show. I don't know what he'll be up to next but I promise you'll love my boyfriends magic fingers, hur hur. No really, he shreds and I'm not just saying that because I go out with him and all that jazz.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 25, 2011

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
The two best for me this year were SubRosa - No Help For The Mighty Ones and Necros Christos - Doom Of The Occult. Both of these got into my head and forced me to listen to them over and over all year, especially the first. Honorable mention goes to Falls Of Rauros - The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood, which like Agalloch's most recent was flawed as an album but has some goddamn incredible individual songs, like Banished.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

YeahTubaMike posted:

So their lyrics get a little weird. Leave them alone, they're Finns and they make metal. There are so many things to complain about in Stand Up And Fight -- the words are the least of its problems.

Hey, I absolutely love that song too. The lyrics are weird but I don't feel that same sense of shameful embarrassment from reading those as I did with Fear the Fear. It helps that I don't know what the hell he is talking about.

I don't think we'll ever see Turisas make a song like "Cursed Be Iron" or "The Dnieper Rapids" again. It's a shame.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 25, 2011

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My favorite album that I listened to in 2011 was Agalloch-The Mantle

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yea, that's pretty much how I feel about this year. 99% of everything I had on rotation was older releases. It was not a spectacular year for music.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Totally forgot about the new Iced Earth album. I'll have to go pick that up. Listening to their video the new singer seems like a pretty awesome fit. Not sure I like his highs, but overall he seems pretty kickass and can hold his own. How is the album overall?

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I made some lovely black metal for GBS' yearly lovely Christmas Music thread. Figured you guys might get a kick out of it. :) Click the picture!

merry loving christmas goons!

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Objurium posted:

I made some lovely black metal for GBS' yearly lovely Christmas Music thread. Figured you guys might get a kick out of it. :) Click the picture!

merry loving christmas goons!

Now this, this is something special.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Well if we go this route, I'll just say that Machinae Supremacy - A View From The End Of The World and Wuthering Heights - Salt were my favourite albums for both 2010 and 2011.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I'm a little surprised that nobody is mentioning Origin's Entity, which is probably the only 2011 release I consistently go back to (I guess Symphony X was pretty good too). Sure, they didn't develop their sound much over Antithesis, but it's infinitely more enjoyable than the majority of technical death metal out there.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVHZWdN37Dc

Suicide Silence put a t-shirt from one of their videos up for sale, and it sold for WAY more than they thought it would, so they used that money to buy Christmas presents for kids.

This is the most :unsmith: thing I've ever watched.

EDIT: Video containing said shirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzG1E5mBzzA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
So, not one of those kids scooped a free guitar? Christmas cheer is spread, but not metal madness. :(