Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Skyssx posted:

The upper ball joints on my mom's Ranger were worse. The right side had a rusted tear in the top metal cap, there was no grease inside, there was a solid 1/2 cm play in all directions.

I replaced brake discs, bearings, pads, UCAs, lower ball joints, put it back together, one day later it blew the hardline that fed the back brakes. Fixed that, then the filler neck rusted through. Replaced that, still leaks a bit, need to drop the tank to replace the hose. The tank is plastic, so it CAN'T rust. Noticed while I was under the truck for the filler neck that the bedliner is now the main structural component of the bed. gently caress that truck.

gently caress rust. gently caress rust all to hell, and on the longer, slower scenic route all the way, and stopping for gas frequently. And gently caress rust's friends and family, too.

I've been nursing my Jeep Cherokee back to health after discovering a rust infection that dissolved the entire passenger side floor pan. Ordered a replacement pan today, and I'll be bedlining the whole floor now. I only hope I have cured this disease for the remainder of this notoriously hard to kill vehicle's life. Leaking windows and water absorbing sound dampening material can take that long road to hell, too.

Someday, I'm going to meet the engineer that ok'd that sound dampening material. With luck, this is the same guy that recommended using aluminum covers on lug nuts. Sumbitch is gonna pay for those shenanigans.

EDIT: Oh, snap, new page. Well, how about a picture of the rust I have to deal with?

Sorry for the small size. My phone isn't turning on at the moment, so this should give a general idea of what I'm fighting. This is not my picture!

I don't think I grabbed any pictures before I started cutting, but the floor at the rear passenger had completely rotted away. Whoever rode in the rear passenger seat only had the carpet to protect them from the heat of the exhaust.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Savington posted:

I was the head mechanic for 949Racing/Supermiata (E2 winner/8th overall and E2 3rd place).

Congratulations! That's a fantastic finish for any team, much less a fresh one. Any chance I could get a copy of that video or a youtube link? I don't have PMs at the moment but if I need to I'll pick it up for this.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Rujo King posted:

Man, gently caress Holden, go Ford!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY

Whee!

The first generation mustangs still kill more people per year in rear end collision than that little pinto incident.
http://forums.mustangworks.com/f10/safety-issue-64-70-mustangs-21016/

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

otaku69 posted:

The first generation mustangs still kill more people per year in rear end collision than that little pinto incident.

You'd think with how well-documented and easy to fix this is that people would do something about their death-traps :saddowns:.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

otaku69 posted:

403 forbidden? :confused:

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Might not be so horrible compared to some of the stuff in this thread, but not really a thing you want to happen to you while driving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dor1 posted:

Might not be so horrible compared to some of the stuff in this thread, but not really a thing you want to happen to you while driving.

There's a whole lot more to that story than just "happened while driving."

Rear brake calipers don't just fall off. There are pads missing that even if the caliper just fell off would still be in place. Pistons are kept in place by the placement of the caliper and, by the looks of that rotor, there was a problem for a while.

Looks more like wanton neglect than "something that happened."

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

meatpimp posted:

There's a whole lot more to that story than just "happened while driving."

Rear brake calipers don't just fall off. There are pads missing that even if the caliper just fell off would still be in place. Pistons are kept in place by the placement of the caliper and, by the looks of that rotor, there was a problem for a while.

Looks more like wanton neglect than "something that happened."

I don't really know the guy whose car this is, but from what i know he is a petrol head (imsobadwithwords).
Not that it really matters, the car was a '00 Legacy Outback.

But i find it hard to believe that he didn't notice anything wrong before going "oh god no brakes".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

By the looks if that, "ooh god no brakes" happened a while ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Skyssx posted:

The upper ball joints on my mom's Ranger were worse.

What year? In my 2000 you can't just press in new uppers, you have to replace the entire Upper Control Arm. I got Moog UCA's after my stock boots wore out. gently caress waiting for them to break.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

403 forbidden? :confused:

This is why you don't link to forums for evidence (stop doing this, people). Here's what I found after a 10 second search: 60 Minutes story.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Cakefool posted:

By the looks if that, "ooh god no brakes" happened a while ago.

That may be, but keep in mind that in Iceland everything is swimming in salt before you can say "helvítis snjór".

Ok that is a bad example, but you get my point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dor1 posted:

That may be, but keep in mind that in Iceland everything is swimming in salt before you can say "helvítis snjór".

Ok that is a bad example, but you get my point.

Salt doesn't make you put your foot on the brake pedal after you've removed the caliper.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Motronic posted:

Salt doesn't make you put your foot on the brake pedal after you've removed the caliper.

What i meant was that most disks look like this after say, 4 days, of no movement because of the insane amount of salt everywhere.

But i really have no idea what the condition of that car was, it appeared on a facebook feed (or whatever those things are called) and then sent to me.

dor1 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 22, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It just looks like a pic disassembled brake caliper taken during a brake replacement job, not something that happened while driving. There aren't even any scuff marks on the caliper itself (maybe on the back side?).

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What year? In my 2000 you can't just press in new uppers, you have to replace the entire Upper Control Arm. I got Moog UCA's after my stock boots wore out. gently caress waiting for them to break.

I did replace the UCA.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Skyssx posted:

The upper ball joints on my mom's Ranger were worse. The right side had a rusted tear in the top metal cap, there was no grease inside, there was a solid 1/2 cm play in all directions.

I replaced brake discs, bearings, pads, UCAs, lower ball joints, put it back together, one day later it blew the hardline that fed the back brakes. Fixed that, then the filler neck rusted through. Replaced that, still leaks a bit, need to drop the tank to replace the hose. The tank is plastic, so it CAN'T rust. Noticed while I was under the truck for the filler neck that the bedliner is now the main structural component of the bed. gently caress that truck.

Blagh. I know for a fact most of the front end of my Ranger is grease-free, but it still seems to go down the road well enough. Can't bring myself to spend the ~$400 or so in parts to do a full rebuild.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

IOwnCalculus posted:

Blagh. I know for a fact most of the front end of my Ranger is grease-free, but it still seems to go down the road well enough. Can't bring myself to spend the ~$400 or so in parts to do a full rebuild.

I knew there were issues for months. It didn't come to a head until there was no more pad on the brake pads and it was metal on metal grinding. The bearings I replaced because the brake pads were worn like //. It was the only way I could figure that happening.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I feel like this qualifies, if you consider the brain a mechanical object in any way:

Man crashes Lamborghini 6 hours after winning it

SANTAQUIN, Utah (AP) — A Utah man who won a $380,000 Lamborghini in a convenience store chain's contest says he crashed the sports car six hours after he got it.
KSL-TV reports the lime green Murcielago Roadster will head to a Las Vegas body shop Wednesday for repairs, days after David Dopp won it from Maverik stores' "Joe Schmo to Lambo" contest.
Dopp says he was taking friends and family on joy rides Saturday when the vehicle hit ice or gravel and started spinning. The car hit some fence posts and came to rest in a field.
The Lamborghini has front-end damage, a punctured wheel and scratches along the passenger side.
Dopp wasn't injured in the crash and says the vehicle is insured.
He also says he'll be more careful next time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I utterly disagree.

AlternateAccount posted:

A Utah man who won a $380,000 Lamborghini in a convenience store chain's contest

Anything I know about anything says that this will end up in a wreck within hours. It's not a failure, it's a complete deterministic non-turbulent flow of sociopolitical events.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

I utterly disagree.

Anything I know about anything says that this will end up in a wreck within hours. It's not a failure, it's a complete deterministic non-turbulent flow of sociopolitical events.

Laypeople can't drive?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Laypeople can't drive?

Pretty much but it really isn't a knock... I can't speak to the Lamborghini but my buddy is a Porsche tech. He said the Carrera GT from a few years back was a squirrely fucker. The quick throttle response and the light clutch was a handful. It is a lot of F1 car disguised as a street car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bogatyr posted:

Pretty much but it really isn't a knock... I can't speak to the Lamborghini but my buddy is a Porsche tech. He said the Carrera GT from a few years back was a squirrely fucker. The quick throttle response and the light clutch was a handful. It is a lot of F1 car disguised as a street car.

The CGT is much harder to drive than a modern audi-lambo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can't get a CGT with an autotragic transmission. Weeds out the poseurs/women. :smugbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Can't get a CGT with an autotragic transmission. Weeds out the poseurs/women. :smugbert:

My Woman can rebuild engines, carbs, and two strokes, and knows how to drive a Manual.

Sounds to me like your woman just can't handle a stick.

YEAHHHHHHHH

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

she sounds hung

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
my last made fun of me for driving a jeep with an auto in it. And thought it was awesome when I bought my 5-ton camo 10x10 military cargo truck.

She was pretty awesome aside from the whole crazy (bad crazy, not good crazy) part.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Remember that thing about ball joints? It also helps that if you replace your original ball joints with grease-able type ball joints, don't go with cheap parts.

Also, regular lubrication is a good idea too. I've seen a lot of negligent poo poo like this in my 11 years of fixing front ends.
I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people overlook/underestimate this stuff. :negative:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Laypeople can't drive?

Who knows if they can drive, but they sure as hell can't afford the taxes...yet he was mysteriously able to leverage his house to obtain full coverage insurance on it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had a kid bring his dad's CGT in and ask about getting some work done. I referred him to GMG and then he scraped the poo poo out of the front lip leaving the driveway and butchered the clutch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

I had a kid bring his dad's CGT in and ask about getting some work done. I referred him to GMG and then he scraped the poo poo out of the front lip leaving the driveway and butchered the clutch.
The good news is that the clutch on those is reasonably resilient compared to the competition.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I am now convinced that I should probably never own anything nice (read: fast), because I would probably "break it in" in about three days.

If I survived that long.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I already know exactly what would happen if I somehow got behind the wheel of a supercar. I would floor it and lock up from the overload of pure terror and excitement, then promptly leave a big red splatter on a wall. I've ran this scenario in my mind a thousand times, and it makes me feel better when I think that I could never afford such a thing. I'm confident in my driving skills but I'm not sure if could reign in a beast of a car.

It'd be a pretty sweet way to die though. Point an Enzo 150 MPH right into a wall.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My brother-in-law test-drove a Viper at some dealership in Arizona a few years back (when Vipers were new). I don't know where the salesman took him with it - a desert highway or a private track - but he said that he was going over 120MPH in 3rd or 4th gear and saw that the car had a long way to go (and at least two more gears) before it was wound out. Scared the crap out of him.

He wound up buying a supercharged Jaguar back home in PA. Much more sedate

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

astrollinthepork posted:

I already know exactly what would happen if I somehow got behind the wheel of a supercar. I would floor it and lock up from the overload of pure terror and excitement, then promptly leave a big red splatter on a wall. I've ran this scenario in my mind a thousand times, and it makes me feel better when I think that I could never afford such a thing. I'm confident in my driving skills but I'm not sure if could reign in a beast of a car.

It'd be a pretty sweet way to die though. Point an Enzo 150 MPH right into a wall.

this is why I will never own one either.

My jeep is enough of a handful at 90-100 that I am perfectly happy with it. With a faster, better handling car I'd just want to go faster, and get in more trouble.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here's the problem I have with this - cars that aren't meant to go fast are scary at the limit. Don't let that put you off wanting to learn to drive a fast car, or own one. Just because Joe Average doesn't have the sense not to drive a Murcielago on ice doesn't mean you can't drive fast. Also, some cars are easier to drive than others - a Viper is going to be much more of a handful at the limit compared to a Porsche Turbo or something similar.

Edit: emoticon was disappeared

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 24, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I'm pretty sure my limit is $500,000. A car more expensive than that is probably too much for me to drive. Murcielago? No problem. CCGT? I wouldn't even start the engine.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
We all have the lottery fantasies, having a bleeding edge supercar and all that. I have applied my basic sense of frugality to the days after I bought the thing. I would be terrified that I would end up with it impaled or shattered on something or other and forget about leaving it in a parking lot for a moment. Plus the whole ordeal of the service these things require. I don't think I am cut out for it. At least not the Enzo, CGT, Gumpert or what have you level of car. I think for that kind of driving experience, an Ariel Atom would probably be the ticket. Besides for the same amount of money you can have a stable of some respectable cars.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Bogatyr posted:

We all have the lottery fantasies, having a bleeding edge supercar and all that. I have applied my basic sense of frugality to the days after I bought the thing. I would be terrified that I would end up with it impaled or shattered on something or other and forget about leaving it in a parking lot for a moment. Plus the whole ordeal of the service these things require. I don't think I am cut out for it. At least not the Enzo, CGT, Gumpert or what have you level of car. I think for that kind of driving experience, an Ariel Atom would probably be the ticket. Besides for the same amount of money you can have a stable of some respectable cars.

If we're talking lottery rich, forget the Ariel atom, I'm buying enough land to build my own track and picking up last season's Redbull RB6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I work at an auction, and there is no terror greater than driving a bank owned supercar. I've driven a lot of the big boys from the past decade, and knowing how powerful and unforgiving they are, combined with the fact that they are owned by a large corporation scares the gently caress out of me.

We had a breathed on Ford GT come through and I was so scared of it I kept stalling trying to go in first gear. I ended up just starting it in second.

e- it was much easier to flog a legit 454SS Chevelle for some reason, probably because my boss told me to.

e2- as far as my lottery fantasy, I'd need a Cheetah, replica or otherwise. They are basically coffins with wheels, so that shows my level of intelligence.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 25, 2011