Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boat posted:

• gently caress lava forever

Eh, there's that one block I need to put down over there, I just need to skirt around the edge to do it and it's on the way back home, I'll just do it before I store my valuables in the chest for safekeeping.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Bagleworm posted:

Has anyone ever figured out why this is? I've noticed the areas on our map where rain doesn't make noise also doesn't have the rain splashing animation, but aside from that connection I've got nothin.

It doesn't precipitate at all in some biomes, like desert, so you're probably just in a biome without any rain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Am I the only one that gets absolutely horrible lag when it starts raining and I'm in like the middle of a forest or something? I go from very very good fps to the equivalent of me trying to play the game on a toaster. All I can do is wait for night, sleep in a bed, and wait for it to go away.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

It doesn't precipitate at all in some biomes, like desert, so you're probably just in a biome without any rain.

What makes me laugh is how painfully stark the change is. I was gathering sand for my glassworks a couple days ago and the sky got dark at noon-ish. No rain, though. I took two steps to the side to get around a hole, edged into the neighboring swamp biome and sudden torrential downpour. Move half a step back into the desert, and it instantly stops. I understand what they're trying for, but it was just so drat silly.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Elysiume posted:

The rain sound effect singlehandedly makes me play the game muted. Out building, when SSHSHHHHH SHSHHHH HSSHSHHH HSHSHHHH.

You can turn off fancy graphics and it doesn't play the rain sound.

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
^^Setting particles to minimal also works.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Am I the only one that gets absolutely horrible lag when it starts raining and I'm in like the middle of a forest or something? I go from very very good fps to the equivalent of me trying to play the game on a toaster. All I can do is wait for night, sleep in a bed, and wait for it to go away.

You might want to mess around with Optifine. There are a bunch of versions with varying degrees of performance and appearance tweaks, but all of them have the option to disable/enable both the rainfall and rain splash effects which may be slowing down your system.

Just be sure to install on a clean minecraft.jar. You don't have to worry about patching for HD textures or custom water/lava, as Optifine takes care of that as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tempest_56 posted:

What makes me laugh is how painfully stark the change is. I was gathering sand for my glassworks a couple days ago and the sky got dark at noon-ish. No rain, though. I took two steps to the side to get around a hole, edged into the neighboring swamp biome and sudden torrential downpour. Move half a step back into the desert, and it instantly stops. I understand what they're trying for, but it was just so drat silly.

There needs to be more overlap between biomes. The sudden shifts between them just makes them seem too separate. If there was more overlap they'd not only seem more realistic, but also probably result in more interesting terrain. I mean there is stuff look deserts that get regular snow falls so why shouldn't the same thing happen in Minecraft?

There are tons of things that could be done the improve the game, but the updates are coming at a really slow rate.

TB-303 Player
Dec 3, 2008

BOOTS and PANTS and
BOOTS and PANTS and
Dear players of Minecraft:

My buddy, indie rocker Daniel Pujol is looking for "Minecraft artists". He didn't get any more specific about what he meant/needed than that 'cause he's a weird enigmatic dude. I think he wants someone to build him something in Minecraft, possibly for a music video, not sure.

Just so you know, Daniel may not be Slash, but he isn't small potatoes either, he's released a slew of records on JEFF the Brotherhood's Infinity Cat label, as well as Jack White's Third Man label, and is currently signed to Saddle Creek records. He is a legit professional musician and may pay you for your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqw2S5oUzJg

he can be reached via his website: http://pujoldotcom.com/ or through twitter @DANIELPUJOL, or you can just reply to this thread and I can pass any relevant info along to him (other ways probably faster though)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to have double iron doors? When I lay the second one down, it's always in the opposition state the first door's current in (if #1 is open, #2 is closed, and vice versa).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Jamesman posted:

Is there any way to have double iron doors? When I lay the second one down, it's always in the opposition state the first door's current in (if #1 is open, #2 is closed, and vice versa).

Try inverting one of their power states with a lever or a redstone torch underneath the door.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Try inverting one of their power states with a lever or a redstone torch underneath the door.

OK, but then what would I do if I wanted to set up a switch to open/close both doors together?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do you want it on a switch or on a pressure plate or on a button?

In any case, you need to put a torch under each door, one off, one on, and have your switch flip the states of both of them.

edit: doesn't look like this is working, must be a wonderful new bug

muike fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 28, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Levers. One inside the house and one outside. Buttons have too short a window and pressure plates can be activated by mobs.

So I'd basically need a circular redstone circuit which connects both levers to both doors, triggering opposite effects to each door?

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Try an xor circuit. It can toggle from both sides, you'll just need an inverter on one of the doors because minecraft is weird about double doors.

EDIT: Something like this, since this post felt low-content.

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 28, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pretentious Turtle posted:

edit: doesn't look like this is working, must be a wonderful new bug

Yeah, I can't get anything to work either. Redstone torches are just overriding every other power input in the circuit and are always "on."

Hobo By Design posted:

EDIT: Something like this, since this post felt low-content.

Wait, how are you getting this to work? I'll try copying this setup, but like I said, the redstone torches are hosed up.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 28, 2011

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else find it ridiculous that it takes this much work to get double doors to work properly in this game?

EDIT: What's this new update?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 28, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Kinda, it'd be fine if they were less buggy. Whenever I see people complain about redstone poo poo I can empathize but it really adds a lot to minecraft for me, redstone is like a puzzle and I'd probably enjoy minecraft less without it nowadays.

I don't know jack poo poo about circuits beyond some very basic principles so the puzzles are even more challenging. Puzzle game!

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

TB-303 Player posted:

Dear players of Minecraft:

My buddy, indie rocker Daniel Pujol is looking for "Minecraft artists". He didn't get any more specific about what he meant/needed than that 'cause he's a weird enigmatic dude. I think he wants someone to build him something in Minecraft, possibly for a music video, not sure.

Just so you know, Daniel may not be Slash, but he isn't small potatoes either, he's released a slew of records on JEFF the Brotherhood's Infinity Cat label, as well as Jack White's Third Man label, and is currently signed to Saddle Creek records. He is a legit professional musician and may pay you for your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqw2S5oUzJg

he can be reached via his website: http://pujoldotcom.com/ or through twitter @DANIELPUJOL, or you can just reply to this thread and I can pass any relevant info along to him (other ways probably faster though)

Tell him to shoot me an email at soccerkh13@gmail.com

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Jamesman posted:

Levers. One inside the house and one outside. Buttons have too short a window and pressure plates can be activated by mobs.

So I'd basically need a circular redstone circuit which connects both levers to both doors, triggering opposite effects to each door?

mobs don't trigger stone pressure plates. Easiest way to do double doors is with this tutorial (in the OP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzuplCco8Dg

yeah, guess you're right, never mind.
\/\/\/\/

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 28, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Schweinhund posted:

mobs don't trigger stone pressure plates. Easiest way to do double doors is with this tutorial (in the OP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzuplCco8Dg
They don't? I thought all that stone pressure plates ignored was items.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I just wish you could open iron doors with nothing at all connected to them, like wooden ones.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The circuit Hobo By Design posted worked fine after all. I don't know why that worked, but my previous attempts to set up a circuit weren't cooperating.

Thanks for the help. Now I can start work on some iron gates.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
If anyone uses Akliz for their Minecraft server and maybe hasn't yet checked their email today, it looks like they had a data breach and customer information was stolen.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

Got banned from lame-o server for doing this

Tane fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 30, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know who built/worked in these mineshafts before they were abandoned, but they really liked to get crazy with their digging.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
And lazy. So much ore exposed in these shafts they never bothered to dig out. Sometimes they built their support posts (which don't support anything) right over some ore :downs:.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Tane posted:

Why does that surprise you?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sudoku posted:

And lazy. So much ore exposed in these shafts they never bothered to dig out. Sometimes they built their support posts (which don't support anything) right over some ore :downs:.

Well I'm not taking the logic behind the mineshafts too seriously. It's just the way the game generates them seems even more convoluted than the way natural caves are generated, which really doesn't make any sense.

I do what I can to make navigation easier though. Putting torches only on one wall, and sealing up passages I've finished clearing. But then you eventually get to these weird overlapping sections with 10 different paths or those huge underground ravines where it's just supports floating in the air and things get a bit more confusing.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jamesman posted:

As someone who hates Steam

How can you hate like the best thing in PC gaming?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

Everyone hates Steam until they do their first major PC upgrade, if they haven't been modern since Valve worked most of the bugs out of the service.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

His computer is barely good enough to post on this forum, and doesn't even meet Minecraft's system reqs. It's not a surprise that he hates steam, which must be completely unusable to him.

Foolscap
Sep 12, 2004

Tane posted:

I banned some Aussie from my server for mentioning that he planned on doing this same project(not his first offense of grievous stupidity)
He thought we were being too harsh at his "joke". Some people just don't get it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Tane posted:

Pfff ... we have a much better one at spawn on my server;

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

fondue posted:

I'm terribly offended at this. It's like you haven't even tried sprucing up the ground underneath so it isn't all grass

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

fondue posted:

That's absolutely terrible!

There was only an antenna on the North tower... :911:

what is it about minecraft that makes people want to recreate 9/11

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

redmercer posted:

I think it's just video games in general that make people want to recreate 9/11. Look at any open world game that will let you get in a plane.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I think it's just video games in general that make people want to recreate 9/11. Look at any open world game that will let you get in a plane.

I don't think this is a 9/11 thing. I fly planes into everything, given the chance. Which reminds me, must load up Just Cause some time.

Speaking of 9/11 in Minecraft though, has anyone tried recreating that Korean building design that was in the news recently?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

redmercer posted:

That's absolutely terrible!

There was only an antenna on the North tower... :911:

I'll have words with the author, I think it disrepects the memory of the event to not put an effort in recreating it without at least some effort to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I was flying planes into buildings far before 9/11. Am I a hipster terrorist?