Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Prolonged Shame posted:

I had my baby!

Congratulations! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

EDIT: New page, here's Santa Bruce

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

On the subject of leaving the house with a newborn, I was desperate to get out of the house after that first week. I mostly tried to limit our exposure to crowded, germy places. I'm so so so grateful that I researched babywearing before I had this kid. It's drat convenient for around the house, not to mention errands and shopping. I haven't even been tempted to take the stroller out of the house, and we've been able to avoid hauling around the baby in the car seat. I think having the baby in a carrier on my chest is pretty helpful for keeping strangers from touching him, too.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Prolonged Shame posted:

I had my baby! Calvin Harper was born at 3:36 PM on Dec 16th.

Congrats! And what a great name!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Prolonged Shame posted:

I had my baby! Calvin Harper was born at 3:36 PM on Dec 16th. We had a scheduled induction (the horror!) because I'd been having contractions for two weeks with very little progress. I was 40W2D along, 3 cm dilated and 60% effaced, but Calvin was at -3 station. After 22 hours of labor (Pitocin) which wasn't so bad thanks to my epidural, i was 10cm dilated, 100% effaced, and he had only dropped to 0 station. He was head down but facing up and attempts to turn him were unsuccessful. At this point, his heart rate was dropping with every contraction so they mentioned the possibility of c-section. I agreed to it and a few hours later we were in the OR. I had a spinal block and was conscious. It was weird but not painful. When they pulled him out he was 7lbs 15.5 oz, 21 in long, and had a 15 in circumference head. He was also completely entangled in the cord which was why he was unable to drop any further than he did. My doc said that I would have ended up with a c-section no matter what, between the cord issue and the huge head. I'm happy to have a healthy baby, even though recovery is not super fun.

Breastfeeding was tough at first and we supplemented with formula quite a bit but now that my milk has come in it seems to be going well. Everyone you meet has a different 'foolproof' way to do it, but different things work better for different people. We're having sleep issues of course, and all the grandparents are driving us crazy (they want to come over and 'help' by holding the baby for hours on end) but he's super awesome and I love him more than I ever thought possible!

My daughter was also wrapped around the cord, scary stuff! Glad everything went relatively well and congrats :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I'm really glad you're looking at this from a better perspective and taking steps to get out of the house, but please, still talk to a licensed professional. You're initial post sounded a lot like post partum depression. That poo poo is not something to be taken lightly. Just want to make sure you're truly going to be okay (which you will be!).

Thanks. Both my wife and I have agreed, that if these feelings persist, we will seek out professional help.

Today was a great day. We packed up the car and headed into town and picked up sandwiches and ate lunch on a bench near the river with the baby. After that we made quick trips to a couple stores (with one of us waiting in the car with baby - it is flu season and stores are packed for the holidays). My wife even managed to change a dirty diaper in the car - another big deal to us!

Those few hours away from the house did us wonders, and I'm thankful for the advice dispensed in this thread. We will try to take advantage of any nice day for the rest of the winter and get out for more time out of the house.

Here's a picture of our girl :love:

(ugly fabrics courtesy of the hospital)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Well I was in this thread earlier in the year but ended up with a miscarriage. My husband and I decided to wait after that but ended up getting drunk a couple times and well... I'm pregnant again. We're super excited! Since the last time was my first pregnancy there's a high chance this one will stick.

I'm just kind of guessing on the dates of everything but I think I'm at roughly 5 weeks. It seems like my symptoms are stronger this time. My boobs area hurting earlier than I would have expected and I'm already starving all the time!

Also I just want to say I just cried from an episode of Thundercats.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Awesome Kristin posted:

Also I just want to say I just cried from an episode of Thundercats.

Congrats! Also, I just want to say that early in my pregnancy I cried at the end of Star Trek: The Voyage Home.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

I'm just kind of guessing on the dates of everything but I think I'm at roughly 5 weeks. It seems like my symptoms are stronger this time. My boobs area hurting earlier than I would have expected and I'm already starving all the time!

With my daughter I had no symptoms short of nausea, a headache from time to time and nose bleeding. This time around my skin is super dry and itchy (eczema ughhh) and I'm having joint pain. It's only 2 months in and already this pregnancy has been more rough than my first ;)

Also, congrats!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Congrats on the new baby, Prolonged Shame!

And congrats on the new pregnancy, Awesome Kristin!

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
So, I need some advice about getting my breast milk back. I had a pretty rough day a few days ago and I just was so depressed over everything that has been going on that I didn't pump for a whole day. 

The nurses have advised me to pump every two hours now, which I'm doing, and getting less than an oz each time. I'm also using Mother's Milk Tea. But I was wondering if anyone had more advice for me. My mother heard somewhere that drinking a glass of wine or a beer would help bring it back. 

Just for a quick update, my daughter is still in the NICU but doing pretty well. The last thing was to get her to hold her own body temperature, the next thing is to get her off the feeding tube and onto the bottle. 

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
This page has a lot of tips for pumping:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/maintainsupply-pump.html

Oatmeal is supposed to help so if you like that, eat a lot of it. Fenugreek capsules are supposed to help. Make sure you're drinking enough water.

Good luck!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
There's a prescription medication now for upping milk supply, might be worth checking with your doctor about it if the other methods don't help enough.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

legbeard posted:

So, I need some advice about getting my breast milk back.  

I exclusively pumped for two years, and kept track of my milk output in a journal. The only, only, only thing that made any difference in my milk output was domperidone. And I tried everything before going on it. Nothing made even 1mL difference. The domperidone was a godsend (but it made me ravenous for the first couple of months) and it allowed me to give my daughter breast milk until after she turned 2. Maybe other people have noticed effects that aren't there with the milk tea or other things, or maybe that other stuff works for some people, but seriously, domperidone was the only thing that worked for me.

primordia
Mar 6, 2006

I wish I could be everywhere where people was doin aut!
I just want to chime in with my experience and say that pitocin is not necessarily a sentence for anguish and/or c-section. I was all geared up for a "natural" birth when at a 40w1d checkup the doctors decided to keep me at the hospital until I had my daughter (low amniotic fluid). The dirty pitocin word was whispered and I was bawling once the doctor left the room, certain I was in store for unrelenting pain and a c-section. I immediately called my doula who was super chill and supportive about it. I have no idea how much easier labor would have been without it but things progressed rather well for me, though I had been dilated 2cm for about a week. 15 hours total and I had my daughter with no pain meds needed. The pain was forgotten the moment I gave birth...our hormones can be nice like that.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

legbeard posted:

So, I need some advice about getting my breast milk back. I had a pretty rough day a few days ago and I just was so depressed over everything that has been going on that I didn't pump for a whole day. 

The nurses have advised me to pump every two hours now, which I'm doing, and getting less than an oz each time. I'm also using Mother's Milk Tea. But I was wondering if anyone had more advice for me. My mother heard somewhere that drinking a glass of wine or a beer would help bring it back. 

Just for a quick update, my daughter is still in the NICU but doing pretty well. The last thing was to get her to hold her own body temperature, the next thing is to get her off the feeding tube and onto the bottle. 

Make sure you're getting enough calories too! Oatmeal and plenty of water helped me when my supply took a hit from being sick. I've heard the beer thing too. :) I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well!

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
Hello everyone! I used to be a childless lurker back a few years ago, but it made me sad so I stopped. I can now say that after a pretty traumatic miscarriage at 9 weeks back in July, I am 16 and a half weeks pregnant.

I finally have my horrendous morning sickness under control with the aid of Zofran, but I am now having terrible headaches. How much Tylenol is safe to take? I'm terrified of taking to much and frying my baby's liver before it even gets a chance to drink. Are there any other remedies that work?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

The oval office Pickle posted:

Hello everyone! I used to be a childless lurker back a few years ago, but it made me sad so I stopped. I can now say that after a pretty traumatic miscarriage at 9 weeks back in July, I am 16 and a half weeks pregnant.

I finally have my horrendous morning sickness under control with the aid of Zofran, but I am now having terrible headaches. How much Tylenol is safe to take? I'm terrified of taking to much and frying my baby's liver before it even gets a chance to drink. Are there any other remedies that work?

I would call your doctor and ask this question.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Your OB can prescribe something stronger for the headaches. It's what I did with my first pregnancy. Talk to your OB. Good luck!

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I would call your doctor and ask this question.

My midwife group is one of those "all natural" types and doesn't want me to take any meds whatsoever and gave me hell for the Zofran so I'm afraid. :( But it's the only birthing center near here where I can have a water birth and they're awesome otherwise. My main midwife just went on maternity leave and she was awesome about it.

Thanks for the replies!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My midwife group is one of those "all natural" types and doesn't want me to take any meds whatsoever and gave me hell for the Zofran so I'm afraid. :( But it's the only birthing center near here where I can have a water birth and they're awesome otherwise. My main midwife just went on maternity leave and she was awesome about it.

Thanks for the replies!

I'd still definitely ask them about the Tylenol. Sometimes those headaches are so bad you can't even function properly. I think the recommended dose on the bottle is not to exceed like 8 in a day? I imagine it'd be less than that if you're also pregnant.

e: the recommended dose in a day is not to exceed 8 in a 24 hour period, and to take 2 every 6 hours. So yea, definitely ask the practice.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010

bamzilla posted:

I'd still definitely ask them about the Tylenol. Sometimes those headaches are so bad you can't even function properly. I think the recommended dose on the bottle is not to exceed like 8 in a day? I imagine it'd be less than that if you're also pregnant.

e: the recommended dose in a day is not to exceed 8 in a 24 hour period, and to take 2 every 6 hours. So yea, definitely ask the practice.

I was planning to suck it up and ask anyway. My anxiety with this pregnancy has gotten to ridiculous points at times, with extreme fear of people being mean to me. I have no real explanation as to why. :iiam:

I take far, far less than that, so I should be golden.

I had to yell at the midwife that gave me the Zofran because she suggested just lying down until I felt better. I work full time. That was not an option. And then I cried because I felt like a bitch.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Thanks for the replies!

Your midwife sounds like a jerk. I don't think giving someone hell for taking a medication that was prescribed for them and that helps them function makes up for them otherwise being good. That is out of line.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2011

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010

Panne posted:

Your midwife sounds like a jerk. I don't think giving someone hell for taking a medication that was prescribed for them and that helps them function makes up for them otherwise being good. That is out of line.

I agree completely. This was the first (and hopefully only) time I had to talk to her. They have the "rotating" appointment schedule as they are a group of 10 and want you to meet everyone. She was old and bitchy and when I told her I was taking docusate sodium, and I was told to by an OB, another midwife, and a pharmacist because without it I didn't poop for 2+ weeks you had thought I told her I was eating toxic waste.

It was the only appointment my husband had missed. When he came home later that afternoon I told him and he was upset he missed fighting with the old bat.

I miss my pregnant midwife. She was awesome.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

bamzilla posted:

4 grams of Tylenol is the maximum daily dose, any more than that and you run into liver problems. So the above is correct for extra strength Tylenol (500mg). Regular Tylenol I believe is 325mg, so no more than 12 of those per day. I think as long as you stay under your daily recommended dose the baby should be fine (though I am not a doctor, just someone who's worked in pharmacy a while).

And if you're getting a lot of headaches, try drinking more water. I know I've always been stupid about keeping myself hydrated and a couple glasses of water a day helped me a lot. Besides, you'll need the practice if you decide to breastfeed.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Lyz posted:

And if you're getting a lot of headaches, try drinking more water. I know I've always been stupid about keeping myself hydrated and a couple glasses of water a day helped me a lot. Besides, you'll need the practice if you decide to breastfeed.

Watching your water is so helpful - dehydration can certainly cause killer headaches. The other thing I'd suggest is keeping your caffeine intake consistent day to day; suddenly going off caffeine will often cause me to get a headache, and if I let it go too long, it turns into a raging migraine.

WingedVictory
Apr 7, 2007
Hi thread!

My husband and I found out about two weeks ago that I'm pregnant. After the initial shock (we weren't quite ready to start trying yet...), we've both gotten pretty excited about it. I think I'm a little over 6 weeks, but the OB I've chosen (or her practice) won't see new patients until 8-10 weeks, so my first appointment isn't until Jan. 10th. I'm trying not to freak out before then because I know there's really nothing I can do at this point but take my vitamins, try to eat healthy, etc.

I do have a question though, that I'll of course ask when I see her, but would really like to see if anyone can give me any feedback on. I believe I'll be having an ultrasound at that appointment for dating and to see the heartbeat, but I assume I won't be having another ultrasound until around 20 weeks. I know 13 weeks is sort of the magic number for lower chance of miscarriage and that's when we're planning on telling everyone (we told immediate family over Christmas though), but how do you know between 8 and 13 weeks that nothing has gone wrong? I know early on you can have a miscarriage and not know it...does that change after 8 weeks so that it would be obvious if something happened? Does that make any sense?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

WingedVictory posted:

I do have a question though, that I'll of course ask when I see her, but would really like to see if anyone can give me any feedback on. I believe I'll be having an ultrasound at that appointment for dating and to see the heartbeat, but I assume I won't be having another ultrasound until around 20 weeks. I know 13 weeks is sort of the magic number for lower chance of miscarriage and that's when we're planning on telling everyone (we told immediate family over Christmas though), but how do you know between 8 and 13 weeks that nothing has gone wrong? I know early on you can have a miscarriage and not know it...does that change after 8 weeks so that it would be obvious if something happened? Does that make any sense?

You won't be having an ultrasound until 18-20 weeks again, likely, but your OB will probably be doing external measuring and using the fetal doppler to find a heartbeat. At least, that's what mine does at each appointment. The reason people have miscarriages early on and not know it is usually because they don't realize they're even pregnant and just dismiss it as a period. If you already know you're pregnant, it's hard to have a miscarriage and not be aware of what's going on. If you have heavy bleeding accompanied by cramping, fever, soreness, that's a pretty good indication if it's a later miscarriage (after 4 weeks or so). Good luck and hope that helps!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
You may also be offered an optional ultrasound + extra blood tests to check for Downs Syndrome risk around 12 weeks, generally referred to as the Nuchal Translucency scan. I think pretty much all doctors in the US (assuming you're in the US) give you the choice of doing this. Be aware that that because that one is considered optional, your insurance may not cover it.

But the root of your question is basically about if you would know if you miscarried, and yeah, you're not going to end up with an unnoticed miscarriage at 8 weeks or later.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Downs Syndrome risk around 12 weeks,

12 weeks is too early for that particular test, I thought? I know someone who had one at around then and was told the fetus had some abnormalities and it turns out it was just too early for the test. I think the average timing is around 14-18 weeks with 13 being on the early side.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

bamzilla posted:

12 weeks is too early for that particular test, I thought? I know someone who had one at around then and was told the fetus had some abnormalities and it turns out it was just too early for the test. I think the average timing is around 14-18 weeks with 13 being on the early side.

At least here in California, it's required to have the NT ultrasound before 13 weeks or the measurement won't be accurate.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

bamzilla posted:

The last day they would do the scan and bloodwork for me was at 13 weeks 7 days.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Guess I'm thinking of the amnio :)

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I'm 37 weeks now and this kiddo is still breech. She is the most stubborn thing. I'm scheduled for an ECV on Thursday morning to try and get her to flip. Honestly I'm not thrilled about it - of course I want to do what I can to avoid a C-section but from what I gather, the ECV can be quite unpleasant and take a long time, and only has about a 50/50 chance of even being successful. Has anyone else had this procedure done? If so how bad was it and did it work for you?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

bamzilla posted:

I just had mine done 1.5 weeks ago and they want to be as close to 12 weeks 0 days as possible. They'll do it as "early" as 11.5 weeks or as "late" as 13.5 weeks, but the window for the test seems to be really small.

Wikipedia gives this as a :science: answer: "The translucent area measured (the nuchal translucency) is only useful to measure between 11 and 14 weeks of gestation, when the fetal lymphatic system is developing and the peripheral resistance of the placenta is high. After 14 weeks the lymphatic system is likely to have developed sufficiently to drain away any excess fluid, and changes to the placental circulation will result in a drop in peripheral resistance. So after this time any abnormalities causing fluid accumulation may seem to correct themselves and can thus go undetected by nuchal scanning."

You could also be thinking of the "triple scan" (or "quad scan" depending on if you get 3 blood tests or 4), which is just a bunch of blood tests without ultrasound, but is done at roughly 15 weeks. There are soooo many tests available now, it gets kinda hard to keep track of what's what.

As a related side note, my Nuchal translucency test results just came back and my age + my scan + my bloodwork indicates a "less than 1 in 10,000" risk for Downs and "less than 1 in 6,400" risk for trisomy 18. Which are insanely good numbers. If you go based off of my age alone my Downs risk is between 1 in 500-750 and my overall risk of any kind of trisomy is like 1 in 300-400. And that 12 week ultrasound is just crazy stuff. I may have to pay for this out-of-pocket, but I think the extra test was worth it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yea, it's the quad screen I was thinking of, which I thought also includes the downs testing. I had mine done around 14 weeks the first time around and am not bothering this time around since I'm only 32.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

bamzilla posted:

Yea, it's the quad screen I was thinking of, which I thought also includes the downs testing. I had mine done around 14 weeks the first time around and am not bothering this time around since I'm only 32.

The quad screen does include Downs testing, it's just a different type of Downs testing. I guess when you've got extra chromosomes it makes multiple different hormones measure differently than they should.

The triple/quad screen also tests for neural tube defects like spina bifida or anencephaly, which the Nuchal translucency test does not test for. I mean, I could see on my ultrasound that there is clearly a big, round, normally shaped head, so anencephaly is unlikely, but it doesn't tell me anything about spina bifida, so I'll still be getting the triple/quad screen.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats to the new goon mommies to be!

My doctor's website has 2000 mg listed as the max for Tylenol but I had the same issue when I took Zofran. I asked during an appointment because I was getting no relief at all and she said that I could actually take up to 4000 mg in a 24 hour period if I absolutely needed to. She also told me to make sure I was drinking plenty of water and suggested taking the Tylenol with some caffeine since lying down in a dark room wasn't an option for me either.

WingedVictory posted:

I know 13 weeks is sort of the magic number for lower chance of miscarriage and that's when we're planning on telling everyone (we told immediate family over Christmas though), but how do you know between 8 and 13 weeks that nothing has gone wrong? I know early on you can have a miscarriage and not know it...does that change after 8 weeks so that it would be obvious if something happened? Does that make any sense?

I worried like crazy about staying pregnant between when we found out and saw her heartbeat to the 20 week anatomy scan. Ultimately everything was fine and I worried for no good reason. The morning sickness, sore boobs, and expanding belly helped me realize that she was okay and growing. The doppler at the doctor's visits helped and if I got super paranoid on a particular day I picked up a dollar store pregnancy test to see that super dark line appear. It really was my crazy hormones but somehow spending a couple bucks over the few weeks between scans really put my mind at ease that I was still pregnant and that she was okay. I think total I took 9 pregnancy tests from when I found out until my 20 week scan. Like I said, not super logical by any means but it helped me keep my sanity.

WingedVictory
Apr 7, 2007
Thanks bamzilla and Bahunter22! I guess what I'm worried about is the chance that the fetus could stop growing/developing but not actually be "miscarried". Hopefully I'll have another appointment where I'll at least be able to hear the heartbeat around 13 weeks and that will help alleviate my fears.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Those of you who are worried in the early days can always try purchasing a hand-held fetal heart doppler to use at home between doctor visits. I picked up a HB at around 9 weeks and I checked it once a week for peace of mind, and it helped a lot. You can find them on eBay or Amazon. The downside is that not everyone can pick up the HB, especially if you have extra body fat or an anterior placenta, so you have to be prepared to possibly not find anything and not stress yourself out over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I was going to say the same thing about the doppler. I have one that I bought used off of Craigslist for $40, and they're only about $55 brand new (and you can always resell it on Craigslist when you're done with it). Mine is a "Sonoline B Fetal Doppler" with a 3Mhz probe, and I really like it.

I didn't get it due to nervousness, I actually only bought it to take to the families' houses for Christmas. I thought it would be a nice way to involve the grandparents. It turned out that my husband and I both enjoy it more than we anticipated, and we "check in" every night right before bed.

It can take a few tries to figure out how to find the heartbeat reliably, especially since it's easier to pick up the sound of your own swooshing through an artery in your abdomen. I hear that some people take their doppler in to a doctor's appointment and have the doctor show them how to use it, though I just watched some YouTube videos and experimented a bit. If anyone buys one, I can point you towards the videos that I found the most helpful.

EDIT: You also want to stay away from things like this:http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3977278&prodFindSrc=search
which is not a doppler, but more like a digitally amplified stethoscope. You won't hear anything prior to roughly 16 weeks with this kind of thing.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 28, 2011