Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Main thing that always bugged me about Lithtech was the really flat lighting. They tended to use a ton of non-shadow-casting geometry and model shading was really flat for some reason.

You can see the former in spades in their own demos: The buildings cast shadows, but the lightposts and the gigantic pine trees don't. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

AVP CLASSIC: SATURDAY - IS A GO.

I will make a posting later. What's a good time for everyone that can make it?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm really at a loss for how to load memorial.wad in PrBoom+.

I get as far as renaming it to "doom.wad," but then, if I understand the error message, it complains about the iwad tag header in the file being wrong.

Is there a better way to play custom wads on MacOs?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

I get as far as renaming it to "doom.wad," but then, if I understand the error message, it complains about the iwad tag header in the file being wrong.

If you rename it doom.wad it'll think it's the original doom iwad and that's why it throws a fit.

I don't know all that much about MacOS, but here are the ways you load custom wads on Windows.

Option 1) Create a shortcut and add "-file memorial.wad" into the target location for the shortcut.

Option 2) Go into the options inside PrBoom+ and enable the smart launcher. Then every time you go to run PrBoom+ you'll get a list of wads to choose from.

Option 3) Drag and drop memorial.wad onto the exe file (and maybe doom2.wad along with it).

If none of these work in MacOS then I have no idea.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Doc Hawkins posted:

From the terminal, assuming prboom+ is on your path:
prboom-plus -iwad <path to doom2.wad> -file <path to memorial.wad>

Can't say more than that, no mac.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Merry Christmas, thread! I have two bits of nice news for you.

First, I've released a stupid new GZDoom mod! It's called Reelism and it's basically you versus a pissed off RNG. People seem to like it so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpSJ-sYtZ4c
Download!

Second thing, our beloved Brutal Doom is planning a new release for Christmas Day (Brazil time, presumably). Not much word on what's new, though.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If you're into Duke mods, I just released the AMC TC which is a HUGE mod featuring 8 characters (some from past Duke Nukem mods) that's a mash-up of Duke, SW (The not-racist parts), Blood, X-com, Deus Ex, Half-life, just about every decent FPS you can think of in old times. It's standalone so you don't need Duke installed, but you should grab a copy off of GoG or wherever anyways since it has a shitload of other mods worth checking out too.

You can check out the release topic here:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5127-amc-tc-released-merry-x-mas/

Here's some dated videos you can check out on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vygh8MN6xaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdyBSL9L6rw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awo8qfBbbkU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutal Doom is the best goddamned thing, but finding wads that are fun to play with it in Doom 2 is really difficult.

I played through (and really enjoyed) doom the way id did, but all the d2 wads I play just turn into really staggeringly painful rapefests via chaingunners/revenants/whatever.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

First, I've released a stupid new GZDoom mod! It's called Reelism and it's basically you versus a pissed off RNG. People seem to like it so far.
Download!

This is really charming and fun! I managed to beat the Dog Pope (or the Pope Dog?) on the first map, haven't had any luck with the second map.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The Kins posted:

Reelism
This is awesome. The results of the roll could stay up a bit longer, though, half the time I'm too busy dodging/killing to read all the results before they disappear.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Download!.

Agreeing that this mod is quite addictive and fun. Some observations:

1. The Wolf3D pistol is pretty much useless, especially when compared to the starting handgun. So all it really accomplishes is giving a nod to old-school shooters (and cluttering up the inventory.)

2. The flamethrower isn't really fun to use, and I don't quite know why. It looks good, but the projectiles move a lot slower than the player, making it an awkward weapon that I mostly avoid using.

3. In the last ~2 hours of playing, I've had a lot of situations where I had no ammo and was unable to keep enough in stock through weapon pickups, alone. The fist is not really a great fallback weapon.

The game really shines when you're running around, blasting poo poo with the DB Shotgun or that ROTT Pipe-bomb-style launcher and strafing enemy fire like you're playing a Bullet Hell game. I think it would really kick some rear end if you got your hands on some Duke3D / Blood weapons. This game's clearly all about random mass mayhem, but it's currently lacking in the hardware department. If you're planning to continue working and expanding on it, I think Reelism's found a permanent place on my computer.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

Mystery Meat (E2M9) is loving awesome. :black101:

Darkness Dawning from The Dark Side of Phobos is one of my favorite songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMBxS56Sjs

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

In Reelism it would be cool if the end-game results screen listed the boss you were given.

Also funny I just got the tank three rounds in a row.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

1. The Wolf3D pistol is pretty much useless, especially when compared to the starting handgun. So all it really accomplishes is giving a nod to old-school shooters (and cluttering up the inventory.)
I tried to at least tip the hat to accuracy to the original Wolfenstein 3D (it would take a terrifying amount of hacky tricks to make it truly accurate!), which means that the pistol is more or less useless if you have the Machinegun or Chaingun. I'll probably remove it, because it looks like it's one of the sounds-good-on-paper things that I removed during development for not being fun (like the "you can't move but you can aim and shoot" rule... man that sucked.)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

2. The flamethrower isn't really fun to use, and I don't quite know why. It looks good, but the projectiles move a lot slower than the player, making it an awkward weapon that I mostly avoid using.
I agree, the flamethrower could use a lot of tweaking. I'll have a bit of a play with it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

3. In the last ~2 hours of playing, I've had a lot of situations where I had no ammo and was unable to keep enough in stock through weapon pickups, alone. The fist is not really a great fallback weapon.
Enemies should drop ammo based off of what the current weapon rule is. Currently the weapon priorities are messed up so if you run out of ammo you switch back to your fists regardless of if you have a better weapon. As long as you're able to keep killing dudes, you should be able to have a decent chunk of ammo for something.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The game really shines when you're running around, blasting poo poo with the DB Shotgun or that ROTT Pipe-bomb-style launcher and strafing enemy fire like you're playing a Bullet Hell game. I think it would really kick some rear end if you got your hands on some Duke3D / Blood weapons. This game's clearly all about random mass mayhem, but it's currently lacking in the hardware department. If you're planning to continue working and expanding on it, I think Reelism's found a permanent place on my computer.
Yeah, I agree that the game could use more weapons. I want to keep adding new content, like new weapons, rules and maps. First, though, I want to do some bugfix-and-optimisation updates that make the game run better, because the Gutrot map tends to run very badly for some people by the end of the game with all the corpses and lasers everywhere.

Megadyptes posted:

This is awesome. The results of the roll could stay up a bit longer, though, half the time I'm too busy dodging/killing to read all the results before they disappear.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a bit of a fast reader so I can see how this is a problem.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'd absolutely LOVE to see Reelism expanded and further built on. It's a fantastic 'five minutes of Doom' concept that has a shitton of potential.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
In case you haven't seen the thread for it, a new version of Sven Co-op was just released.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Why isn't Red Faction 1 on OP? :colbert:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Imapanda posted:

Cause it sucked! (just kidding)

Except the cool parts about being on Mars and blowing everything up. I had hours and hours of fun in multiplayer creating caverns to hide in.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Imapanda posted:

Red Faction was released in 2001, if we had it on the OP, Deus Ex (2000) and Soldier of Fortune (2000) should be there too. Tribes 2 has a line on the OP because its free like with its predecessor.

I loved Red Faction 1, and wouldnt mind it being in here too. Its also on sale 50% off on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20530/.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Merry Christmas and a Brutal Doom .14 to you all http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And here's that changelog!

quote:

- New fatality for Pain Elemental. Remade Mancubus fatality.
- Added a new animation for the Mancubus's death when killed by Minigun/Chainsaw made by Eriance.
- Awesome new realistic and nasty wall decals
- Better water effects
- Reverted the rifle sprite back to the original one, but with a few changes. Added new sound effect for it.
- Increased kick damage and range
- Reduced the damage of all Imp's attacks
- Increased damage in Demon's attacks
- Fixed a bug that could make blood decals spawn behind monsters near other monster that was shoot/gibbed.
- Added more counter-measures to prevent 3rd person camera of not initializing during a fatality.
- Fixed weird AI with Wolfenstein SS
- Increased the damage of Flame Cannon and Revenant Rockets.
- New "soft" death for Archvile when killed by low damage weapons
- Fixed a bug causing archviles deal no more than 15 damage per attack
- Better effects for the captured lost soul when you throw them
- New death animation for the player: Arm disembowment
- Fixed a bug that could allow the SSG alt fire to be used even if the player had no ammo.
- Fixed a bug that could allow the player to harvest a flame cannon from the same Mancubus body infinite times
- New sprites for Rockets
- Fixed a bug that could make barrels disapear if a player uses the alt fire button to drop them in the ground
- Chaingunguys were not droping their Miniguns when killed by a point-blank SSG Shot, or Smash Mode punch. Fixed.
- Trying to use an imp brutalized by minigun fire as meatshield would give the player a Sergeant meat shield. Fixed.
- Fixed a bug making the player punch right after selecting the fists with berserk in Smash mode.
- Improved shotgun sprites.
- Changed Plasma Gun and Shotgun sound effects.
- Fixed MP40's infinite reloading bug.
- Flame Cannon can now be harvested from a Mancubus that was killed by a Headshot, or Chainsaw or Minigun. Thanks to Devastator for creating to sprite.
- MUCH improved the blood pool sprites for Software Rendering users.
- Improved deaths when killing enemies with SSG/Smash Mode Berserk Punches
- Improved stealth kill detections. Now if you punch a non-alerted zombie or imp from behind, it will always perform the stealth kill.
I've been really enjoying going through Doom the Way Id Did with this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

And here's that changelog!

My only complain wich is a minor one, is the voice for "gently caress yourself" feels wrong since he changed it after v0.11. Other than that he keeps making this mod better. Oh and the shotgun lacks the front tritium sight wich i dont get why, but the new sound and sprite when its on the ground are both great.

New trailer is freaking awesome with Serious Sam 3 theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samQ-Xxc1M4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
While all the cool kids are posting updates, Reelism v1.1 is ready to roll! Here be the fixes...

Corpse Cleanup System: Basically, if there's no way for you to possibly see a dead body, it will be removed from the map. This should help avoid having hundreds of corpses lowering framerate on lower-end systems.

Optimised Laser Effect: Lasers don't have as many trails left behind them anymore.

Flamethrower Improvements: On one hand, the flames move much faster and as such have a better range. On the other, they do less damage individually. Thanks to Snarboo and Cream-of-Plenty for the suggestion!

Skulltag Tags: Should Skulltag ever actually be able to play this pile of crap, weapons will display nice names when you select them instead of crap like "NewFlamethrower".

Spawners and Crates are Randomer: Item and weapon spawners and crate contents were unneccesarily weighted towards specfic results. Fixed! Thanks to InsanityBringer for the help.

Code Janitoring: Some fixes and improvements and reworking here and there. Nothing visible to the player for the most part, but they'll make my life easier.

Fire Death Effect: Oh, the hacks, the hacks... the player now has the same fancy fire death effect as the enemies. Perhaps a little buggy right now, but I'll see what I can't do...
Cheers to Edward850 and Minigunner for the suggestion!

Dynamic Lighting: GLDEFS are in! Now things actually cast light like they're supposed to! Well, more or less, anyway.

In-Game Changelog: Because lots of people are too lazy to read this post.

A Very Minor Fix To Gutrot Island: Just a small visual quirk from a last minute change. Nothing big.

...And A Little Something Extra: You'll know it when it kills you.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 26, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:pcgaming::siren: Old School FPS 75% off! :siren::pcgaming:

Red Faction 1 (it works in win7 64bit without problems) is currently 75% off on steam, its 1.24€ for Euro users and should be 2.50$ for US goons.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20530

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Kins posted:

I finished that a few days ago, so much fun

I think it's my favorite wad pack I've played so far actually.

All the Doom 2 wads I've tried have had really, really irritating monster placement for Brutal Doom, and have generally been unfun. A 'normal' series of levels feels just about right difficulty wise with Brutal Doom, without every switch/door/key opening onto an ambush of shotgunners, imps, or revenants at point blank with chaingunners up on a wall somewhere.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sorry I didn't do that AVP thing. I didn't see any interest so I figured gently caress it. Kinda yearning to host some skulltag again soon. Maybe some heretic wads, and some more brutal doom with more obscure maps people haven't played yet.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

While all the cool kids are posting updates, Reelism v1.1 is ready to roll! Here be the fixes...

The changes you have made to the flamethrower are sublime and I definitely find myself using it a lot more now. While I'm thinking about it, I've got some free time and was wondering if you'd be interested in me putting together a map and tossing it your way.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Sorry I didn't do that AVP thing. I didn't see any interest so I figured gently caress it. Kinda yearning to host some skulltag again soon. Maybe some heretic wads, and some more brutal doom with more obscure maps people haven't played yet.
Brutal Doom with Deus Vult in multiplayer would be amazing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I get the following error when I try to play Reelism with GZDoom:

quote:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "reelism_11.pk7:splot.wad:DA-BOTS" line 144:
Invalid state parameter a_setscale

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This is amazing. I was getting ready to leave because I sucked at all of the previous rounds, but I decided to stick for a last round.

First round:
-Something
-Tank!
-Bronies

Second Round:
-Something
-Flame weapons
-Bronies

Then I flametrowed myself, but it was awesome.

My complaints:
- I felt I wasn't getting enough weapons, but this may just be the RNG.

- The eyeballs enemies are too tough, but that may be because I was using lousy wepaons

- gently caress those jetpack dudes.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Here's something interesting recently released that's related to early FPS games:

Way back in 1996ish, Micropose was working on a FPS based on X-COM called X-COM: Alliance. It got cancelled in 2002, but someone managed to get their hands on a beta dated around 1998 that uses Unreal Engine 1 and put it up for download:

http://www.multiupload.com/9IS9KY2NFY

I figure this would be interesting for anyone interested in cancelled early 3D FPSes or remember Alliance back in the day.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I get the following error when I try to play Reelism with GZDoom:

You probably need to download the newest GZDoom.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Some rather pretty things are happening to Marathon, texture-wise.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Some rather pretty things are happening to Marathon, texture-wise.

Is that parallax mapping?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Here's something interesting recently released that's related to early FPS games:

Way back in 1996ish, Micropose was working on a FPS based on X-COM called X-COM: Alliance. It got cancelled in 2002, but someone managed to get their hands on a beta dated around 1998 that uses Unreal Engine 1 and put it up for download:

http://www.multiupload.com/9IS9KY2NFY

I figure this would be interesting for anyone interested in cancelled early 3D FPSes or remember Alliance back in the day.

You son of a bitch

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

We should do multi on Red Faction 1 at some point. That would be awesome.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zeether posted:

Only if you like getting wallhacked by the railgun over and over.

I got really good at RF1 multiplayer before hackers ruined it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Zeether posted:

One of the greatest nights I've ever had playing an FPS was playing RF1 for hours. My favorite strategy in the world was to make new paths to the flag in CTF, like popping out of a hole next to the flag to grab it and having a straight shot back to the base. :v:

It was always great to see what happened to a map by the end of it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So this is pretty special.

(animated) :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

So this is pretty special.

(animated) :japan:

Bwahaha what the gently caress is going on. :v: