Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I doubt it'll apply. Your best bet to find out any details about that is to contact AppleCare and find out what they see on their system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

kode54 posted:

Dumb to burn movies to optical disks. Not so dumb to buy pressed media from the store. Or am I just old fashioned?

I'm with you. At least Blu-Ray discs have the best available picture and audio quality.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cyne posted:

Well that makes sense. :v:

I guess I just wanted to see if it could possibly be a system issue or something before making the trek to the nearest Apple store (actually not that bad, there's one about an hour in either direction, I just don't get out to those parts often).
It's generally acknowledged that the slot-loading optical drives suck rear end. Dunno if it applies to you, but my optical drive has acted like poo poo a couple of times (slow disc reads, slow burn speeds or no burning at all.) What I ended up doing was removed the optical drive, opened it up, and cleaned out the dust and cleaned the lens. After putting it all back together, the optical drive seemed to work as normal.

...but since yours is still in warranty, take it to an Apple store.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I need an app to move my mouse point around the screen, and click on predefined X/Y coordinates. I know Automator can do this, but I've never made an Automator script. Can Automator repeat such an action on a loop, infinitely? Is there a maximum number of repetitions?

Is there a better program you know of for this purpose?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, Diablo 2 won't run on lion. They really need to put a loving sticker on the box so I don't end up spending $30 and popping the box open. Pretty frustrating.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I need an app to move my mouse point around the screen, and click on predefined X/Y coordinates. I know Automator can do this, but I've never made an Automator script. Can Automator repeat such an action on a loop, infinitely? Is there a maximum number of repetitions?

Is there a better program you know of for this purpose?

Controller Mate is the gold standard for programming stuff like this in a very easy way although it costs $30 or something.

Automator is full AppleScript so could do it for free.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

NESguerilla posted:

Wow, Diablo 2 won't run on lion. They really need to put a loving sticker on the box so I don't end up spending $30 and popping the box open. Pretty frustrating.

Expecting publishers to actually pay attention to the Mac seems to be beyond the pale.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Expecting publishers to actually pay attention to the Mac seems to be beyond the pale.
You realize this game was released ELEVEN years ago right?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

NESguerilla posted:

Wow, Diablo 2 won't run on lion.

What did the requirements on the box say?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Legdiian posted:

And yet, they're still selling it. Which means they need to properly support it.

Your comment is a little ironic considering just how long Blizzard kept issuing patches and updates for Starcraft.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

NESguerilla posted:

It must have run under Rosetta in earlier versions of OS X. Sucks, but it's kind of miraculous that a nearly 12 year-old Mac game would work on recent versions of OS X at all.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Terpfen posted:

And yet, they're still selling it. Which means they need to properly support it.

Your comment is a little ironic considering just how long Blizzard kept issuing patches and updates for Starcraft.
I don't think you are grasping the definition of "ironic". If you want to play games more than a decade old, pony up for some VM software.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Really I think that Apple should bear most of the blame here. It would be nice for Blizzard to release a fully Intel version of D2 and I'm sure they would if they thought it would be worth it but removing Rosetta from Lion was definitely a dick move by Apple.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Legdiian posted:

I don't think you are grasping the definition of "ironic". If you want to play games more than a decade old, pony up for some VM software.

Irony is posting this in the Apple thread, where tales of quality customer service abound.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

What did the requirements on the box say?

OSX 10.3 and higher.

Legdiian posted:

They sell boxed copies in retail stores that still cost $30 and state my that mac should run it, but they are off the hook in supporting it because it is old?

Even if they want to stop supporting it they need to let people loving know on the box that their computer isn't going to run it. That's just bad business.

Hopefully the store let's me return it or I am going to make a stink.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 27, 2011

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it needs to not be featured on sale if it doesn't work on the most recent version of OS X. Still, I think that it had a good run, and I don't resent them for not supporting it after all these years, especially with the new Diablo on the way, as long as they make it dead clear about compatibility and aren't putting it on sale front and center. It isn't that hard to run the game in a VM or Boot Camp, though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

OSX 10.3 and higher.

They sell boxed copies in retail stores that still cost $30 and state my that mac should run it, but they are off the hook in supporting it because it is old?

Even if they want to stop supporting it they need to let people loving know on the box that their computer isn't going to run it. That's just bad business.

Hopefully the store let's me return it or I am going to make a stink.

Does the box say it requires a G series processor?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I know I could work around it but it's not worth the effort. My beef isn't even that Lion doesn't support it. It's the fact that the box is misleading. I think it's a big enough deal that they could at least throw a sticker on it saying "doesn't run on OSX lion."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Legdiian posted:

Does the box say it requires a G series processor?

nope.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I bet it does.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wait yeah it does. Why would it run on older versions of osx then?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A little rosetta make your muffin betta and your PPC apps run on Intel processors.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Oh wait yeah it does. Why would it run on older versions of osx then?

Up until Lion, OS X was supporting older PPC software with Rosetta. They announced to developers that they would be moving to Intel and dropping support for PPC in 2005. They have supported PPC for the last 6 years but with the release of Lion, dropped it completely. I know it sucks, but that's the way it goes :( Blizzard has to either re-code for the Intel hardware or the customer has to figure out a way to make it work. Either by using the previous version of OS X that still has Rosetta support, or by running a compatible OS via a VM.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as that makes sense to me now that you explain it, I still feel like it's something worth letting consumers know. As someone who rarely plays games on PC I wouldn't have known that in a million years and it's issues like that make me not want to touch PC games with a ten foot pole.

It's a bummer cause I really wanted some nostalgic fun but I am sure Kmart will take it back if I whine hard enough.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 18, 2019

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

NESguerilla posted:

As much as that makes sense to me now that you explain it, I still feel like it's something worth letting consumers know. As someone who rarely plays games on PC I wouldn't have known that in a million years and it's issues like that make me not want to touch PC games with a ten foot pole.

You are absolutely correct, but again, publishers simply don't care about the Mac. They've had at least a year (since the Lion developer betas and the revelation that Rosetta would no longer be installed by default) to do something about this, but nope. They got your money and that's all they care about.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

NESguerilla posted:

It's a bummer cause I really wanted some nostalgic fun but I am sure Kmart will take it back if I whine hard enough.

The shocking thing to me is that K-Mart is still selling boxed copies of Diablo 2!

If you want to dabble in some games on your Mac, it's worth having a Bootcamp partition - even if you're not a terribly serious gamer, the bottom line is that the vast majority of games are Windows only. Heck, I'm writing this post from my gaming Bootcamp partition!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The shocking thing to me is that K-Mart is still selling boxed copies of Diablo 2!

Oh, that's not the only thing (not Kmart but I've seen this in retail stores recently as well).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

Serious dick move to actually phase out old obsolete technologies. If I had my way Lion would be a super over bloated mess of 68k, ppc, and intel code so I could run Mac Paint, AppleWorks, Cyberdog, and Mario Teaches Typing.

I agree within reason. Apple is a bit too cavalier with these breaking changes.
The fact that you can extract and install Rosetta from the 10.6 DVDs proves there's no technical reason they couldn't have allowed it.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I have the newest generation Mac Mini with a USB DVD burner and only became aware recently that Apple didn't bundle iDVD with iLife '11, unless you order a physical copy of it from them. I assume they still provide it with new machines that have a built-in burner. Is there a software alternative to iDVD that is:

1) Free
2) Uncrippled while remaining free

I searched and couldn't find any thing that didn't put limitations on burner capabilities if you didn't cough up money for it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm on 10.7.1 and I've just changed from using a Logitech MX Revolution to a G700. The sensitivity is too high, despite being all the way down in system preferences. Does anyone know of a way to get the sensitivity even lower? My cursor still moves too fast.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

USB Overdrive will probably do it, but it's nagware (once per login.)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

Just be glad you're only out $30 and a computer game, unlike the many people who (for some reason) absolutely rely on QuickBooks to run their small business and found out the hard way that Intuit haven't significantly updated their software in about 6 years.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I agree within reason. Apple is a bit too cavalier with these breaking changes.
The fact that you can extract and install Rosetta from the 10.6 DVDs proves there's no technical reason they couldn't have allowed it.

Is five years of Rosetta really that 'cavalier?'

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

~Coxy posted:

USB Overdrive will probably do it, but it's nagware (once per login.)

I didn't realise, but Steermouse (which I already use) does this... There was me thinking it only did button remapping.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
One of my friends thinks that he has a trojan on his macbook -- it's been running pretty slowly recently and he hasn't been able to update his Mcafee (had to install it to get on a college network). Recently he woke up to find out that his homepage had been changed to usa.com. Google isn't helping, and he says that he hasn't been on anything dodgy site or installed anything. I checked for the fake Flash installer and it's not there, so we're sort of at a loss.

Does anyone know any free virus scanner or something we can do to fix this? If this is more for the tech support forum I can move it there, it just seems like it's more about windows viruses than about mac ones.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Are there any good .chm to .pdf/.mobi/.epub or whatever converters? I've tried Calibre with no luck.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Just bought Pixelmator. I could get by with Paint.NET just fine, but there is nothing like that, so Pixelmator seems like a nice option. Not very expensive, seemed easy enough to use.

I use inkscape a bunch at work, I just wish there were a native OSX version, even if it cost $10 or so. Since most of the time I'm just adding text labels to things, I can probably use Pixelmator for a lot of what I use inkscape for.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

computer parts posted:

Oh, that's not the only thing (not Kmart but I've seen this in retail stores recently as well).

There were plenty of copies of that sitting right next to it actually. I think it's more shocking that Kmart still exists in the first place though. There is even a Little Caesars pizza in the one I went to. It's like a museum of what the world was like 12 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to switch out my 2011 macbook pro's hard drive to a larger model. Can I just pop my current drive into a usb enclosure and install from that? Lion didn't come with discs so I'm not sure how this works.