Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's good advice. I can probably make a horizontal bar to cover the back posts. The thing seemed like it could use a bit more stability anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
No matter where I go on the internet, even hardcore PC gaming forums, I see people asking what $150-$200 headphones to get so this might help some of you people.

Replaced my Sennheiser HD25-1 (right) with minty fresh barely used Beyerdynamic DT250s (left). They cover the bigass ears on my bigass head, the pads are soft though they do press on and cause a gnats dick worth of pain on parts of the ear but what gives. You do however need to wear them right, or bass will muddle and take over the sound. With my HD25s I had bass at 1 o'clock and treble at 12 but it still wasn't that hot on the bass side of things, this time it's bass 10 and treble at 1. (Edirol monitor front panel settings, 80hm version of the DT250s, headphone amp will be purchased)

Took two songs through them before I decided they could be called "musical headphones", because it's really like a pair of monitors for your ears, rather than the sharp clean scientific headphones the Sennheiser HD25-1s were. Takes a while to get used to them but I know that I hear what others will when I jam, which is something that many home producers miss out on. (told a guy his mix sounded broken, described hf buzz artefacts, he heard nothing - he was using his macbook speakers exclusively)

Keeping my HD25s for when I need to do some hardcore audio engineering work, using these DT250s for everything else, and boy is it nice to listen to healthy headphone drivers that aren't super worn out.

(e: Battlefield 3 in War Tapes mode sounds even better now, more environmental games like Half-Life and its fine ambience is a beauty, not too much bass or too little, more balanced than the music I'm listening too (shame, shame). Blu-Ray films sound amazing, if they were miced and mastered properly. Different sound from the HD25s, but a more realistic genuine.. "quality reference"? Haven't made the drivers give off angry mis-sounds yet, doubt I ever will, I want to try this with low basses now)

Beyerdynamic DT250 TLDR quick review;
These headphones clearly show me the differences between one mix and another, and how essential it is for both home producers and studios to use proper reference monitoring. This is something my Sennheiser HD25-1s did not handle well, because everything sounded good through them. If I hear too much bass now, the song has too much bass in it. If I heard too much bass then, that was because my amp had BassBoost activated.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 19, 2011

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

Noise Machine posted:

You know that scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he bike is stolen and everyone around him is riding really cool bikes?

That's how I feel about 4001/4003 basses and me right now. : ( Cept I never had a Ric bass and I certainly hope if I did it would never be stolen.

I would peg a T-40 as more like a Gibson Ripper. I have both, and they are similar in tonal options, but not really in neck feel.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I want one of those so badly. Someday...

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
My awesome wife just surprised me with an early xmas present - the acoustic I've wanted for the last 10 or so years:

(excuse the lovely cell phone pic)

It's a Taylor 314CE Grand Auditorium. It plays like a loving dream, and the sound is super crisp and articulate.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Your wife kicks rear end, and so does that guitar. Man oh man would I love a Taylor...

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

C.C.C.P. posted:

Duo-Sonic supremacy

I have a Squire Strat, an Epiphone Lespaul studio gothic, a tacoma acoustic, and an Ibanez RG350DX which is amazing, but something always seems to bring me back to my Fender Duo Sonic from Mexico, it just feels right man. Though it needs some serious repairs, new pickups, cleaned up or replaced wiring, definitely needs a new pick guard, was thinking of cutting the piece that hangs down where the volume knobs and plug are and getting it in chrome, kind of giving it a Jazz Bass look.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 20, 2011

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Finally someone bought my Vetta II so I could get this lovely combination for Christmas:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Version 2.something unexpanded Nord Lead Rack 1.

Time to find out why some people swear by them, and do the world a great favour by figuring out how to modify Nord Rack 2X rack mounts so they can be retrofit onto these.

The colour scheme is glorious when seen with the naked eye. Wish I had one of those Pantone mobile colour scanners.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

DiscoDickTease posted:

Finally someone bought my Vetta II so I could get this lovely combination for Christmas:

Is that a Thunder 30? I've been wanting one for a while now, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Not the best equipment in the world but so far I'm having a blast with it :D

sorry for terrible iTouch Photo.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Well, I think I officially have a Rickenbacker addiction. I've also learned a very valuable lesson about not assuming what you perceive as lowball bids on ebay won't actually win an item. This became especially clear when trying to explain said purchases to my wife. Luckily all is well on that front, so I have two new beauties...

Here's a 620 Mapleglo:

And then this Rickenbacker journey into solid body bolt-on-neck guitars. In silver of all colors:

And here they are on the wall with their bretheren:

Needless to say, I am not allowed to bring another guitar into the apartment for quite a while.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I loving hate you.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Not the best equipment in the world but so far I'm having a blast with it :D

sorry for terrible iTouch Photo.

Haha, I started out with exactly the same (plus a nanoKontrol). I still use the Q25, it's pretty good for the price. The LPD8 has fallen out of use though. The knobs are ok, but I hated the feel of the pads.

My next toy (and a little christmas present to myself :)) will be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNXOI1AIjKo

I love KORGs quirky little synths, this should play well with my Monotribe and KP3.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 21, 2011

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

I loving hate you.

Completely understandable. I hate myself sometimes too, but then I grab a guitar off the wall and all is well.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

I got me a new cabinet from Avatar Speakers for Christmas. My wife, friends, and band love me very much I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Das Butterbrot posted:

Haha, I started out with exactly the same (plus a nanoKontrol). I still use the Q25, it's pretty good for the price. The LPD8 has fallen out of use though. The knobs are ok, but I hated the feel of the pads.

My next toy (and a little christmas present to myself :)) will be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNXOI1AIjKo

I love KORGs quirky little synths, this should play well with my Monotribe and KP3.

Yeah the pads do kind of suck, they feel like tiny version of the rockband drum kit pads, the knobs are more or less what I bought it for and they are nice.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Slow Graffiti posted:

Completely understandable. I hate myself sometimes too, but then I grab a guitar off the wall and all is well.

Do you have a favorite?

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Do you have a favorite?

Honestly I don't, though that may change over time. I have gotten them all so recently, and have also been in the midst of finishing up a big apartment renovation, that I haven't had the time to find all the nuances of the various models.

At this point I have to say that the 620 and 250 have the best action. The 360 just sounds amazing plugged in or not, and the 610/12 not only has great action, but also the amazing 12-string Ric sound.

Luckily my office is closed between Christmas and New Year's (and my wife's is not) so I plan on many hours of indepth analysis of all four.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Been waiting for this guitar to come out ever since it was announced back in August or September. I was gonna wait until after the holidays when I had a little more cash and some time to sell my Hellraiser, but they had 10% off and free shipping until the the 31st on the Sam Ash site, so out came the credit card and now she's in the mail.

http://www.samash.com/p/ESP_LTD%20EC407%207%20String%20Electric%20Guitar_1721145

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
^^^I would never, ever play a 7 string as that instruments reputation has been completely destroyed by the godawful nu metal movement, but it's nice to see one that isn't completely terrible and fruity looking. That thing looks pretty tasteful, but I'm a big fan of LP-style bodies.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pretty happy with my presents this morning.

Variety pack of V-Picks, a real Levy's strap, and a Behringer B205D!

Jonathan_H
Jan 20, 2006
Got a reamping box for Christmas today!

Pretty happy, been after something like this for a while. Can't wait to start messing around with sounds by throwing things like drums, vocals and stuff through guitar amps and pedals! That and being able to use it to send whitenoise to a guitar amp to help find the sweet spot is going to be pretty awesome!

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For Christmas, I got a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups for my Jaguar bass. Good lord, these things are super loud. The tone is pretty dense sounding, too, which I like. Thinking of gutting the bass and turning it into a "2 vol/2 tone" control set instead of the stock "volume/volume/boost/master tone" set since jesus CHRIST does this thing not need an active boost with these pickups.

I guess if anyone wants my old Duncan Designed bass pickups for some ungodly reason, holla atcha girl or whatever.

I also got a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails bridge pickup for my Mustang to replace the doodoo-rear end pickup my bandmate had "made" for it. I got a new tremolo unit for it a while back, too (which I can't remember if I posted about). After several hours of fiddling with it while muttering various profanities under my breath, I have finally set the tremolo up so that it stays in tune when used. Previously, if I used the tremolo at all, it knocked all my strings out of tune by 1/2-1 step randomly on each string.

It was a nightmare and I can only assume Leo Fender was hopped up on quaaludes or something when he designed this nightmare of a system. For those familiar with the Fender Dynamic Vibrato system, I ended up having to move the springs to the furthest notch on the poles and then lower the tail piece such that the strings barely even fit underneath when wrapped around. This gave it enough tension that it now returns to its previous position and the strings stay in tune. Of course, now the angle of the tail piece is such that the tremolo arm sticks out at an odd angle, which means I'll have to bend it so that it's at a proper height so I can use it!

PHEW! (half of bullshit I went through with it is probably because I have it strung with 54's to offset the shorter scale)

I also got a bunch of money which I plan to partially blow on a Vista series Jagmaster I found as well as a bunch of upgrades/customizations for it such as new pickguard/metal control plate combo, new pickups (humbucker sized P90's of course), a new trem/block, etc.

I was honestly going to spend my money on other gear, but it's not every day that a Vista series guitar goes for something I'd be comfortable paying for it. They're widely regarded as great guitars but like heck I'm going to drop upwards of 500 bucks on one on eBay.

I am getting mine from a dude selling it to me for 200 shipped fyi. Not at all bad!

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

forever whatever posted:

^^^I would never, ever play a 7 string as that instruments reputation has been completely destroyed by the godawful nu metal movement

You're dumb.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
No I'm not. It just so happens that every single 7 string player I know in the area is a lovely metal guitarist who think that Munky from Korn is the best guitarist since Hendrix...The seven string was conceived for technical players, not lovely nu metal guitarists, but they made the instrument as popular as it is to day. And if you are one of those guitarists, than you are dumb. Get a baritone guitar instead if you want more low end for your Coal Chamber cover band.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

forever whatever posted:

No I'm not. It just so happens that every single 7 string player I know in the area is a lovely metal guitarist who think that Munky from Korn is the best guitarist since Hendrix...The seven string was conceived for technical players, not lovely nu metal guitarists, but they made the instrument as popular as it is to day. And if you are one of those guitarists, than you are dumb. Get a baritone guitar instead if you want more low end for your Coal Chamber cover band.

Sometimes I like to use all 7 strings when I play my 7 string, but I don't play in a Coal Chamber cover band. Am I doing this wrong?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

forever whatever posted:

I think his point was that your reasoning for never playing a seven string was dumb, not that you were wrong about the average seven string player.

quote:

I also got a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails bridge pickup for my Mustang to replace the doodoo-rear end pickup my bandmate had "made" for it.

In case you haven't tried, the Hot Rails splits really well. It's hot enough that you can use it split without getting a weak sound, giving you another usable sound or two from the guitar.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Yarbald posted:

Sometimes I like to use all 7 strings when I play my 7 string, but I don't play in a Coal Chamber cover band. Am I doing this wrong?

Nah if you play jazz or shred hard that's cool. I do neither; My problem with nu-metal stems from playing in hardcore bands in high school...I thought that kids who were inspired to pick up 7 strings because of nu metal were horrible then, and I still do.

Incidentally, this is also why I never got into Line 6 processors, or processors in general...same kinds of kids were the first I knew to get into them, and it seems that it's still the case. Now, I'm perfectly aware that processors are great for a variety of things, but my tastes have veered me more in the direction of pedals as opposed to processors...which brings me to what I just got from my old man for Christmas:

A Pedaltrain 3 with a flight case. It's huge, and more pedal space than I need really but at least I finally have a secure place to put all my present and future effects. It's gonna be an awesome time suck for the next few weeks creating the right chain.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You are aware that a ton of people who are not nu-metal bands or Jazz or shred bands or whatever use sevens now right? Is nu-metal even a thing outside of Korn still?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Oh, I'm sure. All kinds of people play all kinds of instruments, I'm quite aware of that.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Luff posted:

I think his point was that your reasoning for never playing a seven string was dumb, not that you were wrong about the average seven string player.

In case you haven't tried, the Hot Rails splits really well. It's hot enough that you can use it split without getting a weak sound, giving you another usable sound or two from the guitar.

Haha, I accidentally did that while wiring it initially. I failed to ground the second ground wire, which perma-tapped the pickup into single coil mode. I almost considered leaving it like that, since as you mentioned it does sound really good, but then figured that it was kind of pointless for me to buy a single coil sized humbucker and not use it as such.

One of these days I might get around to installing a push/pull volume pot for just that purpose, though.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Pretentious Turtle posted:

You are aware that a ton of people who are not nu-metal bands or Jazz or shred bands or whatever use sevens now right? Is nu-metal even a thing outside of Korn still?

Are there many 7 strings that aren't pointy metal guitars?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

the wizards beard posted:

Yeah. What's your threshold for pointy, though? Is an Ibanez RG too pointy? If that's the case, there's actually been a few Squier and I think one Fender 7. There's a ton more than that, but they aren't all BC Rich style.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Goddamn do I ever hate pointy metal guitars; I even hate the look of Stratocasters: Too loving Pointy. Get that pointy poo poo OUTTA HERE already

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

forever whatever posted:

You're ridiculous for putting an outdated reputation ahead of the actual merits of the thing, and you're still dumb for not appreciating that some people want to keep the high end and get the extra low end. And it's 'then', not 'than'.

If you want non-pointy seven-strings, you can get a Schecter Blackjack/Hellraiser, Ibanez S series, Carvin DC7**, or an LTD Eclipse. Agile makes a seven-string Telecaster, too.

Man, I don't even own a seven-string guitar.

Just got my FMR Really Nice Preamp, and it is quite radical.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Duck and burger posted:

If you want non-pointy seven-strings, you can get a Schecter Blackjack/Hellraiser, Ibanez S series, Carvin DC7**, or an LTD Eclipse. Agile makes a seven-string Telecaster, too.

The first 4 are really ugly and pointy, the LTD has an ugly-rear end (pointy) horn for an LP clone, and I'm just betting that the Agile Tele 7-string is black and has EMG pickups or some stupid "shred" bullshit like that. I'd gladly be corrected if wrong, but it appears to me that 7-string builders already know their market, and it ain't somebody pickin' to "Stompin' at the Savoy".

edit: Rondo used to sell an Agile "Texan" which is admittedly sweet as hell, so in that I stand corrected. (Undoubtedly with an ugly-rear end pointy headstock however)

That's much more the exception than the rule when it comes to more than 6 strings on an electric guitar, however.

Classical guitars, on the other hand... I've seen a 10-string variety played by a kick-rear end Spaniard. They're mostly novelties even then however.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The gently caress do you think "not-pointy" is if a DC7 is pointy?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sentinelvwh.html
The texan has the same headstock as the sentinel, by the way.

There's also this but oh no it has an extended scale length this is not acceptable: http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000727EBtribalred.HTML

muike fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 27, 2011

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I have a Squier Stagemaster that basically looks like a reverse-headstock HH strat. I wouldn't say it's very "metal" looking at all, since Strats (except in a very few examples) aren't really known as "metal" guitars.

Adding to that, it also has a purple sparkley finish with the headstock also being finished. And when I say purple and sparkley, I mean PURPLE AND SPARKLEY. The thing looks like Barney the Dinosaur got glitterbombed for being a homophobe. It's basically the girliest thing I own, and I own tampons and ovaries.

That said, it absolutely *was* made for CHUNKITY-CHUNK-CHUNK nu-metal bullshit, since that's basically what Squier's Stagemaster line was geared to. On the other hand, it doesn't have super high output EMG-esque pickups or a wafer thin shredtastic neck, either, so I dunno what they were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Is nu-metal even a thing outside of Korn still?

Heck, even Korn is basically some weird alt. metal dubstep crossover band now.

I think the real question is "were 7 strings even that big of a deal outside of Korn"? I was like 14-20 during the whole nu metal craze of 98-2004, so I was obviously aware of music (and even playing guitar for most of those years) and the only 7 string players I remember are Korn and like Devin from SYL (who is both not nu metal and AWESOME). I thought most nu metal bands played normal guitars in like drop C# or just used baritones (I know the dude from Staind has a signature baritone out) or something.