Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
So wait, what time is it again? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think that's military time /24hr so subtract 12 from it and you get 2:20

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

tater_salad posted:

I think that's military time /24hr so subtract 12 from it and you get 2:20

I forgot to mention that this car's engine was actually running when this photo was taken. :downsrim:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The clock thus appears to be the least of your problems. I would've guessed the key was in the RUN position but not yet started...

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I honestly hope it's not as bad as it looks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

I forgot to mention that this car's engine was actually running when this photo was taken. :downsrim:

In that case, it's probably telling you it's time for a new motor.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
14d0 smoke weed e'eryday

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
looks like a stuck segment driver in the clock module to me. $20 at the junkyard should set it right.

Never seen one fail though, those fuckers are usually pretty resilient.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

PainterofCrap posted:

My brother-in-law test-drove a Viper at some dealership in Arizona a few years back (when Vipers were new). Scared the crap out of him.

I'm pretty sure the Viper was designed to be an exercise in darwins law. Those with too much money and not enough sense will be removed from the gene pool. The ones that can harness the beast ascend to a new level of consciousness. Your brother in law wasn't afraid to stare into the lions eyes, and he got to taste the candy.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Does it count if the major mechanical failure is due to an elderly woman falling asleep at the wheel? My Mustang didn't seem to like being hit at 50mph while stopped on the NJ Turnpike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVHpD8b3R38

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Not being one for understanding the mechanics of car crashes, how did you pick up the damage down the side of the car too? Ride along the guardrail or did she sideswipe you on the way past? (since there's corner impact on both cars the latter is more likely?)

edit: v Thanks. Seems to be worth not using embedded videos from time to time.

BlackShadow fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 28, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BlackShadow posted:

Not being one for understanding the mechanics of car crashes, how did you pick up the damage down the side of the car too? Ride along the guardrail or did she sideswipe you on the way past? (since there's corner impact on both cars the latter is more likely?)

YouTube Description posted:

Elderly female driver falls asleep at the wheel in a minivan, rear-ends Mustang, while splitting a lane due to loss of vehicle control, at approximately 40-50MPH.

Initial impact at the rear corner, turned into a sideswipe as she went by, I'm guessing. It would have been far worse had it been a complete rear-end collision instead of a corner + sideswipe.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Nathan Explosion posted:

Your brother in law wasn't afraid to stare into the lions eyes, and he got to taste the candy.
So what's the surprise?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Stepping away from cars for a moment and looking at a larger scale failure:

The Podolsky Bridge under construction in Russia is a massive bridge over a heavily trafficked river. Being Russian, the machines used to build it are equally huge.

Like this crane barge.

But not everything went smoothly.

For a really good idea of the sheer scale of the barge, look on the side of the river at the two people standing there.

And fixing it isn't just a matter of flipping the barge back over somehow. Look at what happened to the massive girder that makes the backbone of the crane:

WHAT A DAY
Dec 25, 2011

ALL DAY
I cant wait to see the crane they build to pick up that crane :allears:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
What's the story about that crane toppling over? Weather conditions? Operator error?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Somebody is headed to Siberia for that one

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

WHAT A DAY posted:

I cant wait to see the crane they build to pick up that crane :allears:

I assume they will just support the girders with another crane-boat, cut off the girders, put them on the boat, then flip the barge back over.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrZig posted:

I assume they will just support the girders with another crane-boat, cut off the girders, put them on the boat, then flip the barge back over.
Nonsense, this is Russia you're talking about. they did this:
(potentially NSFW ads)http://englishrussia.com/2007/12/07/from-river-to-river/

nm fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 29, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

The viaduct looks awfully thin. :ohdear:

Lamborghini in its natural habitat.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Crane stuff

Took me a while, but apparently the two red "outriggers" are detachable (makes sense), and they must've come loose while the crane itself was lifting the bridge part. And suddenly, the crane became a bit tippy...

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Throatwarbler posted:

Lamborghini in its natural habitat.

:stare: How did this happen? Judging by "natural habitat" is it common on these?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lamborghini's tend to catch fire...whenever. Kind of a thing with certain models throughout the years.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Root Bear posted:

:stare: How did this happen? Judging by "natural habitat" is it common on these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnxWDp7mFE
Fastest time of the day too.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

nm posted:

Since that thing's not counter balanced like the Falkirk Wheel, it's not relying on no work being done and small motors being used (the falkirk wheel runs off four washing machine motors); they have gently caress-off big motors lifting a huge weight and doing heaps of work.

Then part of me wondered how much its a case of the lift is there to raise barges over the dam, and the dam is there to just power the lift.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

Since that thing's not counter balanced like the Falkirk Wheel, it's not relying on no work being done and small motors being used (the falkirk wheel runs off four washing machine motors); they have gently caress-off big motors lifting a huge weight and doing heaps of work.

Then part of me wondered how much its a case of the lift is there to raise barges over the dam, and the dam is there to just power the lift.

while not perfectly efficient, i would hope it generates power as it descends.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really, really don't see why they couldn't just build locks.

It probably wouldn't be :black101: enough for them, would it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Locks are really :black101: on their own though. Maybe the location isn't suitable for a canal/lock system?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Captain Postal posted:

(the falkirk wheel runs off four washing machine motors);

I don't think it does, unless you have a massive washing machine which is powered by hydraulic motors, you can see the insides here: http://www.gentles.info/link/technicaltour/technical.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

InitialDave posted:

There's a lot of situations where locks don't make sense, for whatever reason, or you want to go faster. Generally you use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_inclined_plane

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_lift

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
When I worked on the Wilson Bridge they told me that the leaves that open are very well balanced and only require the HP of a small car to open. Not scientific at all, but thought I would throw it out there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

Took me a while, but apparently the two red "outriggers" are detachable (makes sense), and they must've come loose while the crane itself was lifting the bridge part. And suddenly, the crane became a bit tippy...

The red things are deck barges. Probably 30m long or so each. Someone didn't tighten the lines/cables that attached the barges to the crane barge enough. A little tip parted the lines, and voila... gravity took over.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

When I worked on the Wilson Bridge they told me that the leaves that open are very well balanced and only require the HP of a small car to open. Not scientific at all, but thought I would throw it out there.

Yup. The bascule bridges I've gone through in NYC are powered by 15-50hp electric motors. Nothing huge needed, just gearing and loads of grease/counterweight.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thought this page would fuel this page for a while:
http://www.professionalmariner.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=7F42EBCF70B849B68539E9573AC7EAD7

Some pics and lots of descriptions of maritime casualties.

mao the dong
Dec 25, 2011

by Fistgrrl

InitialDave posted:

That's actually the only boat lift in all of Russia.

Even Belgium has more than Russia does, and China has the biggest.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

nm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnxWDp7mFE
Fastest time of the day too.

:aaa:

Seldom has the line between dedicated and suicidal been so blurred. :downsbravo:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
He was just trying to blow out the fire.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
can't blame him, I move pretty fast when my rear end is on fire too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Recalls on cars aren't really newsworthy nowadays unless you manage to ship thousands of cars over 6 months and forget to fit brake pads.. Oh GM. :eng99:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Throatwarbler posted:

Recalls on cars aren't really newsworthy nowadays unless you manage to ship thousands of cars over 6 months and forget to fit brake pads.. Oh GM. :eng99:

That is loving impressive. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

meatpimp posted:

That is loving impressive. :bravo:

Yes it is, I forwarded this to every one i know that has a hardon for gm