Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

DrGonzo90 posted:

Is this autograph legit?

Reminds me of the best (sorta) of the 1972 "in action" cards.

Come on. The best they could do was (What looks like) a shot of Clemente taking a called strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Very hard to say. It broadly looks like a 70s style Willie signature and it's on a 72 Topps in pen, which are all good signs, but I've got some questions about the signature itself and Willie's signature has had so many different forms and looks that I don't really have a firm opinion one way or the other. What's the provenance?

I don't have any idea. My dad bought it for me, sometime in the mid-90's probably, but he doesn't remember buying it so I don't really have any info. I just dug a box of cards out of my mom's house over the holidays and was curious if this card was legit. I know you especially know a poo poo ton about autos so I figured I'd ask.

I found a few cool things in the boxes that I didn't remember I had so I'll probably post a few photos in a bit.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I have a Mays signed ball from the late 80's and it looks like this:

The W and M always looked like Ts to me.

Can't say if yours is real or not though, like someone else said, it might be from the early 70's when he had a different signature.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DrGonzo90 posted:

I don't have any idea. My dad bought it for me, sometime in the mid-90's probably, but he doesn't remember buying it so I don't really have any info. I just dug a box of cards out of my mom's house over the holidays and was curious if this card was legit. I know you especially know a poo poo ton about autos so I figured I'd ask.

It's either a period signature or a period ghostsigner. Either way, it looks better than...

Boinks posted:

What a nice Tillie Trays signature you have, I have one on the 16x20 of The Catch. (God Willie's signature got ugly once he started doing shows around the early-80s.)

Generally for buying Willie stuff you're safest with stuff that has the Say Hey hologram - that's Willie personal company - but it's all the ugly rear end modern signature.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Here's some goofy 70's Kellogs "3-D" cards

Some rookie cards that are probably worth way less than they were when I bought them.

My meager Mays collection

Griffey

Weird Pinnacle "holograms"

Chipper Jones

I know all this poo poo isn't worth much but it was fun to find after being buried in a closet for 15 years.

e: I can make these smaller if they're killing anyone's computer.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Reminds me of the best (sorta) of the 1972 "in action" cards.

Come on. The best they could do was (What looks like) a shot of Clemente taking a called strike?

I always thought that was kind of an odd card too, especially considering how good an outfielder Clemente was. Seems like they should've used a shot of him tracking down a long fly ball or something.

When I was heavily into collecting years ago I acquired a few of his cards in decent shape. Now I wish I'd had bought a lot more of them back then when they were cheaper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrGonzo90 posted:

Is this autograph legit?

I think so, looks like a vintage sig from Willie.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I don't really collect anything baseball related. I have a Marlins hat that has a bunch of current a past player signatures like Josh Johnson, Robert Andino, Juan Pierre, Miguel Olivo, Carlos Delgado and others who I can't remember. But my dad is OBSESSED with Marlins memorabilia. He buys signed bats that he can find for cheap on Ebay. He even bought a Greg Dobbs bat from when he was with the Phillies. He has a Mike Lowell bat, Jorge Cantu, Chris Coghlan and some other guy I don't know. He has a bunch of signed balls he either got signed personally or bought online. He has a signed picture of Miguel Cabrera and Dan Uggla. He has a Cody Ross bobble head. He bought a bunch of cards off Ebay that are Florida Marlins cards. He framed his Chris Coghlan card, his Greg Dobbs card, his Logan Morrison card, his Josh Johnson card and his Mike Stanton card. He also has LOTS of Jeff Conine pictures, including one of Jeff Conine signing a ball for my mom. One of the coolest things he has though is a Miguel Cabrera action figure.

Basically if any of you guys get some Marlins memorabilia signed and don't want it, I'll buy it from you to make my dad stoked :).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I don't really collect anything baseball related. I have a Marlins hat that has a bunch of current a past player signatures like Josh Johnson, Robert Andino, Juan Pierre, Miguel Olivo, Carlos Delgado and others who I can't remember. But my dad is OBSESSED with Marlins memorabilia. He buys signed bats that he can find for cheap on Ebay. He even bought a Greg Dobbs bat from when he was with the Phillies. He has a Mike Lowell bat, Jorge Cantu, Chris Coghlan and some other guy I don't know. He has a bunch of signed balls he either got signed personally or bought online. He has a signed picture of Miguel Cabrera and Dan Uggla. He has a Cody Ross bobble head. He bought a bunch of cards off Ebay that are Florida Marlins cards. He framed his Chris Coghlan card, his Greg Dobbs card, his Logan Morrison card, his Josh Johnson card and his Mike Stanton card. He also has LOTS of Jeff Conine pictures, including one of Jeff Conine signing a ball for my mom. One of the coolest things he has though is a Miguel Cabrera action figure.

Basically if any of you guys get some Marlins memorabilia signed and don't want it, I'll buy it from you to make my dad stoked :).
That's a nice collection.

I have '03 WS balls signed by Ivan Rodriguez, Josh Beckett (w/MVP inscription), and Miguel Cabrera, along with a Dan Uggla signed 2006 ASG ball w/All-Star inscription. Recently I got Logan Morrison to sign a ball and add 'LoMo' to it, which I haven't really seen before.

One thing I do have that I might sell is a D-Train Conductor's Hat that was a givaway years ago after the D-Train won the ROY. Let me know if you have any interest.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Please post a picture of that D-Train hat

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Please post a picture of that D-Train hat
When I get a hold of it I'll post a picture, but it isn't here with me.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Hey guys, look what I got to see

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

drat, why is that in a person's hand and not locked behind glass? What grade do you guys think that would get?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Private owner. It is actually locked in a case and then locked in a vice (see in background), this was the first time it's been taken out in half a decade. It's almost definitely an 8, maybe a 9. Definitely not a 10 because of off-centering.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yeah, 8.5 was my immediate thought - must have been awesome to see a 60 year old card in that condition in person. Especially not encased.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
It was an absolute pleasure. He's also got a mostly complete book of '57 and '58 Topps in 7/8/9/10 condition, a Paul Blair Gold Glove award, a 1969 Mets World Series ring and that's just baseball stuff. It's card collector's heaven.

It's all going up for sale, too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The broken bones posted:

Hey guys, look what I got to see

:swoon:

Say, your buddy doesn't want to give a goon a 95% discount on that card? :unsmith:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Say, your buddy doesn't want to give a goon a 95% discount on that card? :unsmith:

You're pretty knowledgeable on cards jefferson, what can that pull in ungraded in that condition? That is a beautiful card, off center or not.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

You're pretty knowledgeable on cards jefferson, what can that pull in ungraded in that condition? That is a beautiful card, off center or not.

Without seeing a high-res scan (plus, you know, the back) I don't feel comfortable saying what it would grade at exactly, and that matters a ton once you get into the super high end side. From what I can see the bottom right corner is eveeeeeeeer so slightly touched, and of course the centering is about 65/35. It's in the 7-9 range, but hard to say exactly where, and that's the difference between $30k and $300k.

I don't think a card of that quality would ever be sold ungraded, for whatever that says about the ridiculous way that people value cards right now.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

jeffersonlives posted:

I think PSA had it graded at 8, but PSA grades can change depending on who grades it. The collector submitted one card to PSA two separate times and had it graded 7 and 8. :-/

Thanks for all your help, btw. Huggins and Scott and Leland have offered a pretty good deal compared to Heritage, I'll let you know where all of this is going to be sold. No discount on The Mick, but is there anything from the '53, '57, or '58 Topps collection you're holding out for? PM me or reach me through twitter.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
The fiance got me a Lincecum game used auto ball and a Wilson auto ball for X-Mas. Im pretty dense I guess and kept wondering why she was asking me what DNA or PSA meant one night.
Sorry for the poo poo pic, they are up on a high shelf and I took it with my phone

Since Im posting balls, here is my stack of various minor league autos on balls. Most are Giants affiliated but a few others. Notable ones would be Brandon Belt, Crawford, Surkamp, Darren Ford and Heath Hembree.

And my first gold border, nothing special, I just ran wanted to grab one to have and it was like $8. Plus I really like this portrait.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Upper Deck, ladies and gentleman! :bravo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160711896608

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

And they wonder why that product doesn't sell for anything...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They also chopped up a bunch of these Joe DiMaggio signed Pinnacle cards from the mid-90s that they seemed to have a bunch of a couple of years back. The cut signature cards look terrible, unsurprisingly.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm really pretty happy that Upper Deck lost their MLB license, they've put out crap for too many years.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I think I mentioned this before, but I worked for UD for years and as far as memorabilia and jersey cards, you don't want to know how the sausage is made. This is in addition to people who have outstanding redemptions with UD for over half a decade. Embarrassing.

Edit: And I assume I don't need to point out the ethical legal quagmire that the company has been in for the last 3 years.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2012

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I'm really pretty happy that Upper Deck lost their MLB license, they've put out crap for too many years.

And now Topps is taking the crap throne with inconsistent (if not lovely) QC.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

That cut is absolutely brutal. Unreal.

For the first time in my life somebody got me a great baseball card gift. It wasn't a box of '88 Donruss or 92 Score. Got a '59 Topps Clemente and a '59 Topps Hank Aaron. I'll post scans later. My Topps Clemente run is going pretty well. The '55 is going to kill me at some point...but it will be mine.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
For all the lovely QC Topps had this year, I really loved 2011 Topps Chrome.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ElwoodCuse posted:

What is this and why would they do it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

What is this and why would they do it.

Half of an autographed Billy Rogell 1978 Grand Slam card. The why is harder to explain, except to say that consumers of modern card products are a lot more worried about uniqueness than whether the product is worthwhile.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blinkman987 posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but I worked for UD for years and as far as memorabilia and jersey cards, you don't want to know how the sausage is made.

Actually I really would like to know. Are you implying that stuff they use isn't genuine, or something else? I know UD has sold fake stuff in the past, like autos, but I thought it was because they had been duped themselves.

Here's a story about Topps putting out a fake Gehrig Triple Threads patch card:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/01/topps-corrects-lou-gehrig-triple-threads-error-with-a-cut-autograph/

They made good on it for sure, but it makes you wonder how much fake stuff is put out by the card companies, whether they know it or not.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Actually I really would like to know. Are you implying that stuff they use isn't genuine, or something else? I know UD has sold fake stuff in the past, like autos, but I thought it was because they had been duped themselves.

Here's a story about Topps putting out a fake Gehrig Triple Threads patch card:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/01/topps-corrects-lou-gehrig-triple-threads-error-with-a-cut-autograph/

They made good on it for sure, but it makes you wonder how much fake stuff is put out by the card companies, whether they know it or not.

From what I've seen in the industry, Panini is the best at getting legitimate/unique things for their products, Topps is mainly focused on rookies or legends, and Upper Deck is generally lazy and unimpressive.

Not saying that this is a completely accurate generalization, but for customer service, Panini is by far the best.

Also, what he may be implying is all the events used to generate tons of jerseys and autographs from rookies each year. Most of your big-name rookie cards have patches that are "event used", not game used.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but I worked for UD for years and as far as memorabilia and jersey cards, you don't want to know how the sausage is made. This is in addition to people who have outstanding redemptions with UD for over half a decade. Embarrassing.

Edit: And I assume I don't need to point out the ethical legal quagmire that the company has been in for the last 3 years.

Yeah, this would be an amazing ask/tell thread if you don't want to fill this thread up with it. If you do, post the link to the thread here and I'm sure we'd be all over it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah, this would be an amazing ask/tell thread if you don't want to fill this thread up with it. If you do, post the link to the thread here and I'm sure we'd be all over it.

I'll second this idea.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The hockey card thread thinks very little of Upper Deck these days too. I'm so glad Panini got licenses to do cards because I have really enjoyed what they've done since.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I went to Goodwill today and got what appears to be authentic, game worn (there is some dirt on the back and some pebbles in the pockets) Tom Foley Expos pants from the 80s. $5, which hell, they probably aren't even worth, but how did this make it to a Goodwill in the middle of Iowa?

Anyone know what the numbers to the right are? That last one is just a 1.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The first two numbers are internal markings (probably sizing), the last two are that it's 1988 set 1. So they're 1988 Tom Foley game worn pants, basically.

MLB sold off massive amounts of Expos game used stuff that was in storage for cheap wholesale after they bought the team. It probably came from there. They're cool and probably worth around $20-40.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Cool, thanks for the info. Fun to know when exactly they are from and that they are actually worth slightly more than I paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Bunch of recent pickups:

WillBBC3 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 16, 2012

• Locked thread