Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Wait, out of the afterlife? But wasn't the afterlife in III... uh... this makes no sense. :psyduck:

Kratos has fought his way out of the Afterlife in literally every single God of War game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Kratos has fought his way out of the Afterlife in literally every single God of War game.
Well yeah, but he wasn't dead those times, like I guess he is now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well yeah, but he wasn't dead those times, like I guess he is now.

No, he was distinctly dead at least two of those times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

No, he was distinctly dead at least two of those times.
So...his death this time means nothing more than those other times?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

So...his death this time means nothing more than those other times?

Kratos dying is just sort of this thing that happens. He gets used to it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kratos dying and fighting his way out of the afterlife isn't new, but this time the God of the Underworld is dead and the Underworld is pretty messed up.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Kratos should be reincarnated as a butterfly that has to take on the Norse Gods this time around.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Scyron posted:

Kratos should be reincarnated as a butterfly that has to take on the Norse Gods this time around.

Actually he comes back as Mistletoe, the only thing on the planet that wasn't asked to swear not to kill Baldur.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Are there any procedurally generated dinosaur hunting games for the PS3? Or any hunting games?

I just want to wander around a pretty environment and occasionally shoot things. I'm getting RDR to this end. Also considering Farcry 2.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Tactical Grace posted:

Are there any procedurally generated dinosaur hunting games for the PS3? Or any hunting games?

I just want to wander around a pretty environment and occasionally shoot things. I'm getting RDR to this end. Also considering Farcry 2.

I actually like Far Cry 2, although I believe the Goon consensus hates it because of the respawning enemies at the checkpoints. It can be an engrossing shooter although I recommend that you get it on PC if that is an option

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Why PC? Graphics or modding capability? It's not an option though. I only really want it to wander around in and run over zebras in jeeps, its pretty cheap now I would have thought.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I figured that Just Cause 2 is everything Far Cry 2 was and more.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I dont think Greek mythology had a heaven, so unless you got to Elysium like Kratos' daughter, it was Hades for all.
Hades was more of a "limbo" kinda place. You went there when you died, but then you either get to Elysium or Tartarus (which could be considered hell)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm pretty sure Just Cause 2 doesn't have any zebras. Reason enough to get Far Cry 2. Also dynamic fire.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Tactical Grace posted:

Why PC? Graphics or modding capability? It's not an option though. I only really want it to wander around in and run over zebras in jeeps, its pretty cheap now I would have thought.

1) The light modding capability
2) You can save anywhere on it. On the consoles you have to do it in certain spots. Not a deal breaker though as I owned it on Xbox before I did on PC
3) Aiming with a mouse is easier for me

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured that Just Cause 2 is everything Far Cry 2 was and more.

Just Cause 2 reminds me more of Saints Row than it does Far Cry. Far Cry plays pretty uniquely to me. It can be a very tactical game that involves lots of driving. The driving is dull as hell, but when the combat starts heating up, it can be very exhilarating in the way enemies try to hunt you down based on your last known location while you use that to your advantage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tactical Grace posted:

Get Skyrim. The worls is huge and fantastic looking. You can hunt wolves, foxes, dear, bears, sabrecats, dragons...

(Though the PS3 version is pretty buggy at the moment.)

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Kratos dying is just sort of this thing that happens. He gets used to it.

Having never really gotten into the God of War series (and I swear I will... someday), reading snippets of story line like this is quite funny. And confusing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To be fair, dying in Greek Mythology was just kind of a thing that happens. You have dudes like Sisyphus who died multiple times and came back to life through trickery until he was finally caught and made to push a boulder up a hill for eternity. And Orpheus almost brought Eurydice back from the Underworld, but got ants in his pants and looked back at her before he was supposed to

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
He's probably going to end up wherever Athena went. As soon as she showed up at the beginning to tell Kratos there's a whole level above all this it was a pretty obvious hook for the sequel.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yup. Saints Row: The Third is the most fun video game I've played all year.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

God of War IV could be about Kratos working at a Burger King and I'd buy that poo poo. More bloody carnage as the world's most lovable sociopathic badass is nothing but a good thing.

Cartoon Man posted:

Get Skyrim. The worls is huge and fantastic looking. You can hunt wolves, foxes, dear, bears, sabrecats, dragons...

Yeah, don't get it for the PS3. It's not that stable on any platform but it's atrocious on the PS3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, don't get it for the PS3. It's not that stable on any platform but it's atrocious on the PS3.
Also there is no real evidence that the root problem will ever be fixed. I bought it on the PS3 foolishly believing that, but ended up selling it and buying it on the PC instead, even though I strongly favor PS3 games in general.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Stare-Out posted:

God of War IV could be about Kratos working at a Burger King and I'd buy that poo poo. More bloody carnage as the world's most lovable sociopathic badass is nothing but a good thing.

I've said it before, but I think it's a valid point: I'm loving sick to death of Kratos. The first two games he's pretty unrepentant about who he murders, but there are (shaky) reasons for his rage and it didn't really bother me. By the time I was done with 3, I was loving tired of listening to the dude whine all the time.

It's a no-brainer that they're gonna make a fourth game, as it's a super-big-huge Sony exclusive, but I hope that the attitude changes a bit. I'll probably play it either way, as the gameplay and graphics are usually a helluva lotta fun, but still.

ARRRRRRR ZEUUUUUUUUUSSSSSS

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also there is no real evidence that the root problem will ever be fixed. I bought it on the PS3 foolishly believing that, but ended up selling it and buying it on the PC instead, even though I strongly favor PS3 games in general.
If the place I bought it from didn't have an utterly retarded return policy, I would've taken the game back ages ago, but as it is, I'm in it for the long haul. And yeah, it's pretty evident that the problems are stuck so deep within the engine that a patch could never really fix them, so people like me are just stuck with a 60 buck glitchy turd.

The game is great when it works but it really doesn't on the PS3. It's like they took the 360 version and gave it to a bunch of monkeys who then ported it.

EC posted:

I've said it before, but I think it's a valid point: I'm loving sick to death of Kratos. The first two games he's pretty unrepentant about who he murders, but there are (shaky) reasons for his rage and it didn't really bother me. By the time I was done with 3, I was loving tired of listening to the dude whine all the time.

It's a no-brainer that they're gonna make a fourth game, as it's a super-big-huge Sony exclusive, but I hope that the attitude changes a bit. I'll probably play it either way, as the gameplay and graphics are usually a helluva lotta fun, but still.

I agree that the graphics and gameplay are the highpoints, but Kratos doesn't bug me all that much. To me he's just a pissed off dude taking some aggression out on various awesome-looking demons and deities. No real need to read into it further than that if it gets in the way of enjoying the games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Housh posted:

Yup. Saints Row: The Third is the most fun video game I've played all year.

Yup.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

EC posted:

3 started treating Kratos like a hero of legend or something, a tragic anti-hero or something like that, and for some reason it really bothered me. I spent the last two games playing an unrepentant psycho who tore a bloody path through Greece, and I was glad that the games understood that I was playing a Bad Person. Then 3 starts trying to make him more sympathetic and it just rubbed me the wrong way. The change of directors really threw a wrench in things for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

3 started treating Kratos like a hero of legend or something, a tragic anti-hero or something like that, and for some reason it really bothered me. I spent the last two games playing an unrepentant psycho who tore a bloody path through Greece, and I was glad that the games understood that I was playing a Bad Person. Then 3 starts trying to make him more sympathetic and it just rubbed me the wrong way. The change of directors really threw a wrench in things for me.
I really think this is more of a problem with the other games, then a problem with 3. It is good that the story ended with him as a more sympathetic character, but there has to be an arc that ends there, not just MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER sympathetic.

I mean, either or. Either they make it a smooth progression, or just make him a rage fueled murder machine all the way to the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I agree there. A mythological character doesn't necessarily have to be good or sympathetic, they just have to have some purpose to their story. With Kratos, it made sense that you had a short sighted, narrow and small-minded character who was willing to make the world worse and worse because of his small-minded assholery.

I mean, God of War 2 opens up with "Kratos becomes the God of War and decides to be a dick to everyone, to the point where Zeus is eventually forced to kill his rear end." That's a perfectly reasonable idea for a mythological dude. Then God of War 3 retcons it with "Uh, but that is because the Gods were filled with evil and Kratos with Hope and blah blah blah" which tries to make Kratos' rampages look justified instead of like the small-minded poo poo they were.

One of the things I thought GoW got right is that Kratos wasn't a "cool" character precisely. He was a whiny, angry, selfish dick in a setting where it made sense to have that kind of character. GoW3 (and to a lesser extent, the PSP games) lost it when they tried to make him into this tortured hero who saves the world.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Then God of War 3 retcons it with "Uh, but that is because the Gods were filled with evil and Kratos with Hope and blah blah blah" which tries to make Kratos' rampages look justified instead of like the small-minded poo poo they were.

...GoW3 (and to a lesser extent, the PSP games) lost it when they tried to make him into this tortured hero who saves the world.
They ended up making the gods "evil," you're right, but he by no means saved the world. For every god he killed, whatever they controlled immediately swelled into chaos. Kratos caused a world-wide flood by killing Poseidon. Kratos blotted out the Sun by killing Helios. Kratos most likely unleashed the dead onto Earth by killing Hades. By the end of GOW3, Kratos basically caused the apocalypse.

And Kratos wasn't necessarily filled with Hope. The biggest problem Kratos has is that because he's so pissed off at everything, it's very easy to control him (despite him thinking that he's doing it all himself), and he's basically being used as a tool of destruction by others in this entire series. In GOW3, Athena used this herself. Her plan was to have all of the Evil gods killed, so she could control the world via the power of Hope that Kratos was carrying. Athena justified his actions out of concern for the "greater good," but I honestly don't think that us, the players, are supposed to find that reasoning sufficient.

Kratos obviously hates being controlled by others, so this naturally pissed him off. Instead, he released the power of Hope into a world that is currently undergoing the apocalypse, giving it to a population that can't do anything with it. But we've seen from Kratos himself that a god having too much power is a bad thing, so he shouldn't have given it to Athena, right?

So, there really is no "good" side to this story.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 28, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

They ended up making the gods "evil," you're right, but he by no means saved the world.

I was thinking of the PSP games there actually. in particular, Chains of Olympus has a scene where he oh-so-tragically sacrifices eternal happiness in order to protect reality from being destroyed and then returns the Sun to the world. It feels... off.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I was thinking of the PSP games there actually. in particular, Chains of Olympus has a scene where he oh-so-tragically sacrifices eternal happiness in order to protect reality from being destroyed and then returns the Sun to the world. It feels... off.
Oh. Well, it takes place before all of this anyway, and I've never played the portable games, so I'm not sure how they fit into the series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I think it works there because it's kind of before the end of God or War, which I feel is his breaking point where he goes from being an rear end in a top hat, to an rear end in a top hat that wants to take everyone down with him. I mean in the end they won't even let him die. They tell him not only will they not relieve him of his pain, but they won't even let him end his existence. In fact they just give him more responsibilities that he doesn't want. Also, in the end of Chains of Olympus, he wouldn't have gotten eternal happiness if he had not acted. It's pointed out to him that he's damned in either situation.

Really, I think CoO, like the original, worked well in setting why he's such an rear end in a top hat that just hates everyone. I think there's a difference between humanizing him and making him the hero (which is what they awkwardly kind of but not really did in III).

On an unrelated note I finally beat Ar Tonelico II. Why was this game so good? There's so much to hate and the translation might be one of the worst I've ever seen, but man is this game fun. It also contains two of the best boss musics I've ever heard (which is saying something).

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 28, 2011

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Cartoon Man posted:

I guess I'm just lucky, I'm currently at level 33, 39 hr playtime with my save files about to hit 7mb.

I haven't run into a single problem so far, whats the main problems that people are having?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Puddin posted:

I guess I'm just lucky, I'm currently at level 33, 39 hr playtime with my save files about to hit 7mb.

I haven't run into a single problem so far, whats the main problems that people are having?
As the save file gets bigger, the game will lag behind the input more and more, as the engine's usable memory gets pinched. Seven and a half megabytes is where I started seeing trouble.

axleblaze posted:

On an unrelated ote I finally beat Ar Tonelico II. Why was this game so good. There's so much to hate and the translation might be one of the worst I've ever seen, but man it this game fun. It also contains two of the best boss musics I've ever heard (which is saying something).
This is how I feel. I sure as hell don't feel that way about AT1 or 3 though. AT2's goodness as a game is just inexplicable.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stare-Out posted:

Could you imagine if they actually made it as a cooking/management sim for the first hour of the game, then as Kratos has to deal with dumber and dumber customers, he eventually rages out and seeks to destroy The King?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Ineffiable posted:

Could you imagine if they actually made it as a cooking/management sim for the first hour of the game, then as Kratos has to deal with dumber and dumber customers, he eventually rages out and seeks to destroy The King?
This is the only God of War game I might actually buy. Then he could meet the dude from Bulletstorm, and it could become a co-op buddy god romp.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

See, it practically writes itself!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

This sounds a lot like the (also greek-myth-themed) Minotaur China Shop, which so needed a high-budget retail version, but never got one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is how I feel. I sure as hell don't feel that way about AT1 or 3 though. AT2's goodness as a game is just inexplicable.

It's good to know that I shouldn't play AT1 either.

I'm seriously considering trying to go for some other story paths and a do have other games to play. What's wrong with me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nothing, AT2 is just that good.

And I wouldn't call AT1 bad either. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's a solid JRPG with nice, Atelier-like synthesis mechanics.

AT3 though, yeah, it sucks.

• Locked thread