Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

DarthXaos posted:

"IT'S MY PROCESS!"

There was no abundant intentionality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still maintain that suitcase argument is utterly brilliant - it's exactly how two young College Students from wealthy, privileged backgrounds would be likely to act in a relationship. It's perfect.

Especially the way the argument goes from,"We're educated, bright and articulate, we're not children anymore and we can identify the root causes of our issues and come to a logical conclusion.... LET'S GET MARRIED! :downs:"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 9, 2011

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Now that I think of it, do we ever find out what that Ojibwe saying on the wall in Tony's hospital room was all about, or who put it up there?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
"Funhouse" was on yesterday and I got to thinking: did they really whack Pussy on some random guys boat that Tony took out for a test drive? What about bloodstains, etc.?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

coronaball posted:

"Funhouse" was on yesterday and I got to thinking: did they really whack Pussy on some random guys boat that Tony took out for a test drive? What about bloodstains, etc.?

They had Paulie with them. :downsrim: (Clean Freak)

It doesn't make sense to me to shoot a gun at the bottom level of the boat.

But it's better some random boat that gets test driven a lot by different people than the Stugots. Blood happens, say a nosebleed or whatever, the owner wouldn't know that it belonged to a missing mobster.

The problem would be bullet holes if they missed or penetrated through Pussy's large body, Tony shoulda strangled him instead like he did in "College."

Worst case I guess the boat could be reported stolen and then destroyed, but that's a lot of extra work. Let's just chalk it up to these guys not being as careful as they should.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm nearing the end of season 5 on a rewatch and I totally forgot about Valentina lighting herself on fire. :psyduck: Whose loving idea was that?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Obviously not hers! :haw:

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Wartime Consigliere posted:

They had Paulie with them. :downsrim: (Clean Freak)

It doesn't make sense to me to shoot a gun at the bottom level of the boat.

But it's better some random boat that gets test driven a lot by different people than the Stugots. Blood happens, say a nosebleed or whatever, the owner wouldn't know that it belonged to a missing mobster.

The problem would be bullet holes if they missed or penetrated through Pussy's large body, Tony shoulda strangled him instead like he did in "College."

Worst case I guess the boat could be reported stolen and then destroyed, but that's a lot of extra work. Let's just chalk it up to these guys not being as careful as they should.

I always figured it just belonged to a shady acquaintance of theirs and it'd get cleaned up after, and whoever owned the boat wouldn't go to the cops anyway.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I was watching Manhattan Murder Mystery, which to my surprise had not one but two different Sopranos actors: Jerry Adler, aka Hesh, as the suspect of the mystery, but also Aida Turturro (Janice) in a dialogue-free bit part as an apartment janitor or superintendent or whatever the gently caress.

Anyway, early in season 6 now, and I just got past the Kevin Finnerty episodes. The first time around, those episodes really grated on me, but here they were a lot more tolerable, even enjoyable. Especially the final sequence with Buscemi greeting Tony at the mansion. It didn't hurt that I remembered them taking up a much bigger chunk of the season, instead of just two episodes.

But now I'm on the verge of the Johnnycakes poo poo, which I'm less optimistic about enjoying any more.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I love how Will Arnett has a 10-second role in this show. If I ever meet him, I'm going to say, "I loved you in The Sopranos!

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Criminal Minded posted:

But now I'm on the verge of the Johnnycakes poo poo, which I'm less optimistic about enjoying any more.

Man, I really hated Vito's storyline. What should have been a small subplot was this huge boring thing. It would have been much better in a smaller dose.

vegaji posted:

I love how Will Arnett has a 10-second role in this show. If I ever meet him, I'm going to say, "I loved you in The Sopranos!

I had that exact same thought.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

vegaji posted:

Or Tony Hale. (He was Junior's chemo technician.)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
"Luxury Lounge" has a (reasonably deserved) iffy reputation but oh my god I forgot about Phil's speech at the beginning of the episode. They're at a dinner for a couple of new made guys, and he starts in:

"In light of recent embarrassments, it's an honor be joined by men...AND NOT human being-rear end CORN-HOLING COCKSUCKERS LIKE MARRIED MY COUSIN. HE SHOULD FUCKIN' DIE!"

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I've been on a Law & Order marathon lately and it's hilarious how many Sopranos cast members show up on the show. The most well known being Michael Imperoli doing a guest stint as a detective, but there've been others.

Off the top of my head...

Junior as a judge and a lawyer
Artie as a suspected kidnapper/murderer
Carmella as a legal aid lawyer
Janice had several appearances.
Phil as a creepy strip club owner.
Hesh as a judge.
Gigi (the guy who died on the toilet) was Profaci, who was a fill-in cop whenever one was needed.

Bobby, Patsy, Pussy and Assemblyman Zellman all appeared as well, but I can't remember what their specific roles were.

I know it's not unusual that these actors all appeared on shows that were based in New York/Jersey, but it's funny seeing Artie running from the cops and getting arrested or Junior presiding over a murder case.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Criminal Minded posted:

"Luxury Lounge" has a (reasonably deserved) iffy reputation

How so? All I remember is Ben Kingsley being approached for Cleaver and Lauren Bacall getting punched in the face.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

vegaji posted:

Jack Black was playing frisbee in the general admission area before gates open where Tenacious D supported the Foo Fighters at a show I went to. I told him how much I loved him in X-Files and got a laugh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Perdido posted:

I've been on a Law & Order marathon lately and it's hilarious how many Sopranos cast members show up on the show. The most well known being Michael Imperoli doing a guest stint as a detective, but there've been others.

Off the top of my head...

Junior as a judge and a lawyer
Artie as a suspected kidnapper/murderer
Carmella as a legal aid lawyer
Janice had several appearances.
Phil as a creepy strip club owner.
Hesh as a judge.
Gigi (the guy who died on the toilet) was Profaci, who was a fill-in cop whenever one was needed.

Bobby, Patsy, Pussy and Assemblyman Zellman all appeared as well, but I can't remember what their specific roles were.

I know it's not unusual that these actors all appeared on shows that were based in New York/Jersey, but it's funny seeing Artie running from the cops and getting arrested or Junior presiding over a murder case.
Carmella also appeared on Homicide as a wife of a cop. The cop is Beecher from OZ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure the cast of Oz (prisoners and guards alike) all escaped from Oz and are currently all in hiding on the set of Law and Order.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jerusalem posted:

Random memory of the show just hit me, there's a scene early in the series where Christopher is typing on a laptop near Tony. Tony glares at the laptop and says,"Close that thing, I don't trust those... whatcha call em? Cookies."

I loved that poor Tony didn't understand the internet at all and basically figured that the laptop was recording their conversations and anybody could "download them", but closing the laptop would shut them off :3:

I think that's in Season 1 or 2. Gigi was on a laptop and Tony says, "Log off, I don't trust that cookie poo poo".

Alan BStard posted:

Right now I'm up to Finn and Meadow's loving ridiculous "but you got out a suitcase!" argument, ugh.

This. This is the only scene I've never re watched.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, here are two of my favorite moments from the series:

-Patsy showing up drunk (and armed) at Tony's house in "Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood". I especially love the reactions of the FBI agents who don't know whether to just sit back and watch the attempted assassination or take Patsy down and blow their cover ("He's loving drunk!"). Even though he couldn't work up the courage to shoot the boss, Patsy still takes a piss in his pool.

-In the episode "The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti", Tony finds out indictments might be coming down so he orders everyone to do some house cleaning leading to this exchange with Carmela:
Tony: All right. You'd better give me your jewelry.
[Carmela sighs]
Tony: Hey, they know we can't produce receipts. You want 'em stealing this stuff from us?
[after Carmela removes her necklace, Tony points to her diamond ring and Carmela balks]
Tony: Come on.
Carmela: I'm not giving you my engagement ring. This isn't stolen!
Carmela: Is it?
Tony: No!
[beat]
Tony: What do you think I am?

The "Oh gently caress, I better lie here" look that Tony has on his face is priceless.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 28, 2011

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
One of the best lines ever, from "D-Girl":

Meadow: Madame de Stael said: In life one must choose between boredom and suffering.

(Long pause as Tony and Carm gape at her).

Tony: Go to your room.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got Season 2 for Christmas so I've been going back through the early episodes. It's always a (pleasant) surprise to be reminded of just what an amazingly hateful, manipulative person Livia was. Watching the wheels turn in her head when she figures out what Janice is up to and putting the idea of the money into the back of her mind was a joy to watch.

Also I love the Italy episode, watching how Tony, Paulie and Christopher deal with being in the "old country" in their respective ways is great. Paulie trying to make small-talk with the prostitute and find a shared history is simultaneously hilarious and utterly depressing. Tony drinking in the history and the strong family bonds is great too, especially considering the horrible poo poo Carmela is going through back in America as she projects her own fears onto Pussy's wife.

Meanwhile Christopher is stoned out of his goddamn mind insisting that he's definitely going to go see that mountain for sure, absolutely.... definitely gonna happen.... tomorrow maybe......

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Paulie freaking out over the toilets in Italy is the best thing about that episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrBling posted:

Paulie freaking out over the toilets in Italy is the best thing about that episode.

Paulie constantly interrupting Tony in the middle of serious business to tell him the most inane poo poo is amazing. They get offered a ride with the Don and Paulie calls Tony over in the middle of the offer to tell him he has to take a monster poo poo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Paulie constantly interrupting Tony in the middle of serious business to tell him the most inane poo poo is amazing. They get offered a ride with the Don and Paulie calls Tony over in the middle of the offer to tell him he has to take a monster poo poo.

"Are you from NATO?"

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 31, 2011

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Commendatori!

*cut to David Chase looking like he wants to poo poo on Paulie's head*

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
The best Paulie moment is his conversation with Sil about snakes loving themselves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo that was David Chase? That's even better.

The best Paulie moment is his conversation with Sil about snakes loving themselves.

"You never forget your first blowjob... do you remember yours? You do? Did you make the guy cum? HAHAHAHA! Hey T you hear that? I ask him if he remembers his first blowjob, he says yeah, I say did you make the guy cum! Hahahaha!"

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo that was David Chase? That's even better.

"You never forget your first blowjob... do you remember yours? You do? Did you make the guy cum? HAHAHAHA! Hey T you hear that? I ask him if he remembers his first blowjob, he says yeah, I say did you make the guy cum! Hahahaha!"

Paulie Walnuts: Amazing thing about snakes is that they reproduce spontaneously.
Tony Soprano: What do you mean?
Paulie Walnuts: They have both male and female sex organs. That’s why somebody you don’t trust you call a snake. How can you trust a guy who can literally go gently caress themselves?
Tony Soprano: Don’t you think that expression would’ve come from the Adam and Eve story? When the snake tempted Eve to bite the apple?
Paulie Walnuts: Hey, snakes were loving themselves long before Adam and Eve showed up, T.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I always find it amazing to see Tony Sirico in ANYTHING that isn't The Sopranos, even if it was in an episode of the 5th and lovely season of Miami Vice....

http://youtu.be/bjaCYOmixaw

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

That led me to this great scene where the Peeps family name is remembered for all eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbuHyeHX7IU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Paulie Walnuts: Amazing thing about snakes is that they reproduce spontaneously.
Tony Soprano: What do you mean?
Paulie Walnuts: They have both male and female sex organs. That’s why somebody you don’t trust you call a snake. How can you trust a guy who can literally go gently caress themselves?
Tony Soprano: Don’t you think that expression would’ve come from the Adam and Eve story? When the snake tempted Eve to bite the apple?
Paulie Walnuts: Hey, snakes were loving themselves long before Adam and Eve showed up, T.

As great as that scene is, nothing will ever top "FUCKIN' QUEERS!" in the list of fantastic Paulie scenes.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As great as that scene is, nothing will ever top "FUCKIN' QUEERS!" in the list of fantastic Paulie scenes.

Agreeing with this. I had to pause the show to laugh for about 5 minutes after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I forgot all about how he storms in to see the priest, complaining that he thought he purchased "protection" from going to hell. Also when he is gets it into his head that Christopher just saw purgatory and he'll "only" be there for a million years or so and he can do that standing on his head.

I can't tell you how happy I am that in the final episode the last we see of Paulie is him and the cat he is convinced is possessed by Christopher's ghost sunning themselves.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Obviously, the show goes a long way to try and paint Tony as a sympathetic figure but there are times when nothing can cover up what a cold-hearted sonofabitch he is.

For example, when his high school buddy Davey (played by Robert Patrick!) loses $40,000 at the high-stakes poker game. Tony runs a "bust out" on the guy's store, running up huge bills on the store's credit and selling the merchandise out of the trunks of cars for half price.

The guy winds up sleeping in his own sporting goods store and he and Tony have a late night chat:
Davey: "You told me not to get in the game. Why'd you let me do it?"
Tony: "Well, I knew you had this business here, Davey. It's my nature. The frog and the scorpion, you know? Besides, if you would've won I'd be the one crying the blues, right?"
Davey: "What's the end?"
Tony: "The end... It's planned bankruptcy."
Davey starts crying.
Tony: "Hey, you're not the first guy to get busted out. This is how a guy like me makes his living. This is my bread and butter."

What a great scene.

Of course, the worst part was when Davey took his son's car away from him for "off roading" so he could sell it to Tony to knock down his debt. And then Tony gives the car to Meadow, who is singing a duet with the kid at a school concert. Awkkkkwaaaard.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 10, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

haljordan posted:

Of course, the worst part was when Davey took his son's car away from him for "off roading" so he could sell it to Tony to knock down his debt. And then gives the car to Meadow, who is singing a duet with the kid at a school concert. Awkkkkwaaaard.

I loved that whole storyline, especially since it was mostly all of Davey's own making. What really got to me about the bit you spoilered though is that Tony is delighted with Davey for "doing the right thing" and gets so infuriated with Meadow for being justifiably upset that he lays out on the line for her that EVERYTHING they have is a result of what he does and if she wants to sit on her high horse about it she can go do it in a homeless shelter.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

haljordan posted:

Of course, the worst part was when Davey took his son's car away from him for "off roading" so he could sell it to Tony to knock down his debt. And then gives the car to Meadow, who is singing a duet with the kid at a school concert. Awkkkkwaaaard.

I give my little daughter a car to rub her face in poo poo, and you're telling me I did something noble?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

I give my little daughter a car to rub her face in poo poo, and you're telling me I did something noble?

I'M FIXIN' THE FUCKIN' LIGHT BULB, OK?!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Worst of all, after his college fund was depleted and his father went to an insane asylum, Eric tried to circumcise himself, had a relationship with a MTF transsexual and a neo-Nazi, made a porn film with a woman he knocked up, and became a Scientologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw this thread pop back up again so I thought I'd jump in and post. I had ice cream the other night at Holsten's where the final scene was shot.
http://www.holstens.com/

I didn't realize that it was just one town over. They did a ton of filming around North Jersey and it was always fun to try to identify the places in all the scenes.

• Locked thread