Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Got this for christmas, its a massive step up from my nanoKey....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Duck and burger posted:

And it's 'then', not 'than'.

A grammar lesson! I bet that felt good. I'm still cool with (most) seven string players but my personal opinion about the instrument probably won't change, thanks.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

the wizards beard posted:

Are there many 7 strings that aren't pointy metal guitars?

In my experience, 99% of 7 strings that don't come from a custom shop are black super strats, which sucks. It would be nice if you could get one with decent passive pickups though. I don't mind EMGs as much as some, but they all either have EMGs or lovely Duncan Designed pickups. I have a cheap Schecter 7 that I dropped some Dimarzios into, and it sounds fantastic.

Anyway, I think CCCP is right about most nu-metal bands using baritones. From what I remember it was mostly just Korn and maybe Limp Bizkit that used 7s; they're definitely pretty popular now among "real" metal bands and shred guys. Nergal from Behemoth has an ESP signature model coming out, and John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Steve Vai have had sig models for a while now . Personally, I started playing them in college because I was really into Dream Theater and Nevermore, and currently play one in a symphonic death metal band. Having the extra low end without sacrificing the upper range is pretty nice :colbert:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 27, 2011

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drifter287 posted:

In my experience, 99% of 7 strings that don't come from a custom shop are black super strats, which sucks. It would be nice if you could get one with decent passive pickups though. I don't mind EMGs as much as some, but they all either have EMGs or lovely Duncan Designed pickups. I have a cheap Schecter 7 that I dropped some Dimarzios into, and it sounds fantastic.

Anyway, I think CCCP is right about most nu-metal bands using baritones. From what I remember it was mostly just Korn and maybe Limp Bizkit that used 7s; they're definitely pretty popular now among "real" metal bands and shred guys. Nergal from Behemoth has an ESP signature model coming out, and John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, and Steve Vai have had sig models for a while now . Personally, I started playing them in college because I was really into Dream Theater and Nevermore, and currently play one in a symphonic death metal band. Having the extra low end without sacrificing the upper range is pretty nice :colbert:

Wes Borland mainly used standard guitars and also had a custom made Ibanez 4-string baritone (which is still about 2 strings too many for most Limp Bizkit songs). If he played a 7 string, it wasn't very often; at least not often enough that I would immediately associate his name with 7 string players. His signature guitar is some piece of Yamaha (I think) junk that is a standard 6 string.

I used to justify knowing this by saying he was the only even remotely redeeming quality of the band but ever since he gave up a chance to join NIN to rejoin Fred Durst and make some more fart lord rap metal, I lost that excuse. Now I simply pray for a quick and painless death, fully aware that I don't deserve it because I know about Limp Bizkit's guitar gear.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

C.C.C.P. posted:

I used to justify knowing this by saying he was the only even remotely redeeming quality of the band but ever since he gave up a chance to join NIN to rejoin Fred Durst and make some more fart lord rap metal, I lost that excuse. Now I simply pray for a quick and painless death, fully aware that I don't deserve it because I know about Limp Bizkit's guitar gear.

I always thought Limp Bizkit could actually be a really cool funk-metal band if they just ditched Durst.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

C.C.C.P. posted:

Wes Borland mainly used standard guitars and also had a custom made Ibanez 4-string baritone (which is still about 2 strings too many for most Limp Bizkit songs). If he played a 7 string, it wasn't very often; at least not often enough that I would immediately associate his name with 7 string players. His signature guitar is some piece of Yamaha (I think) junk that is a standard 6 string.

I think the fact that you introduced the phrase "fart lord rap metal" to the world may be enough to redeem you.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

C.C.C.P. posted:

Wes actually played 7s pretty frequently, though instead of having a low B he doubled the high string (the whole guitar was still tuned down a minor third or something stupid) but he did some cool stuff with the drone strings. I played in a band with a guy who did the same thing and it was pretty sweet.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Imagine Limp Bizkit without Fred Durst.

And with Mike Patton on vocals instead.

There. I just blew everyone's mind. Or, as Fred himself would say, "hosed up ya program".

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, I think both Slipknot and Slipknot-wannabe-band-that-no-one-cared-about Mushroomhead both played 7 strings. And they each had like 17 guitarists at the same time, so that alone is enough to swing things back in favor of it being a nu-metal instrument. Wrap it up, 7-stringailures.

Unfortunately, I do not know, nor do I ever want to know, the guitar rigs of #'s 17 and 3 or whatever number they were, let alone guitar legend "Pig Benis", so I can't comment for sure.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 27, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think Slipknot did but Mushroomhead definitely did/does.

deluxeg
Jan 19, 2001

C.C.C.P. posted:

Also, I think both Slipknot and Slipknot-wannabe-band-that-no-one-cared-about Mushroomhead both played 7 strings. And they each had like 17 guitarists at the same time, so that alone is enough to swing things back in favor of it being a nu-metal instrument. Wrap it up, 7-stringailures.

Unfortunately, I do not know, nor do I ever want to know, the guitar rigs of #'s 17 and 3 or whatever number they were, let alone guitar legend "Pig Benis", so I can't comment for sure.

As far as Slipknot goes they don't use seven strings, in fact Jim Root has a signature Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster. Also Jim Root seems like a laid back dude and would probably be awesome to hang out with.

Seven strings are old news anyway. Check out Animals as Leaders, eight strings is where it's at.

Thinking of picking this up tomorrow.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I sort of want a baritone but finding a decent guitarist is hard enough without having to find one who also uses the same type of semi-uncommon guitar.

I do love the low BRONG BRONG of a baritone played clean though.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

deluxeg posted:

Not a fan of strats at all but that is sweet as hell! That HSH setup would sound pretty cool I bet

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

deluxeg posted:

As far as Slipknot goes they don't use seven strings, in fact Jim Root has a signature Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster. Also Jim Root seems like a laid back dude and would probably be awesome to hang out with.

Seven strings are old news anyway. Check out Animals as Leaders, eight strings is where it's at.

What turned me away from most HSH guitars was that the neck humbucker was so far away from the neck. There is so much space that I don't like, I feel as if it should be as close as possible for the best tone. So I stuck with building my own.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

C.C.C.P. posted:

that alone is enough to swing things back in favor of it being a nu-metal instrument. Wrap it up, 7-stringailures.

I'm really thankful that any real musician would see a guitar with 7 strings and think "what kind of music can I make with this?" instead of "what kind of music has usually been made with this instrument?"

It's a hunk of wood with pickups and strings. There aren't any rules.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If we're talking about applications in metal that are not nu, B std tuning is historically one of the most popular tunings used for death metal(particularly by the Swedes) and the only reason restrung 6s were historically favoured over factory-strung 7s was the lack of availability and range for that configuration in the early 90s when that scene was really kicking off.

Now, 7s are a bit more popular amongst legitimate metal bands as it's a pretty easy and accessible option. Almost every metal bass player has a 5 string so it just makes a lot of sense for a dude to pick up a 7 and not have to gently caress around trying to fit a 58 gauge string into a nut designed for a 52 or less, sort out a potentially distressed truss rod and then try to get the drat bastard to intonate.

That said, 8 strings are the new 7 strings, just like deathcore and "djent" are perceived by gristled old men like me as the new nu metal. Also just like dubstep remixes are the new rap metal.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Just to annoy all you old guys, I've got another custom 8-string on the way!

I posted a while back about my Bernie Rico Jr. custom Hesperian 825 (which still hasn't arrived...). Well, This past Black Friday I was checking out some other builders and discovered Oakland Axe Factory. It turns out Tom Drinkwater, the guy behind it, lives almost right next to the family farm in Maine and visits the place quite a bit. We got talking and he decided to to an amazing BF run, a "semi"-custom 8-string for just over $1000 (regular semi-customs are $1500-2000, full customs are $3500+). I say "semi" because he's been more than generous regarding mods to his original idea and is doing some special things on my guitar. Even better, his guitars have a pretty unique flair which keeps them from being flavor-of-the-month RG clones.
Four other people are in on this run, it's expected they'll be done in March.

This is so goddamn exciting for me; here's a builder that knows my family, makes amazing guitars and is cool with me stopping by to check out progress/toss ideas around. I'll be ordering another guitar from him soon. Probably a multiscale 8 with some exotic woods.

My specs:
  • OAF 8-string singlecut (pretty much an 8-string Telecaster)
  • Ash body
  • AAAA Flamed Maple Top + Headstock Overlay (Satin finish- Ocean Blue)
  • 27" scale Indian Rosewood Neck + Fingerboard
  • Luminlay Side Dots (Glow-in-the-dark!)
  • Special Inlay
  • Lace Aluma X-Bar Pickups (futuristic custom P90's)
  • Black Hipshot Hardware
  • Volume, Tone, and 3-Way Switch
  • Custom Black Friday 2011 Marking

It'll look the same as this (just with different woods)

And here's what the multiscale will look like

While I was visiting Tom last weekend, I got to play this: A 10-string multiscale (27"-30") double cut, with a solid bubinga body and fretboard, and a bamboo neck.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Lriagan posted:

What turned me away from most HSH guitars was that the neck humbucker was so far away from the neck. There is so much space that I don't like, I feel as if it should be as close as possible for the best tone. So I stuck with building my own.

It's a 21-fretter. Standard 22-fret Strat'll have the neck pup in the same place.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Gasmask posted:

Just to annoy all you old guys, I've got another custom 8-string on the way!

I posted a while back about my Bernie Rico Jr. custom Hesperian 825 (which still hasn't arrived...). Well, This past Black Friday I was checking out some other builders and discovered Oakland Axe Factory. It turns out Tom Drinkwater, the guy behind it, lives almost right next to the family farm in Maine and visits the place quite a bit. We got talking and he decided to to an amazing BF run, a "semi"-custom 8-string for just over $1000 (regular semi-customs are $1500-2000, full customs are $3500+). I say "semi" because he's been more than generous regarding mods to his original idea and is doing some special things on my guitar. Even better, his guitars have a pretty unique flair which keeps them from being flavor-of-the-month RG clones.
Four other people are in on this run, it's expected they'll be done in March.

This is so goddamn exciting for me; here's a builder that knows my family, makes amazing guitars and is cool with me stopping by to check out progress/toss ideas around. I'll be ordering another guitar from him soon. Probably a multiscale 8 with some exotic woods.

My specs:
  • OAF 8-string singlecut (pretty much an 8-string Telecaster)
  • Ash body
  • AAAA Flamed Maple Top + Headstock Overlay (Satin finish- Ocean Blue)
  • 27" scale Indian Rosewood Neck + Fingerboard
  • Luminlay Side Dots (Glow-in-the-dark!)
  • Special Inlay
  • Lace Aluma X-Bar Pickups (futuristic custom P90's)
  • Black Hipshot Hardware
  • Volume, Tone, and 3-Way Switch
  • Custom Black Friday 2011 Marking

It'll look the same as this (just with different woods)

And here's what the multiscale will look like

While I was visiting Tom last weekend, I got to play this: A 10-string multiscale (27"-30") double cut, with a solid bubinga body and fretboard, and a bamboo neck.

I've wanted to get a 6 from Tom for ages, he makes gorgeous guitars.
Do you post on sevenstring.org?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I've wanted to get a 6 from Tom for ages, he makes gorgeous guitars.
Do you post on sevenstring.org?

Yeah, I post there under Rap Hat.

I can't recommend OAF enough; Tom is such a great guy, he goes way out of his way to make customers happy and is genuinely passionate about building. He's also one of the few small builders that has consistently kept to the estimated build times. It's so common to get quoted 3-4 months and end up waiting 12-18 that being on schedule is the exception.
Tom's actually got a bunch of 6-string builds ongoing, so it might be worth tossing him a line to see what he could do. He showed me his personal 6 (the singlecut with a flamed maple neck :fap:), and I had to resist offering to buy it on the spot.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barn Door posted:

I'm really thankful that any real musician would see a guitar with 7 strings and think "what kind of music can I make with this?" instead of "what kind of music has usually been made with this instrument?"

It's a hunk of wood with pickups and strings. There aren't any rules.

I was making a horrible joke about those bands having 8000 members, more than anything! I play ambient, dream pop, noise, shoegaze, etc. - basically the least nu-metal genres ever - and I have a 7 string I've used on more than one occasion. I'm not going to lie and say I play jazz runs on it or anything; I basically use it for lower sounding chords, but even then, there's a pretty big difference between that and going CHUNK-A-CHUNK-CHUNK AY YO gently caress YOU DAD *wicky wicky wicky* CHUNK-A-CHUNK.

7 strings run through a poo poo ton of reverb and delay sound pretty amazing :3:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can anyone tell me what this spherical perspex floor tom is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV-_IQJljvU&t=183s

It's at 3:03 if the cue doesn't work, in the upper right.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Handen posted:

Can anyone tell me what this spherical perspex floor tom is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV-_IQJljvU&t=183s

It's at 3:03 if the cue doesn't work, in the upper right.
It is an acrylic timpani - http://www.vistalites.com/rare/timp.htm

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Sandberg Califonia VM. Plays like a dream.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh boy, would you like at what came in the mail yesterday! I just bought this hand-made cajon from goon iwannabebobdylan, you should check out his SA-Mart thread.

I wholeheartedly recommend picking one of these up, it sounds fantastic, looks fantastic, and iwannabebobdylan is awesome and communicative throughout the process.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

spleen merchant posted:

Sandberg Califonia VM. Plays like a dream.

Very nice! How do you like that pickup arrangement? I'm thinking about putting a reverse Delano P in my next bass, and the P pickup in yours looks very similar. Does Sandberg do their pickups in house?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

DrChu posted:

It is an acrylic timpani - http://www.vistalites.com/rare/timp.htm

Cool, thanks!

Finally I went out and got some new gear:

A Behringer FCB-1010. Hopefully it can replace my ART X-15. Anybody have one of these and modded it? I'm aware of all of its flaws and got it because it was cheap and there's a mod community out there who've been busy addressing the issues, but I'm curious if anyone can recommend where to start.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Juaguocio posted:

Very nice! How do you like that pickup arrangement? I'm thinking about putting a reverse Delano P in my next bass, and the P pickup in yours looks very similar. Does Sandberg do their pickups in house?

I've got a Delano Xtender P-type (not reversed) in the bridge position of the J/P bass I just built which is maybe closer in sound to a reversed P than a regular P?

It sounds fantastic, with a surprisingly powerful low end. I might end up using it more often than the Nordstrand split J-pickup I have in the neck... and I am not one who has ever found much use for a bridge pickup aside from blending in a touch of sparkle.

It's definitely a hi-fi, detailed, modern-style sound rather than vintage, so I don't really know how it compares to their more conventional fare. I'm really surprised at how thick it sounds, however.

I'll post photos once I get all the fasteners and such the way I like.

edit: added Delano link

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 31, 2011

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002

Handen posted:

A Behringer FCB-1010. Hopefully it can replace my ART X-15. Anybody have one of these and modded it? I'm aware of all of its flaws and got it because it was cheap and there's a mod community out there who've been busy addressing the issues, but I'm curious if anyone can recommend where to start.

FCB-1010 FAQ: https://secure.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/showfaqs.asp

Yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, so, this may be a moronic question, but, like, let me put it out there, and if it's dumb, I'll go away. I've been following this thread mostly as a sort of Christmas catalog of interesting gadgets to lust after, and now it's time to put that all together, since my girlfriend wants to roll down to Guitar Center and buy me a new guitar pedal as a late Christmas gift. But, since she doesn't know gear, she's left it to me to pick---but at the same time, I'm not sure what I'd even want to get that A) won't break the bank and B) would actually be useful in the chain I've got going right now.

So my chain is currently...

Boss TU-2 tuner (does what it says on the tin)
Crybaby Wah (I don't wah much, so it does me fine)
EH Holy Grail reverb (more reverb than I really need since there's also a spring in my amp, mostly used for getting shoegazey)
EH Little Big Muff Pi (you know what that is)
Boss DS-1 distortion - Keeley Mod (like a regular DS-1 but moreso)
EH Electric Mistress Deluxe flange (It flanges, but mostly I use it as kind of a ghetto chorus pedal on low settings)

So I'd figure that the only stuff that's really actively missing from what I've got at hand would be a delay or a proper chorus, but I could be wrong. Anyone got thoughts?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, so, this may be a moronic question, but, like, let me put it out there, and if it's dumb, I'll go away. I've been following this thread mostly as a sort of Christmas catalog of interesting gadgets to lust after, and now it's time to put that all together, since my girlfriend wants to roll down to Guitar Center and buy me a new guitar pedal as a late Christmas gift. But, since she doesn't know gear, she's left it to me to pick---but at the same time, I'm not sure what I'd even want to get that A) won't break the bank and B) would actually be useful in the chain I've got going right now.

So my chain is currently...

Boss TU-2 tuner (does what it says on the tin)
Crybaby Wah (I don't wah much, so it does me fine)
EH Holy Grail reverb (more reverb than I really need since there's also a spring in my amp, mostly used for getting shoegazey)
EH Little Big Muff Pi (you know what that is)
Boss DS-1 distortion - Keeley Mod (like a regular DS-1 but moreso)
EH Electric Mistress Deluxe flange (It flanges, but mostly I use it as kind of a ghetto chorus pedal on low settings)

So I'd figure that the only stuff that's really actively missing from what I've got at hand would be a delay or a proper chorus, but I could be wrong. Anyone got thoughts?

Delay. Every pedalboard needs at LEAST one delay. I would recommend the Boss Giga Delay, or a DD7 if that's too much.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Yarbald posted:

Delay. Every pedalboard needs at LEAST one delay. I would recommend the Boss Giga Delay, or a DD7 if that's too much.

Agreed. I've heard mixed reviews about the Giga, but the DD7 is solid...I have a TC Electronics Nova Delay and it is a beautiful device but pricey. But if you like to get shoegazy than you definitely need a good delay.

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

forever whatever posted:

Agreed. I've heard mixed reviews about the Giga, but the DD7 is solid...I have a TC Electronics Nova Delay and it is a beautiful device but pricey. But if you like to get shoegazy than you definitely need a good delay.

When going for a delay, GO ALL OUT!! Strymon Timeline.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Speaking of delay, what do y'all think about the MXR Carbon Copy? I really, really like the sound of vintage Echoplex units but not the price of them, nor the prospect of maintaining them. Don't even mention Fulltone's offering, either. I asked Ted Leo about the Carbon Copy he's using at a show earlier this year and he said they're "good" but I wanted some more opinions.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

no dad im not gay! posted:

Speaking of delay, what do y'all think about the MXR Carbon Copy? I really, really like the sound of vintage Echoplex units but not the price of them, nor the prospect of maintaining them. Don't even mention Fulltone's offering, either. I asked Ted Leo about the Carbon Copy he's using at a show earlier this year and he said they're "good" but I wanted some more opinions.

I really like the sound of them. They're not really a "tapey" kind of sound though, they're very dark, and in self oscilation quite grindy. My friends one died on him which put me off them a little.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Juaguocio posted:

Sounds great, really versatile and hard to make sound "bad". I'm more familiar with double humbucker equipped basses, but it definitely sounds tasty, wide, modern "p bass" to me when soloed, sounds a bit more traditional in passive (obviously). The MM doesn't sound particularly Musicman-ish soloed though, I guess due to it's position - still sounds great though. The EQ(Glockenklang)is well voiced too and has a passive/active pull switch on the volume.
The Sandberg pickups are made in house, apparently they have a fairly close relationship with Delano as they are both small, local businesses. Some of their models have Delano's, and they're optional on others (Sandberg focuses on custom order instruments). From what I've read, their in house pickups are based on the Delano's but a bit hotter.
Also their customer support is awesome. Their AUS importer drove 2 hours to drop the bass of personally and have a chat about Sandberg.

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 2, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I played around with the Carbon Copy and about four other delays one afternoon at the store, I think unless you are recording for an album and want a certain "sound" of delay, you can find similar performance elsewhere.

I'm probably in a different tier of toy lust than you, but I opted for a $50 deltalab dd1 digital delay. It's technically not analog, but it gets about 90% of the effect for 1/3rd the cost (the "digital" circuit is low enough quality to sound analog(!)). 2 years later and it's still kicking around - I'm using it mostly for harmonica these days so your mileage may vary.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 2, 2012

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

massive spider posted:

I really like the sound of them. They're not really a "tapey" kind of sound though, they're very dark, and in self oscilation quite grindy. My friends one died on him which put me off them a little.

I considered the Malekko delays, specifically the "bright" 600 but those are absurdly expensive these days. I would be using it mostly for self-oscillation and "grindy" sounds right up my alley but I'm not at all knowledgable with regards to delay so what do you mean by "dark" exactly? My ideal tone has a lot of mids and highs so would using the Carbon Copy outside of self-oscillation introduce excess bass?

Hadlock posted:

I played around with the Carbon Copy and about four other delays one afternoon at the store, I think unless you are recording for an album and want a certain "sound" of delay, you can find similar performance elsewhere.

I'm probably in a different tier of toy lust than you, but I opted for a $50 deltalab dd1 digital delay. It's technically not analog, but it gets about 90% of the effect for 1/3rd the cost (the "digital" circuit is low enough quality to sound analog(!)). 2 years later and it's still kicking around - I'm using it mostly for harmonica these days so your mileage may vary.

I've seen a lot of cats using the Carbon Copy above a lot of other pedals, boutique or otherwise. I think only the Boss Digital Delays comes close but I'd like to expand my horizons, y'know? There's so many options out there that I'm experiencing a mixture of excitement and bewildering confusion. I'm not looking to spend more than 150 used or new, though. That's for sure.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 2, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
It looks like Amazon is doing some deep discounts on the Pedaltrain boards, not sure for how long. I'm seeing anywhere from 40% to 60% off. Is it worth it to pull the trigger on one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

no dad im not gay! posted:

I considered the Malekko delays, specifically the "bright" 600 but those are absurdly expensive these days. I would be using it mostly for self-oscillation and "grindy" sounds right up my alley but I'm not at all knowledgable with regards to delay so what do you mean by "dark" exactly? My ideal tone has a lot of mids and highs so would using the Carbon Copy outside of self-oscillation introduce excess bass?

Murky sounding, not a lot of high end frequencies. Thats not the same thing as saying it "adds bass" though just that you shouldn't expect the repeats to be very defined. I like that quality though. Look up the proguitarshop demos on youtube then compare it to something like the EHX memory toy or a tape sim delay.