Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

The XPS series is honestly more "Prosumer" than anything else. The only step up in series on the consumer side from Dell is an Alienware.

Yeah, XPS is still pretty high-end. I'm not super familiar with HP model numbering, but I think they offer their DreamColor IPS on more than just the ultra high-end.

Now we just have to wait for Apple to (maybe) jump on the IPS train when they kick out some Ivy Bridge Macs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
XPS starts at $750 and the cheapest one with 1080p screen is $1040 at the moment (with Sandy Bridge i5, decent nvidia card with optimus, the screen is RGBLED backlit, yada yada). Inspiron is the other Dell consumer branding and that's frankly mostly crap.

It used to be that it went Inspiron -> Studio -> XPS but they scrapped the Studio level and put most of them into XPS and a few into Inspiron as the better models.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
AnandTech: Intel is stopping production on a number of processors in the Clarkdale, Lynnfield, Gulftown, and Sandy Bridge families.

A number of lower-end SB Cores and Pentiums are going bye-bye after being supplanted by SB Celerons and slightly-higher-clocked SKUs in the same family.

A few Clarkdale/Lynnfield chips will stick around as embedded options.

Everything else gets the End-Of-Life in mid 2012.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Just a note that this announcement means that Intel is warning OEMs that they will stop taking orders for those CPUs one year from now, so they'll be around for quite awhile yet.

VR-Zone also has an article about upcoming 35W TDP quad-core mobile Ivy Bridge CPUs. Sandy Bridge quad-cores were only 45W and higher, this should bode well for fitting quad-cores into smaller, less expensive machines.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I just really want a reasonably priced 13.3" IB ultrabook with the HD4000 graphics and 1600x900 resolution (no SSD is ok). Any guesses as to when IB-based ultrabooks should start coming out? Are we just waiting for CES at this point?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CES is probably too early for IB stuff. You might see a few prototypes, but I doubt you'll see many finished products.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Factory Factory posted:

Posting from my ThinkPad T420 with a 1600x900 screen. :smuggo:

A few smaller PC laptops can be found with nice screens. The aforementioned ThinkPad, its Dell Latitude and HP Elitebook equivalents, the Asus Zenbook UX31, Sony S 13.3" and Z series. All of these except the Sony S use Intel HD Graphics, so they're all good candidates for Ivy Bridge even if the CPU performance is the same.

gently caress, the Sony Z can have a 13.3" 1920x1080 screen. That's a crazy laptop.

Look at this scrub with his low-res screen. I've been posting from a T520 with the 1080p screen and SSD for about a week :smug:

On the downside, it was pretty hard to justify a graphics upgrade for general development work so it only has the Intel graphics... I'm kind of sad now that the order didn't get delayed any further until IB was out. Since it looks like the new processors won't be much faster per clock, are there any estimates about graphics performance yet?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mobby_6kl posted:

Look at this scrub with his low-res screen. I've been posting from a T520 with the 1080p screen and SSD for about a week :smug:

I've had a laptop for years that has a 1920x1200 screen. It's the rest of the hardware that's archaic :(

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

I just really want a reasonably priced 13.3" IB ultrabook with the HD4000 graphics and 1600x900 resolution (no SSD is ok). Any guesses as to when IB-based ultrabooks should start coming out? Are we just waiting for CES at this point?

I don't remember where I heard this, but I think I remember hearing late spring/summer 2012.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I've had a laptop for years that has a 1920x1200 screen. It's the rest of the hardware that's archaic :(

At work we have a top-of-the line XPS with a 15" 1920x1200 screen, and 3.4GHz Pentium 4 CPU that we use as a random machine for running test scripts and such.

The omission of "mobile" when describing the Pentium 4 is not an accident.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

movax posted:

At work we have a top-of-the line XPS with a 15" 1920x1200 screen, and 3.4GHz Pentium 4 CPU that we use as a random machine for running test scripts and such.

The omission of "mobile" when describing the Pentium 4 is not an accident.

I remember those, they're hilariously gigantic and heavy. "Semi-portable" would be more apt.

Were those the first ones to have the LEDs that would cycle different colours? :haw:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

priznat posted:

Were those the first ones to have the LEDs that would cycle different colours? :haw:

One of our c-levels recently got an alienware (long story), and I made sure to set the leds to pink before handing it over.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats a 'c' level?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats a 'c' level?

C as in CEO CFO COO CIO etc etc.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats a 'c' level?

Executives. Chief XYZ Officer, but can also apply to directors/Presidents/Vice Presidents.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How many memory channels do the latest Intel mobile CPUs have? 2? 3? Plans for 4?

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Shaocaholica posted:

How many memory channels do the latest Intel mobile CPUs have? 2? 3? Plans for 4?

I was just about to post this very question :catstare: but for the new line of CPUs in general. Because I thought it was funny to go from triple channel back to dual channel from the regular i7s to the SBs.

Also, I have been sitting on my hands waiting for the "New Standards"(TM) since we've been using 1920x1080 rez displays for quite a few years now and I'm waiting for anything higher than DDR3 2000 for memory. Logic being I don't want to get pranked in 2-3 years time and suddenly I have no upgrade capability because my mobo is the old standard and I have an old broke hoopty monitor.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Economy Clown Car posted:

I was just about to post this very question :catstare: but for the new line of CPUs in general. Because I thought it was funny to go from triple channel back to dual channel from the regular i7s to the SBs.
What. No they didn't. Socket 1156 was dual channel, 1155 is dual channel. 1366 was triple channel, 2011 is quad channel.

Also, I have been sitting on my hands waiting for the "New Standards"(TM) since we've been using 1920x1080 rez displays for quite a few years now and I'm waiting for anything higher than DDR3 2000 for memory. Logic being I don't want to get pranked in 2-3 years time and suddenly I have no upgrade capability because my mobo is the old standard and I have an old broke hoopty monitor.
Standard JEDEC DDR3 supports speeds up to 2133 MHz. Anything beyond that will come from DDR4, in 2013 and beyond.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Disgustipated posted:

What. No they didn't. Socket 1156 was dual channel, 1155 is dual channel. 1366 was triple channel, 2011 is quad channel.

What?

Well hell! I feel really dumb now. :downs: thanks for the correction. I have no idea where I got that crap from but I've believed it since the launch of SB :psyduck:

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Memory bandwidth has never been a problem ever since the dual channel chipsets debuted, especially so with todays CPUs with plenty of caches and prefetchers which very purpose is to make the CPU minimize on-demand RAM access as much as possible. In particular, LGA1366 triple-channel was overkill to the max and it still runs as fast in dual-channel mode. Whatever DDR3 2000+ things you see now is basically a marketing ploy to sell people overpriced RAM that does close to nothing over dirt cheap $15 DDR3 1333 sticks.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

we've been using 1920x1080 rez displays for quite a few years now

The "we" there is still a very small minority. Only ~7% of computers have 1920x1080 displays, and even fewer have something higher than that. The closest thing to a "new standard" is 1366x768, which is rapidly becoming the most common resolution (>40% of Windows 7 systems are 1366x768).

Edit: and why do people worry so much about mobo future proofing? Not once in the past decade have I ever felt I could get decent value from upgrading a CPU or motherboard without also upgrading the other.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zhentar posted:

The "we" there is still a very small minority. Only ~7% of computers have 1920x1080 displays, and even fewer have something higher than that. The closest thing to a "new standard" is 1366x768, which is rapidly becoming the most common resolution (>40% of Windows 7 systems are 1366x768).

FWIW, 1920x1XXX is extremely popular in the tech business world and maybe academia as well.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Zhentar posted:

Edit: and why do people worry so much about mobo future proofing? Not once in the past decade have I ever felt I could get decent value from upgrading a CPU or motherboard without also upgrading the other.

That and even in the non neckbeard circles most people who do anything above facebook and email just plug their computer into their HD TV (1920x1080 on a technicality) though, that's ancedotal more than anything on my part.

Also it's not so much a defined worry as me being incredibly cheap. (I can upgrade it for 400 bucks VS 600 bucks)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

That and even in the non neckbeard circles most people who do anything above facebook and email just plug their computer into their HD TV (1920x1080 on a technicality) though, that's ancedotal more than anything on my part.

Also it's not so much a defined worry as me being incredibly cheap. (I can upgrade it for 400 bucks VS 600 bucks)

I have never met anyone that plugged their computer into their HDTV. That's gotta be a niche market, because its such a grand waste of time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Kontradaz posted:

I have never met anyone that plugged their computer into their HDTV. That's gotta be a niche market, because its such a grand waste of time.
It's how my mom uses Netflix and watches long videos. It's also a pretty popular way to watch slideshows, like from vacations. Though these are all people with laptops who can just run an HDMI cable to their LCD TV, I don't know of anyone who would use an HDTV as a monitor for a desktop.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
What a confusing thread title.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

It's how my mom uses Netflix and watches long videos. It's also a pretty popular way to watch slideshows, like from vacations. Though these are all people with laptops who can just run an HDMI cable to their LCD TV, I don't know of anyone who would use an HDTV as a monitor for a desktop.

Best Buy will tell people to buy a desktop and hook it up to just a 1080p TV though, and I've known lots of college-age kids who get a TV as dual purpose monitor and TV for their dorm room.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Install Gentoo posted:

Best Buy will tell people to buy a desktop and hook it up to just a 1080p TV though, and I've known lots of college-age kids who get a TV as dual purpose monitor and TV for their dorm room.

I've been asked to setup things like this and I just try to stress that if they plan on using it for any kind of 'work' work it will most likely give them a headache even if the brightness is adjusted correctly for close up viewing.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Alereon posted:

I've tried it a few times to play games, but never as an actual replacement for my monitor.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I've been asked to setup things like this and I just try to stress that if they plan on using it for any kind of 'work' work it will most likely give them a headache even if the brightness is adjusted correctly for close up viewing.

Yeah, those are same people that complains about flickering 17" CRTs set at 60Hz @ 640x480 in good old days. Most HDTVs are loving terrible for actual desktop use; I don't even understand how anyone is going to find enormous V-shaped subpixels bearable for at viewing anything less than 3 feet away. Bonus points for if the image is distorted for whatever reasons. It's kind of amazing how much poo poo people can tolerate with computers.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

grumperfish posted:

I want to claim that I was hit with an unlucky 2600K (4.6ghz at 1.38V, and 4.7ghz at >1.4+), but, I mean.. it runs at 4.6ghz, which is just ridiculously-fast. I accidentally went to the first page of the Hardware short questions thread earlier (and got really confused before I checked the date :v: ), but looking around at what we were all using in 2006 vs. what's available now at consumer pricing is just mind-boggling.

So for me, even if they were binning for the 2700K's, I really can't complain about the performance of a 4c/8t CPU quietly plugging along at nearly 5ghz.

I think that the 2600k at 4.6ghz @ 1.38v with HT on is pretty much the average. I run the same settings and have to massively increase the vcore to get anything faster that is stable.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It is looking like we'll see ivy bridge motherboards with thunderbolt ports very soon. I do hope intel doesn't arbitrarily lock out thunderbolt support to motherboards running IB CPUs and Panther Point. I'd really like a Panther Point motherboard and keep my 2600k.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

incoherent posted:

It is looking like we'll see ivy bridge motherboards with thunderbolt ports very soon. I do hope intel doesn't arbitrarily lock out thunderbolt support to motherboards running IB CPUs and Panther Point. I'd really like a Panther Point motherboard and keep my 2600k.

I am really pissed about the lack of Thunderbolt devices right now. Apple has been shipping machines with it since like April, and the only things we have available are expensive storage solutions, one video interface, and the Apple Cinema Display. I am dying for the dock that Belkin demoed over the summer that has more USB ports, Firewire 400/800, and a Gigabit Ethernet connection. I'd even settle for just a TB to gigabit adapter for my MBA because the wireless only is killing me.

I hope that whatever issues are causing a lot of delays in these products clears up before TB goes to a wider audience because it is not off to a good start.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mayodreams posted:

I am really pissed about the lack of Thunderbolt devices right now. Apple has been shipping machines with it since like April, and the only things we have available are expensive storage solutions, one video interface, and the Apple Cinema Display. I am dying for the dock that Belkin demoed over the summer that has more USB ports, Firewire 400/800, and a Gigabit Ethernet connection. I'd even settle for just a TB to gigabit adapter for my MBA because the wireless only is killing me.

I hope that whatever issues are causing a lot of delays in these products clears up before TB goes to a wider audience because it is not off to a good start.

I've highlighted why the problem is happening. Only Apple has any Thunderbolt-capable computers at all, unless you count Sony's one laptop that has a port not shaped like the standard Thunderbolt, which also does USB 3.0, and that carries Thunderbolt signal to a special dock.

Asus, Acer, Sony, and Gigabyte might have actual Thunderbolt support starting this spring. HP outright claimed they weren't going to do Thunderbolt for the next few years earlier this year. Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, et al have all neither released any plans to do Thunderbolt at any time, nor have they said they explicitly won't like HP.

So there's exactly one manufacturer with actual Thunderbolt plugs available on their computers, and it's Apple, and it looks like it will be that way until this spring when Thunderbolt will have been out a year. When you also consider the fact that there's not much incentive for peripheral makers to support Thunderbolt when using USB instead works on all Macs in use, let alone all PCs in use - it's no surprise.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Install Gentoo posted:

I've highlighted why the problem is happening. Only Apple has any Thunderbolt-capable computers at all, unless you count Sony's one laptop that has a port not shaped like the standard Thunderbolt, which also does USB 3.0, and that carries Thunderbolt signal to a special dock.

Asus, Acer, Sony, and Gigabyte might have actual Thunderbolt support starting this spring. HP outright claimed they weren't going to do Thunderbolt for the next few years earlier this year. Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, et al have all neither released any plans to do Thunderbolt at any time, nor have they said they explicitly won't like HP.

So there's exactly one manufacturer with actual Thunderbolt plugs available on their computers, and it's Apple, and it looks like it will be that way until this spring when Thunderbolt will have been out a year. When you also consider the fact that there's not much incentive for peripheral makers to support Thunderbolt when using USB instead works on all Macs in use, let alone all PCs in use - it's no surprise.

Right. Firewire 800 essentially the same situation as most PC's do not support it natively, but there are a lot of devices that use it as Mac products.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

I don't think they will, it should appear as another PCI device to the system, so unless they force some driver/BIOS locking, that shouldn't occur. I assume though, that the display capabilities of Thunderbolt would only be leveraged by the integrated GPU, which means it wouldn't work with current 6-series mobos, but newer mobos that run FDI to the TB controller should allow Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge to drive displays over it.

e: ^^ Firewire 800 also has the performance benefit (and security hole) of allowing the external device to utilize DMA, lowering CPU overhead. ExpressCard shares this same benefit on its PCIe interface as well.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I couldn't find a better place for this question so I guess I'll ask here.

I'm upgrading my computer, because my C2D is showing its age. I know this seems like a pretty basic question but I've been out of the loop about this kind of thing for like the past decade (the last time I knew a lot about computer hardware was when the Ti 4600 or whatever it was was the best GPU on the market).

If I don't give the tiniest poo poo about overclocking, there's no reason to get a i5 2500k over a 2500, right? That's the conclusion I got to but I just want to make double sure I'm right before I put down $500+ on new hardware.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If you plan to use the integrated graphics, the 2500K comes with the HD 3000 version, which is more powerful for the rare occasions you might use it for something that requires power. It also supports a few corporate-minded instruction sets that the 2500K does not for market segmentation reasons.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Well, I'm also buying a GTX 560 Ti, so I guess the answer to that is no. The 2500 is $20 cheaper, and $20 is $20, so hey. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

WardeL posted:

I couldn't find a better place for this question so I guess I'll ask here.

I'm upgrading my computer, because my C2D is showing its age. I know this seems like a pretty basic question but I've been out of the loop about this kind of thing for like the past decade (the last time I knew a lot about computer hardware was when the Ti 4600 or whatever it was was the best GPU on the market).

If I don't give the tiniest poo poo about overclocking, there's no reason to get a i5 2500k over a 2500, right? That's the conclusion I got to but I just want to make double sure I'm right before I put down $500+ on new hardware.

There is little reason why you shouldn't overclock Sandy Bridge.