Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm a little surprised that nobody is mentioning Origin's Entity, which is probably the only 2011 release I consistently go back to (I guess Symphony X was pretty good too). Sure, they didn't develop their sound much over Antithesis, but it's infinitely more enjoyable than the majority of technical death metal out there.

I'm pretty sure I listed this earlier (if not then I'm an idiot), but yeah, it was an incredible album, especially it was only recorded with Paul Ryan, Mike Flores and John Longstreth. There's tons of amazing vocal layering, and even hearing (I assume) Mike Flores performing guttural back-ups just really floored me because I never expected to hear those in an Origin song. Both Paul and Mike have really ramped up their technical prowess and it still blows me away.

"Saligia" will never leave any of my playlists; it is the "Ubiquitos," "Portal," "Disease Called Man," and "Staring From The Abyss" of "Entity".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Turk February posted:

I'm pretty sure I listed this earlier (if not then I'm an idiot), but yeah, it was an incredible album, especially it was only recorded with Paul Ryan, Mike Flores and John Longstreth. There's tons of amazing vocal layering, and even hearing (I assume) Mike Flores performing guttural back-ups just really floored me because I never expected to hear those in an Origin song. Both Paul and Mike have really ramped up their technical prowess and it still blows me away.

"Saligia" will never leave any of my playlists; it is the "Ubiquitos," "Portal," "Disease Called Man," and "Staring From The Abyss" of "Entity".

My favorite part of the album is three callbacks to 90s rock/metal: flangers, pitch shifters, and even a Tom Morello-like kill-switch interlude.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

In no particular order, my personal albums of the year.

Absu - Abzu
Dark Castle - Surrender to All Life Beyond Form
Ash Borer - ST
Atriarch - Forever the End
WITTR - Celestial Lineage
Alda- Tahoma
Altar of Plagues - Mammal
Hammer of Misfortune - 17th Street
Loss - Despond
Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Hey guys. I dunno if any of you noticed, what with holiday frenzy, but Earache Records release Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light as a free download on December 24th. The sendit link reached download limit, already. Found it on mediafire, though, if you're not paranoid of .rar files.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I would have to say that my top albums from the year are, in no particular order,

Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Insomnium - One for Sorrow
Ouroboros - Glorification of a Myth
Obscura - Omnivium

I like death metal :frog:

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Hellwuzzat posted:

Hey guys. I dunno if any of you noticed, what with holiday frenzy, but Earache Records release Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light as a free download on December 24th. The sendit link reached download limit, already. Found it on mediafire, though, if you're not paranoid of .rar files.

Thanks. I was pretty bummed that I never got to see Woods live.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hellwuzzat posted:

Hmm, I didn't see it mentioned on the Earache website with my cursory glance. I can of course google for a link but what kind of bitrate is the copy you've got? The Savage Messiah album they were offering for free download is a thoroughly decent 320kbps.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
It's 192. All the songs are about death and suicide (may be an exception or two, but none that I can recall readily). Depressing as gently caress, but I still dig it. That said, I have trouble believing that the accident was, well, an accident.

e: Also, the only mention I found of the free download was from Battle Board. So, that's odd.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 28, 2011

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
What the hell. I read the last few pages, and nobody mentionned Born of Osiris's 2011 album The Discovery? Maybe you could say they would fit better in the *core thread, but really that was their old sound. The new album is REALLY good, I've been listening to it every day for a while; it's extremely progressive, with lots of keyboard goodness, some electronic tracks, just listen to it goddammit.

Also, Gorod released an EP earlier this year, it's called Transcendance and you should get the gently caress out of it.

If you don't know Gorod, they're basically the greatest thing that happened to metal the past few years. This year's EP is probably not that good an introduction to their sound, if you don't know them do yourself a favor and get one of their previous albums first.

This band is so loving good I'm lacking the words to describe it. They have 3 albums before Transcendance; the first, Neurotripsicks, sadly suffers from a not so great sound quality, and it's straight up brutal death metal.

Their next album, Leading Vision, is the first I heard and it's got much heavier riffs and is a lot more catchy too. Process of a new Decline, the third album, is simply a monster of metal and it's loving incredible from start to finish. They gained technicity writing this album and it SHOWS. If you don't like this band you loving suck and have no taste; they have become my favorite band over the course of the last few months and I can'T get enough of them.

This post turned into a publicity for Gorod but whatever. For fans of: The Faceless, Necrophagist, Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, Beneath the Massacre, Meshuggah, you know the drill.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Colonel J posted:

What the hell. I read the last few pages, and nobody mentionned Born of Osiris's 2011 album The Discovery?

Also, Gorod

I listened to a song on youtube off the BoO, "Recreate"...1 minute in I had about enough but I soldiered on, its pretty loving awful.

The only Gorod album I listen to nowadays is Neurotripsicks, the second album wasn't bad, but the third got boring real fast, but to be fair I kinda grew out of tech death at some point I guess...Haven't listened to the EP yet but isn't it half rerecordings of old songs? Sadly when I saw them play at MDF I don't think they played a single song off Neurotripsicks.

I drank with them outside the hotel one of the nights and they were all pretty cool guys. Funniest poo poo...The weekend of MDF 2010 there was also some kind of lacrosse gathering in baltimore, well outside of this hotel we had like 30 metalheads drinking at least and there was one completely plastered lacrosse guy getting furious at some metalheads up on higher level. This guy tried climbing up the wall and everything. At some point he comes up to the guitarist of Gorod(who is out of hte band for health reasons I think) and says something completely innocent, like literally introducing himself. He turns to me with his french accent and goes "...I don't like this, this rear end in a top hat, I think I should kick his rear end", something along those lines. He was furious for like 5 minutes after that for some reason.

For some reason he wanted to do kissy faces in a picture, I don't remember I was pretty hammered
http://i.imgur.com/0rOLy.jpg

As far as albums of the year, poo poo before a few weeks ago I think I only listened to a handful of albums this year, theres a few I havent listened to that I'll probably like like the new Oranssi Pazuzu but these albums owned.

Absu - Abzu
Wormrot - Dirge
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Tombs - Path of Totality
Disma - Towards the Monalith
Cianide - Gods of Death
Black Pyramid - II
The Atlas Moth - An Ache for the Distance

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 29, 2011

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

My 2011 best list has really been honed down to four albums I can't stop listening to: Skeletonwitch, Origin, Hate Eternal and Obscura. There was some spectacular death this year.

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
Yo, what do you do if some jackasses are hardcore dancing and swinging fists and kicks around, screwing up a moshpit? Should you try to be civil and tell them to cut it out, or should you just knock 'em over (if you're bigger than them)?

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Yo, what do you do if some jackasses are hardcore dancing and swinging fists and kicks around, screwing up a moshpit? Should you try to be civil and tell them to cut it out, or should you just knock 'em over (if you're bigger than them)?

Any time I ever see one, some huge guy levels em within seconds.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Venue security is laughing at those fuckers. Seriously some of the lamest people I've seen thus far.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Wyzt posted:

This is an unwritten rule in most clubs I frequent as long as there are some actual metal bands on the bill. If you happen to be the only huge guy in the vicinity, you know what to do.

Watching the hardcore kids getting the poo poo beat out of them during Napalm Death's set was loving hilarious.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 29, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wyzt posted:

When I went to see Carnivore back around '06, there were these little scene kids swinging their fists around an empty venue while the opener played. Some 6'4" dude who looked like he could have been Peter Steele's distant Puerto Rican cousin obviously got annoyed by this, and started circle-pitting around them by himself and had this look of sublime glee on his face as he just started throwing them into each other until they got out of the pit.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Turk February posted:

This is an unwritten rule in most clubs I frequent as long as there are some actual metal bands on the bill. If you happen to be the only huge guy in the vicinity, you know what to do.

Watching the hardcore kids getting the poo poo beat out of them during Napalm Death's set was loving hilarious.

I saw Napalm Death open for Hatebreed, that was fun. I think the worst was Whitechapel sandwiched between two bands I wanted to see, someone decided to pick up another person onto their shoulder and swing them around to kick peoples faces. It was an impressive domino effect and I ended up with about 30 people trying to get in my face until they figured out that face kicking isn't cool.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Are there any sites or blogs out there that do good reviews for a wide array of genres and bands (barely even heard of to Metallica)?

I find that skimming through reviews has been a good way for me to discover new bands.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

Are there any sites or blogs out there that do good reviews for a wide array of genres and bands (barely even heard of to Metallica)?

I find that skimming through reviews has been a good way for me to discover new bands.

Sputnikmusic.com is pretty good for metal

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Kevin Bacon posted:

Yea, I wish there was a site like that for bands going on tour. Someone on here told me about killertours.com but they don't ever get the tiny club/bar shows that I really want to see.

I browse DFFD for doom bands and this thread really helps out a lot, but there really is no centralized area for good tours.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Kevin Bacon posted:

My absolute favorite review blog by a long shot is autothrall's From the Dust Returned blog. He and the rest of the staff (Penny Arcade metal forum mods, I guess?) review an average of roughly three albums a day (1131 reviews in 2011, for instance), covering all genres and all years. I've been introduced to dozens of bands I ended up loving, and his yearly top-25 lists have had some real gems I wouldn't have otherwise discovered. Not only that, but it was recently reorganized and the reviews can be broken down by year, score, and genre if you don't want to read through everything.

I honestly can't recommend it enough.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Kevin Bacon posted:

I definitely second From The Dust Returned; if you want quality that matches the quantity, you can't go wrong with FTDR.

At the risk of sounding like an rear end for self-promotion, the website me and a couple other goons contribute to, Metal Blast, are trying to get a very wide variety of reviews, band interviews, and show reviews out there. I specifically created a monthly feature where I would explore demos, EPs, and splits of relatively unknown bands just for that exact same reason, but believe it or not, there are some real gems that can be found.

Speaking of which, we are in great need of more contributors of all walks of life. Right now we're based in the Netherlands, United States, and South America. Things are beginning to pick up a bit more as we're getting more contacts, and hopefully things keep going upward for us.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
How could I forget Vallenfyre - A Fragile King? This album rules. It's basically a supergroup consisting of At the Gates, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Doom, and features Mully from the pub (watch the video).

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 31, 2011

Phantom Spaceman
Aug 25, 2007

your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong

Optimum Gulps posted:

My absolute favorite review blog by a long shot is autothrall's From the Dust Returned blog. He and the rest of the staff (Penny Arcade metal forum mods, I guess?) review an average of roughly three albums a day (1131 reviews in 2011, for instance), covering all genres and all years. I've been introduced to dozens of bands I ended up loving, and his yearly top-25 lists have had some real gems I wouldn't have otherwise discovered. Not only that, but it was recently reorganized and the reviews can be broken down by year, score, and genre if you don't want to read through everything.

I think 90% of my exposure to metal must be a result of the Penny Arcade metal thread. I remember following the community to last.fm way back in the day and when the posting there eventually died off my consumption of new music dropped to maybe 10% of what it was. Thanks for the awesome link, I'll be checking that site often!

Followed @Metal_Blast on twitter as well.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Luke Jaeger (Sleep Terror) has been releasing new tracks on his youtube account. I used to love the first (and only) Sleep Terror album for its pure speed and brutality, and he's mostly kept the same sound (along with the dumb track names). Also it's cool that he's rocking an 8-string guitar without falling into the same old 'djent' style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3u-j6OouMQ

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Kevin Bacon posted:

heavyblogisheavy.com is an excellent site. All the bloggers did a Farewell 2011 list and I've found quite a few great metal albums from it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Optimum Gulps posted:

Just to clarify, most of the reviews posted there are autothrall's and some of the people from the penny-arcade metal thread will occasionally contribute.

If you want more autothrall lists he also has a bunch over at rateyourmusic.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Optimum Gulps posted:

My absolute favorite review blog by a long shot is autothrall's From the Dust Returned blog.
The Vader album that they listed as their top pick of 2011? Seriously awesome :pcgaming:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
For the people who are yearning for a decent way to hear about shows, if you use last.fm much they compile a pretty comprehensive gig list for you, which includes bands you actually listen to as well as ones that you... might listen to.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Get yourselves some ZOM. Nice, punchy oldschool style death that doesn't feel contrived or overly faux-archaic.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The Perfect Element posted:

For the people who are yearning for a decent way to hear about shows, if you use last.fm much they compile a pretty comprehensive gig list for you, which includes bands you actually listen to as well as ones that you... might listen to.

Songkick does the same thing and even emails you alerts about artists/bands that you track. I found out that Onslaught is playing in Brooklyn in April that way.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
A friend of mine hosts a 2 hour segment on a radio station in Chicago for all things metal. He's also putting them on youtube, he's found a lot of unknowns and helped get them some exposure. If you guys know anyone to recommend you should check him out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8t0mY6GJW0

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I_Like_Me posted:

A friend of mine hosts a 2 hour segment on a radio station in Chicago for all things metal. He's also putting them on youtube, he's found a lot of unknowns and helped get them some exposure. If you guys know anyone to recommend you should check him out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8t0mY6GJW0

When I lived near Philadelphia 94ysp used to have a 2-3 hour show every sunday of only local bands (They probably still do). But, it was straight up nasty raw death metal and all things heavy and it was my first time hearing REAL heavy music. It's nice to see radio stations still do this kinda stuff.

One of the main bands they usually played was Bad Luck 13: Riot Extravaganza, which was a mixture of hardcore/Anal oval office trolling/backyard wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSU3lRiR9gM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78cXGBFNsc

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 5, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

One of the main bands they usually played was Bad Luck 13: Riot Extravaganza, which was a mixture of hardcore/Anal oval office trolling/backyard wrestling.

BL13 shows were the only shows I've ever gotten bloody at.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Hey, BL13. I think I still have "Columbine Alma Mater" on a cassette tape, somewheres. :corsair:

e: Found some funky folk tunes whilst dicking around on Youtube. Skalmold from Iceland and Leshak from Russia. Got my fingers crossed for Skalmold's vocalist working on getting a really brutal voice.

e2: Nah. I take it back. Dude's barbaric bellowing doesn't detract from Skalmold's awesomeness.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 6, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Woah, lots of nostalgia came flooding back.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
Hey guys - does anyone remember an old 80's video that shows the band in their bedroom creating a vinyl album by hand? I remember at one point they microwaved the album to shrink wrap it, and a crappy hand drawn cover turned into the real cover.

I cant remember the song but I remember this video and it's driving me insane!

Wrath252
Jan 5, 2012

Wyzt posted:

My favourite example of this was a guy king hitting a hardcore kid mid-slamdance at a Melbourne Cannibal Corpse show. He went down like a sack of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Swallow the Sun video dropped yesterday, featuring the singer from Nightwish. You guys seen it yet? It's a little different but I dig it.

http://truecultheavymetal.com/blog1.php/2012/01/05/premiere-swallow-the-sun-unveil-the-video-to-cathedral-walls