Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Vanitas is horribly weak to Tornado, although I don't think you have that yet. Did you pick up the Tornado Strike from Enchanted Dominion? It's in a chest you can only get to if you do a Sliding Dash (or Fire Dash) in the air, in the Dungeon room. That helps. Mostly just dodge roll a lot.

According to the OFFICIAL GUIDE, use Zero Gravity and Magnet commands, and of course Shotlocks, the most ridiculously overpowered thing ever.

PS if you think Proud is bad, on Critical your HP is halved :v:

I'll go back and grab that then, probably level up more as well.

Speaking of Shotlock, weere/how can I get more types, I only have the first one (fire shot?) and Meteor.

And Critical would drive me insane, I'm glad I didn't go there... was it even in the US version? As if the Japanese would even play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

I'll go back and grab that then, probably level up more as well.

Speaking of Shotlock, weere/how can I get more types, I only have the first one (fire shot?) and Meteor.

And Critical would drive me insane, I'm glad I didn't go there... was it even in the US version? As if the Japanese would even play it.

Are you serious? The Japanese LOVE ridiculous difficulty. They added Critical into the Final Mix, although it was always in the American version.

You get shotlocks a bunch of ways, sometimes when you combine specific commands they randomly transform into one, also the Mirage Arena has some. And a lot are just found in chests, for example Thunderstorm is in a chest in Palace of Dreams and Absolute Zero is in a chest in Enchanted Dominion. You should be meticulous about picking up chests, some of them have really, really good items. Also keep in mind that the Shotlocks that involve rushing at enemies and physically hitting them are based on attack, and the ones when you shoot stuff are based on magic.

EDIT: So far, Critical has only appeared in KHIIFM, BBS American and FM, and Re:Coded. It better loving be in 3D or I will be mad

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's been a while, but isn't it relatvely easy to off Vanitas with mines?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
For the first few worlds, best shotlock comes from command board.
For all three characters.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
vanitas can be cheesed really really easily by just doing zero gravity -> ignite over and over, honestly a LOT of otherwise cheap as gently caress bosses are weak to ignite

I tend to not do it because I really like fighting him but hey

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Senerio posted:

For the first few worlds, best shotlock comes from command board.
For all three characters.

oh yeah, get Ragnarok off the Command Board Keyblade Board and you will loving own everyone/thing.

EDIT: Mines wreck Vanitas Remnant, and are basically the only way to beat him as Terra or Aqua. Ventus has Tornado which makes the fight laughably easy.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

oh yeah, get Ragnarok off the Command Board Keyblade Board and you will loving own everyone/thing.

EDIT: Mines wreck Vanitas Remnant, and are basically the only way to beat him as Terra or Aqua. Ventus has Tornado which makes the fight laughably easy.

Ragnarok is OP as hell, 2-3 charges obliterated Vanitas, I feel like I cheated, but no matter.

Going into Terra's story now, I really hope by the time I finish this I'll be able to play if not finish Days before 3D comes out, there isn't even a solid US release date yet is there?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

Ragnarok is OP as hell, 2-3 charges obliterated Vanitas, I feel like I cheated, but no matter.

Going into Terra's story now, I really hope by the time I finish this I'll be able to play if not finish Days before 3D comes out, there isn't even a solid US release date yet is there?

If I had to guess, based on previous release schedules, I'd say Sept/Oct. Also don't start Terra's story until you finish Ven's. One at a time now!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If I had to guess, based on previous release schedules, I'd say Sept/Oct. Also don't start Terra's story until you finish Ven's. One at a time now!

Am I missing something? I thought the credits was the end!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

Am I missing something? I thought the credits was the end!

oh drat, I thought you were at the first Vanitas fight :v:

you gotta go back and get all the treasures/stickers/commands and complete the Mirage Arena, come on now man :shepface: But seriously, make sure you have all the Xehanort Reports from the chapter (you'll know if it has a mickey icon next to secret reports) so you can unlock the Final Chapter.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I completely skipped the Command Board junk (because I didn't understand it) and similar with the shotlocks. Was I missing much?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
You were missing grinding a bunch of end-game commands at the beginning of the game, mostly. Also, an adorable Itagaki Street-lite minigame.

I spent more time on the Command Board than I did playing the main game.

e: Square Enix please put the Command Board in all future Kingdom Hearts games.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Schlegel Mach posted:

I can get behind this idea.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Schlegel Mach posted:

I played one round of it and it was a confusing board-gamey mess where I wasn't sure of the end goal whatsoever. BBS was a great game but it had way too many terrible minigames, almost as bad as KH2.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I played one round of it and it was a confusing board-gamey mess where I wasn't sure of the end goal whatsoever. BBS was a great game but it had way too many terrible minigames, almost as bad as KH2.

I'm pretty sure the objective of 'Gather enough CP then return to the goal' is not a very difficult objective to understand.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure the objective of 'Gather enough CP then return to the goal' is not a very difficult objective to understand.

also "if you pass all four checkpoints and get back to start you get a buttload of CP so you should do that" is the other rule.

Also Ice Cream Beat is the best KH minigame every and possibly the best one of anything Square has ever done. It's the only minigame I don't mind doing with all three characters.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also Ice Cream Beat is the best KH minigame every and possibly the best one of anything Square has ever done. It's the only minigame I don't mind doing with all three characters.

Oh jeez don't tell me there's more ice cream in Birth By Sleep? I was about to say we ran them out of business in 385/2 & KH2 but I guess BBS takes place before those games :v:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Pureauthor posted:

But there was the whole placing cards on the floor thing, and then wondering what I even get for it all. I just didn't get it at all.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

But there was the whole placing cards on the floor thing, and then wondering what I even get for it all. I just didn't get it at all.

Any commands you place on squares get CP at the end of the game based on their level. If an opponent lands on it, they lose GP and you gain it, much like Monopoly. If you land on a Bonus spot (with a star) and buy the spot, you keep that command at the end of the game. Pass all four checkpoints (the colored squares) and return to start and you get a bonus based on the number of commands you have on the board.

I basically learned how to play Command Board just by playing it. It seems daunting at first but it really isn't. It's basically a way to level up your commands without having to grind. And you can get some really, really good commands pretty early too, like Focus Block/Barrier (restores Focus when you block, which is amazing for the Arena), Ragnarok and other Shotlocks, and some super Commands like Freeze and some other poo poo

EDIT: Ice Cream Beat is an amazing rhythm game and loving owns so hard I sometimes just pick up BBS and play it because it's so goddamn fun

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 29, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Was there anything you could only get from the Command Board? I never had any trouble grinding up levels on cards for synthesising anyway, and if I was going to grind anything it'd definitely be combat and not Monopoly :geno:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Was there anything you could only get from the Command Board? I never had any trouble grinding up levels on cards for synthesising anyway, and if I was going to grind anything it'd definitely be combat and not Monopoly :geno:

yes, several Shotlocks only appear there, also you have to win at least once on each board to finish the Journal.

Plus, if you wanted to fully complete the Mirage Arena, and get the Ultima Weapon, you had to win once on each board in the Arena (which you can't get the really good commands from, btw, they only appear if you play it from the menu)

Here's a list of the really good commands you can get from Command Board (I'll put a * next to Shotlocks)

Ragnarok*
Focus Block/Barrier
Meteor Shower* (Also a rare melding result)
Lightning Ray* (also a rare melding result)
Limit Storm (Terra)
Photon Charge* (can also be bought in the arena but why bother if you can get it for free?)
Munny Magnet (Aqua)
Deep Freeze
Sacrifice (Terra)
Thunder Roll (Ventus)
Fission Firaga

EDIT: You can buy Bio Barrage (which is really good) from the Arena with medals but you shouldn't since you can make it through melding. (although you have to do a lot of save scumming) In fact, the only Shotlock you can only get with medals is Flame Salvo for Aqua.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Cheers for the info. I don't think I ever used the shotlock thing past the tutorial for it, but I should get around to Journal completion at some point, at least.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Cheers for the info. I don't think I ever used the shotlock thing past the tutorial for it, but I should get around to Journal completion at some point, at least.

Shotlocks are lots of fun and sometimes the little thing that pushes a critical boss fight (in both meanings of the word) from bitter defeat to glorious victory.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Don't some bosses have attacks that are literally impossible to avoid without using a well-timed Shotlock, or am I just lovely and guarding and dodging?

Of course you can just take the hit and cure, but I imagine not using Shotlocks would make a couple of bosses a lot harder because of that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They're broken for most of the storyline bosses because you're invincible while actually firing.

Most/all postgame bosses know how to counter it.

quote:

Don't some bosses have attacks that are literally impossible to avoid without using a well-timed Shotlock, or am I just lovely and guarding and dodging?

The only boss that might fit the bill is Terra vs. Zack, and even then it's doable with proper use of the dash.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Pureauthor posted:

The only boss that might fit the bill is Terra vs. Zack, and even then it's doable with proper use of the dash.

That's the exact boss I was thinking of. I never managed to get the timing right with the dash, so I ended up deciding Shotlocks were the best way to avoid him.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I forgot one more thing about Command Board! It's the only way you can D-Link with Pete.

After Disneytown, there's a chance that Captain Justice or Captain Dark will show up when you land on an event space. (the ones that look like sparkly stars) If you get Justice, he gives you free CP at the end of your turn or will buy panels for you for ridiculously cheap. If someone passes you, they steal him. He stays for like five turns. Captain Dark does the opposite, stealing CP and buying panels for more than they are worth. If he shows up at all, there's like a 20% chance that you will get the Pete D-Link when that game concludes.

The Pete D-Link is alright, it gives you a 2xMunny skill which isn't bad.

btw those of you having problems early on in BBS, using a D-Link fully heals you :ssh:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

btw those of you having problems early on in BBS, using a D-Link fully heals you :ssh:
I never learned this until after I finished Ven's story...

Tiemrhon
Jul 27, 2010
I'm playing through BBS:FM right now. Is there any real trick to Terra's final boss or do I just need to grind more? I'm at level 30 on Proud.

I'm also putting in another vote of confidence for Ice Cream Beat. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just Kingdom Hearts II's Atlantica all over again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tiemrhon posted:

I'm playing through BBS:FM right now. Is there any real trick to Terra's final boss or do I just need to grind more? I'm at level 30 on Proud.

Play defensively, use shotlocks when you get the chance (though the boss can avoid them), block and abuse counter hammer.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Does anybody have any good strategies for beating the Lingering Spirit of Vanitas with Terra? I've managed to do it with Aqua and Ventus, but Terra's dodge ability(slide) is so lovely against bosses especially Vanitas, that I always die. I've been using lots of Mine Shields and MegaPotions to refill health and such like I did with Aqua and Ventus.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well, depending on how dirty you want to fight there's an AI exploit where if you stand behind a rock VLS basically forgets the concept of going around things and attacks you futilely through the the stone.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tiemrhon posted:

I'm also putting in another vote of confidence for Ice Cream Beat. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just Kingdom Hearts II's Atlantica all over again.

To add on to what others have said, you should get the curaga+block fusion, since you heal a certain amount everytime you block an attack. There's one combo that he's really goddamn fond of doing, and you can recover a lot of health by blocking it (and counter at the end).
Also shot locks. I never figured out how to reliably dodge the meteor attack, so I just tried my best to get a max shotlock for all that invincibility.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LemonLimeTime posted:

Does anybody have any good strategies for beating the Lingering Spirit of Vanitas with Terra? I've managed to do it with Aqua and Ventus, but Terra's dodge ability(slide) is so lovely against bosses especially Vanitas, that I always die. I've been using lots of Mine Shields and MegaPotions to refill health and such like I did with Aqua and Ventus.

you can basically just use regular potions because any hits he does to you will reduce you to 1HP.

Also when he runs at you use the Mine line command, he'll run right into it and be bumped up into the air which lets you do an air combo on him. Otherwise basically just dash all the time. (and unequip the secondary dash move, it'll just make you die horribly) Probably equip Chaos Ripper since it makes your attack ridiculous, although I can't remember if you do more damage with the mines or with regular attacks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nahxela posted:

I never figured out how to reliably dodge the meteor attack, so I just tried my best to get a max shotlock for all that invincibility.

Pick a spot, hope no meteors spawn above you, guard. Will work unless they come from odd angles, or from really far away, since your guard will have come down in that time.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

you can basically just use regular potions because any hits he does to you will reduce you to 1HP.

Also when he runs at you use the Mine line command, he'll run right into it and be bumped up into the air which lets you do an air combo on him. Otherwise basically just dash all the time. (and unequip the secondary dash move, it'll just make you die horribly) Probably equip Chaos Ripper since it makes your attack ridiculous, although I can't remember if you do more damage with the mines or with regular attacks.

Mine Line? You mean Mine Shield right? Also when you say secondary dash move do you mean Sonic Impact?

EDIT: Yeah I give up. This is friggin impossible. It's not even fun anymore.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 5, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LemonLimeTime posted:

Mine Line? You mean Mine Shield right? Also when you say secondary dash move do you mean Sonic Impact?

EDIT: Yeah I give up. This is friggin impossible. It's not even fun anymore.

yeah Mine Shield and you can also use Mine Square. Sorry my last playthrough was BBSFM so I forgot the english names :shobon:

It's not impossible, I've done it, it's just really, really hard. Here, this should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tPRl-JyO4

Basically, his shotlock and final finisher are super useful for avoiding damage. And sometimes you can actually hit him with them, too!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 5, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I've been playing the the first game for the first time in something like five/six years.

what happened to this series? does changing the name on the box from squaresoft to square-enix really change that much(bbs is pretty incredible at least!)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The change to Square-Enix brought Nomura and his crew much harder drugs. Which he then proceeded to give to the story team, with the ambition to make the largest clusterfuck of a plot they could.

They succeeded.

That's the only real explanation for what has happended to it.

Well, it doesn't help that nearly every other game has been realeased on a differernt console, and all are required to be played to understand what's going on because they link together and form a massive tangled plot. Oh, and that includes playing all the Japanese only final mixes, and reading the Ultimania. And that's just to make sense of the basic plot.

Considering how simple the plot to the first is, it's amazing how convoluted it's become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This thread convinced me to buy the first game again. It also made me realize I no longer have the sequel. Well, one game at a time I guess.