Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JackDarko posted:

One more question if you don't mind, it doesn't feel cheap? I usually have a problem that when publishers use matte paper they go the cheap route. Thank you for answering by the way.

It doesn't feel cheap to me but then I also didn't have a problem with the paper used in the Fourth World Omnibus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Tato posted:

I'm glad I pre-ordered the new EC archive books on Amazon and didn't send my money directly to Russ Cochran or another site. Every promised release date has come and gone and one of the guys working on the books has stopped posting updates on the Marvel Masterworks board.

I don't doubt that Russ is on the up and up and that the books are eventually coming, but given the shady circumstances that initially killed the EC Archives and Gemstone, they should have waited until they had the books to start selling them.

Really, you are proud you didn't buy directly from Russ Cochran? You are calling out Michael Kronenberg for not voluntarily posting updates that he may or may not have as he is not an employee of GCPress? I can't even believe you posted this.

I'm pretty sure taking pre-orders is a standard business practice and with Russ supplying insanely good EC material for the better part of the last 40 years..... you have nothing to worry about.

According to Russ Cochran's latest newsletter (from November 30) he says:
"The two new Archives books will arrive at my warehouse around December 15." There could have been delays shipping from Asia, a truck driving them to his warehouse could have had its engine fail, any number of things. That is why he said "around December 15."

There are plenty of shady characters in the industry but Russ is absolutely not one of them. Very disappointing you would doubt him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Now that leviathan strikes came out, I can start my Batgirl custom bind.

I think this is the order I'm going with. I sorted it out a few months ago while waiting for Inc #9.

I need to figure out the options I want. The book color will be purple, and gold or yellow for the lettering. I kind of want to do a die-stamped bat symbol but the SBS premium bind is a lot more money and the turnaround is a lot slower

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Now that leviathan strikes came out, I can start my Batgirl custom bind.

I think this is the order I'm going with. I sorted it out a few months ago while waiting for Inc #9.

I need to figure out the options I want. The book color will be purple, and gold or yellow for the lettering. I kind of want to do a die-stamped bat symbol but the SBS premium bind is a lot more money and the turnaround is a lot slower
That's basically what I'm doing, but moving WF up to between 4 and 5 (5 begins a new arc). I'm also not including RR9 as it's just Tim dicking around with Connor. Specifics and a full thread of info here. I'll be going with H&R's eggplant Arrestox and yellow foil, and it will be lovely.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

redbackground posted:

That's basically what I'm doing, but moving WF up to between 4 and 5 (5 begins a new arc). I'm also not including RR9 as it's just Tim dicking around with Connor. Specifics and a full thread of info here. I'll be going with H&R's eggplant Arrestox and yellow foil, and it will be lovely.

Yeah I saw that and second guessed mine a little. I'll adjust the WF placement, I only had it that way since I ordered it by when the books came out. I might leave RR #9 in there since she appears in the book, I haven't decided yet.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking about trying this binding thing. What do you think about this design? Also, which is the best company? Houchen seems great, but I've only looked at three sites. I think I made the spine waaay too wide for a five book bind.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I would seriously recommend just buying the trade off of Amazon rather than paying and putting in the work just to bind those 5 issues.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good call. I'll find something a little more substantial for my first one. I'll be back later with a design for Annihilation: Conquest mega book. Would someone help me with the order on those? So many books.
I could probably leave some out.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 27, 2011

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Tato posted:

I'm glad I pre-ordered the new EC archive books on Amazon and didn't send my money directly to Russ Cochran or another site. Every promised release date has come and gone and one of the guys working on the books has stopped posting updates on the Marvel Masterworks board.

I don't doubt that Russ is on the up and up and that the books are eventually coming, but given the shady circumstances that initially killed the EC Archives and Gemstone, they should have waited until they had the books to start selling them.

Latest Diamond report has them in comic stores 1/4. Along with numerous other changes from DC and Marvel. Very shady all these shifting release dates!

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my simple and clean work up for Annihilation: Conquest.

There will be about a 1" dark blue strip on the bottom, the rest of the blue is folded. It's not to perfect measurements, because I haven't measured the books or even taken out ads blah blah blah, but I think this would be a cool book.

Nova #1-3
Conquest Prologue #1
Nova #4-7
Wraith #1-4
Starlord #1-4
Quasar #1-4
Annihilation: Conquest #1-6

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
FWIW, the two hardcovers contain:
Book One
Prologue
Star-Lord
Quasar
Annihilation Saga (brief BIOS of all the characters)

Book Two
Nova 4-7
Wraith
Annihilation: Conquest

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

jimcunningham posted:

Here's my simple and clean work up for Annihilation: Conquest.

There will be about a 1" dark blue strip on the bottom, the rest of the blue is folded. It's not to perfect measurements, because I haven't measured the books or even taken out ads blah blah blah, but I think this would be a cool book.

Nova #1-3
Conquest Prologue #1
Nova #4-7
Wraith #1-4
Starlord #1-4
Quasar #1-4
Annihilation: Conquest #1-6

Whelp, your graphic design chops are far better than mine. I've stopped adding anything into my books because they always look so bad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wildele, did you ever get your Birds of Prey bind order settled? I figured I should send more than one bind out and I have nearly all of BoP Vol 1 in it's entirety save for a few issues that I could get together easily. I found one order on the binding forums, just curious to see if yours differs from it in any way.

I'm also unsure how to deal with issue eight. I am not cutting up a 70+ dollar book, but I imagine it would be expensive to scan and print the pages. I don't want to omit it from the bind either

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nodoze posted:

Wildele, did you ever get your Birds of Prey bind order settled? I figured I should send more than one bind out and I have nearly all of BoP Vol 1 in it's entirety save for a few issues that I could get together easily. I found one order on the binding forums, just curious to see if yours differs from it in any way.

I'm also unsure how to deal with issue eight. I am not cutting up a 70+ dollar book, but I imagine it would be expensive to scan and print the pages. I don't want to omit it from the bind either

I don't know what issue your talking about, but I'm wanting to do a Gambit book, but I'm not going to cut up my good copy of X-Men 266 so I'm going to find a 4.0 or 5.0 grade for ~$5 and just print a good cover. That's what I would do in your case.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

FWIW, the two hardcovers contain:
Book One
Prologue
Star-Lord
Quasar
Annihilation Saga (brief BIOS of all the characters)

Book Two
Nova 4-7
Wraith
Annihilation: Conquest

Awesome thanks, I don't think I've ever seen the Saga book. I just wanted to throw in a little more with Nova 1-3, might even do his origin story first, cause I'm gay for him.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Whelp, your graphic design chops are far better than mine. I've stopped adding anything into my books because they always look so bad.

I'll help anyone do custom art if they want it. For free, but you might have to check it for measurement specs after I'm done, cause I'm an idiot and new to binding.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

I don't know what issue your talking about, but I'm wanting to do a Gambit book, but I'm not going to cut up my good copy of X-Men 266 so I'm going to find a 4.0 or 5.0 grade for ~$5 and just print a good cover. That's what I would do in your case.

Birds of Prey #8. Most copies go for good money but I was lucky enough to get mine for cheap. I'm not going to cut it up though

jimcunningham posted:

I'll help anyone do custom art if they want it. For free, but you might have to check it for measurement specs after I'm done, cause I'm an idiot and new to binding.

I will definitely take you up on this

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mile High has a copy for $11.70 that's the best I can find. It's not collected in any trades. No scans. That sucks. Do you want a custom cover for Birds of Prey? or something else? I'm bored.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

Mile High has a copy for $11.70 that's the best I can find. It's not collected in any trades. No scans. That sucks. Do you want a custom cover for Birds of Prey? or something else? I'm bored.

Considering doing one for the Stephanie Brown Batgirl bind. I'd do one for the BoP binds too but I'm going to have to break that up into five + volumes because there are about 180 issues including one shots and stuff.

e: I lied there are like maybe 140 issues with one shots but that's still a lot

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 28, 2011

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh full run. Ambitious. I'll work on a few.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just made this. Are you looking for something like this or something minimal like the lovely ones I did earlier?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jimcunningham posted:

Awesome thanks, I don't think I've ever seen the Saga book. I just wanted to throw in a little more with Nova 1-3, might even do his origin story first, cause I'm gay for him.

I'm not sure Saga was an individual issue. They seem to be in every D&A hardcover I've bought (usually recycled information) and may be just for the collections to keep readers up to speed.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh ok. I thought maybe it was kind of like the Defenders or X-Sanction previews type of thing.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

jimcunningham posted:

Oh ok. I thought maybe it was kind of like the Defenders or X-Sanction previews type of thing.

Holy gently caress you're good, dude.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
The Sagas are generally individual single issues, not TPB exclusives. Annihilation Saga and War of Kings Saga (the only other DNA saga-book that I can think of) definitely exist as standalone issues.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

jimcunningham posted:

Because binding seems to be so much more expensive in the UK, I never do anything for the cover or spine, but I used to put title pages in, things like this (obviously not pixelated when I printed it):

If you really are bored enough to help, my next few binds will be:
Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction, volume one (Uncanny X-Men 500-522, Annual 2, Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men Utopia, Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men Exodus, Dark Avengers 7&8, Dark Reign: The List - X-Men and Dark Reign: The Cabal)
Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction, volume two (X-Men Second Coming: Prepare, X-Men Second Coming 1&2, New Mutants 12-14, X-Men Legacy 235-237, X-Force 26-28, Uncanny X-Men: The Heroic Age, Uncanny X-Men 523-534, Cyclops, and Iceman and Angel)
Ultimate X-Men volume two (Ultimate X-Men 34-65 and Annual 1)
2000 AD 2010 Volume One (2000 AD 1650-1671, 2000AD Prog 2010)
2000 AD 2010 Volume Two (2000 AD 1672-1699)
2000 AD 2011 Volume One (2000 AD 1700-1725, 2000AD Prog 2011)
2000 AD 2011 Volume Two (2000 AD 1726-1749)

Feel up to any of those? ;)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure. How's this for Ultimate?

I'm pretty sure it's just Bendis and Vaughn with those artists. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 28, 2011

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
:monocle:
I love you

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That'll be $6000, please. I'll work on the other volumes today and this week, before I go to work.

BTW, I missed out on about 10 years of comics, so which arc is better, WWHulk or Planet Hulk? I'm going to pick one of those up tomorrow probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jimcunningham posted:

That'll be $6000, please. I'll work on the other volumes today and this week, before I go to work.

BTW, I missed out on about 10 years of comics, so which arc is better, WWHulk or Planet Hulk? I'm going to pick one of those up tomorrow probably.

Planet Hulk by a mile.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Did anyone pick up that classic TMNT hardcover? I'm getting an itch for it, but our shop sold the copy we got before I got a chance to flip through it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Did anyone pick up that classic TMNT hardcover? I'm getting an itch for it, but our shop sold the copy we got before I got a chance to flip through it.

It's an excellent package, the paper stock is nice, the art is clean, overall I'd say 4 out of 5. If I had one gripe is the lack of color (YES I KNOW IT WAS B&W). The First collections were very nicely colored and I miss that.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Is there not a custom binding thread for all your bookcover making needs?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are too many things I need to read/buy. After looking at that TMNT book, I probably need it.

KUNZELMAN: No, but I think I'm going to make one in about 2 seconds.

Here's this, the last one posted in this thread.

New Thread for binding stuffs

Don't use this one if you like it, original is higher res than this, pm or email me.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 28, 2011

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

jimcunningham posted:

Sure. How's this for Ultimate?

I'm pretty sure it's just Bendis and Vaughn with those artists. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's right, but I'd correct it to "Vaughan," his actual name.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first spelling mistake I've made since I was 8. My world is shaken.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
For those who have bought the We3 Deluxe Edition, what kind of stuff do the 10 new story pages cover?

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!
What is this year's Christmas haul?

I got:
Dark Avengers OSHC
100 Bullets Vol 1 OSHC
Absolute Sandman Vol 5

I should have asked for the Invincible Library Vol 3 too.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Got Batman: The Black Mirror (which was so awesome that I wanted the hardcover even though I picked it up in singles)
Fables HC Vol 2 (at what point does Fables go downhill? I'm really enjoying it so far)

I really need to go out and pick up Unwritten: Leviathan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
I got (deep breath):
Absolute Sandman 1
Hellboy Library 4
Punisher MAX HC 5
Invincible: Ultimate Collection 6
BPRD Plague of Frogs HC 2
DMZ 2
100 Bullets 5
The Influencing Machine

It was a good haul.

And jimcunningham, I just got the email - thanks! Now I need to prep them. And save up cash. And find a box to ship em in. Ugh.