Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Fury Gagarin posted:

I feel a little embarrassed asking this, since all I've seen online is talk about easy he is, but how do I handle Seath? I keep trying to get behind him so I can whack his tail, but he'll either endlessly spin around in a circle so I can't get to him, or if I wait for him to make a move, he'll call up so many crystals onscreen that my framerate goes to poo poo and get smacked around by either the big tail or one of the smaller ones. I'm clearly doing something wrong, I just can't figure it out.

Seath is one of the easiest bosses, once I figured this out I killed him without taking any damage at all:

-At the start of the fight run towards the crystal at the back of the room and hide behind it with your shield up..
-You'll bait him into attacking you and breaking the crystal which will stun him, now run towards his left tail, and stick to it like glue, keep attacking it, if he moves follow it, concentrate on nothing else....I managed to get him down doing just this and his attacks couldn't reach me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I just ordered this game and I'm really psyched about it! I want to play a warrior but I want to have a good amount of mobility since I like dodging and stuff like that. Which starting class should I choose, what kind of equipment should I use and how should I roughly distribute my stats?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Brace, are you trying to look up any of this poo poo? I hate to rehash something brought up literally days ago but like... yeah.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Oh hey, Gametrailers stopped being retarded for an hour an actually did something right for once.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-role-playing-game-of-the/725239

The comments are pretty hilarious as well.

Sucaballuc
Jun 13, 2003
So....Solaire
I followed all the steps to keep him alive. Ground out enough humanity to open the shortcut, killed the chaos bugs in the antechamber, but as soon as I opened the door he came running out with a sunlight maggot on his head.....:(
Oh, and in my surprise we ended up killing each other at the same time, so I didn't even get his armor set.
Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is killing the centipede demon before finding him, but I never entered LI....so I have no idea. Now he's dead and I don't even get his sweet sunbro armor.

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
Aw crap. I was killed by Shiva in Blighttown while going for the flip ring. Is the ninja anywhere in the game or am I doomed to light armor this play through. :( I have no coven and checked the bottom. No Shiva, just leftover loot from his corpse for some reason.

Edit: oh, pinwheel helm and that ring. I have Havel's. I guess I'll be ok this play through and then go dark wraith in ng+. Still I gotta curse myself out.

BLOG KING fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2011

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Sucaballuc posted:

So....Solaire
I followed all the steps to keep him alive. Ground out enough humanity to open the shortcut, killed the chaos bugs in the antechamber, but as soon as I opened the door he came running out with a sunlight maggot on his head.....:(
Oh, and in my surprise we ended up killing each other at the same time, so I didn't even get his armor set.
Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is killing the centipede demon before finding him, but I never entered LI....so I have no idea. Now he's dead and I don't even get his sweet sunbro armor.

Did you talk to him at the altar in the Burg after you cleared Anor Londo? That might be the only place you missed.

You can check the event order here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Characters

Got my Moonlight Greatsword to +5 (So much for getting Dragon Stone Body). It's pretty great at 41 Int. I managed to nail an invader with the projectile while assisting for O+S. I bet he wasn't expecting losing 3/4's of his health.

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2011

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sucaballuc posted:

So....Solaire

Did you get the Sunlight Maggot, yourself, when you killed all the bugs? If not, it means you didn't get them all. And you have to do that before reaching Lost Izalith (like...literally, the title of the area can never have appeared on screen as if you have entered it).

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

BLOG KING posted:

Aw crap. I was killed by Shiva in Blighttown while going for the flip ring. Is the ninja anywhere in the game or am I doomed to light armor this play through. :( I have no coven and checked the bottom. No Shiva, just leftover loot from his corpse for some reason.

Check up by Avina in the forest. I was once killed by Shiva in Blighttown and he appeared back up there. Not sure if the ninja goes there, or if he even exists in the world after Shiva is dead, but worth a shot.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Any tips for stupid Bed of Chaos boss? I keep getting pushed down a hole or slammed so hard he takes most of my health off :(

Sucaballuc
Jun 13, 2003
Yep spoke to him at the sunlight altar, and killed four chaos bugs in the antechamber, touched the door to open the shortcut (where the last five are) and he immediately came running out shouting about how he finally found the sunlight...wearing the sunlight maggot.
The only encounter I can think of is this one:
- At the Bonfire, on the borders of Lost Izalith, right after the Centipede Demon.
Because after the CD I turned around and went through the shortcut. I thought if I continued on after the CD he would go hollow...which he did anyway. I did speak to Kaathe instead of Frampt. Maybe that fucks him up too?

Oh, and I messed up the Onionbro quest. I thought I had killed all but one, but there was another creature hiding in a corner. After the fight he went to sleep and when I spoke to his daughter she said he had gone off on one last quest...and if he goes hollow she'll kill him again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sucaballuc posted:

Oh, and I messed up the Onionbro quest. I thought I had killed all but one, but there was another creature hiding in a corner. After the fight he went to sleep and when I spoke to his daughter she said he had gone off on one last quest...and if he goes hollow she'll kill him again

You're right on track. Go to Ash Lake.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

MZ posted:

Any tips for stupid Bed of Chaos boss? I keep getting pushed down a hole or slammed so hard he takes most of my health off :(

If it is your first time you will have to do a few suicide runs to get to the orbs, and finally the middle piece. There are videos on youtube of it, and blocking his swipe more than once usually doesn't go well.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Ball Stink posted:

If it is your first time you will have to do a few suicide runs to get to the orbs, and finally the middle piece. There are videos on youtube of it, and blocking his swipe more than once usually doesn't go well.

Yeah I got the Orb on the right but just can't get to the one on the left :( (my left when you're facing the boss).

I get knocked down the hole every time, seriously gently caress this boss. So cheap :(

EDIT: Ok I got the second orb by keeping my distance and using arrows, but I fell down another hole afterwards, anyway I'm getting closer....

MZ fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 29, 2011

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
If you have a bow and some arrows you can just shoot the left orb. No need to have the necessary stats either, it simply needs to be hit to die. Just hug the left wall and continue on until it's impossible to do so (BoC will eventually knock out any path ahead of you). From here, you cannot be hit. Shoot into the mass of vines and you'll end up getting it after around 7-8 shots.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

MZ posted:

I've done Bed of Chaos three times in the last couple of days, twice last night.

My advice is to do the left side first. Save and quit so you restart at the boss fog. Now on the right side you want to trace a path about two-thirds of the way towards the boss from the outside wall so you don't get knocked into a pit. You'll want good stability on your shield too. As you run towards the second orb block the first swipe (the one that comes from your right, the bosses left hand) and roll to avoid the second swipe (you'll want as fast as a roll as you can get, either flip ring or sub-25% equip burden).

Then save and quit again. Back down the ramp.

For the middle you'll want to be on the right a bit to catch the branch. I bait the boss into doing both it's arm swipes up the middle and then go for it as soon as the second arm is done swinging and then run up so I fall onto the branch. Note that you're not safe on this branch. I've been one-shot by her inferno thing as soon as I landed on it so keep moving (just don't get caught by a hand).

All and all... this is my least favorite fight in the game. Of the three times I did it recently (finishing up some alts) only once did I pull it off without dying, once I did it with one death, and another time I think it took me five tries. Even when you know the strategy I think there's a certain amount of luck to it (like getting hit with an inferno as soon as you land on the middle branch, wtf).

The youtube videos are helpful too. Good luck.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Beat it at least, aargh, Dark Souls is great but less of that kind of stuff please From Software...

There's difficult and then there is plain unfair. I didn't like that boss or Lost Izalith itself much at all.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

MZ posted:

Beat it at least, aargh, Dark Souls is great but less of that kind of stuff please From Software...

There's difficult and then there is plain unfair. I didn't like that boss or Lost Izalith itself much at all.

I don't really consider it a boss or a fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ball Stink posted:

I don't really consider it a boss or a fight.

Then what is it? A punishment?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
A brief platforming section at best. :smugdog:

Really, though, I seem to be one of the few that didn't totally hate it. I actually liked the Dragon God in DeS, and would prefer the Bed of Chaos to take place over a similarly large area with the crumbling platforms and slapping hands and all that.

Having to cross back and forth creates an awkward stumbling block and blindly pigeonholes you into one side or the other while you turn around and go the other way. It's a loss of sight and momentum during an event that stresses speed and awareness.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
If you make it through on your first try/without too much trouble, it probably doesn't leave a bad taste. It just became a grind to me, dying once per weakpoint. I didn't like the leadup to that fight either. Lost Izaleth just felt lazy.

For me, I cleared the archer part in Anor Londo without a sweat and it's only in retrospect that I realize how lovely it could have been.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

LI does feel lazy. I think, with the way the city is constructed there, it may have been intended to be similar to Latria 2 with you crossing the Angkor-style minnarets and ascending and descending the city to navigate to a central area, but... it didn't happen. :sigh:

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I enjoyed the scenery past the lava lake, of Izalith itself, but the pacing was just a bit off in general. The living statues were dorky in their inanimate movement. The chaos eaters were hilarious looking too. Like a giant Mario calamari rather than eldritch nightmare.

Bed of Chaos was cool as gently caress lookswise and I liked the reveal of its last weakpoint. It just that the experience before wasn't fun enough to create catharsis in that last stab.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

doomfunk posted:

Really, though, I seem to be one of the few that didn't totally hate it. I actually liked the Dragon God in DeS, and would prefer the Bed of Chaos to take place over a similarly large area with the crumbling platforms and slapping hands and all that.

Having to cross back and forth creates an awkward stumbling block and blindly pigeonholes you into one side or the other while you turn around and go the other way. It's a loss of sight and momentum during an event that stresses speed and awareness.

I guess you are the kind of person entertained by that boss "fight".

On the other hand, I think the Dragon God and the Witch of Izalith are undoubtably the least fun and most frustrating parts of their respective games. Even if I know exactly what to do after 5+ victories, instant death attacks are never fun.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I wouldn't say it's on par with the other fights in the game, in either case. I just think, in both cases, the ideas are sound and could use some refinement, and in both cases there's little to no prepreparation in coaching the player that something of that nature will be coming your way. Even having some crumbling pathways in Izalith before the bossfight, or areas obstructed by crumbling pillars in Stonefang, would've been some training.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

doomfunk posted:

Really, though, I seem to be one of the few that didn't totally hate it. I actually liked the Dragon God in DeS

Well this just spoiled that fight for me. I was looking forward to that too, ughhhhh. It's a good kind of spoiler though for me

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Sorry. :ohdear:

I'll just say this much - knowing sort of kind of what to expect going into it would really, really, really go a long way, versus walking into the area and dying immediately.

The two are very different, so at least there's that. It's similar, though - you're fighting the environment in both contexts.

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC
I'm on my first play through and I'm right up to Gwyn. I'm at SL 71 and the bosses I died to the most were the demon firesage (died 4 times but figured out to NOT get behind him and killed him without losing health my fifth time) and bed of chaos (falling through the floor!). This game was pretty cool and I really enjoyed the fights requiring skill (smough and ornstein). I felt the demon ruins/lost izalith were the sloppiest parts of the game and wish they had been designed better but it wasn't too bad.

Is there anything I should do before I go ahead and kill Gwyn and run through the game again? I hate farming for supplies and souls but if it would really benefit me in NG+ I will. I played through the game without consulting any guides or anything and it was pretty drat difficult. I wish I had looked at some info because I'm running around with a +5 lightning zweihander and I wouldn't have after reading some information about worthwhile weapon upgrades.

Blue Steel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 29, 2011

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If you don't want to farm supplies then just go around and kill all the NPCs before you go into NG, get some Humanity and items from them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kill all the firekeepers for their tasty souls. Your embers will reset too, so do any forging you want want to do before slaying Gwyn.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I must say, this is the only game where I would not mind if they actually did DLC, because that would mean new optional areas.

But it's not going to happen.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

how do I get the skull lantern to erm, emit light?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MZ posted:

how do I get the skull lantern to erm, emit light?

You just guard with it, like with a shield.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Oxxidation posted:

It took me until the end of the tomb of the giants to realize this (when a friend pointed it out to me) :doh:

Suddenly the Tomb of the Giants was in easy mode.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Oxxidation posted:

This was the biggest troll the game ever pulled on me, I must have spent like 20-30 minutes walking around in TotG going "BOY THIS LANTERN SURE WORKS GOOD" before finding out how to make it actually do something.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
The other thing that really surprised me is that the skull lantern can actually block attacks - it's not hugely effective compared to whatever shield you've got by that point, but it can actually reduce damage while you're holding it up.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
Cast light is still way better, and pretty easy to get (as long as you have high enough Int), for going through the Tomb of Giants.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

doomfunk posted:

LI does feel lazy.

"Can we push the on-sale-date forward a month? I haven't done any of Lost Izalith's enemy placement yet. Like, at all. No? drat..."

*copy placeholder enemy, paste paste paste paste paste paste paste paste paste paste paste*

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I just finished my boss guide video for the Iron Golem (part 8 of the series) and it can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiRXu-Bnko

Like my other videos in the series, it tries to fully explain how to beat the boss and uses strategies that revolve around the equipment found in the level so grinding is never required. Remember, it's important to not make suggestions like, "upgrade, get hit less, be better" when giving advice. When I tried to find tips on parts I was stuck on, this was always super frustrating.

The next video will be one of my favorites, Ornstein and Smough. I will be doing both versions of the fight for that one; one with big Orny and one with big Smough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

"Get hit less" and "be better" are the best advice you can give, though. Maybe not for someone who is expecting a thorough breakdown of every attack animation a boss has, I guess. Why not just have someone beat it for you if so :confused:

• Locked thread