Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherdog posted:

When "first getting into MMA" Hughes had five decisions in his first thirty matches.

I meant when I was getting into it and reading about MMA to learn - at the time LNP and Matt Hughes were synonymous it appeared when people talked about W.R.E.A.M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

Not sure the Nog fight counts as that is more seen as a gift robbery than Big Nog winning from his back.

that is part of the point

quote:

When first getting into MMA "Matt Hughes" was synonymous with LNP

The only time I remember him being accused of lay n pray was against Charuto. Which is another example of a time maybe the guy on bottom should've won.

The last high profile guy with a real reputation for lay n pray I can remember is Rashad Evans, but he's reversed that

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

that is part of the point

The only time I remember him being accused of lay n pray was against Charuto. Which is another example of a time maybe the guy on bottom should've won.

He had a pretty lame performance against Chris Lytle before Chris Lytle became Chris Lytle.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Sean sherk was known for lay and pray during his title reign. He would constantly improve position but never really cause damage or go for subs

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 30, 2011

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ah, something I'll notice after watching more fights, I suppose. I thought the way "lay and pray" is brought up, it might have been a thing that actually happened more than almost never.
When people use "Lay 'n' pray" it shouldn't usually be read as the guy on top doing nothing while the guy on the bottom is active. Usually a more accurate reading of it is "smothering top control while doing little damage". The guy on top is doing a good job of controlling his opponent but is not using that advantage to deliver damage, preferring instead to focus on control. So in that situation you usually won't see the guy on the bottom throwing a lot of subs because he's getting controlled too tightly to produce much offense. What you're describing would be something like "hapless top control against active bottom aggression" or some such, there's no real neat term to wrap it up.

(Good fighters usually don't try that many subs from the bottom anyway, they're too busy using their hooks to initiate a scramble and escape back to their feet. See Edgar, Frankie.)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

UFC 141 Salaries posted:

Sean Pierson: $8,000/$8,000
Luis Ramos: $6,000/$6,000

Crossposting from the UFC Dec thread, but are low-tier fighters exclusively contracted to the UFC? 6,000 to show doesn't seem like a lot, even before management's cut and taxes and such; since they have to go 3+ months between fights, I'm wondering how they fill in the gaps between fights as far as making money. I know a lot of guys teach martial arts on the side and there's sponsors, but can low-level UFC fighters fight in other promotions?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No, UFC contracts are exclusive with very few exceptions (they let Houston Alexander take a fight in MFC or something because he needed the money).

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

red19fire posted:

Crossposting from the UFC Dec thread, but are low-tier fighters exclusively contracted to the UFC? 6,000 to show doesn't seem like a lot, even before management's cut and taxes and such; since they have to go 3+ months between fights, I'm wondering how they fill in the gaps between fights as far as making money. I know a lot of guys teach martial arts on the side and there's sponsors, but can low-level UFC fighters fight in other promotions?

Hopefully if a fighter has decent management they are also making money from sponsorships, and many professional fighters also teach between camps.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Don't they also get paid to be sparring partners?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Various writers, fighters, and legal proceedings have also revealed that everyone makes significantly more than their listed guarantee in contractual or discretionary bonuses.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Various writers, fighters, and legal proceedings have also revealed that everyone makes significantly more than their listed guarantee in contractual or discretionary bonuses.

They've got revenue streams, most of them coach on the side, get paid to be training partners of other fighters at their gyms, sponsorship money, seminars, appearance fees, their purse is just a part of what they make year to year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
And, no, they can't just go fight in another org and still be in the UFC.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

Decades posted:

Just watched Dana White's last video blog where Claude Patrick (at least I think it was Patrick) complains about losing a decisions and brings up his sub attempts as a reason he should have won. Which if I recall consisted mostly of holding ebersole in futile guillotines. Even the fighters don't know what's what.

But as we saw ebersole has an iron neck and stated "guillotines are a myth" and therefore should win. Attempting a futile move on such a powerful neck is merely a waste of energy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Quodio Stotes posted:

But as we saw ebersole has an iron neck and stated "guillotines are a myth" and therefore should win. Attempting a futile move on such a powerful neck is merely a waste of energy

Called guillotines a myth on the same night a fighter was put to sleep with one.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

BlindSite posted:

Called guillotines a myth on the same night a fighter was put to sleep with one.

Yea but JJ did it Marcelo style/ Mckenzie style AKA the only real guillotine. Standard guilloties are for scrubs.

Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a guy concede a takedown to go for a guillotine. It's happened like 500 times and the only time it actually worked was for that British lightweight guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 5, 2012

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I'm pretty sure Melvin gullairded himself into one with Nate, and Kang/Belcher ended that way too.

What I'm saying is the best fighters and fights end that way.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I think melvin did it against joe daddy too

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Yea but JJ did it Marcelo style/ Mckenzie style AKA the only real guillotine. Standard guilloties are for scrubs.

Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a guy concede a takedown to go for a guillotine. It's happened like 500 times and the only time it actually worked was for that British lightweight guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

There's more than two variations of a guillotine and his way wasn't overly unique.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I've been finally getting around to watching "the reem" it's really good

is there anything else like it that I should watch?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Watch "The Smashing Machine" if you want to learn about the soul crushing misery that is Mark Kerr's existence. Also Mark Coleman is in there.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Watch "The Smashing Machine" if you want to learn about the soul crushing misery that is Mark Kerr's existence. Also Mark Coleman is in there.

Smashing machine is interesting because it kind of shows why some fighters who you'd think would be great end up going to poo poo. Also it's interesting to see some of the fighters' interactions at the pride GP. Steroid users loving everywhere too.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

How does UFC.TV work?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You pay money and you can watch fights. During the fights you can change angles to anything that the camera crew is looking at (there's generally 4 cageside angles, 1 overhead or wide, and each fighter's corner. You can also do multiple angles simultaneously, though the quality drops a bit and you'll need a good connection to maintain this.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I found an easier and freer way to catch up on the cards I've missed

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 5, 2012

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I found and easier and freer way to catch up on the cards I've missed

please keep in mind once you actually start watching fights you are no longer allowed to make posts in the MMA threads. view fights at your own risk.

unless you're just catching up on old Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg banter during fighter walkouts, then by all means disregard this warning.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
combat sports related question: why was mobn banned and someone buy him a new account please. thank you

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bubba Smith posted:

please keep in mind once you actually start watching fights you are no longer allowed to make posts in the MMA threads. view fights at your own risk.

unless you're just catching up on old Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg banter during fighter walkouts, then by all means disregard this warning.

If I stick to only watch local shows and then claim some Swedish fighters who beat up cans would crush any UFC competition they face but that I prefer they stay in Europe and fight in stuff like KSW and M1, because the UFC is corrupt, can i still post then, or is there a complete ban on watching fights?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DekeThornton posted:

If I stick to only watch local shows and then claim some Swedish fighters who beat up cans would crush any UFC competition they face but that I prefer they stay in Europe and fight in stuff like KSW and M1, because the UFC is corrupt, can i still post then, or is there a complete ban on watching fights?

You should post and if anyone believes you immediately submit an application to be the new M1 global PR rep.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bubba Smith posted:

combat sports related question: why was mobn banned and someone buy him a new account please. thank you

he was fat

e: is fat

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
I've never really seen any non-UFC MMA, so if they haven't competed there, I pretty much have never heard of them. So then, who's the best current non-UFC fighters in each division, and how would they fare in the UFC?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

workinonit posted:

I've never really seen any non-UFC MMA, so if they haven't competed there, I pretty much have never heard of them. So then, who's the best current non-UFC fighters in each division, and how would they fare in the UFC?

fedor; would get mexicuted

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

workinonit posted:

Others here know far more than me, but I'd guess the best outside of the UFC right now tend to be in Strikforce and Bellator. The current champs there would probably do fine in the UFC even if most wouldn't be serious contenders. Read the non UFC MMA thread.

It's also important to keep in mind that the best fighter of all time (Fedor "The Last Emperor" Emilianenko) is not in the UFC, due to his disgust over UFC's and Dana White's corrupt nature, making the UFC heavyweight title completely illegitimate.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

workinonit posted:

This is essentially a "who are the notables in Bellator and Strikeforce?" question. A lot of these fighters haven't faced great competition so it's hard to predict how they would succeed in the UFC.

Gilbert Melendez (155) is probably the best non-UFC fighter out there. He hasn't faced many high quality opponents, but he would at least be a contender in the division. 155 is deep as hell so it's hard to say anything with certainty though. A few months ago you could say the same for Alvarez but he just got beat by a a relative unknown in Chandler. 155 rules in general so it's not necessarily a knock on him.

At heavyweight, Barnett and Cormier are about to face each other to determine the king of the non-UFC heavyweights...but the Strikeforce HW division is folding so expect to see them both fight in the UFC by the end of the year. They could both make waves in the UFC, but that's not saying much because heavyweight sucks rear end.

Lightheavyweight I guess it's a toss up between King Mo and Cavalcante. They could be contenders but they're both relatively new to the sport and haven't faced too many notables between each other with much success. They seem solid though.

185 has Hector Lombard but he hasn't fought anybody of note ever. An unproven commodity with an overblown record. My guess is he'd get blown out of the division in the UFC, but maybe I just don't like him after all the stories I've heard about him and his attitude in the gym. Outside of him you have Jacare who I assumed had a very solid skillset, but just got beat by Rockhold who I think is a pretty mediocre fighter. You also have Tim Kennedy, but I'm pretty sure he's Rockhold's twin brother.

At 170 I guess you could say Ben Askren is the best, but he's green as hell. He's still essentially a wrestler.

Someone is going to have to fill in for me as to 145 and below as those are still developing divisions. That said, my uninformed opinion would be Pat Curran at 145, Bibiano Fernandez at 135, and I have no idea at 125. The divisions are really weak below 155 so anybody could be a title contender with a win or two.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eddie Alvarez spent so much time shaping his eyebrows that the one true God Muhammad (SAW) took away his hair, which goes to show that ultimate fighting outside of the UFC isn't As Real As It Gets

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Joe motherfucking Warren is the greatest featherweight and bantamweight fighter ever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Boregasm posted:

Gilbert Melendez (155) is probably the best non-UFC fighter out there. He hasn't faced many high quality opponents, but he would at least be a contender in the division. 155 is deep as hell so it's hard to say anything with certainty though. A few months ago you could say the same for Alvarez but he just got beat by a a relative unknown in Chandler. 155 rules in general so it's not necessarily a knock on him.

At heavyweight, Barnett and Cormier are about to face each other to determine the king of the non-UFC heavyweights...but the Strikeforce HW division is folding so expect to see them both fight in the UFC by the end of the year. They could both make waves in the UFC, but that's not saying much because heavyweight sucks rear end.

Lightheavyweight I guess it's a toss up between King Mo and Cavalcante. They could be contenders but they're both relatively new to the sport and haven't faced too many notables between each other with much success. They seem solid though.

185 has Hector Lombard but he hasn't fought anybody of note ever. An unproven commodity with an overblown record. My guess is he'd get blown out of the division in the UFC, but maybe I just don't like him after all the stories I've heard about him and his attitude in the gym. Outside of him you have Jacare who I assumed had a very solid skillset, but just got beat by Rockhold who I think is a pretty mediocre fighter. You also have Tim Kennedy, but I'm pretty sure he's Rockhold's twin brother.

At 170 I guess you could say Ben Askren is the best, but he's green as hell. He's still essentially a wrestler.

Excellent post. I like how you left out Gegard Mousasi, good choice.

But I would say Jay Hieron is a pretty decent WW too. He may not be able to hang with the top guys in the UFC but he could beat a Dan Hardy type dude, which goes far in UFC.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tyron Woodley and Tarec Saffedine are pretty good too - they're not elite level guys but they could probably hang around on the Claude Patrick/Daniel Roberts level of welterweights.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

edit: wow whoops meant to say this in the UFC thread lame.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 5, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What are your opinions on close fights where the decision could go either way? Should judges score more 10-10s and allow fights to be draws, or is there another way to make the judging system work to make the decision more obviously match what fans see happening in the cage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What are your opinions on close fights where the decision could go either way? Should judges score more 10-10s and allow fights to be draws, or is there another way to make the judging system work to make the decision more obviously match what fans see happening in the cage?

I think the main problem is the reluctance judges have in awarding anything but 10-9s. A really close round will get the same score as one with a clear winner, while 10-8s will only be awarded to one sided beatdowns. If they gave 10-9s to close rounds, 10-8 to clear winner rounds and 10-7 to beatdowns, it would simplify things. Essentially, it would end up with scoring like the Penn-Fitch fight, which I actually agree with.