Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Rapacity posted:

Is this Royle Family episode new? God drat they lay it on with a trowel. Worst programme I've seen this year. The original couple of series were great with just the right amount of awkwardness. This one is like they showed the first series to the loving Krankies and told them to let loose.

Such a comedown. I missed everything after the first couple and now it seems like an AWFUL parody of itself. I mean, what chav family wouldn't recognise that their tree was brushing the ceiling and that was in the 1st 2 minutes?? and chav is unnecessary in my last sentence because ANY FAMILY WOULD NOTIC... actually, gently caress it. Pure poo poo on a rope.

I went and watched it because I read this yesterday. I'll have to agree. This was a great show for the first couple series and I loved it from the first episode. I hadn't seen it for about a decade and much like you, watching this piece of poo poo was like watching a parody of the original show. It reminded me of the sitcom When The Whistle Blows in Extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Junkenstein posted:

To be fair, this Alan Carr xmas special is pretty entertaining. It's a complete and utter mess. Jedward are a pair of right little cunts.

And they're going to Eurovision again. Because it worked so well the first time. Their funniest appearance was on Buzzcocks though, where they (legit, I think) gave Noel Fielding an anxiety attack.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
Was there a Christmas ghost story this year? Last years Whistle and I'll Come to You was fantastic.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I've never seen Star Wars is back and they have a new host! Joe Brand.

Was Brigstock busy or something? Why can the BBC not find a good place for him :/

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Big Fat Quiz of the Year keeps going worse year by year. The ones 3-4 years ago were really good.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

jyrka posted:

Big Fat Quiz of the Year keeps going worse year by year. The ones 3-4 years ago were really good.

09 was good, that was Brooker and Mitchell, Ross and Brand and the last team was 50% good with Winkleman and Mcintyre (Claudia Winkleman is seriously funny as hell when she gets to cut loose on these programs, maybe that's just me).

However I think if I'd been in charge of last nights one I would have just binned it and started over, jesus. 50% of one team being bad is manageable but not 50% of the entire show.

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011

Sion posted:

I've never seen Star Wars is back and they have a new host! Joe Brand.

Was Brigstock busy or something? Why can the BBC not find a good place for him :/

They didn't like him as host, according to his twitter.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The questions were pretty poo poo as well, I thought.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Yep Jamie Oliver was a wet blanket and it seemed Jimmy Carr has to really force himself to laugh (more than usual) at his responses. And Miranda hart is possibly the least funny female comedian (even more so that Joe Brand)
Hopefully Top Gear in India tonight will make up for a rather lovely christmas offering.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I suppose Jamie Oliver is a bigger draw than Sean Lock.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Did anyone else think the the Harper Seven Born question was going to be about Stephen Harper's parliamentary majority in Canada? No? :suicide:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
there is something deeply childish about wiring up James May's brakes to the horn, but it's made me giggle. And some of the shots in these specials are truly great

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
At the beginning of the top gear special they seemed to be phoning it in, with the Dabbawala stuff especially, but when I saw the banner on the train I knew it could be good and then:
"poo poo FOR YOUR COMPANY :britain:"
nearly gave me a hernia. However when I think of some of the other specials they've done, this feels like the weakest.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Anyone else watching Great Expectations? I'm enjoying it so far.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

my mother has decided to watch Benidorm, and it's some sort of bizarre 'No Country For Old Men' pistache. It's... loving excruciating.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

eating only apples posted:

Anyone else watching Great Expectations? I'm enjoying it so far.

Yes! Ray Winston is a very convincing Magwitch. Also, the amount of child beating in the first episode was incredibly Christmassy!

I watched the Christmas special of Mrs. Brown's Boys after having seen none of the episodes before it. I get it, and I think I like it in the same way I'd like watching fat people fall on ice or fart to the sound of slide whistles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Almost done watching the Inbetweeners Movie, it is quite alright. Whoever compared it to Kevin and Perry Go Large there isn't a :goonsay: big enough for you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Almost done watching the Inbetweeners Movie, it is quite alright. Whoever compared it to Kevin and Perry Go Large there isn't a :goonsay: big enough for you.

It's a surprisingly uplifting film. It helps that they've scaled back the characters to the season 1/2 levels. They actually feel like normal people with exaggerated neuroses instead of the barely functioning incompetents that they became.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's a surprisingly uplifting film. It helps that they've scaled back the characters to the season 1/2 levels. They actually feel like normal people with exaggerated neuroses instead of the barely functioning incompetents that they became.

Which is a relief, as had they were acting like their series 3 selves it would have ended in a depressingly bizzaro suicide pact.

Shame Jay never put his dad in his place though my only complaint TBH.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

my mother has decided to watch Benidorm, and it's some sort of bizarre 'No Country For Old Men' pistache. It's... loving excruciating.
I got the Benidorm complete collection on DVD for Christmas. I'd never heard of it, but a quick google suggested Johnny Vegas was involved, which led me to believe that it might not be completely awful. Are there no redeeming features, or should I just dump it, unwatched?

Is a pistache a cross between a piss-take and a pastiche?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Boi Hole posted:

I got the Benidorm complete collection on DVD for Christmas. I'd never heard of it, but a quick google suggested Johnny Vegas was involved, which led me to believe that it might not be completely awful. Are there no redeeming features, or should I just dump it, unwatched?

In this case it's just a guy dressed as Chigurh who acts evil, nothing more clever than that.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Boi Hole posted:

It's a kind of nut isn't it?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Boi Hole posted:

It's what you get if you drink a mug of urine.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dara O Briain is on iplayer going on about how bad at video games he is again.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rarity posted:

Catching up with Most Annoying People of 2011 on iPlayer. How long has Russell Kane been pretending to be Captain Jack Sparrow?

I just assumed that one day he forgot his own surname, saw Russell Brand's My Booky-Wook, and figured that must be him, so he just took up that look.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Just finished watching Big Fat Quiz. Is it just me, or is David Mitchell trying to become Charlie Brooker?

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Someone has to. I wonder where Brooker left the skin and hair before stepping into his new role of media commentator instead of agitator. Maybe it's under the screenwipe couch.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

LittleBob posted:

Just finished watching Big Fat Quiz. Is it just me, or is David Mitchell trying to become Charlie Brooker?

No but they are both good at moaning about stuff. David mitchell has a series of videos literally called david mitchells soapbox, he is terrible i dont know why everyone fawns over him when he is basically just mark corrigan-lite, without the excruciating embarassing bits. It wouldn't be so bad either but he is on every loving panel show.

At least brooker can seemingly do other things well other than have a bit of a moan about stuff.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
So Mitchell is Prince Phillip without the racism? If so, I'd be inclined to agree.

I think it's a tad unfair, though, to say that the moaning on his Soapbox bits are who he really is. Bullfrog seem to have wanted THAT Mitchell and he is playing the part in what are essentially advertisements.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 30, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

gwaaargh posted:

I watched the Christmas special of Mrs. Brown's Boys after having seen none of the episodes before it. I get it, and I think I like it in the same way I'd like watching fat people fall on ice or fart to the sound of slide whistles.

My dad put on a DVD of this show on Boxing Day and I think you just nailed why I enjoyed it, actually.

I did like that they left the cameraman's cockups in the final cuts of the episodes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKRZBJZeAHs

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 30, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

My dad put on a DVD of this show on Boxing Day and I think you just nailed why I enjoyed it, actually.

I did like that they left the cameraman's cockups in the final cuts of the episodes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKRZBJZeAHs

some of the pre-BBC stuff of Mrs Browns Boys was a lot better. It doesn't have the same polish or breaking of the fourth wall as the current show, but it's probably bleaker/funnier. What's weird is that the first time Mrs Brown appeared, she was played by Anjelica Houston.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charlie Brooker was on the BBC News this morning, talking about the year in news. Don't forget, BBC Four, Tonight, 10.30pm, Newswipe 2011 special.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Local Group Bus posted:

Someone has to. I wonder where Brooker left the skin and hair before stepping into his new role of media commentator instead of agitator. Maybe it's under the screenwipe couch.
It was inevitable really. Marriage to Konnie Huq has mellowed the guy out.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I'm okay with new Brooker. The guy still has stuff to say, except now people will let him on TV to say it. Surely that's a good thing, right? Newswipe and Screenwipe rule, but I've enjoyed some of his new stuff a lot too. That How TV Ruined Your Life was pretty good. He's more mellow, but we'll see tonight if he still has his edge.

to add to the Mitchell discussion, whatever happened to the Bubble? I loved that program, did it get cancelled? I remember there was a guy who uploaded them all to youtube, does anyone have the link? it was something like "The Ball of Air".

Edit: vvv Cheers for the link man, that's me for a few hours now!

meme fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 30, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

meme posted:

to add to the Mitchell discussion, whatever happened to the Bubble? I loved that program, did it get cancelled? I remember there was a guy who uploaded them all to youtube, does anyone have the link? it was something like "The Ball of Air".

I think in the end nobody thought the final result was worth quarantining a trio of comedians for three days.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

I think in the end nobody thought the final result was worth quarantining a trio of comedians for three days.

Germaine Greer criticising Ed Byrne's skills at Call of Duty was worth the price of the entire series.

Popgoesthekitty was the name, meme: http://www.youtube.com/user/popgoesthekitty/videos

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

meme posted:

I think it was cancelled because 10 O'Clock Live happened and Mitchell wasn't able to work on both.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I like how Charlie Brooker looks like a 1960s writer now.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Charlie :allears:

I do watch his stuff and just wish he'd get properly angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Metrication posted:

I like how Charlie Brooker looks like a 1960s writer now.

With that hair he looks more like a middle-aged T4 presenter.