Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

redbackground posted:

For those who have bought the We3 Deluxe Edition, what kind of stuff do the 10 new story pages cover?

I have it, but I don't know exactly which 10 pages they're talking about. There's lot of stuff in the back, mostly sketches and storyboards, character designs, logo designs, and some text describing the process, including how they did the CCTV panels and the spread where the bullets are flying through the guy.

I got my Criminal deluxe HC this week, after a 2.5 week shipping time. I was a little disappointed to find that the corners were a bit bent/dented but otherwise I love this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Anyone else check out the recent "Tales of the Batman/Dark Knight" collections? I got Tales of the Batman: Don Newton for Christmas, and it's pretty swank looking, although it doesn't include any extras--still, 355 pages of previously uncollected material is a good deal. I assume the other ones are just as nice?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

redbackground posted:

For those who have bought the We3 Deluxe Edition, what kind of stuff do the 10 new story pages cover?

There is a little more development of the female scientist character (we see her home life), and some of the crazy panel-bending fight scenes are extended.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

timeandtide posted:

Anyone else check out the recent "Tales of the Batman/Dark Knight" collections? I got Tales of the Batman: Don Newton for Christmas, and it's pretty swank looking, although it doesn't include any extras--still, 355 pages of previously uncollected material is a good deal. I assume the other ones are just as nice?

They are, I've heard bitching about the lack of covers and some of the stories are multi-part but the focus artist did not draw all parts so it can be a bit disjointed. I'm binding my own versions but sorely tempted by these great books just for the art alone!

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Amazon just cancelled my order for Flex Mentallo. Is it sold out (AGAIN?)

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

paulnewmanseyes posted:

No out yet, AFAIK

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Glenn Danzig posted:

No out yet, AFAIK

It's been pushed back again. I think mid-February is the latest date for it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Look into that, as I don't know why they'd cancel it. I got an email delaying it again to 3/6/12...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Look into that, as I don't know why they'd cancel it. I got an email delaying it again to 3/6/12...

Diamond Retailer site says new date TBA...

we're boned.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Diamond Retailer site says new date TBA...

The MMW messageboard says they got a Diamond update a week or so ago dating it as mid-Feb (can't remember the exact date). Have you had something more recent?

edit: amazon dates are always behind DM dates so mid-Feb for DM and early March for Amazon sounds about right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

The MMW messageboard says they got a Diamond update a week or so ago dating it as mid-Feb (can't remember the exact date). Have you had something more recent?

edit: amazon dates are always behind DM dates so mid-Feb for DM and early March for Amazon sounds about right.

Well I looked and now it's gone so who knows when the gently caress it's coming out.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well I looked and now it's gone so who knows when the gently caress it's coming out.

They probably asked Frank Quitely to do a new cover so that's got to add at least a year or three onto it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's back at like $15.00

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Why is everyone going nuts over this book? Should I pick it up knowing nothing about the story?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Why is everyone going nuts over this book? Should I pick it up knowing nothing about the story?

Do you like Grant Morrison when he's doing his comics meta-commentary stuff? If so then you absolutely should get it. It's a distillation of pure G-Mo. It's arguably his best work and it's got gorgeous Quitely art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

Do you like Grant Morrison when he's doing his comics meta-commentary stuff? If so then you absolutely should get it. It's a distillation of pure G-Mo. It's arguably his best work and it's got gorgeous Quitely art.

I think you're overstating how good it is. Yes it's a fantastic book but 50% of the hype is coming out of the fact that it's been impossible to get a physical copy since it was originally published.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I think you're overstating how good it is. Yes it's a fantastic book but 50% of the hype is coming out of the fact that it's been impossible to get a physical copy since it was originally published.

that's easily part of the hype. I don't know that I'd say it's half. It really is the best thesis Morrison's got on his thoughts on comics. If you like any Morrison, you should probably give Flex a shot.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Flex is a work on par with Watchmen, full stop.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
My Christmas haul was pretty nice. Astonishing X-Men Omnibus, X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song OSHC, Secret Wars Omnibus, Transformers IDW Collection Vol.1 & 2 (Gotta love me some oversized Don Figueroa art in Vol. 2).

I'm a little peeved about the New X-Men reprint, mostly because I snagged a Near Mint copy at a yard sale for $80 a few months back >_< But collectors rage aside, I'm happy everyone will be able to get it for under $250 now.

The Secret Warriors and Remender's Punisher Omni's are already Preordered. As well as S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Human Machine and the X-Men: Operation Zero Tolerance OSHC.

Oh, and I've also conned some friends into getting me the Avengers Crossing Omnibus as a joint Birthday gift. So I'll have someone else to blame for that one.

Torn on getting the Infinite Crisis Omnibus or binding my singles, I have almost every issue that was retroactively labled as build up for that story (as far back as Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day #1) and most of the non-red skies tie-ins. It'd likely take several volumes to bind all of that though...

Also, if DC is willing to make these massive Omnibi now, who wants to bet we'll see a 52 omni within the next year? I'd double dip for that. I loved 52.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

d00gZ posted:

Flex is a work on par with Watchmen, full stop.

Had anyone else said this I would have disagreed but its hard to argue with you about the Marist of Morrison comics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kind of have to agree with the majority here. Flex is one of my favourite comic stories ever. It's just perfect distilled Morrison in 4 amazing issues. Obviously a lot of the allure surrounding it helps build up the hype somewhat but on around my fourth or fifth reread it finally all clicked and made sense and I just love the gently caress out of it.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

The Masterworks messageboard is saying that, as of the latest diamond update, Flex has now slipped to Feb 29th. The number of times that this book has slipped down the schedules is giving me a bad feeling inside.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Keep in mind the excellent Peter Doherty is remastering and recoloring the entire comic, so the delays aren't ridiculous.

EDIT: The colorist, not the crackhead and horse addict

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

d00gZ posted:

Keep in mind the excellent Peter Doherty is remastering and recoloring the entire comic, so the delays aren't ridiculous.

You're probably right but this is a pattern that I've seen far too many times, especially from DC. Slip, slip, slip, boom!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
EC Archives resume Wednesday! I cannot wait!

The Haunt of Fear Volume 1 and The Vault of Horror Volume 2.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

d00gZ posted:

Recoloring seems a bit unnecessary, doesn't it? I love the recoloring done on Watchmen, but that was from an era where backgrounds were all one color and shading was a bit poo poo. I don't remember Flex having those problems. Were there specific corrections someone wanted to make?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

StumblyWumbly posted:

Recoloring seems a bit unnecessary, doesn't it? I love the recoloring done on Watchmen, but that was from an era where backgrounds were all one color and shading was a bit poo poo. I don't remember Flex having those problems. Were there specific corrections someone wanted to make?

That was exactly printing in the days of Flex. It's being redone to have less flat color (which kinda worked) and more of a We3/All Star Superman look.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

That was exactly printing in the days of Flex. It's being redone to have less flat color (which kinda worked) and more of a We3/All Star Superman look.

I wish Jamie Grant would just color everything Quitely does. It's not that others are bad, but he handled rear end with beauty.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Shell heads!

Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man Deluxe Edition v2 is going to be available January 4th. $19.24 on CheapGraphicNovels. They're taking pre-orders as of today.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
$18.99 on Thwipster:
http://www.thwipster.com/products/invincible-iron-man-omnibus-vol-2

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
I got the email from Thwipster a couple hours after I purchased it from CGN and was kicking myself. Oh well. It's 75 cents.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Hit up a local used book store during my lunch break and found a Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment hardcover for six measly dollars. :feelsgood:

Inkslinger
May 23, 2001

redbackground posted:

Hit up a local used book store during my lunch break and found a Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment hardcover for six measly dollars. :feelsgood:

Wow. I had no idea that had ever come out in hardcover. I now have something to quest after.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
so, I haven't read Fraction's Iron Man since the last giant hardcover came out. I assume it's just as good and I should get the second volume?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

so, I haven't read Fraction's Iron Man since the last giant hardcover came out. I assume it's just as good and I should get the second volume?

Yes, I was just reading it on the can earlier and it's every bit as good as the first volume if not better.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The Resilient stuff drags forever but IIM 500 and the Annual are some of my favorite Iron Man Comics.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Is the Parker Martini Edition out of print? I can't buy it at amazon and i'd just like to know before I spend more to get somewhere else.

Also has anybody really been impressed with a collection they recently got?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

JackDarko posted:

Is the Parker Martini Edition out of print? I can't buy it at amazon and i'd just like to know before I spend more to get somewhere else.

Also has anybody really been impressed with a collection they recently got?

I just got Chew Omnivore vol 2, and that's still really good. I like the printed covers instead of dust jackets that Chew and Locke & Key have. Also helps that they're excellent stories.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

JackDarko posted:

Buy it on amazon.ca

edit: It is under review, not OOP. Big difference. Wait a week.

wildlele fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

wildlele posted:

Buy it on amazon.ca

edit: It is under review, not OOP. Big difference. Wait a week.

Yeah it's just been shown to happen that an item under review ends up being no longer available on amazon after a while. It's happened with other books, X-statix went through the same thing when they ran out of copies the first time.

Thanks.