Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Ohvee posted:

For the longest time I was only aware of SDA, but lately I've just been streaming siglemic's stream on my phone for hours at work.

I noticed that in the chatroom that there seems to be some animosity between the various speedrun sites. Mostly stemming from the huge (and constant) backlog of runs on SDA. Is that pretty much the main reason?

I wouldn't really call it animosity between SRL/SDA since many SDA members complain about the same thing. Most actual rivalry-based hate is directed towards Twin Galaxies for taking even longer and for having asinine anti-glitch rules. You can just go into big streams and say 'twin GAlaxeys' and there's a decent chance people will start flaming some invisible referee. I don't get the hate since TG doesn't even consider itself "a speedrun site", although I have my own reasons for hating them -- they verified an impossible Snowdream score into the SSX leaderboards, which was clearly a score from SSX Tricky under the same course name, and haven't responded to any emails I sent them asking to fix it. My 15 year old self was really proud of that 617k damnit :argh:

Anyways, here's siglemic's new 120 record if anyone missed the stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqGL53OsOfY

Also here's a new UMK3 playaround video with a ton of golden moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NZpzgbQpc

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

furry drum circle posted:

Also here's a new UMK3 playaround video with a ton of golden moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NZpzgbQpc

Not entirely sure what I just saw but my god was it fun to watch.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc practicing CV series for marathon over at Mecha_Richter's place.

http://www.twitch.tv/mecha_richter/

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Cosmo about to beat his new MST WR barring any freak game freezes (oh god hope that doesn't happen again)

2:31:45!! (down from 2:33:08)

Third world record in four days :stare:

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 30, 2011

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Don't worry. He's just setting himself up for a bigger fall when nero publicly announces his next project with the release of his 02:29:53 MST video.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Trihex just broke the Yoshi's Island 100% world record (and the 'claimed' no-video Japanese record) with a 3:12:11. There's still a good number of major mistakes in there, but still a good run.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
https://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Cosmo is on pace to beat his MST record yet again. He just completed the Fire Temple around 40 seconds ahead of his current best at the time of this post.

Botched Ganondorf fight led to a virtual tie, maybe next time.

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 31, 2011

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SeedyV posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Cosmo is on pace to beat his MST record yet again. He just completed the Fire Temple around 40 seconds ahead of his current best at the time of this post.

Botched Ganondorf fight led to a virtual tie, maybe next time.

Looks like they're gonna do a 4 way race now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What does MST and RBA mean in regards to running OoT?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Liku posted:

What does MST and RBA mean in regards to running OoT?

MST stands for "Medallions, Stones, and Trials", the main category that Cosmo runs. Basically, you have to enter the blue warp for all of the dungeons and complete all six trials at Ganon's Castle, then finish the game.

RBA stands for "Reverse Bottle Adventure", a ridiculously complex memory-editing trick that allows for all sorts of shenanigans. This page at ZeldaSpeedRuns has way more info than you'd ever need unless you're trying it yourself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kyrosiris posted:

MST stands for "Medallions, Stones, and Trials", the main category that Cosmo runs. Basically, you have to enter the blue warp for all of the dungeons and complete all six trials at Ganon's Castle, then finish the game.

RBA stands for "Reverse Bottle Adventure", a ridiculously complex memory-editing trick that allows for all sorts of shenanigans. This page at ZeldaSpeedRuns has way more info than you'd ever need unless you're trying it yourself.

Jesus that's intense, but pretty amazing that someone figured this all out.

Did Siglemic's commentated run ever get posted anywhere?

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
SDA was updated again yesterday. They finally made the official releases for the Quake Done Quickest runs, including the demo packs that you can play with Quake's -game command. There is also a single-segment run of Pokemon blue in 2 hours, 4 minutes, as well as two SM64 runs that are already out of date.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Not defending SDA's awful verification here, but the SM64 runs are probably still good 'demos' of 'speed' for someone interested in the speedruns. They've only been beaten by a few minutes (not a lot for their length), so it's mostly minor optimization at this point, right?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Even when a game is verified it still takes an average of 7 months to get posted to SDA. Highly competitive games like that are always obsolete in SDA's records.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Former Human posted:

an average of 7 months to get posted to SDA.
:psyduck: What in the everloving christ? That sounds like a mind-blowing management or technical trainwreck, likely both. Is their whole CMS a single dude writing static html in notepad.exe?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

It's a mix of bad verification (takes way too long), constant backlog, and yes, it's all hardcoded HTML.

In other news, Carl_sagan, Yoshi's Island speedrunner/TASer just beat Trihex's world record by about five minutes with a 3:07:45. Just finished the stream, so there probably won't be a video up for a little while.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm not sure how this has gone unreported in here, but if you didn't already know, andrewg has beaten his own unbeatable Super Mario Bros world record. Again.

It now sits at 4:58, one godforsaken second short of the tool-assisted record. Let that sink in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure that at this point he's going to get Adam Jensen-style augmentations to increase his speedrunning skill to the point where "tool assisted" for him will mean "used own hands". After that we will reach the event horizon of speedruns as we know it.

quick edit: Holy poo poo, this run is basically flawless. How many hours of practice did this take him? Do I even want to know? :psyduck:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SMB speedruns are dependent on this rule where every X number of frames you can go slightly faster. This was demonstrated with the NESbot failing in the last marathon that had it.

So does he use luck to get the frame rule right or can he actually tell the difference between every 20 or so frames?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea nobody is emulating that run ever again, that was insanely precise, almost machine like in how perfect it was, good lord.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i guess he could sync a metronome at 180?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I'm deriving more entertainment than I perhaps should from listening to OriginalDib's impotent bitching in the comments section of that video.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are there any good sites out there for speedruns of DOS games? SDA's selection is really small, probably because their rules about emulation (official emulators only) interact badly with DOS games (the only official DOS emulator out there can't actually run most programs).

I ask partly because I'm half-seriously planning a System Shock speedrun, but mainly because I was wondering if there were any speedruns of classic Apogee platformers out there.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

ToxicFrog posted:

I was wondering if there were any speedruns of classic Apogee platformers out there.
Cosmo's Commander Keen IV run is pretty sick. I can't see it on the site but I think he's running it during the marathon if you want to check the schedule.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That run is so good you could pass it off as the TAS and I don't think anyone is picking up the difference. That's insanely perfect.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Somebody should overlay it with the TAS to so how they match up.

How do they verify runs anyway? How do they know things aren't done on emulators or anything?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...2=9&authorName=

Hmmm...I can't seem to get the timing perfect, unlike andrewg amirite

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ToxicFrog posted:

Are there any good sites out there for speedruns of DOS games? SDA's selection is really small, probably because their rules about emulation (official emulators only) interact badly with DOS games (the only official DOS emulator out there can't actually run most programs).

I ask partly because I'm half-seriously planning a System Shock speedrun, but mainly because I was wondering if there were any speedruns of classic Apogee platformers out there.

The rules are sort of in flux right now when it comes to DOSBox, right now the consensus seems to be "if there's an official release that uses dosbox and you can film yourself playing in addition to the game footage", but the second part might not stick. Nothing's official yet, of course.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm almost considering turning in early on Thursday to be awake in time for Awful Games Done Quick, now that I see that it doesn't start until 2AM EST on Friday.

You can keep your spindashes and mega busters, I want to see the speedy adventures of Nasir and his butter knife.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Doc Hawkins posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...2=9&authorName=

Hmmm...I can't seem to get the timing perfect, unlike andrewg amirite

The guy in the TAS could've significantly improved the run using some of Andrew's tricks - the wall jump up the pipe in world 8 alone saved so much time in Andrew's run.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

hieronymus posted:

The guy in the TAS could've significantly improved the run using some of Andrew's tricks - the wall jump up the pipe in world 8 alone saved so much time in Andrew's run.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the live run that isn't in the TAS run. There are also some other tricks in the TAS run that are pretty much impossible to do in real time, like the 8-4 "moonwalk". Note that the TAS is actually significantly faster than the RTA - TAS timing begins at power on, not when the player gains control of Mario.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9p59U5OKE

edit: oh looks like the moonwalk isn't used in this version

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 4, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

~6 1/2 hours until the SDA marathon starts!

Here's the schedule as a reminder. I don't know what most of today's runs will be like but Tri-Hex's Yoshi's Story needs to be seen if you haven't already.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

iastudent posted:

Here's the schedule as a reminder. I don't know what most of today's runs will be like but Tri-Hex's Yoshi's Story needs to be seen if you haven't already.

I'm so sad I'm going to miss it due to sleeping for work (graveyard shift). :( I'll have to catch the recording after, Tri-hex's runs are always a thing of beauty.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I can't wait to get my Lunk on.

Oh man there are 5 Zelda games being played, in a truly perfect world the filenames would be Lank, Lenk, Link, Lonk, and Lunk.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Dr. Dos posted:

I can't wait to get my Lunk on.

Oh man there are 5 Zelda games being played, in a truly perfect world the filenames would be Lank, Lenk, Link, Lonk, and Lunk.
And sometimes Lynk. :v:

I'm pretty hype about this. Gonna watch as much as possible.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm so sad I'm going to miss it due to sleeping for work (graveyard shift). :( I'll have to catch the recording after, Tri-hex's runs are always a thing of beauty.

Same here. Hopefully they dont have a million people talking over it like during Trihex's last marathon run. Really looking forward to DX:HR and System Shock 2, and the Earthbound glitch run, too.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Woa, wait what? Today? Starting with a Psychonauts run? Hell loving yes.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Is this worth its own thread, do you think? I could work a good OP up.

Or at least, maybe it'd be an idea for peaches to PM a mod and get the title changed temporarily, and edit a link to the marathon in the OP. Awareness, yo! We need as many people available to watch trihex dominate Yoshi's Island as possible.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm ready to watch that Human Revolution run. I loved the game and am interested in seeing someone absolutely destroy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

iastudent posted:

SDA seems borked at the moment. Yoshi's Story was such a cute game. Way too easy, but it was adorable as hell. Also, back then, I thought the Yoshis were singing "The apples" instead of "Be careful." To be fair, their singing is pretty incomprehensible.

• Locked thread