Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Missing a brakepad on 20-30 cars would be the unrealistic long term goal of a GM plant in the 70s v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Cygni posted:

Missing a brakepad on 20-30 cars would be the unrealistic long term goal of a GM plant in the 70s v:shobon:v

But you're missing the point that it would be UHMURRRICAN made and therefor superior even without the ability to stop properly.

You terrorist you.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

Recalls on cars aren't really newsworthy nowadays unless you manage to ship thousands of cars over 6 months and forget to fit brake pads.. Oh GM. :eng99:

The article specifically states that '20-30' were shipped without brake pads. Not thousands.

What's really shocking is that they actually noticed...

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Bondematt posted:

But you're missing the point that it would be UHMURRRICAN made and therefor superior even without the ability to stop properly.

You terrorist you.

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that when combined with heavy braking, the impact of an airbag on the head damages between a 100 and 300 brain cells. And if you bought a Sonic you don't have much more than that to begin with, so the missing brake pads were obviously a safety feature rather than a mistake.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Root Bear posted:

:aaa:

Seldom has the line between dedicated and suicidal been so blurred. :downsbravo:
Rarely have I liked youtube comments, but

quote:

Co driver: Keep going! I think we can outrun it!
Is basically what I think when I see that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who wants to see some idiots? Course you do! Ladies and Gentlemen, the North of England retarded vehicle recovery finalists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw

:gonk: :britain:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

InitialDave posted:

Who wants to see some idiots? Course you do! Ladies and Gentlemen, the North of England retarded vehicle recovery finalists:

Ugh. I kept waiting on something to snap and it going down like what happened to the protagonist in Men of Honor :gonk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Throatwarbler posted:

Recalls on cars aren't really newsworthy nowadays unless you manage to ship thousands of cars over 6 months and forget to fit brake pads.. Oh GM. :eng99:

What could could possibly go wrong with their response.

quote:

Customers are going to start receiving letters from dealers "beginning January 14th" asking them to get their car inspected.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
This is what happens when you load all your heavy steel on the right and all your empty cardboard packaging on the left.

...and try to make the yellow light to turn left.

(I had to make the light, myself [7 second light] so I couldn't get any closer pics]

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.

InitialDave posted:

I like how they all hang around while that steel braided wire is pulled under tension, but they make sure to "stand well back" when the tow rope is attached.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

nm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnxWDp7mFE
Fastest time of the day too.
Day 2 also had some gems, such as this Alfa driver's response to an overheating ECU. :italy:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

parrhesia posted:

Day 2 also had some gems, such as this Alfa driver's response to an overheating ECU. :italy:

My god that's ingenious!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Water and Italian electrics, what could go wrong?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
hahaha, I love that lamborghini driver's explanation towards the end of the day 2 video:

Jason White posted:

...we could actually feel the physical heat from the fire. I said to John "Well, it's a big fire, what do you want to do, should we stop and put it out?" and he said "No, lets keep going up to the top; there's more chance of people up there with fire extinguishers."

The footage is going to go far on Youtube, I'm pretty sure. I reckon the sponsors will be pretty happy to pay for the damage to the car, which should be a pretty good spot for the amount of coverage it will get.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

That poor winch. It's crying.

This is how we do it in America.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 31, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Not particularly mechanical, but I had this spectacular tire failure coming up I-75 by my house a couple nights ago.

Oh, well, that's bad, but it's not that...

Oh...

The car is now grounded until I replace the rest of the tires, they're all pretty worn out. That's what I get for trying to push old tires as long as possible.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Not particularly mechanical, but I had this spectacular tire failure coming up I-75 by my house a couple nights ago.

The car is now grounded until I replace the rest of the tires, they're all pretty worn out. That's what I get for trying to push old tires as long as possible.
How long were you driving on it flat before the sidewall failed like that?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VikingSkull posted:

I didn't even know they made 2wd Broncos. That older one that does the pulling is pretty amazing.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

grover posted:

How long were you driving on it flat before the sidewall failed like that?

A mile maybe. Dark, late, and in Detroit. I was trying to get somewhere safe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just demolished a steel wheel today while 4-wheeling.

It was more of a "horrible give-a-poo poo failure" though, the drat rim was worthless and the tire was dry rotted to hell and constantly leaking. It came off the rim when I was halfway up an obstacle and I simply didn't give enough of a gently caress to back down and swap it for my spare since it was junk anyways.

made it without anyone winching or strapping me out, problem? :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

VikingSkull posted:

They went through all the trouble of building up that truck and left it with open differentials? :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

EightBit posted:

They went through all the trouble of building up that truck and left it with open differentials? :psyduck:

It wasn't much trouble, they were obviously drunk during the entire build.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oh...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

Eh, just throw a big block at it. Half of them weren't wearing shoes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

VikingSkull posted:

Eh, just throw a big block at it. Half of them weren't wearing shoes.

They're possibly too ignorant to know that opening up that huge engine and having one tire on each axle just spinning uselessly is massively embarrassing. A TJ Rubicon would have pulled that Bronco out in one try.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
that last video only shows the reasons one should not breed with family members. Nothing of value relating to offroad vehicle recovery is shown.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

that last video only shows the reasons one should not breed with family members. Nothing of value relating to offroad vehicle recovery is shown.

New thread title: Post pictures of horrible inbreeding failures rednecks.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
So I let my wheel bearing get so bad that when the mechanic took the wheel off to change it today, the rim itself was so hot it burned him.

Volvos are the ideal car for people as neglectful of maintenance as I am.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I got one of these for Christmas with one of the uses planned being monitoring wheel hub temperatures for change over time. Range on it should be good enough for everything automotive short of brakes and exhaust.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
I'm simultaneously thankful and horrified of my mechanical knowledge. While nothing critical is about to fail, that means everything else is relegated to 'fix it when it breaks', meaning my truck ends up sounding like a rolling time bomb to everyone else.

OH GOD WHATS THAT HORRIBLE SQUEAK

It's just a pulley, I'm too lazy to find out which one, I'll know which one when it seizes!

I wonder why no one ever wants to get a ride from me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Skyssx posted:

I got one of these for Christmas with one of the uses planned being monitoring wheel hub temperatures for change over time. Range on it should be good enough for everything automotive short of brakes and exhaust.

These are great fun. I was issued a $200 Fluke model with my tool kit when I started my current job, and have used it maybe 2 or 3 times for work since (turns out you can't get a good reading on liquids with one, which is what I'm typically measuring.)

I haven't had an issue measuring my brakes with mine, and it works on all but the hottest parts of my exhaust header. Then again mine is professional-grade so YMMV.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

niggerstink420 posted:

So I let my wheel bearing get so bad that when the mechanic took the wheel off to change it today, the rim itself was so hot it burned him.

Volvos are the ideal car for people as neglectful of maintenance as I am.

My 1996 Toyota Camry had moderate brake shudder when I drove it 650km from one city to another. I then proceeded to live there for 6 months, driving it around town (small city trips) as well as a return journey of 1100km to another location during that time. I then drove it for the 650km journey back to the original city and decided to get it serviced a couple of months after that, since by that time the brake shudder had got a bit worse. This was also when the oil got looked at for the first time during that duration. At least for that 650km return journey 6 months later, I made sure to inflate the tyres before leaving.

I am literally the worst mechanical engineer.

E: upon finishing that 1100km return journey, I got back in to town and proceeded to put 65.4L of fuel into the 65L tank. It was midnight in the country so the other service stations along the way were closed.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 3, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

niggerstink420 posted:

I didn't let mine get quite that bad, but when I had a friend press the old bearing out of the steering knuckle, it just... exploded. Like, the entire bearing and races just shattered and went everywhere, a few of the ball bearings even shattered when they hit the floor. And the hub was a lovely blue color. Good thing I ordered a new hub.

It had gone from "oh an annoying humming noise indicative of a bad wheel bearing" to people turning their heads as I drove by to figure out what the hell was making that horrible horrible "what the gently caress is making that horrible metal on metal wail IS THAT A CAR IS IT ABOUT TO EXPLODE?" as I drove by. I don't get how it got that bad in only 6 months either. :colbert:

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

some texas redneck posted:

I didn't let mine get quite that bad, but when I had a friend press the old bearing out of the steering knuckle, it just... exploded. Like, the entire bearing and races just shattered and went everywhere, a few of the ball bearings even shattered when they hit the floor. And the hub was a lovely blue color. Good thing I ordered a new hub.

It had gone from "oh an annoying humming noise indicative of a bad wheel bearing" to people turning their heads as I drove by to figure out what the hell was making that horrible horrible "what the gently caress is making that horrible metal on metal wail IS THAT A CAR IS IT ABOUT TO EXPLODE?" as I drove by. I don't get how it got that bad in only 6 months either. :colbert:

That's why I always recommend replacing the bearing itself rather than pulling an entire used hub/bearing assembly from a used car and swapping it in. That extra bit of work at the press, as annoying as it is, at least means that the bearing is shiny and new, rather than one that may already be very close to becoming a delicious steel and grease chutney while you're going down the road.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I just did both front bearings on my "new" Sentra before Christmas and the plane no longer sounds like an airplane taking off! The driver's side races and ball bearings were blue, and surprisingly there was a little bit of (brown, horrible smelling) grease left.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

PainterofCrap posted:

My brother-in-law test-drove a Viper at some dealership in Arizona a few years back (when Vipers were new). I don't know where the salesman took him with it - a desert highway or a private track - but he said that he was going over 120MPH in 3rd or 4th gear and saw that the car had a long way to go (and at least two more gears) before it was wound out. Scared the crap out of him.

He wound up buying a supercharged Jaguar back home in PA. Much more sedate

related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0 (Bill Cosby - 200mph)

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0 (Bill Cosby - 200mph)

:h: you for posting this. Some of Cosby's funniest work, and, even if you only think it's kind of funny, you need to listen to the whole thing. Payoff is worth it.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Sexual Lorax posted:

:h: you for posting this. Some of Cosby's funniest work, and, even if you only think it's kind of funny, you need to listen to the whole thing. Payoff is worth it.

The references are really, really dated though. It's funny if you get them and can relate to them all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Had to google it the first time I heard the sketch, but tbh I think that's because I'm :britain: rather than being an age thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sexual Lorax posted:

One of the very few socio-political comments he ever made onstage.