Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

There is a nice mid-range between the $80 kits where the engine that you seal inside the hull and is not at all visible has 150 parts and the department store crap. I just wish the mid range ones didn't use rubber tracks so much, they are a colossal pain in the rear end to put on.
Revell 1:72 kits are this, as are most Tamiya 1:30-50ish that I've seen. Also good are the new Trumpeter kits, although they tend to have both rubber tracks AND internal detail on a tank you're going to glue shut....

compressioncut posted:

1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IX, being built for the guy who flew it (July 1943, Sicily).
:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Arquinsiel posted:

:britain:

:canada: although he was attached to the RAF at the time (flew with 72, 111 and I think 43 Sqns before going back to RCAF).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Thanks.

I've found pilots tend to like seeing their airplanes in flight. Besides, the pilot figure in this kit is really cool. And it's a Spitfire, having engine panels off ruins the lines. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try a spinning propeller effect or just go with the "frozen" look. This dude has the most convincing technique I've seen. Just need to track down a circle cutter of some sort...

If I do one for myself I might just go with your plan, with this Ultracast figure.

Holy poo poo, I have never seen anyone use that spinning propeller thing before, and it looks amazing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

compressioncut posted:

:canada: although he was attached to the RAF at the time (flew with 72, 111 and I think 43 Sqns before going back to RCAF).
Either way it's a cool thing of you to do for him.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
As I mentioned before I got one of the Zvezda Black Pearl ships for Christmas (straight from Russia! http://www.zvezda.org.ru/?lng=1&nav=&cat=7&set=9037). For a minute I was considering picking my own paint scheme for this ship instead of making it look all weathered cause it seemed kind of hard to do that. However, I found out that the company lost the copyright to this ship before they were able to start selling outside of Russia and now they can't export anymore. So I figure I better do a good job for all my US brethren who won't get a chance with this model.

Can anyone recommend me a good method of weathering the ship? Should I prime black and go from there or is it better for me to choose white or grey or something? Any ideas or advice will be very appreciated!

EDIT: When I first got the model I took some pics of the sprues before it went into hiding for Christmas, here's the post where I posted them if anyone's curious. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869&userid=156894#post396745187

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
Well I am pretty sure the wife got me everything I need. Now I just need to find a place to start with all this awesome.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

The sad discarded golden ribbon makes this picture. Congrats, I am sure you'll enjoy your Eclipse for years to come as much as your wife will enjoy the compressor's incessant droning on quiet weekends.

also tables dude.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

alcyon posted:

The sad discarded golden ribbon makes this picture. Congrats, I am sure you'll enjoy your Eclipse for years to come as much as your wife will enjoy the compressor's incessant droning on quiet weekends.

also tables dude.

Haha, I've got plenty of table space, but this was literally 30 seconds after opening the last item. It is all on my desk now, with a lamp setup and everything half removed from their box.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Irish Legend posted:

Haha, I've got plenty of table space, but this was literally 30 seconds after opening the last item. It is all on my desk now, with a lamp setup and everything half removed from their box.

No, he means your posted image is huge and breaking the forum tables. Keep it under 1024 wide. If you haven't already, change your [IMG] tags into [TIMG] to turn it into a thumbnail.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Kent Lind looks awesome, though.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Blistex posted:

No, he means your posted image is huge and breaking the forum tables. Keep it under 1024 wide. If you haven't already, change your [IMG] tags into [TIMG] to turn it into a thumbnail.

Is that better? Plus im having trouble threading the regulator. This is where it is tightest, and it leaks a little before this point. Do I just stuff it full of the tape and hope for the best and keep it vertical or is there another way I should attack this.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Kent Lind looks awesome, though.
You just know Ken will hook you up with some sweet palmtree-sunset-wizard grafs for your mom's minivan.

Irish Legend posted:

Is that better? Plus im having trouble threading the regulator. This is where it is tightest, and it leaks a little before this point. Do I just stuff it full of the tape and hope for the best and keep it vertical or is there another way I should attack this.
You were supposed to edit the original posting, but whatever. It's not like you're gonna get probated for it.

I assume you mean threading the hose to it? Don't force it, you certainly don't want to burr the threads on the connector. I am not familiar with this model, though jury-rigging your newly aqcuired IED with ducttape seems a bit too creative, but knock yourself out.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

alcyon posted:

I assume you mean threading the hose to it? Don't force it, you certainly don't want to burr the threads on the connector. I am not familiar with this model, though jury-rigging your newly aqcuired IED with ducttape seems a bit too creative, but knock yourself out.

I think he means the regulator isn't horizontal when it's tight enough, and wants to use a bunch of teflon tape to make the seal at the point it's horizontal. I do not recommend that.

The pro way to do that is to get washers (or a washer) and use them as spacers to get it more or less horizontal. It doesn't really matter as long as you can control and read the regulator.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

compressioncut posted:

I think he means the regulator isn't horizontal when it's tight enough, and wants to use a bunch of teflon tape to make the seal at the point it's horizontal. I do not recommend that.

The pro way to do that is to get washers (or a washer) and use them as spacers to get it more or less horizontal. It doesn't really matter as long as you can control and read the regulator.

I was thinking of washers. I'll have to poke around here at home to see if I have any, or I might make the trip to the hardware store tomorrow while I'm out and about.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Scratchbuilt scale modeling.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
What techniques can you use to get a paintjob that looks like the one on this Corsair? I like the way the blue looks worn out and faded and some places, rather than just being a uniform color.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

who cares posted:

What techniques can you use to get a paintjob that looks like the one on this Corsair? I like the way the blue looks worn out and faded and some places, rather than just being a uniform color.

There's a couple things you can do.

It looks like he did some pre-darkening of the panel lines. Usually airbrushing some black along all of the panel lines and rivets before going over it with the main color.

The main fading looks like like it could be chalk or some kind of colored wash.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Alpine Mustache posted:

There's a couple things you can do.

It looks like he did some pre-darkening of the panel lines. Usually airbrushing some black along all of the panel lines and rivets before going over it with the main color.

The main fading looks like like it could be chalk or some kind of colored wash.

I think it was panel shading + thinning the main color so the underlying aluminum paint showed through. These fancypants people often mix a little of another color to soften the main color, to make it seem more organic. The really dark blue might have had a little grey or something added.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

who cares posted:

Yeah he's probably pre-shaded the panel lines with a darker color, and painted the panels individually with the main color. Then he probably went over the individual panels with a lightened (with some drops of white) and thinned version of the main color. Pretty simple to achieve that level of weathering.

If you want to see an absolutely astoundingly weathered Corsair look here and here.

A guy called Jamie Haggo also weathers airplanes unbelievably well, which you can see here and here. He also contributes to Model Airplane International, one of the better print magazines, and says he will be doing a series on weathering.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Goddamn gently caress I need a semigloss acrylic clearcoat that sprays worth a poo poo. Everything I've tried is kind of gloopy and has to be thinned a TON and just ends up clogging the airbrush anyway no matter what I use for thinner. And then it ends up pebbly. I finally ended up with the Model Master Acryl semigloss but it was barely acceptable. The Model Master clear flat sprays great, but it's dead flat.

Possibly mixing Future with the flat would work, but I have never been able to spray that stuff successfully either (orangepeels really bad).

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

compressioncut posted:

Goddamn gently caress I need a semigloss acrylic clearcoat that sprays worth a poo poo. Everything I've tried is kind of gloopy and has to be thinned a TON and just ends up clogging the airbrush anyway no matter what I use for thinner. And then it ends up pebbly. I finally ended up with the Model Master Acryl semigloss but it was barely acceptable. The Model Master clear flat sprays great, but it's dead flat.

Possibly mixing Future with the flat would work, but I have never been able to spray that stuff successfully either (orangepeels really bad).

Some IPMS stockholm members apparently like "Liquitex High Gloss Varnish", which they use as a substitute for Future. The formula was changed in Europe (or atleast in scandinavia, as far as I can tell). I bought some Liquitex, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Edit: Oh, you wrote semi-gloss. Liquitex has that too.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Finished that Spitfire, so a couple more crappy photos follow. I doubt I'll have time to take better ones because I'm presenting it tomorrow.

The spinning prop effect didn't get done. I'm not spending $30 on a circle cutter that I would use all of one time ever. As well, CD case material (the default stuff to use) is too thin for 1/32 scale. You could probably laminate a couple of discs (bonded with Future or equivalent) and have it come out looking better, but a single sheet is only good for 48 scale. I don't think it looks too bad in a frozen state.

I tried something new - the grid effect you see is fairly randomly applied to the lines of fine rivets, to kind of show that they were puttied on the real plane, and have a little different finish. It's a difference of texture only (slightly shinier than the top coat) and the lovely lighting makes it way, way more obvious than in softer light. Looks pretty decent IRL, in combo with pre- and post-shading, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Exhaust stains are predominantly very light tan because allied gasoline was high octane/high lead content and left mostly light colored lead stains, especially at high power settings. Axis airplanes used low octane gas and show dark carbon stains. I also left off gun stains because I don't see them a lot in pictures outside of Battle of Britain quick-rearming scenarios, and the like. I'm guessing the armament guys cleaned them as a matter of course.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

compressioncut posted:

This is loving gorgeous.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That spitfire is the poo poo.

I got a Tamiya Miata for Hanukkah and decided to turn it into a Showroom Spec Miata car. Spent a good chunk of yesterday working on the cage. The gap in front will be closed up with the dashboard.

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have the Eunos Roadster kit? It comes with a hardtop and I'd love to get my hands on one, or at least get the part number so I can order one.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Thanks guys. I took some slightly better pics. The top cowling is still removable and has slid forward a touch, hence the gap - it lines up fine when I pay attention to poo poo.

Also, though I hid it well I somehow made a serious construction error attaching the wing. There was a huge gap where the bottom engine cowl meets the wing, and I don't know how I hosed it up, because the wing fits great otherwise. I had to use some strip plastic to fill it and there were a bunch of cascading errors caused by it. I almost had to junk a $100+ kit and restart, but it's OK and most of the problems are underneath so hard to see.

I also messed up the landing gear doors, so they don't fit all that well either. Even though I followed instructions, a better method would have been to attach the gear legs then the doors, to get the alignment right. Just a hint if anyone's building one of these in-flight.

This is my only completion of 2011 and second in three years(!). I aim to do a little better this year.

Pictures follow:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Looks great!

I didn't get a kit for Christmas, but I got to rummage around in my dad's unbuilt kits and came off with two old 1/72 matchbox kits that I think are from the 70's! One Humber Mk. II armoured car and one with a smal diorama with a Car B.1 and a Renault Ft.17.

These are my first 1/72 kits, and it's kind of delightful. I built the Humber in about an hour, and priming it took about as much time. It's so tiny and cute just being a 1/72 scale kit, but I also really love the look of many WW2 armoured cars so it was really fun to build. Now I just have to decide how to paint it, and if I should mount it to a base or not.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 1, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Does it not come with a mini-diorama base? My two Revell re-issues of it did if you're down one, and I have used neither since they're wargaming models.

I totally want the French tank box, also pretty much every one of the old Matchbox kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
An FT-17 must be absolutely tiny at 1:72. I'd definitely like to see a picture after you're done.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Does it not come with a mini-diorama base? My two Revell re-issues of it did if you're down one, and I have used neither since they're wargaming models.

I totally want the French tank box, also pretty much every one of the old Matchbox kits.

No, the Humber doesn't come with a diorama, but I have a wooden base that I bought years ago. I thought I would use it eventually for a miniature or something, but it is quite the right size for a tiny armoured car. If I use it I will just make it as a bit of desert.

The French tank box is nice, and yes, looking at the sprues it seems like the FT.17 will be roughly the size of my thumb when it is finished. I can really see these 1/72 kits being addictive. I have a personal rule when it comes to modeling and miniatures in that I must finish a project before I buy something new, and being able to finish in a few days (and in extension, getting to buy something new!) is a huge boon.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 1, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

No, the Humber doesn't come with a diorama, but I have a wooden base that I bought years ago. I thought I would use it eventually for a miniature or something, but it is quite the right size for a tiny armoured car. If I use it I will just make it as a bit of desert.
I'll check when I get home just to be sure, but if I find that I do have a diorama base of some kind do you want it? I'm trying to clear space at the moment anyway.

[EDIT]This page has pictures of what I remember it looking like in the first post. I should have two of them hiding in the box pile.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 1, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

The French tank box is nice, and yes, looking at the sprues it seems like the FT.17 will be roughly the size of my thumb when it is finished. I can really see these 1/72 kits being addictive. I have a personal rule when it comes to modeling and miniatures in that I must finish a project before I buy something new, and being able to finish in a few days (and in extension, getting to buy something new!) is a huge boon.

I used to do 1/72nd kits just because I could fit a ton of tanks into a very limited display space. I switched to 1/35 because the more interesting figures allowed for more diverse displays, but I still regret only being able to have a half-dozen tanks or so up at any given time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I'll check when I get home just to be sure, but if I find that I do have a diorama base of some kind do you want it? I'm trying to clear space at the moment anyway.

[EDIT]This page has pictures of what I remember it looking like in the first post. I should have two of them hiding in the box pile.

Cool, thanks for the offer, but I think I will do a more simple base with just a desert and maybe some tracks. My previous diorama had a big building and other parts which draw away the eye from the vehicle itself, and while I'm happy with how it turned out, I want less distractions for this way.

Mostly because of my sudden and surprising love of cute and boxy armoured cars. :3:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You'll want the Hasegawa Daimler Mk II then, and the Daimler Dingo is found in the Revell reissue of the Monty's Caravan set.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Does anyone know a good source of 1/32 WWI British/American infantry figures? I'm looking for some crew for a project I have in mind.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 3, 2012

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

Does anyone know a good source of 1/32 WWI British/American infantry figures? I'm looking for some crew for a project I have in mind.

I don't know anyone who make infantry figures in 1/32, how bad would it be to go with 1/35 instead?

arquinsel posted:

You'll want the Hasegawa Daimler Mk II then, and the Daimler Dingo is found in the Revell reissue of the Monty's Caravan set.

Yes, a Daimler Mk 2 would look good next to the Humber. I might go e-baying it after I finish this one.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

No Pun Intended posted:

Airfix does, or at least did. Modern 1:35 figures will be leaps and bounds ahead of them in terms of detail, though.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

lilljonas posted:

I don't know anyone who make infantry figures in 1/32, how bad would it be to go with 1/35 instead?

Yeah 1/35 would work just fine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

Yeah 1/35 would work just fine.

Then there are tons of them. I usually browse http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/ since they have so many kits available, and you can easily search for specific scales and subjects. Even if you end up buying it somewhere else, it is a good place to browse.

Progress report:

I might work some more on the tires, but overall I'm happy with it since it took just a few hours. I opted to go simple with no flashy camo, but a simple desert coloured one without too much weathering (which I did with drybryshing and washes, just to show how lazy I am).

I could probably leave the base as it is if I wanted to be completely lazy, but I think I'll put some desert on it. The tank is so tiny, barely longer than an AA battery, so it shouldn't be too hard. Too bad the decals were too old and fell apart as I tried to apply them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The turret looks slightly different to mine, and the guns look to be entirely different. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The turret looks slightly different to mine, and the guns look to be entirely different. Weird.

Weird. Are you sure it is a mk.2? The other versions have different turrets and armaments.