Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:siren:To re-enable your ad-blocking extension: Enter "chrome://apps" into the address bar, right-click on Youtube, select "Remove from Chrome":siren:You should also switch to uBlock Origin if you haven't already, it's much faster and more effective.

:siren: Posting about a problem you're having? :siren: Please post the version and channel (stable, beta, dev, or Canary*) that you're running. Also, remember to disable any extensions you're running and any about ://flags that you have enabled to see if that solves your issue.

Google Chrome is a web browser. It was first released by Google in September 2008, which was also when the last thread was made. Since then, Chrome has blown through 16 major point releases, with silent, automatic updates every few weeks (a strategy now being used by Mozilla for Firefox 5+). Chrome is a WebKit-based browser (the same rendering engine used in Apple's Safari and Google's Android browser), and is at the forefront of supporting new web standards as they are drafted.

It totally owns, and recently surpassed Internet Explorer 8 as the world's most popular browser version according to StatCounter.

You can get it here for Windows, Mac, and Linux. There's also a beta version here, if you like being on the cutting edge, though make sure that if you need help in this thread that you say that you're running the beta channel. There's also a "dev channel" you may hear about, but please don't run that - it's not meant for end-users, and causes a ton of problems.

What's new in Chrome

Since Chrome's initial release, it's undergone some huge changes. Here's the major hits:
  • The Chrome Web Store is a new portal to Chrome themes, extensions, and most importantly, Chrome Apps. Chrome Apps are, essentially, web applications that have an icon on your New Tab page. While some are essentially just bookmarks, many Chrome apps store content locally, use Google Checkout or In-App Purchases for payments, and/or use advanced HTML/JS features or Chrome browser features. Check out the recommended apps & extensions list below for rad stuff you can get through the store.

• Chrome's resource blocking API for extensions is finally nearing release. This may sound super boring, but when this is released, Chrome will finally have AdBlock that can block ads from loading entirely, instead of just hiding them.

• ChromeOS and Chromebooks are out. They are loving terrible. Ignore them.

• Google Native Client - Native Client (NaCl) is a technology by Google that allows native C/C++ code to execute in a sandboxed (secure) environment in a web browser, meaning that advanced poo poo can run blazing fast. It's very, very new, and very few applications utilize it. It's currently only available to apps on the Chrome Web Store, such as Bastion.

Recommended Apps & Extensions

Apps
  • Bastion - This indie game was the darling of many critics, and can be played entirely through a web browser using Google's Native Client technology.
  • Angry Birds - I mean, you can get this poo poo on some televisions at this point, of course it's a Chrome app. Full HTML5, offline play, in-app-purchases for levels (?)
Extensions
  • uBlock Origin is the best and fastest ad blocker.
  • Adblock Plus - There's a few AdBlock extensions for Chrome; I've always had success with this one. ABP and Ad Block both suck now
  • RSS Subscription Extension - adds an RSS button in the address bar, similar to the one in Firefox, you can use to subscribe to articles in Google Reader and a few other services.
  • SALR for Chrome - Adds a bunch of cool stuff to SA, just like SALR on Firefox.
  • Fancy SA Forums - userstyle that makes the forums a little more modern, styled like the front page

I know the app and extension lists are kinda bare at the moment, feel free to post more in the thread and I'll add 'em to the OP.

* please don't actually run Canary. I mean the most recent Canary build actually broke the concept of "var a = b = c" in JavaScript. It is not even remotely stable.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'll just say that I've been running dev since basically the begining, and other than a week where I couldn't load my ticketing system at work (RT) I've had no major problems.

Chromium is what's not for end users, dev just kind of lives in between that and beta, though closer to beta than Chromium.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Seconding the affirmation of dev. The only terrible thing I've had happen in two years was a period of about four days where Chrome would crash on startup. I just switched back to Firefox for that time, and updated manually when a new release came out.

I also prefer Chrome Adblock to AdBlock Plus. The element hiding helper is tons better (it gives you a slider to expand/narrow the container selector you want to block) and just seems more polished overall.

Can't wait for the resource blocking API. That's the only thing holding me back from switching to Chrome on my desktop. I already run it on my laptop because it uses less resources than FF, but really want true ad blocking before I go all in.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've always assume that Chrome was to be avoided because Google is at it's core an advertising company and my main priority is to block ads. Firefox seems to do this very well, especially with Youtube ads.

Am I mistaken?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

One thing I never liked about Chrome is how inaccessible bookmarks are compared to Firefox and IE; any extentions that remedy this? (Especially seeing as Chrome dumps imported bookmarks into their own folder)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

daslog posted:

I've always assume that Chrome was to be avoided because Google is at it's core an advertising company and my main priority is to block ads. Firefox seems to do this very well, especially with Youtube ads.

Am I mistaken?

Adblock Plus for Chrome works on youtube ads in my experience. It has some trouble blocking twitch/justin.tv ads and other streaming service ads, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Adblock Plus experimental build is just as good as the Firefox version.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
A goon friend and I wrote an extension for users of Pandora, we've got it on the web store here if you wanted to put it in the OP. Hope you guys like it.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

One thing I never liked about Chrome is how inaccessible bookmarks are compared to Firefox and IE; any extentions that remedy this? (Especially seeing as Chrome dumps imported bookmarks into their own folder)
There are extensions that basically pop-out all your bookmarks from a browser action button (to the right of the Omnibar). I've personally never used one, but I saw in the old thread a short discussion about them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

FISHMANPET posted:

I'll just say that I've been running dev since basically the begining, and other than a week where I couldn't load my ticketing system at work (RT) I've had no major problems.

Chromium is what's not for end users, dev just kind of lives in between that and beta, though closer to beta than Chromium.

What do you gain from running dev, though? And I remember the last thread being full of people on dev complaining about sites not rendering correctly, extensions breaking, etc.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

ZoDiAC_ posted:

What do you mean inaaccessible? Turn on the Bookmark Bar if you haven't already, you can put folders on the bar and go nuts. Same exact thing as I dodid in Firefox.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Use this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nnancliccjabjjmipbpjkfbijifaainp

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Anal Tributary posted:

What do you gain from running dev, though? And I remember the last thread being full of people on dev complaining about sites not rendering correctly, extensions breaking, etc.

These days I have no idea. When I first started dev was a bit more radical than beta or release and everything moved a lot faster. I think beta or dev might have been the only build for Linux at the time as well, which was important to me because I was running on Linux.

At this point I don't have a good reason to be on dev, and now that I think about it there some weird issues here on the forums for a long time where text would have no color and I'd have to highlight it to read it, but there's never been anything that's made me yearn for the stability of the release channel.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

Until recently there was an issue with the stable activating the discrete GPU on MBP's that was only fixed in 16.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I only wish the chrome SALR extension was as good as the Firefox one. Now I have just disabled chrome SALR and use fancy forums. I really wish more people worked on the extension, ferg seems too busy with awful app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll throw in this extension which makes Chrome jump to the last tab you looked at when you close the current one - why this functionality isn't built into the browser I have no idea but there it is.

Also Hover Zoom is swishness and also usually works on TIMGes, although they've seemed to not want to work all the time recently. It's great for browsing in general though, and works on text links too.

chrome://flags has a smooth scrolling option as well which is worth enabling

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've recently discovered the PrintFriendly extension, which is damned handy. It allows you to strip out page elements you don't want before printing. Very handy when the site doesn't offer a printable version or you want to print an article/blog post without ads or whatever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Readability does that too, with the added bonus that you can email articles to your Kindle as well :3:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

My biggest problem with chrome is the god awful spell-check. Yes my spelling is terrible but constantly having to use google as a backup spell-checker for google's own browser when I can't come close enough to get chrome to even provide the right suggestions just doesn't make sense. I thought some day they would update it but now it's been years.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Since people here have said that ABP for Chrome now does URL blocking, I want to switch to it. However, it really bugs me that there's no good way to select elements to hide on a page. In regular AdBlock, you can click an element to hide, then expand or contract that selection until you have everything you want hidden, hidden. With APB, you can click on one element, and only one element, to hide it.

For example, go to Arstechnica.com. On the right hand side, they have a box called "DON'T MISS: PROMOS & INSIGHT", which is just advertising disguised as a story. In AdBlock, I tell it to block an element, click on any part of that box, then expand the selection with the slider until the entire box is hidden. In APB, I can't directly select the container div; I can only block parts of the box one-by-one. Worse, since the title of the box has the same class as every other title element, I can't even block that. I literally can not block the entire ad, because I can't select it.

I could try to write a filter by hand, but by then, I've already switch back to AdBlock ten minutes before reaching that point.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why does anybody use ABP?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love Chrome, but I just can't use it until I can open files (such as PDFs) from the temp directory. (Also would like to be able to override all stylesheet fonts with one of my choice, but that's less important.)

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
One thing that annoys me about browsing and viewing videos online is the necessary ads you have to watch before you get to the content. Are there any extensions which stop this? I know there's one which works for YouTube, I use this to great effect. Any others out there?

Thanks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I find Speed dial 2 to be essential - It's the best of the various speed dial extensions. I set out wanting something that would let me choose the thumbnails on the new tab page...a horrific oversight in the default new tab page, but it also brings up a searchable bookmarks and recently closed listings by moving your mouse to the right of the screen.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jpfpebmajhhopeonhlcgidhclcccjcik

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Is there a way to switch tabs with mouse scrolling like in Opera? In Chrome it only works when mouse is on the tab bar, in Opera it works anywhere with right click+scroll.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

asdf32 posted:

My biggest problem with chrome is the god awful spell-check. Yes my spelling is terrible but constantly having to use google as a backup spell-checker for google's own browser when I can't come close enough to get chrome to even provide the right suggestions just doesn't make sense. I thought some day they would update it but now it's been years.

A million times this.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Here's a question: Is there more information available about deploying Google Chrome in an enterprise environment? I remember hearing in the past that Google was trying to push an MSI package for enterprise use and a separate add-in so that it can be managed via GPO.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Here's a question: Is there more information available about deploying Google Chrome in an enterprise environment? I remember hearing in the past that Google was trying to push an MSI package for enterprise use and a separate add-in so that it can be managed via GPO.
Here you go, provides an MSI and other information.
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/chromebrowser.html

Cloudy Calculator is an extention I use all the time.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/acgimceffoceigocablmjdpebeodphgc
It includes it's own internal calculator but will also use Google and WolframAlpha.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Yaos posted:

Here you go, provides an MSI and other information.
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/chromebrowser.html

Cloudy Calculator is an extention I use all the time.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/acgimceffoceigocablmjdpebeodphgc
It includes it's own internal calculator but will also use Google and WolframAlpha.

So how does this work in regards to updating. The documentation seems better now than it was when they first introduced this, but I'm still not 100%. It says auto updates happen even if the user doesn't have admin. So does that mean I just push out the MSI with my management software of choice, and never worry about it again, because it will auto update itself?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FISHMANPET posted:

So how does this work in regards to updating. The documentation seems better now than it was when they first introduced this, but I'm still not 100%. It says auto updates happen even if the user doesn't have admin. So does that mean I just push out the MSI with my management software of choice, and never worry about it again, because it will auto update itself?

Yes, but you can also disable updates entirely if you like and push out MSIs via your normal distribution method. The Group Policy settings for Chrome are quite comprehensive.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I would add Hoverzoom to the OP as well.

Does anyone know how to make favorites appear first when using the chrome bar or whatever its called?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I love Chorme. I'm heavily invested into the Google ecosphere. Gmail, calendar, reader, etc, everything so naturally I use Chrome.

Unfortunately, I've had to uninstall it.

I use a Lenovo X220 tablet PC. While using Chrome, my system will randomly and suddenly log me out to the Windows login screen. I can log back in and everything is back as it was, but it is very annoying. I troubleshot by using a beta version, stable version, etc. Nothing worked. Kept logging me out. This occurred several times per day. I was very careful to make sure I wasn't hitting keystroke combos that would log me out, etc. Nothing. It was something with the browser.

I finally relented, uninstalled Chrome and installed Firefox. This was about a week ago. Not one single sporadic logout.

I just don't get how Chrome did this to my computer. No other programs were installed/uninstalled that could have caused this over the course of a month (during my test phase). Very strange. I told Google when I uninstalled it, but they will never read it, so oh well. Firefox it is I guess, even though I dislike it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

hotsauce posted:

I love Chorme. I'm heavily invested into the Google ecosphere. Gmail, calendar, reader, etc, everything so naturally I use Chrome.

I use a Lenovo X220 tablet PC. While using Chrome, my system will randomly and suddenly log me out to the Windows login screen. I can log back in and everything is back as it was, but it is very annoying. I troubleshot by using a beta version, stable version, etc. Nothing worked. Kept logging me out. This occurred several times per day. I was very careful to make sure I wasn't hitting keystroke combos that would log me out, etc. Nothing. It was something with the browser.

I finally relented, uninstalled Chrome and installed Firefox. This was about a week ago. Not one single sporadic logout.

I just don't get how Chrome did this to my computer. No other programs were installed/uninstalled that could have caused this over the course of a month (during my test phase). Very strange. I told Google when I uninstalled it, but they will never read it, so oh well. Firefox it is I guess, even though I dislike it.

this doesn't make any sense... a web browser can't log you off of your pc

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Nitr0 posted:

this doesn't make any sense... a web browser can't log you off of your pc

Yeah...part of why I love Chrome is because it limits how much extensions can do to your computer (unlike Firefox).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I had to use Firefox the other day since the first time I switched from it, and its clunkiness made me angry. The first time I used Chrome every other browser became suddenly not nearly good enough. It's strange, I remember how responsive and stable Firefox felt when I switched from Opera. Somewhere along the way it started being just as fat-assed and failure prone as Opera. Like there was some inscrutable process getting in between me and my loving web content. Not to mention it ate all my RAM, all the time. Switching to Chrome was like switching to a recently cleaned window. Being forced back for the afternoon was almost traumatizing. Not as bad as being forced to use IE8, but close.

Having to actually navigate to google or use a separate field to google something is a disgusting travesty. When I used firefox's search engine bar it took me to bing. BING! Really? What is this horseshit?! I know that it's configurable and that it was the person who owned the computers' fault, but it is still completely unconscionable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

hotsauce posted:

I'm prepared to bet money you have some sort of malware on your computer. no way a web browser is responsible for the fault you describe

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Nathilus posted:

I had to use Firefox the other day since the first time I switched from it, and its clunkiness made me angry. The first time I used Chrome every other browser became suddenly not nearly good enough. It's strange, I remember how responsive and stable Firefox felt when I switched from Opera. Somewhere along the way it started being just as fat-assed and failure prone as Opera. Like there was some inscrutable process getting in between me and my loving web content. Not to mention it ate all my RAM, all the time. Switching to Chrome was like switching to a recently cleaned window. Being forced back for the afternoon was almost traumatizing. Not as bad as being forced to use IE8, but close.

Having to actually navigate to google or use a separate field to google something is a disgusting travesty. When I used firefox's search engine bar it took me to bing. BING! Really? What is this horseshit?! I know that it's configurable and that it was the person who owned the computers' fault, but it is still completely unconscionable.

You don't search from the URL bar?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm prepared to bet money you have some sort of malware on your computer. no way a web browser is responsible for the fault you describe

It's brand new. I have antivirus. It's also been stated elsewhere, so it's not just me. It's Chrome. I know, impossible, but is it??

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/602702-small-issue-x220-logs-me-out-when-i-quit-chrome.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/633159-why-my-x220-tablet-randomly-logging-me-out.html

Yes, one of those threads (#2) was started by me, so I'm essentially using my own theory to prove my own theory, but after uninstalling Chrome and using Firefox, I have never been logged out. Whatever the case, it's not malware. It's a brand new Lenovo X220 tablet and I have never had any sort of virus, etc.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

hotsauce posted:

It's brand new. I have antivirus. It's also been stated elsewhere, so it's not just me. It's Chrome. I know, impossible, but is it??

I'd be really shocked if it was anything about Chrome doing this. Have you tried disabling all your extensions and browsing for a while that way? Browsing in Incognito mode will do this by default.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Repost from last thread:

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight extension for sharing pages (including articles from Google Reader) to Twitter and Facebook? I had a quick look through a few, but not many seemed to be able to add a Twitter/Facebook sharing option within Google Reader articles unless I was to just open the full article and share the link normally that way.

One that doesn't require registering an account (other than my FB/Twitter ones obviously) would be ideal.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

b0nes posted:

You don't search from the URL bar?

I do with Chrome. Does Firefox do that too, now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nathilus posted:

I do with Chrome. Does Firefox do that too, now?

It has for a while now. I want to say at least since FF 4.