Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

oneliquidninja posted:

I stand corrected then. However I have seen that method cause a lot of failed summons. I'll try to summon a phantom, get a summon failed, and then see their summon sign moved to a different spot in the room.

e: And the thinking you needed to save and reload to do it was my assumption based on having to save and reload to get messages to shift.

Yeah, it definitely causes failed summons... and even considering that it's faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artism
Nov 22, 2011

At SL100 in NG+ will I have any luck dropping white soapstone down in Anor Londo? I have yet to do any co-op whatsoever (including with NPCs) or even invasions so sorry if this has been asked already or is really obvious.

edit; Also it's incredible how fast NG+ goes. It took me forever to get to Anor Londo first play through (I'm guessing maybe 30 hours) compared to 6 or so this play through.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

artism posted:

At SL100 in NG+ will I have any luck dropping white soapstone down in Anor Londo? I have yet to do any co-op whatsoever (including with NPCs) or even invasions so sorry if this has been asked already or is really obvious.

edit; Also it's incredible how fast NG+ goes. It took me forever to get to Anor Londo first play through (I'm guessing maybe 30 hours) compared to 6 or so this play through.

Probably. I was summoned twice in the Painted World (first time with another sunbro, who in turn summoned me immediately after beating Priscilla) pretty quickly. I'm SL115.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

artism posted:

I get summoned pretty much constantly by dudes farming blue phantoms in dark Anor Londo at SL120, so you should be fine

Cyroth
Sep 23, 2002

Finally beat Havel after 10 or so attempts. I guess I'm off to finish the Depths now.
The Large Ember that I found down there, I gave that to the blacksmith near Undead Parish. Have I screwed myself out of a +10 weapon now?
I've got the Zwei to +5 but I need more strength to use it. Seems to be a popular weapon and I hope I haven't messed something up.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Cyroth posted:

Finally beat Havel after 10 or so attempts. I guess I'm off to finish the Depths now.
The Large Ember that I found down there, I gave that to the blacksmith near Undead Parish. Have I screwed myself out of a +10 weapon now?
I've got the Zwei to +5 but I need more strength to use it. Seems to be a popular weapon and I hope I haven't messed something up.

You're fine - giving the ember to Andre is the only way to get +10 weapons. +5 -> +6 is technically an ascension, so you'll need a blacksmith to do it and Andre is the Normal and Divine blacksmith.

Also try seeing if you have enough strength to 2-hand the Zweihander. If you do, try it for a bit and see if it's right for you. It's a really drat slow weapon, but some people have a knack for timing and that can mean a world of different with big weapons.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Jetpack Postman posted:

Also try seeing if you have enough strength to 2-hand the Zweihander. If you do, try it for a bit and see if it's right for you. It's a really drat slow weapon, but some people have a knack for timing and that can mean a world of different with big weapons.

It took a bit getting used to the more deliberate heavy weapons, but once you get used to them you'll wonder how you ever got along without them. The Zwiehander in particular has an awesome secondary attack, great range and crazy stagger. For most enemies (really, most of them) you can knock them right out of their attack animation from just outside of their attack range with the Zwei. It's pretty stupid powerful.

Typically, you won't even block, you'll just lunge attack (or R2), knock the fucker down and keep hitting him if he's not dead already.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things

Brace posted:

I'm waiting outside of gaping if anyone' wants to bro up, waiting for someone to come by, bosses with co op are just much more fun.

That sun knight NPC is almost totally worthless in that fight, too. I decided to try again with a blue phantom and died in one hit when it ran me over. What I'm trying to say is gently caress that boss. I might as well take off all my armor and run around him. I may try that next time. And no shield I guess.

A fun experiment to see how fast I die.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

If you're really having problems with Gaping Dragon, you could always just equip a bow and kite him around the stage. You have a huge area to move around in and he's fairly slow.
Granted, it could take you a long time, depending on your dex and bow set-up, but if you're at your wits end, it will get the job done.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I did it!

It took 56 hours and 48 minutes, but I loving did it.
Bed of Chaos took the most tries, followed closely by O&S. 4 Kings went down easy with the help of a sunbro, and Gwyn was no match for my BK halberd +5. I even got invaded 3 times when going through the Kiln, and for the first time there was no lagg to spoil the fun.

No other game has given me this much pure joy and excitement, since the first time I played Shadows of Amn.
MY second favourite game of all time, no doubt.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
This game is goddamn amazing.

I always liked the idea of Demon's Souls but I never really got into it for some reason. Picked this up on a lark on new years eve and have dumped a stupid amount of time into it.

Just killed the gaping dragon. Incredible monster design. But honestly of all the things I've fought, that giant knight in undead burg with the big dildo club thing [Havel?] made me scream at my monitor the hardest. Seriously, gently caress that guy.

Anyway, I've been running around in my undies because of the drat weight requirements. If I want to hold onto that super-quick roll will I be perpetually under-armored, or is it possible/sane to boost my endurance high enough to move nimbly in medium or heavy armor?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Use the ring you got from Havel to boost your load and just mix and match for that under 25% if that's what you're aiming for.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The Crooked Warden posted:

Anyway, I've been running around in my undies because of the drat weight requirements. If I want to hold onto that super-quick roll will I be perpetually under-armored, or is it possible/sane to boost my endurance high enough to move nimbly in medium or heavy armor?
Yeah, if you want to roll real quickly all the time you pretty much need to wear the lightest armor in the game. You COULD of course boost the poo poo out of your endurance, but that would be a whole lot of grinding if you also want to be competent in anything else. Most people seem to use medium armor with their encumberance under 50%, though. You can still roll kinda-sorta fast so that dodging is viable but a lot of the time you'll probably also want to use the shield to protect yourself.

Personally on my first playthrough I made my guy wear the heaviest armor possible and just blocked everything, and that worked out really well except for one boss that pretty much required fast rolling. Last boss could barely make a dent on my armor :black101:

edit: Oh right Havel's ring helps a huge amount on getting your weight under 25%. Of course assuming you have nothing else to take that specific ring slot.

smuh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 2, 2012

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Yeah Havel's ring is a must, but there's also the Darkwood Grain ring, which turns your regular roll into a back-flip that's far better for dodging, as long as you're under 50% load. With those two, (plus there's a mask that boosts your encumbrance) you can wear a full set of the heaviest armor in the game (minus the helm) and still bounce around like a coked up ninja.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nimec posted:

That sun knight NPC is almost totally worthless in that fight, too. I decided to try again with a blue phantom and died in one hit when it ran me over. What I'm trying to say is gently caress that boss. I might as well take off all my armor and run around him. I may try that next time. And no shield I guess.

A fun experiment to see how fast I die.

I thought this guy would be really bad, but if you keep your distance and pay attention you can actually get a decent amount of safe damage in. I died once when I forgot about the abyss on the side, but other than that, I think it's a pretty formulaic fight. The safest time to attack is right after he does a charge--You just need to keep your eyes open for a follow-up attack which happens every now and then, and never stay in front of him for long. The first thing you definitely want to go for is the tail, not so much for the weapon (which I hear is good anyway) but to keep him from doing his annoying tail spin attack. With a dismembered tail he'll still try to swing his stump around, which wastes his move and gives you a lot of time to safely attack from the back. Saw him do that three times in a row while I just racked up a massive combo.

I went into sorcery just a little bit so that I could get soul arrows and enchant weapon, which were quite handy. When he isn't coming right for you but it's still not safe to get close, you can just lock on and fire away with ranged attacks. Otherwise you pretty much always want to be attacking from the back, and turn off your lock whenever you need to sprint (maybe don't turn it on at all).

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Finally got a Channelers Trident :woop:. Then died about 8 times figuring out the path to the Blue Slab :argh:. Now I've been killing butterflies trying to get a 2nd one.

Also forgot to go get the Gravelord Miracles before killing Nito :doh: NG will be slightly extended, between that and getting the 2 weapons off of Leroy I need for the Rare Weapon achievement.

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
I hate to ask but I've created three new games because I've gotten myself owned while trying for the flip ring. Either I nicked Shiva or something else silly. Does anyone have a spare? SL 29 but I can PL it quick enough. I've never been past Sen's so I don't know how helpful I'd be but I have a spare q essence. PSN saranodamnedh

Or is it possible to absolve and try again?

FrankFumiaki
Sep 24, 2007
I'll think about it tomorrow.

KingShiro posted:

Finally got a Channelers Trident :woop:. Then died about 8 times figuring out the path to the Blue Slab :argh:. Now I've been killing butterflies trying to get a 2nd one.

Also forgot to go get the Gravelord Miracles before killing Nito :doh: NG will be slightly extended, between that and getting the 2 weapons off of Leroy I need for the Rare Weapon achievement.

For a platinum character, you'd need to complete the game twice regardless since Sif's Soul is used for 3 things and Gwyn's soul is used for 2 things.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Question: I was attacked by a dude wearing chainmail just before the fog wall to Bed of Chaos. I had already killed Kirk and the pyromancer last time I was there.
There was no notice of invasion, and the dude moved like a npc, but I can't find any information about him in the wiki?

He didn't drop anything and gave only a 1000 souls.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hey, sorry in advance if this is a dumb post but can anyone tell me if the patch has changed weapon scaling at all? Do high level + weapon have better scaling, if I were to just go the normal route?

I haven't played this game since Skyrim came out so I thought I'd ask here.

Steve the Tree
Jan 27, 2004
My name is Jynette

BLOG KING posted:

Or is it possible to absolve and try again?

Yep. You can get the little fire breathing eyeball bugs to soften up the ninja with its cone attack. Eventually both the ninja and Shiva will attack you, but you should be able to truck the ninja, loot and pray Shiva doesn't kill you first.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Peppi posted:

Question: I was attacked by a dude wearing chainmail just before the fog wall to Bed of Chaos. I had already killed Kirk and the pyromancer last time I was there.
There was no notice of invasion, and the dude moved like a npc, but I can't find any information about him in the wiki?

He didn't drop anything and gave only a 1000 souls.

He's the Crestfallen Warrior you meet when you first come to Firelink Shrine. He takes off after you talk to him after you ring both bells of awakening. He ends up hollowed because of it.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Rough Lobster posted:

Hey, sorry in advance if this is a dumb post but can anyone tell me if the patch has changed weapon scaling at all? Do high level + weapon have better scaling, if I were to just go the normal route?

I haven't played this game since Skyrim came out so I thought I'd ask here.

What was your reason for not playing? Anyway, the patch came out on or around the release date of Skyrim. Scaling is better, but still terrible.

Dzokhar Duggar
Oct 18, 2008

Stupid Idiot Bitch

Jetpack Postman posted:

He's the Crestfallen Warrior you meet when you first come to Firelink Shrine. He takes off after you talk to him after you ring both bells of awakening. He ends up hollowed because of it.

Weird, I've never seen him down there. Usually he shows up at the beginning of new londo.

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
Does the ninja in darkroot drop the ring or just blighttown? Hate that place...

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

FrankFumiaki posted:

For a platinum character, you'd need to complete the game twice regardless since Sif's Soul is used for 3 things and Gwyn's soul is used for 2 things.

I've already used the Bottomless Box glitch so I have all the boss weapons without trudging through 3 plays of NG.

I had no idea you could summon Leroy for Pinwheel, looks like that why I wasn't getting his weapon or shield.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ball Stink posted:

What was your reason for not playing? Anyway, the patch came out on or around the release date of Skyrim. Scaling is better, but still terrible.

Because loving Skyrim owns and I was waiting for the patch to fix some of the bad issues this game had. I'm reading the patch notes, and it looks like they put a lot of great stuff in there. Was the patch well received?

Apologize again for sharting up this thread but it's huge.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Rough Lobster posted:

Because loving Skyrim owns and I was waiting for the patch to fix some of the bad issues this game had. I'm reading the patch notes, and it looks like they put a lot of great stuff in there. Was the patch well received?

Apologize again for sharting up this thread but it's huge.

It was well received but I and many others still think scaling is underwhelming. A key input delay bug was also not fixed. In addition to that, Skyrim sucks. : - )

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anybody want to point me in the direction of the Great Scythe? I'm in Tomb of the Giants right now, preparing to finish off Senor Gravelord.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Fuligin posted:

Anybody want to point me in the direction of the Great Scythe? I'm in Tomb of the Giants right now, preparing to finish off Senor Gravelord.

Again, poo poo like this is pretty much impossible to describe. This took literally 4 seconds to find on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvYHcPbT4_U

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The patch was highly welcomed by myself. Everything is alot more streamlined.

I've been farming more forest phantoms today. Been having a ton of fun, recognising a few. I got double teamed before, and began to panic, so I ran across the bridge and jumped down the stairs and hid on the side of the turret, they ran past but I hosed up the stab and looked really silly. I ran back up the stairs, trying to dodge them, and turned, leapt off and hit one with a plunging attack, killed him, then hosed the other guy while he was stuck under the stairs.

Can Skyrim do that. :colbert:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
So I just got this game. I decided to give it a try. In the first area, Firelink Shrine, I went to the skeleton graveyard. I got through it and half way into the catacombs before I realized I was going the wrong way. I ended up getting a nice spear out of it that completely wrecked everything in the direction I didn't instantly die in.

At first, I just kept thinking 'Well, this game *is* supposed to be really hard...' when I kept dying.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Wow, blighttown is a horrible, lovely place.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Brace posted:

Wow, blighttown is a horrible, lovely place.

It's like Valley of Defilement's ugly twin brother.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
And gently caress those leeches, jesus christ. I'm just going to do the boss and get the gently caress out of this place.

Where do you guys usually go after Blighttown? I was thinking of going to Catacombs but I have no idea.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brace posted:

And gently caress those leeches, jesus christ. I'm just going to do the boss and get the gently caress out of this place.

Where do you guys usually go after Blighttown? I was thinking of going to Catacombs but I have no idea.

You were just in the Catacombs. Or do want to know how to get out? Because that's a good question.

Near the bonfire in the poison swamp, there's a giant waterwheel that functions as an elevator. Go up, and then keep climbing up ladders until you run out. You should find a tunnel that leads you to the Valley of Drakes, and from there it's a stroll to a shortcut into New Londo, and then Firelink. The key to the New Londo gate should be near the tunnel's entrance, just poke around.

While you're at the waterwheel, you might also want to check the nearby concrete recess for a Fire Keeper Soul to upgrade your flask. Just be careful, that place is lousy with blowdart snipers.

edit: also, did you grab the Rusted Iron Ring when you went back to Undead Asylum? Because that thing keeps the mud in the swamp from impeding your movement.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2012

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Wait, I wasn't in the catacombs, I went depths > blighttown. Aren't the catacombs protected by those skeletons in the cemetery at firelink? I haven't even looked at that area yet after getting killed by those skeletons at the start of the game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

He was just in the Depths. Catacombs might make sense. I went straight from Blighttown into Sen's Fortress and didn't do Catacombs until I had the Lordvessel but it was an absolute breeze by then and I imagine I was meant to go earlier. Of course it only leads you to the Tomb which he'll definitely not be prepared for at this point, so...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brace posted:

Wait, I wasn't in the catacombs, I went depths > blighttown. Aren't the catacombs protected by those skeletons in the cemetery at firelink? I haven't even looked at that area yet after getting killed by those skeletons at the start of the game.

Oh, duh. Sorry, got the Underground Places confused.

Like the guy above me said, the Catacombs should be fairly doable by now provided you've got some kind of Divine weapon (a lot of the skeletons will resurrect themselves constantly without one), but the area immediately after that is suicide and, more importantly, impossible to complete without an item you don't have yet. Normally I take care of Great Gray Wolf Sif after Blighttown, and then go to Sen's Fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I think I might go into Catacombs, I need to grab the Zwei + Scythe, and maybe get a good mask of Pinwheel. Is it a good idea to craft the Fury Sword out of Quelaag's soul? Is it any good?

• Locked thread