Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

To make a 3D object from a 2D image? I just sorta... umm. Ballpark it and make guesses at how the shapes would look. There was a discussion about getting a pattern from a 3D object here

nolen posted:

I use a program called Sculptris (free: http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris) for all my modeling, but you can use any 3D modeling program that works best for you. Traditional modeling just doesn't click for me, but sculpting seems to work out perfectly.

For unwrapping, I use a program called PatternImage. It's way expensive (triple zeros), but a huge timesaver. You can try using papercraft software to unwrap and edit the pattern for fabric, but I've never tried that.

I don't know any tutorials offhand; I haven't exactly used any yet.

What are you making? I might be able to push you in the right direction, or someone who is more knowledgeable (read, actually knowledgeable) might be able to give a better suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Im not really sure yet. I wanna make something I can sell, I just discovered how much I enjoy sewing. Everything I can think of that would be profitable is going to be copyrighted though. I'm a bit conflicted in that regard. I just found a cat pattern and modified it to my liking for practice though, and It's looking good.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
If you're making stuff to sell and you're good at visualizing, drawing up your own patterns might be the best idea. Practice on cheaper fabric and perfect what you're doing and then go from there. I've designed my own stuff before and I've found coming up with my own pattern is almost as rewarding as the finished project.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
This book is a great place to get started as well if you're new to stuffed animals:

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Wonderful-Fleece-Animals-Full-Size/dp/1589235789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324220997&sr=8-1

It goes over techniques and comes with many patterns to show you how to make specific shapes from 2D patterns.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Just finished up a cat! It's a weird cat

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I made this for my goon roommate.

I'm just learning to sew, so this project was a bit of a challenge, but it came out pretty well and the recipient was very happy with it. Between this, and the many stockings I made, I think sewing actual clothing will be almost easy in comparison.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pagan posted:

I made this for my goon roommate.

I'm just learning to sew, so this project was a bit of a challenge, but it came out pretty well and the recipient was very happy with it. Between this, and the many stockings I made, I think sewing actual clothing will be almost easy in comparison.

I saw that and wanted to shout, "It begins" for some reason. Even though I assume they're unrelated.

Looks good! (Was it for Christmas?)

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 25, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Brainbread posted:

I saw that and wanted to shout, "It begins" for some reason. Even though I assume they're unrelated.

Looks good! (Was it for Christmas?)

Yes, took about 15, maybe 20 hours of work total. Between drafting the pattern, revisions, and ripping / resewing seams, it was harder than I thought it would be, but incredibly rewarding. I think it hits the perfect sweet spot between too bizarre / too perfect. He's strange enough to be weird and appealing; but well made enough to not look terrible.

I'd probably do the toes different, though.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pagan posted:

Yes, took about 15, maybe 20 hours of work total. Between drafting the pattern, revisions, and ripping / resewing seams, it was harder than I thought it would be, but incredibly rewarding. I think it hits the perfect sweet spot between too bizarre / too perfect. He's strange enough to be weird and appealing; but well made enough to not look terrible.

To a goon at least! I am always wary of most time estimates people give out; but since its a first it makes sense.

Its just when I hear "Seamstresses" saying that it takes them 14 hours to make a Pony after they`ve made 10 before, I get concerned. I`ve got my bigger ones down to 7 or 8 hours of lazy work.

And beanies.

Good ol' hour and a half to make a beanie.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Brainbread posted:

To a goon at least! I am always wary of most time estimates people give out; but since its a first it makes sense.

Its just when I hear "Seamstresses" saying that it takes them 14 hours to make a Pony after they`ve made 10 before, I get concerned. I`ve got my bigger ones down to 7 or 8 hours of lazy work.

And beanies.

Good ol' hour and a half to make a beanie.

My stockings, I got down to about 90 minutes, from first cut to finished product. That was for the 5th one, though. The first one probably took three hours.

If I was making the frogs on a regular basis, with a better pattern, I'm thinking probably 5 hours. One session was spent just figuring out the pattern, and drafting it out.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Pagan posted:

My stockings, I got down to about 90 minutes, from first cut to finished product. That was for the 5th one, though. The first one probably took three hours.

If I was making the frogs on a regular basis, with a better pattern, I'm thinking probably 5 hours. One session was spent just figuring out the pattern, and drafting it out.

In case you're interested, I sell the original "Get Out Frog" pattern. Other goons from this very thread have bought and made their own frogs.

Drop me a PM if you're interested :).

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I started making plush monsters in October with no background in sewing. Each new one is rife with lessons.

My first monster. Lumpy, misshapen, and full of stitching errors. But I love it.

The second and a gift to a friend. I think I did this in a twelve hour binge.

The last one I finished a few days ago. A Christmas present for another friend. All the tentacles and the tongue have jewelers wire in them to allow them to be posable. In theory.

I apologize for the blurriness, I usually shoot without a good light source nearby and have just a macro lens for my camera.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

My little brother loves Adventure Time, so I made him a big squishy Jake for Christmas.

It's not the most symmetrical thing ever, but it was fun to make and he loves it. :)

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Volcano posted:

My little brother loves Adventure Time, so I made him a big squishy Jake for Christmas.

It's not the most symmetrical thing ever, but it was fun to make and he loves it. :)

This is quite radical, I must say.

How large is it?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

nolen posted:

This is quite radical, I must say.

How large is it?

The body is about 30cm long. It needed an entire 450g bag of stuffing though.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

The hearthstone pillows (I didn't have time to photograph them together so just imagine it has a twin) were made out of some really awesome suede I found and satin. They were a Christmas gift for a couple who my husband and I are friends with 'cause they're *really* into World of Warcraft. I think that's how they met, actually.

The horse and unicorn were made as a commission for some lady who found me on dA while frantically searching for the one thing her daughter had asked Santa for. A rainbow unicorn and matching horse. They're made from flannel using Simplicity 2921. I've made several in the past and the rainbow ones seem to be a big hit. I never want to run out of that fabric.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Unoriginal posted:

The hearthstone pillows (I didn't have time to photograph them together so just imagine it has a twin) were made out of some really awesome suede I found and satin. They were a Christmas gift for a couple who my husband and I are friends with 'cause they're *really* into World of Warcraft. I think that's how they met, actually.

The horse and unicorn were made as a commission for some lady who found me on dA while frantically searching for the one thing her daughter had asked Santa for. A rainbow unicorn and matching horse. They're made from flannel using Simplicity 2921. I've made several in the past and the rainbow ones seem to be a big hit. I never want to run out of that fabric.

My god those look so professional.

This thread makes me wish I had any idea what I was doing!

More commission stuff

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

nolen posted:

In case you're interested, I sell the original "Get Out Frog" pattern. Other goons from this very thread have bought and made their own frogs.

Drop me a PM if you're interested :).

I don't know if I'll ever make another one, but in case I do, how much are you asking for the pattern?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Pagan posted:

I don't know if I'll ever make another one, but in case I do, how much are you asking for the pattern?

Only $10 US.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Made a wizard. He is angry about things.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Radio! posted:

Made a wizard. He is angry about things.

Is he an Ice King, or a Nice King?

How did you attach the little disk-bits? Glue, stitching, /magic/? =P

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hot glue! I am a cheater. They're sequins, but the picture's not great. He's the sequin king.

deadlysweet
Nov 30, 2011
Holy crap guys you've been making amazing stuff.

I've been so burnt out from special orders/holidays that I hope I can start fresh in the New Year and focus on some inventory.

I haven't made much recently other than a Magneto for a friend's birthday.
I had some serious issues with his helmet (I'll know better next time).

Magneto Plush by deadly_sweet, on Flickr

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I'm currently in the process of trying to copy something by eye. I started this past wednesday and I hope to finish it up tomorrow or by tuesday.

This is what I was copying: http://spitfireia.tumblr.com/post/12628827409/finished-after-eoa5-i-was-overcome-with

And this is about where I'm at now:

http://i.imgur.com/DMHVb.jpg

The extra seams I added on the mask, as well as the hat that you can't see, are an improvement. http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Wayward_Vagabond
The character here shows what I mean.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Setbacks!

First, I fell into the water with my camera (an expensive lesson), then I've been too busy with holiday crap to do much work on the ol' Doctor.

Now I just need to do the ears, bake and paint the eyes, sew up the tail, and make a back gusset so he doesn't look like he's doing the splits all the time.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Drum posted:

Setbacks!

First, I fell into the water with my camera (an expensive lesson), then I've been too busy with holiday crap to do much work on the ol' Doctor.

Now I just need to do the ears, bake and paint the eyes, sew up the tail, and make a back gusset so he doesn't look like he's doing the splits all the time.

Are you stitching him along the outside on the back?

Also, finally got her listed. Little beanie griffon (Gilda).

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Brainbread posted:

Are you stitching him along the outside on the back?

Also, finally got her listed. Little beanie griffon (Gilda).

I'm going to turn it back inside-out for most of the stitching, then right-side out to stuff, and stitch between the back legs.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

More commissions done.

I'm worried that my quality control is all over the place, but I think I've managed to get them to look pretty similar now. I might make the heads smaller though.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

^^ Those are really cute. The big guys are awesome, but there's just something adorable about beanie creatures.

So I decided I wanted to make owls but didn't want to buy a pattern. I figured simple was best for little guys (I sew for 1-2 year olds a lot, or younger) so I came up with these guys. They're essentially small pillows that double as dolls of sorts.

The prototype set I made for my nephew.

Don't know what happened to the short guy, but despite being the same pattern, he came out shorter. I think I borked a margin. These guys are for a new little one at my church.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Don't know what happened to the short guy, but despite being the same pattern, he came out shorter. I think I borked a margin. These guys are for a new little one at my church.

God I love owls.

I'm not sure what material you used, but maybe the stretch is different on the second short owl? I've done that a few times on my plushies, and it changes completely how they look.

(Maybe you cut the piece so the stretch was sideways, rather than up and down).

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That sounds extremely likely. The fleece on the second guy is super stretchy.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Finished!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

blackflare posted:

Finished!

Looks good! Whats he made of, and who is it for? (Yourself? I currently have nothing I've made for myself >.>)

Also, finished a pile of stuff yesterday.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

He's made of fleece and polyfill. And he is for another goon. Ever since I started making things and posting about them in irc I've been getting hammered with requests :v:

I'm at http://flufflestuff.tumblr.com/ if anyone wants to follow stuff I make.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Done! Big (as in, long) commission. First attempt at making Gilda the Griffon.

Turned out pretty well. Dyed goose down feathers for her hair, and the rest is micro-chenille minky). She's got no wire, and I packed the balls of her feet with beads to give extra way for balance, so she won't tip over.

Glad its done, gotta start on one for myself now. Happy with how she turned out :D

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

She came out cute!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Yeah that looks great! The minky fabric you've been using on your recent projects really gives it a professional look.

If you ever upgrade to embroidered eyes, your stuff will be over the top amazing.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

deadlysweet posted:

Magneto Plush by deadly_sweet, on Flickr

Holy balls! This rocks :)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

Yeah that looks great! The minky fabric you've been using on your recent projects really gives it a professional look.

If you ever upgrade to embroidered eyes, your stuff will be over the top amazing.

I don't have an embroidery machine, and my dabbling in getting embroidery to attach turned out quite poorly >.>

I end up switching up the placement of the eyes every time I make a plush, because I can't get the shapes to be the same - so I can't just get it embroidered straight onto the base material (It'll look rather derped).

My hope was for embroidery patches, but the local embroidery shop doesn't do them as Iron-ons. Maybe if I were more competent :D

But thanks anyways. I'm trying to slowly pick up my game ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Maybe this thread could help you on getting embroidered eyes? I've ordered a patch from this guy and it's top-notch quality with iron-on adhesive as the standard.

• Locked thread