Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

pseudorandom name posted:

and the first sentence is a really passive aggressive statement about how Minecraft squid only have eight arms.

Squid in real life only have eight arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

Squid in real life only have eight arms.

(And two tentacles.)

Which are not on the Minecraft squids. Still a silly thing to complain about though.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Jeb on Twitter mentioned he changed or removed the hit box for ladders. I wonder if this will effect ladders holding water/lava. Also so many parkour maps just got raped.

That's not actually what the word "raped" means. :ssh:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I doubt it'll affect the water/lava thing, since changing the hitboxes wouldn't let them coexist. I suspect he changed the thing where you can stand on them or if you fall onto the wrong part of a ladder from too high, you can hit them and die, whereas other parts you just get caught on the ladder effect.

Also, signs block lava/water and you can't stand on them so changing the hitbox will probably just keep you from dying when you fall on them.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Disappointing Pie posted:

Jeb on Twitter mentioned he changed or removed the hit box for ladders. I wonder if this will effect ladders holding water/lava. Also so many parkour maps just got raped.

Why. Why.

I'm never finishing this loving map.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jamesman posted:

I do have a nice supply of diamonds, so even though I wouldn't want to throw picks away on a regular basis, I can afford to suicide and lose one if need be.

But after managing to look around a bit more through holes, I found I could tunnel quite a bit horizontally until I reached I land mass that had a high enough peak for me to drop down to (with the help of gravel). It's not the most convenient route, but at least my portal is in a safe spot, and I can get to ground after all.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do next. I don't think establishing a base is much of an option, is it?

As the resident quick-transport mogul on my server, building a nether base is the first thing I did. And then I connected it to a nether fortress via a tunnel, and when I found ANOTHER fortress, I made a fork in the tunnel. Nether Fortresses are perfect for putting down portals btw, since you can basically put one at the end of any given dead-end corridor and it will come out in some new exciting place.

As for building a nether base, remember that the important thing is for the ghasts to not see you. It's not entirely advisable but long stretches of my tunnels are built out of netherrack, since as long as the ghasts don't see anyone, they won't fire. And of course, they can see through 1x1 holes, but not through glass panes or iron bars.

That said, anything with a blast resistance of 30 or higher should be good:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Blast_resistance#Blast_Resistance

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Is it not possible to power a minecart rail by putting a redstone torch underneath the block the rail is on?

This example shows it third from the left but it is not working for me. What am I missing?

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 2, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jin Wicked posted:

Is it not possible to power a minecart rail by putting a redstone torch underneath the block the rail is on?

This example shows it third from the left but it is not working for me. What am I missing?

The rail won't show up as powered unless it receives an update to its redstone state after there's power. If you're placing the torches first, then the powered rail, it will just show up as unpowered. Try breaking and replacing the rail next to the powered rail and see if that does the trick. If not, you may have to place another powered section next to the one over the torch and then break it once the update happens.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Boat posted:

The rail won't show up as powered unless it receives an update to its redstone state after there's power. If you're placing the torches first, then the powered rail, it will just show up as unpowered. Try breaking and replacing the rail next to the powered rail and see if that does the trick. If not, you may have to place another powered section next to the one over the torch and then break it once the update happens.

Thanks a bunch, I was placing the torch down before the track. I got it!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK, so a base is a good idea then. The only problem with that is my location isn't the greatest place to set up a home. On top of being on top of a mountain, this is the view as soon as you leave the ceiling cave.

It's not impossible to build a base, but it doesn't seem like there's much I can do from where I'm at, either. I don't want to stray too far from my portal trying to see if there's more to this area besides steep mountains, a seemingly endless netherrack wall, and an ocean of death and THEN make a home who-knows-how-far if I do find something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Your portal is in pretty much the worst place imaginable, and you can't really do anything about that short of building another portal far away. I'd recommend making a staircase down to the ground out of slabs, which are the cheapest material that can withstand a hit from a ghast fireball. Annoying, but then pretty much everything about the nether is annoying. The good news is that all you really need to find in the nether is a fortress with a blaze spawner. Unless you want to use a ton of glowstone, in which case have fun traversing lava lakes and dodging fireballs.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

OK, so a base is a good idea then. The only problem with that is my location isn't the greatest place to set up a home. On top of being on top of a mountain, this is the view as soon as you leave the ceiling cave.

It's not impossible to build a base, but it doesn't seem like there's much I can do from where I'm at, either. I don't want to stray too far from my portal trying to see if there's more to this area besides steep mountains, a seemingly endless netherrack wall, and an ocean of death and THEN make a home who-knows-how-far if I do find something.

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible location. I'd fortify the actual area immediately around your portal as a base-camp of sorts, find (or dig) a reasonably sized cave in the main island of netherrack below for the eventual placement of a netherwort farm, and then just wander off into the hellscape with a bunch of cobble & wood.

The trick I usually do is just inset a block of cobble into the ground every ~10 blocks so you have an easy to follow path. Once you find a Nether Fortress, you can build another nearby base, or just occupy part of the fortress itself. Building a portal in the fortress is probably a good idea, then you can provide access to the blaze spawner easily from the overworld, though it may be a long LONG way from where your base is there.

⇩ ⇩ (It's because they're 12) :ssh: ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 2, 2012

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So I get a lot of messages like this from people on the official forums:

Jontek2 posted:

so i have made a adventure map, but its not done yet. would you be kind enough to do the storyline? then you can send me the map and ill see if i like it! ( if you help me ) . so can you do the storyline and you can edit the map to your liking! i have the original. plz build new stuff, make new challenges, and if yours is better then mine, i will post that we did it together! :) plz send me a message back on my profile if you will help! ( or if not ) also, plz come up with a name! plz do not destroy what i built! :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
plz do my work for me! Also don't change anything! But make it better!

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
Awww its probably just a kid, learning how to take credit for other peoples work .:3:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I get about 2 of these type of messages every couple of months or so. :)

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
The most creeped out I've been by the Nether was during my first trip, I made a portal near bedrock in the real world and ended up in a giant underground Nether cavern.

I tried tunneling my way up but only hit lava, so I looked for an exit and saw one that lead downward to... another Nether portal. :tinfoil:

I went through it and ended up far, far from my base. Still, I didn't thought the game could make its own random portals and was very creeped out for a while.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Colonel J posted:

I went through it and ended up far, far from my base. Still, I didn't thought the game could make its own random portals and was very creeped out for a while.

It can't. You must have made it and forgot about it.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
Being in the Nether alone still creeps the poo poo out of me. There's something that puts me so uneasy about walking past a group of Pigmen wondering if something will set them off. I know generally they only attack when provoked, but it's still so creepy to just walk right past them having to look over my shoulder. Then couple that in with the sound of the Ghasts and it's just a terribly eery feeling.

Nether Fortresses are even worse, somehow. Being in an open area gives you a feeling of control, you can see what's coming. But in the Fortresses it's all inclosed and if you DO run into a Blaze spawner, there's poo poo all you can do about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Coleman posted:

Being in the Nether alone still creeps the poo poo out of me. There's something that puts me so uneasy about walking past a group of Pigmen wondering if something will set them off. I know generally they only attack when provoked, but it's still so creepy to just walk right past them having to look over my shoulder. Then couple that in with the sound of the Ghasts and it's just a terribly eery feeling.

Nether Fortresses are even worse, somehow. Being in an open area gives you a feeling of control, you can see what's coming. But in the Fortresses it's all inclosed and if you DO run into a Blaze spawner, there's poo poo all you can do about it.

I actually really like the creepiness of the Nether, which is why I'm disappointed there isn't actually anything you can do there. After you gather whatever materials you need, you then have to leave to accomplish anything.

I love the terrain of the place. It's much more distinct then the normal minecraft world. Different biomes would be neat, though...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

It can't. You must have made it and forgot about it.

No, what happened here was the portal that spawned in the nether was more than 16 blocks away from the corresponding coordinates, and thus more than 128 away in the overworld, and thus unable to link up when leaving the nether.

I really wish they'd make the maths symmetrical.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I built a nice little fortress and do my potion brewing down there. This also gives my Nether Wart a chance to grow. I have to import the water bottles, but it's not hard - I built a little well next to my portal in the overworld.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So what new features is Jeb working on these days?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

So what new features is Jeb working on these days?

Have you heard about Cobalt? Let me tell you about Cobalt. Cobalt.

http://playcobalt.com/

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Cobalt, cool. Looks good, heck, looks GREAT. Cobolt. Neat. Good to see a small time indie developer getting into a genre that has been completely overlooked by small time indie developers: quirky platformers with retro graphics and overwrought "deep" "storylines".

I'll be preordering this for sure.

Cablots. Colbolts. Cockballs.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer and I guess it's not really a "quirky retro platformer", it's more of a "quirky retro-themed liero clone"

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 3, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

a starwar betamax posted:

EDIT: Just watched the trailer and I guess it's not really a "quirky retro platformer", it's more of a "quirky retro-themed liero clone"
Maybe it's just my poor memory but I don't remember Liero looking or playing even remotely like that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

quote:

Cobalt, cool. Looks good, heck, looks GREAT. Cobolt. Neat. Good to see a small time indie developer getting into a genre that has been completely overlooked by small time indie developers: quirky platformers with retro graphics and overwrought "deep" "storylines".

I'll be preordering this for sure.

Cablots. Colbolts. Cockballs.
Something tell me that is a bad idea. Its probably going to be stuck in alpha forever and Notch will use this fact to leave it in an incredibly buggy state. For a sandbox game with no real objective like Minecraft that is somewhat ok, but its going to be intolerable for something that has a clear gameplay objective like Cobalt.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 3, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Something tell me that is a bad idea. Its probably going to be stuck in alpha forever and Notch will use this fact to leave it in an incredibly buggy state. For a sandbox game with no real objective like Minecraft that is somewhat ok, but its going to be intolerable for something that has a clear gameplay objective like Cobalt.

Cobalt's not Notch. It's Jens and some others. Mojang's just supporting them.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
When is the release date for Cobolt's?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For the people who are spawning in the nether way up high, why not use a bucket of water to descend and put out some lava around the area. Then you just have to make a quick shelter, dig out some obsidian, and make a portal directly below the other one. Swim back up (and hope like hell you don't get hit on the way up), destroy the old portal, place a block to end the water flow, and swim down quickly before you lose the cushion to your fall?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

IUG posted:

For the people who are spawning in the nether way up high, why not use a bucket of water to descend and put out some lava around the area. Then you just have to make a quick shelter, dig out some obsidian, and make a portal directly below the other one. Swim back up (and hope like hell you don't get hit on the way up), destroy the old portal, place a block to end the water flow, and swim down quickly before you lose the cushion to your fall?

Buckets of water evaporate instantly in the nether. If you leave a block of ice sitting around it will turn into water, though. However, while it used to be possible during the 1.9 prereleases to harvest ice with the silk touch enchantment, it isn't possible in 1.0. The only way to get ice is to cheat with something like TooManyItems, use Creative Mode, or get it out of a chest from something generated by a mod, like WalledCities or GreatWall, which have Ice as a reward in their dungeon chests sometimes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The more I'm visiting The Nether and working on it, the more I'm coming to appreciate my ceiling portal.

I've been able to explore a bit more and I'll probably be able to work out a decent path to the bottom, as well as some bridges. Got a ton of soul sand and a bunch of glowstone. Apparently you can't melee Ghasts, so I'll have to start crafting arrows if I want to even hope to get their tears. Fought some of those magma blob things (tiny versions), but they didn't drop anything.

No sign of anything else yet though. How common are fortresses?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jamesman posted:

The more I'm visiting The Nether and working on it, the more I'm coming to appreciate my ceiling portal.

I've been able to explore a bit more and I'll probably be able to work out a decent path to the bottom, as well as some bridges. Got a ton of soul sand and a bunch of glowstone. Apparently you can't melee Ghasts, so I'll have to start crafting arrows if I want to even hope to get their tears. Fought some of those magma blob things (tiny versions), but they didn't drop anything.

No sign of anything else yet though. How common are fortresses?

Hit their fireballs with your sword and bounce them back. It works, really!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I know about that. It's incredibly hard to do though and the window for hitting the fireball is pretty small.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

IUG posted:

For the people who are spawning in the nether way up high, why not use a bucket of water to descend and put out some lava around the area.

And while you're at it, you might as well place a bed down and take a nice nap there, too.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, I know about that. It's incredibly hard to do though and the window for hitting the fireball is pretty small.

It's bullshit to do it in SMP although it "works". Usually though the fireball is actually behind you as far as the server is concerned when you are seeing it in your client within sword range. It's a lot easier to do in SSP.
It's worth noting though that usually, Ghasts have poo poo aim; in my experience they fire just above your head.

CaptainCaveman posted:

And while you're at it, you might as well place a bed down and take a nice nap there, too.

And then you should attack a zombie pigman.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fortis posted:

It's bullshit to do it in SMP although it "works". Usually though the fireball is actually behind you as far as the server is concerned when you are seeing it in your client within sword range. It's a lot easier to do in SSP.
It's worth noting though that usually, Ghasts have poo poo aim; in my experience they fire just above your head.

It's because ghasts are aiming for your crosshairs, not the player itself. When you're looking up at one, they're then aiming up at it so the fireball usually goes over your head :ssh:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Edit: Oops, this was meant to go in the minecraft mods thread.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

change my name posted:

It's because ghasts are aiming for your crosshairs, not the player itself. When you're looking up at one, they're then aiming up at it so the fireball usually goes over your head :ssh:

I thought that got fixed! Was it only corrected in singleplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

I thought that got fixed! Was it only corrected in singleplayer?

Pretty sure it was never the case? Ghasts have always aimed just slightly over/behind your head. If they're below you, you'll catch a fireball full in the face, but if they're over your head (as they usually are) it'll jut pass over you and destroy whatever's behind you.

However if you hit/arrow/snowball their fireballs, they will indeed travel in a perfectly straight line to wherever your crosshair is aimed. I've gotten really goddamn good at killing ghasts with arrow-deflected fireballs during the construction of my lava temple.

So goddamn many arrows. :suicide: