Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Potsticker posted:

I always figured the nine sides mentioned in that strip referred to:

Lawful Good
Neutral Good
Chaotic Good
Lawful Neutral
True Neutral
Chaotic Neutral
Lawful Evil
Neutral Evil
Chaotic Evil

Well if you go by that idea, then how about this:

Lawful Good - Sapphire Guard
Neutral Good - Order of the Stick*
Chaotic Good - Elves
Lawful Neutral - ????
True Neutral - ????
Chaotic Neutral - Clan Draketooth
Lawful Evil - Tarquin
Neutral Evil - Xykon & Redcloak**
Chaotic Evil - Linear Guild

* = Roy and Haley pretty much make the decisions, and with Roy Lawful and Haley Chaotic, split the difference and call it Neutral Good for the party as a whole.

** = Same deal as with the Order, really.

I don't really think it's broken down like that, though, since the "9 sides" strip explicitly puts Xykon and the Goblins on different sides, though the events in Start of Darkness suggest that Redcloak may just be fooling himself on that score.

If you were to make Xykon and Redcloak two different sides, you'd have to move Xykon to Chaotic Evil and probably bump Redcloak to Lawful Evil, and of course there's the Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission who are in play through the Linear Guild and average out to Neutral Evil. In short, there's too many evil sides to go with the nine alignments system, as much fun as it is to try and break it down that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

To clarify: I thought it was a throwaway joke about the nine alignments and did not mean to seriously suggest that the number of opposing sides in the comic mapped to said alignments.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Potsticker posted:

To clarify: I thought it was a throwaway joke about the nine alignments and did not mean to seriously suggest that the number of opposing sides in the comic mapped to said alignments.

I guessed, but as I said, it's fun to try and track those kind of things. It's why everyone and their mother has one of those Alignment Charts for their favorite characters.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Potsticker posted:

If it was just about alignments, why would the other roach comment that some of the sides haven't been revealed yet? We all know the 3x3 alignment chart.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I don't think we can keep a track of the nine sides until we know what's with the world in the rift. It'll hide one side at least, either the Gods, the Dark One (having a hidden agenda separate to Redcloak) or the citizens of that world itself.

Tiamat / The Oracle might make up another side to the conflict too. I don't think The Oracle is finished quite yet.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
When I was rereading I thought Banjo might count as a side as well. That might also play into the whole meta game around the snarl that is based on the Gods. I don't know how exactly but the idea intrigues me. Traditional Gods - Dark One - Banjo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apocron posted:

When I was rereading I thought Banjo might count as a side as well. That might also play into the whole meta game around the snarl that is based on the Gods. I don't know how exactly but the idea intrigues me. Traditional Gods - Dark One - Banjo.

I will be severely disappointed in the final resolution does not involve Banjo in some necessary way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, those are what--mer-goblins?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Speedball posted:

More likely Goblins that are under the effect of a Waterbreathing spell.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
They're all wearing amulets. Someone has a magic item factory churning out the good stuff.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Nah, they're all probably just low-level clerics. Those are all their holy symbols.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Those aren't amulets, it's the lacing on their shirts. They're just water orcs.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Guyver posted:

Those aren't amulets, it's the lacing on their shirts. They're just water orcs.

Right you are! I missed those creature of the black lagoon ears

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nice art.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Speedball posted:

I was wondering if someone would ask that. Here's the official word.

The Giant posted:

The guys in Panel 3 are intended to be koalinths, a form of aquatic hobgoblin that's been in the game since First Edition. I'm sure they made it into 3.5, too, though I don't see them in the SRD (possibly because the unique name "koalinth" was deemed Product Identity).

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Wait what were the Hobgoblins looking for? Has it been mentioned??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Danzou posted:

Wait what were the Hobgoblins looking for? Has it been mentioned??

Xykon's lost phylactery. It's why they're still in the city.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I was wondering if someone would ask that. Here's the official word.

They're not in the monster index so I don't think they made it into 3.5e. Surprised they didn't get into Stormwrack, since just about every race had an aquatic counterpart.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Unearthed Arcana had both Aquatic Orcs and Aquatic Goblins, but I don't recall seeing "Koalinth" or "Aquatic Hobgoblin" in anything 3.5.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm almost positive "Aquatic" is a template that can be applied onto pretty much anything. And if it isn't you just slap "water-breathing" onto hobgoblins and then you're done.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Who What Now posted:

I'm almost positive "Aquatic" is a template that can be applied onto pretty much anything.

Stop oppressing my culture, you ethnocentric bitch!

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

ZeeToo posted:

Unearthed Arcana had both Aquatic Orcs and Aquatic Goblins, but I don't recall seeing "Koalinth" or "Aquatic Hobgoblin" in anything 3.5.

Fairly sure they're actually in the generic Monster manual, but there's a picture of a Frog-dude on their page which is very confusing. And yeah, they're a WotC trademarked thing, so no SRD.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Cuchulain posted:

Fairly sure they're actually in the generic Monster manual, but there's a picture of a Frog-dude on their page which is very confusing. And yeah, they're a WotC trademarked thing, so no SRD.

Do you mean the kuo-tua? That's not quite a koalinth, I don't believe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reminder: It's been about 140 strips since we last saw the real villain

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rejoinder: I really don't think I care, so long as Tarquin is on panel.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Technically, 86 strips.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Wrong his soul was seen in the last panel of the last strip.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

run DNC posted:

Wrong his soul was seen in the last panel of the last strip.

His soul's not in it unless his body's been destroyed. At least, that's what he claimed in SoD - I don't know the actual D&D rules.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Zetetica posted:

His soul's not in it unless his body's been destroyed. At least, that's what he claimed in SoD - I don't know the actual D&D rules.

That is in the rules. Smash the phylactery without him dead...well, destroyed, I guess...and he can make a new one, albeit at great expense and several weeks of spellcasting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jng2058 posted:

That is in the rules. Smash the phylactery without him dead...well, destroyed, I guess...and he can make a new one, albeit at great expense and several weeks of spellcasting.
And also a profound sense of vulnerability.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well I'm hoping that we're about to find out what Xykon's been doing off screen (and away from the goblins) all this time, and I hope the answer is 'I know where Girard's Gate is'.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's either going to be that, or: "I know who the winner is in this fighting tournament I organized among all the zombified members of the Sapphire Guard."

Cut to a panel of a bunch of zombies dressed up like Street Fighter characters.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Alchenar posted:

Well I'm hoping that we're about to find out what Xykon's been doing off screen (and away from the goblins) all this time, and I hope the answer is 'I know where Girard's Gate is'.
Girard gave the true coordinates to Serini, and Xykon has her diary. So probably.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Danzou posted:

Girard gave the true coordinates to Serini, and Xykon has her diary. So probably.

Actually that makes me pause; Xykon disappeared for a reason, and Rich is better at plotwriting for that reason to be 'do something I didn't need to disappear to do'.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As I posted above, one of the things Xykon did in his absence was to visit the Oracle - who was out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

As I posted above, one of the things Xykon did in his absence was to visit the Oracle - who was out.

Presumably because he saw Xykon coming and got a vision of what would happen if the Big X got the advice he was after. I'm guessing that getting it would have been bad for the world, or for the Oracle personally, so he deftly avoided the issue.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

The first two panels of the next comic are also pretty good.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

jng2058 posted:

Presumably because he saw Xykon coming and got a vision of what would happen if the Big X got the advice he was after. I'm guessing that getting it would have been bad for the world, or for the Oracle personally, so he deftly avoided the issue.

Could be because Modify Memory is a mind-affecting spell (obviously :v: ), which undead are immune to? Xykon wouldn't have forgotten what the Oracle told him. :tinfoil:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: Losers Weepers :siren:

I have to say that I did not see this coming at all. It's exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh no! Please have the next strip be what I hope it will be!