Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Budhisattva posted:

The 39 Steps Hitchcock has a long list of classics; I continue my journey

This is a gem.

I loved Children of Paradise. It has a perfect romantic story and it's supported by excellent characters. It's just such a graceful film, from the camera movements to the sets and costumes, the music, the dialogue - it's all fantastic. What a wonderful movie.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. The Deer Hunter - I started to watch this once a long time ago but I fell asleep during a seemingly unending wedding sequence. It was 4:00 AM.

5. Ben-Hur - I'm not at all looking forward to this one.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Newman and Redford? I'm already sold.

7. Spirited Away - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen. This one looks fun.

8. It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film. This poor film has been here for too long.

10. Children of Paradise The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10 (Total: 101)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

A Short Film About Killing had some interesting moments and concepts, but even though it was short it still dragged on a bit. I'm sure the shorter Dekalog version would have trimmed some of the needless bits at the beginning. Can anyone tell me whether A Short Film About Love is good, or if I should stick to Dekalog VI? 3/5

A Short Film About Love is excellent, and so is the corresponding Dekalog episode. I don't remember what was different between them so I don't know which to recommend. Watch whichever, but watch it.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
e: I am a shameful idiot who sometimes doesn't read instructions.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 27, 2011

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Oh hey, thanks for the update and not reading the thread at all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The last and first time I saw The Godfather Part II I was a dopey teenager and the film's general lack of "action" in the usual sense of the word turned me off. Fortunately I'm not the same person I was then, and this new person really likes people bluffing in dark rooms, which is about 80% of the film's runtime. It's great. Watching Michael negotiate a web of lies is totally gripping and thrilling in a completely different way from his descent in the first part. Pacino's performance is impeccable in this regard. He and Coppola trust that the audience will be able to read his face and negotiate with him as he tells different versions of what he thinks is the truth in an attempt to raise a telling reaction from his listener. Ebert's review picks aggressively at the flashbacks (and he makes some odd assumptions), as did, apparently, most critics, but I didn't find any problem with them. They provide not only an interesting variety, breaking up Michael's otherwise straightforward story, but contrast Michael and Vito's morals and approach to their occupation as well as create a nifty sense of closure (I haven't seen Part III but it seems like it would be a little superfluous).

I make a point of trying to watch only good films. If I hadn't just watched 12 Angry Men this afternoon I'd say that Part II is the best film I've seen in a while.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Au revoir les enfants - Yeah I watched like fifteen minutes of this and then turned it off I dunno.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) La Dolce Vita - It's been years since I've seen this and I was a dumb kid then so I might as well not have.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10 (total: 46)

Atheistdeals.com go ahead and finally take care of La Dolce Vita

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

5) La Dolce Vita - It's been years since I've seen this and I was a dumb kid then so I might as well not have.

I'm going to recommend what you recommended.

I think I'm going to have to take back my "Fellini is busy work" comment, cause Nights of Cabiria is wonderful. In a rare case, the episodic nature of the film didn't bother me at all, and I was in for the emotional ride from the start. Giulietta Masina is just brilliant, I remember her being great on the little I seen from La Strada(Need to finish that one, eventually), and she manages to sell the character perfectly. You end up feeling all the ups and downs of Cabiria's life, and every down seems to hurt even more. The hypnotist scenes are probably the most revealing and beautiful in the film, if only slightly topped by the ending. It's that little look and smile into the camera that sells it. Such a perfect moment. Perfect film really.

Also watched Millenium I- Men Who Hate Women/The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo lot's of titles and subtitles on this one. The titular girl, Lizbeth Salander, is pretty great, the actual mystery the film resolves around is a total bore. Never read the books(I even own these on the Kindle), so maybe the problem comes from there, but the mystery just wasn't all that interesting, and after awhile it starts to drag. Noomi Rapace is the star and she makes the whole thing watchable and I do wonder, if the character would be better off without the daft journalist guy and the weak murder plot. Her scenes before hooking up with Blomkvist were the best, and also the hardest of the film to watch. I'll get around the sequels, though it seems that this trilogy peaks with it's first installment. And of course the Fincher adaption, which by all means should be a lot better than this one. Right?(Don't answer that.)
I still liked it somewhat, and would call it good solely on the basis of Noomi Rapace performance. Though computers don't work like that.

SHAME:

Richard III Long Live King McKellen!

Letter from an Unknown Woman Going in blind on this one.

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

Wild at Heart More wildness from Lynch.

The Virgin Spring More Bergman.

Millennium II-The Girl Who Played with Fire Yeah you'll have to force this one on me.

The Man Who Wasn't There So where was he?

The Cameraman I lack in Buster Keaton knowledge.

Encounters at the End of the World What kind of weird people and things will Herzog discover in then frozen wastes?

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

Have watched so far 43 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Electronico6 posted:

The Man Who Wasn't There So where was he?

Possibly the most forgotten Coen movie. Very good stuff.

I really don't know who Irreversible was targeted towards. It's a gimmicky movie with intense violence and a harsh rape scene. It's an interesting stylistic choice to show the climax/payoff/what-have-you and slowly reveal what led to it but the characters are poorly defined, it's all surface. That's the problem with the movie, less so than the nauseating camerawork and the repulsive and ugly imagery. That imagery, despite feeling hollow, is effective and it should be sickening to the viewer. It's not a lighthearted romp. But really it seems like the characterization was an afterthought to excessive violence and the rape. Noe shocks but he doesn't make a great movie. It's unpleasant and nothing I'd recommend or watch again.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4) The Virgin Spring - I heard it's one of Bergman's darkest and a bit of an influence on Last House on the Left. Not sure what to expect.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6) Carlos - I have some time to kill in the next few weeks.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) The Red Shoes - Looks beautiful, is touted as essential by Scorsese (the director whose films got me into movies) and somehow I've never gotten to it.

9) Che - Long but it's Soderbergh and Del Toro so I expect to like it.

10) Revanche - German revenge movie on Criterion? Sign me up.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible (TOTAL: 57)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

No surprise, I loved That Obscure Object of Desire. The two actress gimmick was brilliant - they both played such different women. Angela Molina was completely intoxicating in that Fellini way, and Carole Bouquet felt like a Woody Allen girl. Actually, gently caress, ya know what they were like? Kunis/Portman in Black Swan. Fernando Rey was great, too. He brings something really interesting to his Bunuel roles - they have very little dimension, yet feel real somehow. The decay all around them - from the fly in the glass to the street murder - was so quietly unnerving. It's not quite up to the standards of his masterpieces, but it's a unique cinematic voice at the height of his game, and a great note to go out on. 8.5/10

Ratedargh, The Virgin Spring is drat good.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

Farewell, My Lovely I do love Mitchum.

new: Deep Red Two hour version or hour and a half version?

Advise and Consent Somehow I always thought this and The Americanization of Emily were the same movie.

Little Man, What Now? or Man's Castle I went through a big Borzage phase, but someone I couldn't get back into him after. I need a push to remember how much I love him.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

The Structure of Crystals This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

The Blue Angel I don't know much about this.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem Same deal as The Structure of Crystals.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10)

Total: 126
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ratedargh posted:

I really don't know who Irreversible was targeted towards. It's a gimmicky movie with intense violence and a harsh rape scene. It's an interesting stylistic choice to show the climax/payoff/what-have-you and slowly reveal what led to it but the characters are poorly defined, it's all surface. That's the problem with the movie, less so than the nauseating camerawork and the repulsive and ugly imagery. That imagery, despite feeling hollow, is effective and it should be sickening to the viewer. It's not a lighthearted romp. But really it seems like the characterization was an afterthought to excessive violence and the rape. Noe shocks but he doesn't make a great movie. It's unpleasant and nothing I'd recommend or watch again.

Irreversible is one of my favorites. It is the type of movie that demands you to analyze it as you watch. It completely turns the revenge exploitation genre on its head.

You focused on the wrong thing.

(Hope this isn't too disjointed. It has been awhile since I watched it.)

After the monologue from the character from Gaspar Noé's first movie and seeing the aftermath of what happened, the movie begins with the main character completely out of control trying to find somebody. His friend tries to stop him but he pushes on. The camera's movements are tied to the main character's rage. Since it is the end, it drunkly sways about. As he searches for the man, we only get to see glimpses of the depravity going on. It's disorienting. Also notice how the camera movements slow as the movie progresses.

Think about most revenge movies. Our main character should be the hero, the person we are cheering for, but here he looks like a madman. The next two (well chronologically past) scenes have him threatening to kill a prostitute/rape victim for more information and stealing a taxi. Since we don't know the backstory, we can't hand wave away his actions. He is what he is. A rampaging monster.

Back to Rectum, the main character finds who he thinks he is looking for and attacks him. The man breaks his arm and moves to gently caress him in the rear end. Now keep in mind that later in the movie the main character is established as a manly man/jerk. Out of nowhere the main character's friend (who we later find out is the pussy ex-boyfriend of the girl who was raped) bashes the man in the face with a fire extinguisher. The threat was gone but he continues to hit him.

Skipping forward a little bit, we see the girl getting carted away to the ambulance and the devastation on the main character's face when he sees her. We can feel sorry for him. Excuse what we just saw.

From the rape on, think of the movie in reverse. Each section, has a key decision or action that propels the girl towards her doom. A thing that seemed insignificant at the time but if changed, would have saved her.

All of the sudden, we can see what we thought was the main character's rage, the thing that was pushing him forward in the first half, for what it truly was. Guilt. Same with the friend who killed the wrong man. It wasn't a noble action to save his friend or to get revenge for the girl. It was anger/frustration.

The movie ends with us finding out that the girl is/was pregnant. What should be a high note is actually the knife being twisted in our hearts.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 28, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Sporadic posted:

:words: about Irreversible

If I could remove any part of what I wrote it would be my first sentence about not knowing who the intended audience was. I slept on it and, believe me, everything you mentioned is apparent to me. I still think it's vile and ugly but that does accentuate the brutal nature of the subject matter.

I was talking with a friend about the movie today and he summed up my thoughts more clearly. He said it's a movie he could never recommend or even watch again but if he knew someone had started watching it, he'd encourage them to stick through until the end. It's effective. The reverse chronology works better than I gave it credit for initially but I still think the characters are slightly hollow. It is kind of beside the point. After half a day or more, this movie keeps repeating in my head and I keep thinking about it. My friend I was talking to says it still stays with him even though he saw it years ago. He was also under the impression that the perp was the one who got his head bashed in. When I told him otherwise, his jaw dropped.

The pregnancy is teased so I wasn't surprised by that. Or if it wasn't teased, exactly, I did figure that out. I noticed the camera slowdown, I noticed the evolution of the main character but I don't necessarily agree that we're supposed to excuse him for his actions. Isn't part of the point that vengeance doesn't really work? It's not all surface like I said but I do think the majority of the film is an exercise in shock and any substance beneath that almost drowns.

It's not a terrible movie (and I never intended it to come off that way) but it is an unpleasant watch that I don't think I'd subject myself to again.

It symmetrically fit with The Virgin Spring, another revenge movie following the typical chronology. It's quieter and, while not as much so as Irreversible, it's very unsettling. The theme of blame comes off strongest here and like most vengeful movies, the payoff for the one seeking it doesn't heal all the wounds. These stories are tragic but those who are responsible for the murder/rape aren't just faceless, evil-doers. They have their own setbacks. Of course this doesn't excuse their actions but it humanizes them in a way.

penismightier posted:

Farewell, My Lovely I do love Mitchum.

Here you go!

LIST O SHAME:

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3)Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4)Island of Lost Souls - Old, wacky, horrorish movie about Dr. Moreau. It's gotta be better than the Brando monstrosity.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

8) The Red Shoes - Looks beautiful, is touted as essential by Scorsese (the director whose films got me into movies) and somehow I've never gotten to it.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring (TOTAL: 58)

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Ratedargh posted:

There you go.

The 39 Steps is a good movie for its time, although it does not come across as Hitchcock's finest work. This is the earliest of his films I have seen, and the only one from his British era. The closest that I'm familiar with is Notorious, ten years later. Some of the scenes I found memorable were escaping through the Scottish countryside, and the scenario with the handcuffs. The spy-thriller aspect was just alright, later to be smoothed out in films like North by Northwest.

Updated list:

The Naked City Always seeking more film noir

Dial M for Murder Hitchcock has a long list of classics; I continue my journey

Le Doulos Taking it back to one of Melville's earlier successes

Hud Been building up to this from other westerns and gaining an appreciation for Paul Newman

Doctor Zhivago Here we go on another David Lean epic

Midnight Cowboy Willing to check this out for Hoffman alone

Duck, You Sucker! Guess I ought to see the middle installment in Leone's trilogy

Patton George C. Scott seems very appropriate for the lead role, and it has been recommended to me for years.

That Obscure Object of Desire The last Buñuel I'm waiting to see

Bugsy A different gangster movie with a Morricone soundtrack

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10 , The French Connection 9/10 , Ace in the Hole 8.5/10 , Sanjuro 8.5/10 , All That Jazz 7/10 , The Maltese Falcon 9/10 , The Grapes of Wrath 9/10 , Amadeus 9.5/10 , The 39 Steps 8/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Ratedargh posted:

4)Island of Lost Souls - Old, wacky, horrorish movie about Dr. Moreau. It's gotta be better than the Brando monstrosity.

Island of Lost Souls is not wacky.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

penismightier posted:

Island of Lost Souls is not wacky.

Any movie that gives top billing to an actress only referred to as "Panther Girl" may be described as slightly wacky.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Budhisattva posted:

Dial M for Murder Hitchcock has a long list of classics; I continue my journey

Enjoy!

The Man Who Wasn't There was great. A very slow-paced, but the good kind of slow pace, Noir, with amazing B&W photography(Roger Deakings :swoon:) and filled with some of that good absurd and black humour by the Coens. But behind all that absurdity(and it does get crazy, if understated) there lies a really dark and depressing tale. It's really loving downbeat, and you don't quite register it until it's all over. The humour and the gorgeous B&W photography seem to conspire to fool you into a direction, while the rest of the film works on this meticulous bleak vision of this poor modern man, who is a Barber. Billy Bob Thornton's narration is pitch perfection as his performance, and really Roger Deakins is amazing. Smoking in B&W never looked so good.

SHAME:

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

Millennium II-The Girl Who Played with Fire Yeah you'll have to force this one on me.

Encounters at the End of the World What kind of weird people and things will Herzog discover in then frozen wastes?

The Purple Rose of Cairo Does the film live up to the interesting premise?

Have watched so far 44 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

This is a wonderful documentary.

I was very disappointed with La Dolce Vita. It was such a chore to get through. I felt that while trying to show how empty and sad all of these rich people's lives are, the film itself gets bogged down in all these boring, pointless scenarios. There are a few interesting moments throughout Marcello's journey, and the cinematography and lighting is superb - but I thought this was just a pretty mess.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. The Deer Hunter - I started to watch this once a long time ago but I fell asleep during a seemingly unending wedding sequence. It was 4:00 AM.

7. Spirited Away - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen. This one looks fun.

9. La Dolce Vita Magnolia - I've loved the 3 Paul Thomas Anderson films that I've seen.

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4 (Total: 102)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Might as well watch this.

The Last Emperor - Puyi really led a strange life. Being at the tail end of a monarchy and surviving is fortuitous I suppose. I ended up watching the 218 minute director's cut/TV version of the film. I found it interesting and have been reading about China/Japan history from this time more (usually do this after any historical film). I don't know if the film would've been better or worse without all the flashforward scenes going to the 1950s prison.

PS The DVD I watched this on was pretty bad, low quality and had lots of noticeable defects. I checked online and many have complained about it. I'm sure the Criterion is much better.

also watched:

Anatomy of a Murder - This was pretty good. Some of the exterior scenes looked a lot like something from Touch of Evil. The courtroom scenes came across as comical (the banter and sparring between Scott and Stewart) especially for a trial concerning rape and murder. When it's all said and done I'm still not a big fan of courtrooms in film.

Shakespeare in Love - Colin Firth as a roadblock to true love with Fiennes brothers seems to be a recipe for success at the Oscars. If I didn't know some of Shakespeare's plays this would've been more confusing. Should it be assumed and taken for granted that anyone should know the stories well?

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

Elite Squad - Not on the list but the sequel is. Never heard of it. 11/9/11

#250 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Don't know much about it. 11/20/11

Three Colors: Blue - "Red" is ranked higher on IMDb but I should start with this. I've heard these talked about for many years now. 12/9/11

new #256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

Academy Award for Best Picture:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11

1997 Titanic - Cameron is truly a visionary (in all the good ways) and I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him thus far. I did a research paper on the ship itself a while ago. I also remember going to see a Titanic exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry. They had this frozen block of ice to illustrate just how cold the water was for the people who couldn't make it onto a boat. The ship was launched just over 100 years ago so it might be time to watch this. 12/3/11

1989 Driving Miss Daisy - Don't know much about it. 12/8/11

new 1985 Out of Africa - Can't say I know anything about it. 12/29/11

new 1983 Terms of Endearment - Heard the name before. 12/29/11

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Zogo posted:

Three Colors: Blue - "Red" is ranked higher on IMDb but I should start with this. I've heard these talked about for many years now. 12/9/11

Start the trilogy!

Someone on Criticker (might be a goon. e: It's DaunteVicknabb!) described The Red Shoes as a dark Singin' in the Rain. Having seen the latter recently for the first time and now The Red Shoes, I'm inclined to agree. It's also better. The Red Shoes is an incredible piece of cinema. The Criterion restoration is gorgeous. At times it looks like it could have been filmed recently and not 60+ years ago. It's tragic, haunting, hopeful and an all around masterpiece. Lermontov and Craster couldn't get over their personal ownership of Victoria Page forcing her to choose and it tore her apart.

Also, the makeup, the sets, everything was top notch. It's cliché, but this is a feast for the eyes. Really enjoyed the short restoration demonstration on the Blu-Ray with Scorsese.

3)Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4)Island of Lost Souls - Old, seemingly wacky (I haven't seen it, how would I know?), horrorish movie about Dr. Moreau. It's gotta be better than the Brando monstrosity.

8) Metropolis - Silent German sci-fi from Fritz Lang? Length has always held me back.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes (TOTAL: 59)

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 30, 2011

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Howdy folks, missed you guys, winter break is here so it's time to watch some movies.

Ratedargh, go watch Deconstructing Harry, I'm secretly hoping to start up a Woody Allen chain so someone will pick Manhattan for me.

Anyway, I just watched Dr. Strangelove.... I don't know. It was certainly presented very well, and my goodness can Sellers can act. I think though that my biggest problem with it was that it felt a bit directionless. It seemed as though Kubrick didn't have a vision so much as the desire to make a movie about crazy military poo poo. In a way, I also think the fact that War Games was a big childhood movie for me kinda dampened the effect of this. I wish I had seen Strangelove first, but whatever.

I do think it was good, it was a quick and easy watch and the characters were all fun and engaging. At the end of the day though, it felt too much like a farce when it was trying to be a satire. I could be way off, but hey, it's how I took the movie.

I'll through a 7 at it

My New List

1. How To Train Your Dragon

I avoided this mainly due to being a Pixar loyalist, but it may be nice to step out of my comfort zone a bit. Also, the girlfriend wants to see it, so that’ll be fun.

2. *NEW* Terminator 2: Judgment Day *NEW*

I still haven't liked anything I've seen by Cameron all that much. I've heard nothing but good things about this though, the first one was... fine? It wasn't all that memorable for me.

3. The Night of the Hunter

Seems to be a favorite around here. Generally, I find noir hard to grasp. I'm willing to give the genre another good try though.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. Unforgiven
Not a whole to say about this other than it’s high up on my flickchart list of movies I haven’t seen. I really don’t like Hackman but I’ve heard he’s good in this so maybe this will turn my opinion around.

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I just saw Super 8 and it made me really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. Badlands

Haven't seen any Malick yet, and the trailer for the Tree of Life looked really god drat good. I'd like to be exposed to something of his before I check out Tree of Life.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Manhattan

My first Woody pick was one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve gotten out of this thread, I’ve heard Manhattan is one of his best, definitely looking forward to this one.

10. Ikiru

I've tried to finish this 2 times. Each time, I got further into it, and I genuinely loved what I've seen. Things got in the way both times, I don't really remember what or how. Anyway, with this thread's support, I'm sure I'll finish and love the drat thing.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 2, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
So my dad no longer has his copy of 2001, which meant it took a lot longer than I expected to see it. But I now have and- what the hell was that? No, seriously, what was that? All right, first there was the whole "birth of man" thing, which was strange but enjoyable. Then the movie proper started, and we had extremely long scenes of objects moving through space to classical music. It was basically a ballet in space, which I'm pretty sure is how others have described it in the past. I can respect that, but it was so slow I lost interest. The human dialogue was rare, which may have been a good thing, because it was pretty dull. Clarke tended to focus more on technological challenges than engaging human characters, and Kubrick's typical mechanical directing only added to it. I've generally liked Kubrick and Clarke, but this seemed lifeless. Ironically, the most interesting character wasn't human. I enjoyed Hal's scenes a lot, but when they ended- again, what the hell is this? So, we get an enormous laser light show, old people in a bedroom, and then a fetus meeting the earth? What? I think it's supposed to be like Dave evolved to a new life form, and since it was the birth of a new life form, it appears as a baby. But again, it's just strange. I don't get the point, and I was mostly bored. I give credit for the amount of skill that went into the construction of the film and how it took sci-fi seriously, but I was alternately bored and confused for most of the movie.

Rating: 2.5/4

On the other hand, Close Encounters of the Third Kind was an excellent movie about first contact with aliens.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

29. Gandhi- Bald Ben Kingsley takes on the British Empire. P.S. Ben Kingsley is British. Sure, why not.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

31. Brazil- So a Monty Python guy made a trippy Orwellian sci-fi movie. Sounds fun!

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Jurgan, go ahead and watch Deer Hunter, it's a movie that I shouldn't have loved, but did for some reason. Tons of tension, if you like that kind of thing.

Close Encounters was really great, but I do have some bones to pick. :siren:Spoilers ahead, not gonna bother tagging since I've given some warning here.:siren:

I love love love the perspective of this film. In any given "Extraneous Event" film there is a conflict of presenting the "EE" in the light of a narrow focus, Neary and his family, and the broad, typically governmental one. The film nailed both, so loving hard.

The sense of wonder that Neary has is passed on beautifully to the viewer, as well as his kids. The "daddy needs help" scene, where his kids are being torn away by their mother was heartbreaking to me. My bone to pick with all of this, is that it seems like Spielberg REALLY wanted us to care about these kids and their reaction to their father's breakdown... and then hey, he leaves at the end of the movie and there's 0 resolution there. He didn't seem to give any fucks at all that he was abandoning his kids (I may only have a huge problem with this since I'm a social worker and I see this kind of poo poo all the time).

Anyway, on the broader perspective, it was somewhat unbelievable that there wasn't any form of military presence at the contact point at the end. I didn't see a single gun anywhere, and that kind of bothered me, BUT, I do appreciate that this was a movie that just didn't need guns, if that makes any sense.

Those are my nitpicks, and they really are only a small aside from what was otherwise a very enjoyable and gripping film. I love the feel of films like this, where a whole community interacts with a phenomenon. Also, yet again, the effects of the past look way better than most CGI today, the ships were beautiful.

Great flick, had a blast watching it. 8.5/10

My New List

I avoided this mainly due to being a Pixar loyalist, but it may be nice to step out of my comfort zone a bit. Also, the girlfriend wants to see it, so that’ll be fun.

2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

I still haven't liked anything I've seen by Cameron all that much. I've heard nothing but good things about this though, the first one was... fine? It wasn't all that memorable for me.

Seems to be a favorite around here. Generally, I find noir hard to grasp. I'm willing to give the genre another good try though.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. Unforgiven
Not a whole to say about this other than it’s high up on my flickchart list of movies I haven’t seen. I really don’t like Hackman but I’ve heard he’s good in this so maybe this will turn my opinion around.

6. *NEW* Roman Holiday *NEW*

Loved what I saw of this. Hepburn is cute as hell and this really just seems like a barrel of fun.

7. Badlands

Haven't seen any Malick yet, and the trailer for the Tree of Life looked really god drat good. I'd like to be exposed to something of his before I check out Tree of Life.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Manhattan

My first Woody pick was one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve gotten out of this thread, I’ve heard Manhattan is one of his best, definitely looking forward to this one.

10. Ikiru

I've tried to finish this 2 times. Each time, I got further into it, and I genuinely loved what I've seen. Things got in the way both times, I don't really remember what or how. Anyway, with this thread's support, I'm sure I'll finish and love the drat thing.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Chili posted:

8. The Bicycle Thief

It's a very upbeat father and son bonding film. Perfect for the holidays!

Encounters at the End of the World, more than the wildlife and the land itself, it's mostly about the people who chose to live on the frozen landscape of the Antarctic. The strange and oddball folk that Herzog finds, all have very fascinating stories and views on the world, and they end up stealing the spotlight from the glorious Ice landmarks. Though I suspect that was the point, to discover what compelled Herzog and others to go into this(and other)inhospitable world. The penguin going off into the unknown marks it perfectly.
Also Herzog should narrate every documentary only to get more great lines like "abominations such as an aerobic studio and yoga classes.". Abominations indeed.

SHAME:

Hard Eight Only PTA feature film I have left to watch.

Have watched so far 45 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

This is supposed to be one of his best, though I haven't seen it yet.

Just finished The Deer Hunter. It has it's ups and downs - I thought the film's portrayal of the Vietnamese mostly as evil maniacs was an unfortunate decision. And there are a lot of pointless scenes, this didn't need to be 3 hours long. However, the depth of the American characters, anchored by some great performances, and some of the most intense scenes I've ever seen in a war movie really made up for the bad parts in my opinion.

4. The Deer Hunter MASH - Going in a slightly different direction when it comes to 70s war films.

9. Magnolia - I've loved the 3 Paul Thomas Anderson films that I've seen.

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8 (Total: 103)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Might as well get it out of the way then. I've never seen it, either.

Electronico6 posted:

Well there's these samurai, seven of them

So, after a small fiasco involving Netflix not having my current address, I finally got around to watching Seven Samurai. I liked it a lot! It's aged quite well. The plot is compelling without being convoluted. The acting from most of the main characters is quite good. I'm not familiar with the history of Japanese acting/theatre, but I'm wondering how much of Kikuchiyo's method is part of that - it seemed very stage appropriate. That being said, I still really enjoyed the character of Kikuchiyo. I found myself rooting for him through the majority of the movie and I enjoyed his arc.

On the acting note, the only thing I found distracting was just how pathetic the farmers are. There's so much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the beginning of the movie I was beginning to worry that that would be the tone of the whole movie. It did provide a nice contrast to the Samurai, and showed how much the farmers had changed from the beginning to the end, but it was a little too much for me at the beginning.

As far as directing goes, I loved this movie. It's the first Kurosawa movie I've ever seen, and I was blown away by the directing in this movie. It was never distracting at all. I didn't even notice it at the beginning of the movie - I had a moment where I remembered how lauded Kurosawa is so I decided to pay more attention to the way the movie was shot and it sort of blew me away.

The pacing of this movie was interesting - also theatrical in its own way. It's a hefty film (about 3 1/2 hours) and it's more or less divided into thirds. Get Samurai, Samurai yucking it up in farm town, big battle. I especially appreciated how much time was dedicated to the second and third parts. I really felt like I got to see every defensive strategy being used by the Samurai and I got to see every small battle, puncuated by Shimada crossing off the dots on the map.

All in all this movie is easily in my top five favorite films. With the exception of some melodramatic acting and a not-so-interesting love story (which might have been par for the course back then, I don't know), I thought it was more or less flawless.

1.) Schindler's List. This is a movie I've always meant to watch but I don't think I've ever seen it on TV or anything. I assume it's pretty depressing and sometimes it's hard to get people excited to watch something like that. I expect to like this movie.

2.) Goodfellas. After crossing Godfather parts I and II from my personal list a few years ago several of my friends told me I'd like this film. I like De Niro and Ray Liotta so I expect to enjoy this, too. Something about a snitch.

3.) A Clockwork Orange. I remember my dad telling me about this movie when I was young and it scared the poo poo out of me. At least that's how I remember it. There are a handful of Kubrick movies I need to see but I think this will be the next one I watch.

4.) Casablanca. A classic favorite and I don't think I've ever seen a minute of it. Something about a war, a piano, and a hill of beans. The hill of beans might have been from Gone With the Wind, which I've also never seen, someone says hill of beans in one of those movies.

5.) North by Northwest. I don't think I've ever seen a Hitchcock movie all the way through and I've always wanted to. I don't know the plot of this movie but I'm pretty sure it involves Mount Rushmore at some point.

6.) The Incredibles. This is the only non-Cars Pixar movie I've never seen. When it was new I was in a phase where I thought family movies were stupid. Pixar proved me wrong a few years later but I have yet to remedy this.

7.) The Godfather Part III. Now, I don't expect this movie to be great, just because of all the poo poo people have talked about it. That being said, I put it on the list anyway, because I've been meaning to watch it for so long. The first two Godfather movies are two of my favorite movies of all time, so I figure I need to bite the bullet and go through with this.

8.) Sixth Sense. I know the plot, I know the twist, I know all that stuff. I've never seen a lick of this movie or any other M. Night movie. I hear this is his best one, so I'd like to see it. I'm just not big on horror movies.

9.) Yojimbo. Seven Samurai has pretty much convinced me to keep a Kurosawa film on here.

10.) Reservoir Dogs. I've seen Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds, and both Kill Bills. I liked the first three and enjoyed parts of the Kill Bills. I expect to enjoy this movie quiet a bit because I think this is more the style of Tarantino that I enjoy.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai (4.5/5)

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 3, 2012

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm not picking for you yet, cause I still have Bicycle Thief to watch, but I just wanted to let you know that this:

Seaniqua posted:

4.) Casablanca. A classic favorite and I don't think I've ever seen a minute of it. Something about a war, a piano, and a hill of beans. The hill of beans might have been from Gone With the Wind, which I've also never seen, someone says hill of beans in one of those movies.

Got a really good chuckle out of me.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

All in all this movie is easily in my top five favorite films.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai (4/5)

:confused:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Seaniqua, watch GoodFellas, the greatest movie of the 90s.

Alright, I'm jumping back into the fray. I submitted a list way back when but never even got started; I had so many movies and so much free time that I'd never be able to convince myself to watch what was picked for me. Now that I have a job, my problem is the opposite: I have a hard time working up the energy after work to watch films, so I spend my time lazing on the internet. This should get me off my rear end. I'm going to pick stuff that's on my recent radar to alleviate the problem I had earlier, though.

1. Talk to Her/Volver - Pick one or the other. I've only seen Almodovar's All About My Mother, which was excellent, so I got these from Netflix afterwards...and they've been sitting on my shelf for three months. Whoops.

2. Curse of the Cat People - Just watched the original, which was a very solid old horror movie, so I'm interested to see how they followed it up.

3. The House is Black - An Iranian documentary about an honest-to-God leper colony? Oooh, boy, this sounds soul-crushing. I may have to wash this down with something light...thankfully it's only 20 minutes.

4. La Jetée - Speaking of short, I have no excuse to not have seen this yet. I've been intrigued by the idea of a film made from stills ever since I heard about it.

5. Macbeth - The 1984 Bela Tarr version. Considering I'm making a thread about his movies I should probably see this. What cineaste doesn't get hard at the idea of an hour-long tracking shot? Other than the female ones I guess.

6. Akira - My animé exposure is limited to Ghibli and Ghost in the Shell. I'm not terribly interested in the genre for the most part, but this does look pretty interesting and it's enough of a touchstone to grab my attention.

7. Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy - I totally bought the blu-ray box set of this during the last Criterion sale and totally have not even opened it. What is wrong with me? If you pick this I'll be watching them all in order if you wanna give me a triple dose.

8. Night Moves - I actually started this a couple months ago and in the middle the power went out for like half an hour. I'm kind of an anal-retentive Nazi about watching movies start-to-finish so that killed it for me at the time but I'm ready to start again.

9. Nosferatu the Vampyre - The only feature in that Anchor Bay Herzog/Kinski set I haven't watched yet. I was waiting to see the original first but I did that like two years ago so yeah uh. Better late than never.

10. Get Carter - The original. Michael Caine tearing poo poo up looks promising. Kinda lacking in British gangster movies as well.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Atheistdeals.com posted:

:confused:

Point taken, I upped it to 4.5. I thought about giving it 5/5 but I'm wary to give movies a perfect score after my first viewing. Especially with a huge work like Seven Samurai I'll need to watch it a few more times to really absorb it.

Also when I really love a hyped up movie the first time I see it I'm worried that I might be over scoring it just because it's so fresh in my mind.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

Point taken, I upped it to 4.5. I thought about giving it 5/5 but I'm wary to give movies a perfect score after my first viewing. Especially with a huge work like Seven Samurai I'll need to watch it a few more times to really absorb it.

Also when I really love a hyped up movie the first time I see it I'm worried that I might be over scoring it just because it's so fresh in my mind.

Rate movies however you want! I just thought it was a little funny seeing those two things juxtaposed together. :)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seaniqua posted:

So, after a small fiasco involving Netflix not having my current address, I finally got around to watching Seven Samurai. I liked it a lot! It's aged quite well. The plot is compelling without being convoluted. The acting from most of the main characters is quite good. I'm not familiar with the history of Japanese acting/theatre, but I'm wondering how much of Kikuchiyo's method is part of that - it seemed very stage appropriate. That being said, I still really enjoyed the character of Kikuchiyo. I found myself rooting for him through the majority of the movie and I enjoyed his arc.

That's just Toshiro Mifune acting style. He is very unique in that respect.

Criminal Minded posted:

10. Get Carter - The original. Michael Caine tearing poo poo up looks promising. Kinda lacking in British gangster movies as well.

If you don't watch it, Michael Caine will come to your house, murder you and steal your food.

The Cameraman is excellent fun. With some good camerawork to throw around, the gags are near perfect and some of the stunts impressive, though that seems to be a staple of Buster KEaton, the romance is quite touching without going into severe melodrama and getting in the way of the homour, and really never fails to entertain. The monkey was great too. I guess MGM does have a point in calling a perfect comedy.

SHAME:

Hard Eight Only PTA feature film I have left to watch.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Keeping up with the physical comedy hour.

Have watched so far 46 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I saw Mifune as a master of physical comedy- I loved they way he scrambled around on all fours like a monkey, and then leaped up barricades so nimbly. I'm usually not a fan of slapstick (that's why Duck Soup was hard for me to get through), but it worked here. He's much less refined in his style than the other samurai, which makes sense because he was the only one who wasn't a samurai from birth.

While we're on the subject, I want to thank the thread for making me watch this movie. Others, too, but Seven Samurai was my favorite of the thread, to the point where I instantly put it on my Amazon list. I just got it for Christmas last week, so happy holidays to the Shame thread!

Question: I probably want to add some more Kurosawa to my knowledge- what other movies (other than Seven Samurai and Rashomon) of his are essential? I've seen Yojimbo mentioned on this thread a lot, but I've also seen Ran listed as great. I've also heard of Hidden Fortress, which is not considered as great, but I might be interested to see how it inspired Star Wars. Any suggestions?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think any "essential" Kurosawa list would be:

Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Ikiru
Yojimbo
Ran

My personal favorites also include:

Red Beard
High and Low
The Bad Sleep Well
Dodes-kaden

Hidden Fortress is a ton of fun.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I saw Mifune as a master of physical comedy- I loved they way he scrambled around on all fours like a monkey, and then leaped up barricades so nimbly. I'm usually not a fan of slapstick (that's why Duck Soup was hard for me to get through), but it worked here. He's much less refined in his style than the other samurai, which makes sense because he was the only one who wasn't a samurai from birth.

While we're on the subject, I want to thank the thread for making me watch this movie. Others, too, but Seven Samurai was my favorite of the thread, to the point where I instantly put it on my Amazon list. I just got it for Christmas last week, so happy holidays to the Shame thread!

Question: I probably want to add some more Kurosawa to my knowledge- what other movies (other than Seven Samurai and Rashomon) of his are essential? I've seen Yojimbo mentioned on this thread a lot, but I've also seen Ran listed as great. I've also heard of Hidden Fortress, which is not considered as great, but I might be interested to see how it inspired Star Wars. Any suggestions?

Yojimbo and High Low should be your priorities, you have Kurosawa on top of his game and you also get Mifune showing a lot of different range and depth in his acting skills. I find The Bad Sleep Well, Ikiru, Ran and Red Beard also top Kurosawa.

P.S: I actually find The Hidden Fortress a bit daft and sometimes annoying, though that central sword/spear fight is quite something.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 3, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Chili posted:

I just wanted to let you know that this:
:words:
Got a really good chuckle out of me.

I'm glad - that's the second time someone has mentioned it. Over Christmas, I actually asked my dad which movie the "hill of beans" line is in, and he told me, but I've already completely forgotten. Sure, I could just google it, but I'd rather it be an organic discovery.

Electronico6 posted:

That's just Toshiro Mifune acting style. He is very unique in that respect.

Jurgan posted:

I saw Mifune as a master of physical comedy- I loved they way he scrambled around on all fours like a monkey, and then leaped up barricades so nimbly.

He actually had me laughing quite a bit. His style was sort of jarring at first, but after a while I was pretty amazed at the level of energy he used in every single scene.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Electronico6, you get Hard Eight

The Lost Weekend was great Wilder. i didn't really sympathize with the main character though because he cam across as such an rear end in a top hat to everyone around him. I know it was supposed to be about the demons of alcoholism, but I wonder if he was just as much of an rear end in a top hat sober as well. Ray Milland was awesome though, as he was in every frame of this movie and he sold it well. I wasn't really rooting for any redemption by the end though. Maybe that was the point.

1) Patton- Another war film I haven't seen
2) Nashville- more Altman
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Amadeus- been meaning to get to this one
5) Le Doulos- Bring on the French crime films, I'm loving them
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Ran- More epic Kurosawa please
10) The Searchers- because it's time

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard, Rififi, Winchester '73, The Asphalt Jungle, Paths of Glory, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Last Year at Marienbad, His Girl Friday, MASH, Once Upon a Time In America, Sweet Smell of Success, The Lost Weekend

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oooh, man. I so badly want to give you Nashville, but I can't do it with Amadeus, which is pretty much the perfect synthesis of high art and entertainment, sitting there in front of me. Go forth and watch classical music.

Get Carter was pretty drat cool. Michael Caine, as expected, was a straight-up poo poo-kicking badass, and watching him work his way through London's seedy underground, rarely losing control or the upper hand, was a lot of...well, I'm uncomfortable using the word "fun" here. Definitely very similar to Peckinpah (a comparison aided by the presence of a topless Britt Eklund), and in some ways even more nihilistic than Straw Dogs is. There's some absolutely vicious, cruelly ironic deaths in this movie. It's not a very sexy movie - nothing here that really gets my blood pumping - but it's a fun crime thriller with a very solid story and a killer lead. That's plenty good enough.

1. Talk to Her/Volver - Pick one or the other. I've only seen Almodovar's All About My Mother, which was excellent, so I got these from Netflix afterwards...and they've been sitting on my shelf for three months. Whoops.
2. Curse of the Cat People - Just watched the original, which was a very solid old horror movie, so I'm interested to see how they followed it up.
3. The House is Black - An Iranian documentary about an honest-to-God leper colony? Oooh, boy, this sounds soul-crushing. I may have to wash this down with something light...thankfully it's only 20 minutes.
4. La Jetée - Speaking of short, I have no excuse to not have seen this yet. I've been intrigued by the idea of a film made from stills ever since I heard about it.
5. Macbeth - The 1984 Bela Tarr version. Considering I'm making a thread about his movies I should probably see this. What cineaste doesn't get hard at the idea of an hour-long tracking shot? Other than the female ones I guess.
6. Akira - My animé exposure is limited to Ghibli and Ghost in the Shell. I'm not terribly interested in the genre for the most part, but this does look pretty interesting and it's enough of a touchstone to grab my attention.
7. Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy - I totally bought the blu-ray box set of this during the last Criterion sale and totally have not even opened it. What is wrong with me? If you pick this I'll be watching them all in order if you wanna give me a triple dose.
8. Night Moves - I actually started this a couple months ago and in the middle the power went out for like half an hour. I'm kind of an anal-retentive Nazi about watching movies start-to-finish so that killed it for me at the time but I'm ready to start again.
9. Nosferatu the Vampyre - The only feature in that Anchor Bay Herzog/Kinski set I haven't watched yet. I was waiting to see the original first but I did that like two years ago so yeah uh. Better late than never.

NEW!
10. Underground - Time of the Gypsies was really good, so I followed up by never seeing anything else by Emir Kustirica. Man I'm lazy.

Watched: Get Carter 7.5/10

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ok, so this may be cheating, but I recently saw the Fincher version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed it for the most part, although it really could have done without the last half hour. An exciting mystery, but somewhat disjointed. This thread has really helped me dig deep into film, and I'd like to come back, but I have absolutely no interest in going to watch the Swedish version. It's been awhile, so I think I'll just form a new list.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - Got this as a blind buy, mostly because The RZA praised it. It's been sitting around for a few months now.

Clash of the Titans - The original 1981 film. Another one that I dug out of the bargain bin and have left sitting around.

The Cow - Watched a Dariush Mehrjui film in my Film & Gender class last semester and have been wanting to check out some of his other stuff. This seems interesting.

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

Harold and Maude - As a fan of cult films I should really see this.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Really, I only want to watch this because I heard Frank Zappa's on the soundtrack. And road trip movies tend to be up my alley anyway.

Inland Empire - My friend bought this, watched it, hated it, knew I liked Lynch and gave it to me. But three hours?

Gojira - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yinf-E3t2yA

Marathon Man - This is the heart-warming tale of a man who overcomes his disabilities to win the Boston marathon...right? RIGHT?

Big Trouble In Little China - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell are one of my favorite Director/Actor combos. I should probably see this.

Finally, Criminal Minded, go watch La Jetee. You won't regret it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
It was a toss up between Hard Day's Night, Harold and Maude, and Big Trouble...

Gotta go with Harold and Maude though. It's so very good. Go watch it. Also, if you haven't seen HELP! I'd consider watching it as well, I think it's the better Beatles movie, far and away.

As for me, let's talk about Bicycle Thief

What a loving bummer. Apart from the fact the movie is really old and did a lot with what appears to be a little, it's hard for me to identify what makes it so special. Yeah, it's tough times and the dude needs his bike back, and through several VERY random encounters he happens to get some leads... and then he doesn't get his bike back and the kid is crying cause his father has basically became what hosed them over in the first place.

I guess I just wasn't prepared for the film to take that sorta of turn. I won't fault it for that, I just couldn't really grasp onto anything in the plot.

The acting was good, the presentation was really great and I'm sure for the time it was leaps and bounds ahead of everything, but ultimately it feels like a movie that needs to be explained to me, kinda like Bladerunner was. Like I said when I reviewed Bladerunner, I do think that movies should stand alone in their manifestation when reviewed by an individual. I could very well watch the movie again some day and take away something entirely different than I did on this viewing, but for now it was just meh.

7/10

Having said all that, I'd love to hear from a person who really digs it.

My New List

2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

4. Raging Bull

5. Unforgiven

6. Roman Holiday

Loved what I saw of this. Hepburn is cute as hell and this really just seems like a barrel of fun.

7. Badlands

8. *NEW* Serpico *NEW*

Kind of lovely that I consider myself a Pacino man and I haven't seen this yet.

9. Manhattan

10. Ikiru

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Chili you get Deniro's greatest role, Raging Bull

The Phantom Carriage is an exceedingly good silent drama. I realized very quickly the movie would play out like A Christmas Carol, it's a very predictable story of redemption but that's not it's attraction. All of the actors brought the perfect level of melodrama to each scene, especially Victor Sjöström who despite his evil turns is extremely relatable. Every shot, though static, is well framed and filled with motion, the color tinting adding unexpected feeling. The film is broken up into 5 pieces about 20 minutes long, each ending punctuated with added suspense which keeps the plot moving at a quick pace. It does get a bit preachy at times, it's obviously a product of the prohibition era sentiments and is almost a propaganda film for the Salvation Army. The grandstanding did turn me off from the film, intoxication causing a normally benign David Holms to breathe disease on his children and axe down a door was a bit ridiculous. Even if I didn't agree with them, those sentiments added a unique 1920s flavor to the film. If you watch the Criterion bluray I highly recommend using KTL's experimental score, full of dissonant noises that added intense drama. The default audio track had really annoying screeching violins and was mostly terrible.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.Andrei Rublev: One of the last Tarkovsky's I haven't seen, the 3.5 hour running time always scared me.

3.*NEW*Three Colors: Blue: Loved Double Life of Veronique, no excuses here

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

6.I am Cuba: A soviet take on a much romanticized time in Cuba's history.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage

Desiato fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 4, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Desiato, watch I Am Cuba. One of the most amazingly shot films I've ever seen.

Harold and Maude was pretty good. I wasn't in love with it, but I can definitely see it as a movie I'll grow to love with repeated viewings (The Big Lebowski was the same way for me). I got the humor, but I might need to watch it with some friends to really feel the impact of the jokes, as nothing really struck me as all that hilarious. The direction and acting are both wonderful, but overall it was just good.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - Got this as a blind buy, mostly because The RZA praised it. It's been sitting around for a few months now.

Clash of the Titans - The original 1981 film. Another one that I dug out of the bargain bin and have left sitting around.

The Cow - Watched a Dariush Mehrjui film in my Film & Gender class last semester and have been wanting to check out some of his other stuff. This seems interesting.

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Really, I only want to watch this because I heard Frank Zappa's on the soundtrack. And road trip movies tend to be up my alley anyway.

Inland Empire - My friend bought this, watched it, hated it, knew I liked Lynch and gave it to me. But three hours?

Gojira - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yinf-E3t2yA

Marathon Man - This is the heart-warming tale of a man who overcomes his disabilities to win the Boston marathon...right? RIGHT?

Big Trouble In Little China - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell are one of my favorite Director/Actor combos. I should probably see this.

The Third Man - I know nothing about this one but I've heard nothing but good things. All I know is that it's a noir that Orson Welles is in, but didn't direct.

Watched: Harold and Maude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Desiato, watch I Am Cuba. One of the most amazingly shot films I've ever seen.

Harold and Maude was pretty good. I wasn't in love with it, but I can definitely see it as a movie I'll grow to love with repeated viewings (The Big Lebowski was the same way for me). I got the humor, but I might need to watch it with some friends to really feel the impact of the jokes, as nothing really struck me as all that hilarious. The direction and acting are both wonderful, but overall it was just good.

His death exploits were hilarious to me. Especially his mother's blase reaction to most of them and the specific one where he leaves the room while entertaining a woman and you can see him setting up another "death" in the backyard through the window. Also what he did to his car.