Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ball Stink posted:

I'm terrified that this game is getting boring for me. I wish there was more to do than grind out equip upgrades and min/max pvp that is really not that good to begin with. Demon's?

If you haven't played Demon's Souls, go play Demon's Souls. It's shorter and everything is slightly uglier (except for messages, ghosts, and bloodstains, which actually look way better), but it does a lot of things better and has a more cohesive storyline / awesome ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
I had THE BEST jolly co-op last night. :)

A couple guys helped me get from the staircase to the big castle in Anor Londo to the giant blacksmith. It seems as if they knew each other -- when we started, the first guy was motioning towards a summon glow. Each time I found a goodie, they cheered in unison. I love this community.

We tried Smough and Orenstein, but didn't quite get it after a few tries, so stopped for the night. Now I'm stuck in Painted World...

I was using a lightning spear +2 on the two... now that I think of it, bad idea? I have an uchi +10 and a Q's Furysword as well.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

In other news, I can't read.

I always wondered why the rings weren't locked on your fingers while summoned though, seems a little strange. More handicaps for the invaders!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BLOG KING posted:

I had THE BEST jolly co-op last night. :)

A couple guys helped me get from the staircase to the big castle in Anor Londo to the giant blacksmith. It seems as if they knew each other -- when we started, the first guy was motioning towards a summon glow. Each time I found a goodie, they cheered in unison. I love this community.

We tried Smough and Orenstein, but didn't quite get it after a few tries, so stopped for the night. Now I'm stuck in Painted World...

I was using a lightning spear +2 on the two... now that I think of it, bad idea? I have an uchi +10 and a Q's Furysword as well.

The way Ornstein crackles with holy lightning at all times is a pretty good sign that electricity doesn't faze him much, yeah. Either way, now you're trapped in the Painted World, so that's a whole other challenge at your current level.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Isn't Smough like still weak to lightning or something weird?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

zachol posted:

Isn't Smough like still weak to lightning or something weird?

Smough is weak to lightning and resistant to fire. Ornstein is the opposite.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

WalletBeef posted:

I'm confused, I thought that's exactly what I posted. Maybe it was the "limited" comment which was confusing. In my situation, I rely on switching the ring when the "you are being summoned" message appears so that I can equip a havels ring. I run a 2H zwei hander build (grass crest on back), with the black iron set, my end is only 30, so switching to havels is necessary.

Edit: ^^^^^^ gently caress

What's your burden like with that set up? Are you also using ring of favorite in the other hand?

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004

Umberger posted:

Smough is weak to lightning and resistant to fire. Ornstein is the opposite.

Ahh no wonder.

Thanks!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I finally started playing this torture device again and seem to have made some decent progress. I joined the Cat's Covenant last night but I read that the Ring Of Fog is pussified now.

Is there ANY other benefit to being in this covenant? Or should I just join another?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I finally started playing this torture device again and seem to have made some decent progress. I joined the Cat's Covenant last night but I read that the Ring Of Fog is pussified now.

Is there ANY other benefit to being in this covenant? Or should I just join another?

People in PVP can lock on to you with the Ring of Fog now. If you don't plan on doing PVP I think it's still basically the same.

The only other benefit is access to Shiva of the East. I think you have to join to get his bodyguard with the Dark Wood Grain Ring to spawn.

Otherwise, no there is no reason to stay there. I was in it and then one of the friendly NPCs in the forest ran off a cliff which counted as a betrayal. This is a thing that can happen.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Shiva of the east also teaches you one of the coolest taunts in the game.

Also the fog ring is really affective in PvP, if you're the host and not using something that gives you an aura. It's garbage for phantoms unfortunately.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Funkysauce posted:

Well you can kill Shiva's bodyguard for that awesome ring of his...

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Brace posted:

What's your burden like with that set up? Are you also using ring of favorite in the other hand?

Yes, one ring slot is RoFaP, I switch the other ring to Havels, here is the character build that its from. This is something I just kinda evolved over time. It's a low level build.

Final Gear :
=======
Weapon : +5 Lightening zwei : 10 weight
Armor : +5 Entire Black Iron set : 40 weight
Grass Crest (on back) : 3 weight
Total weight : 53

Notes :
=======
With Havels (+50% max equip load) and RoFaP (+20% max equip load) (1.5 * 1.2) = 1.8 multiplier for equip burden. To be under 50% equip load (for better rolling), my max equip load would be 53*2 (106), but lets say 107. 107/1.8 = 59.4. This amount of equip load is available at endurance lvl 19, which is 5 more than the starting value for a Bandit.

Starting Class : Bandit (Slvl 4, Vit:12, End: 14, Str 14, Dex 9)
Points to equip zwei (2h) and equip armor: 8 (+2 str, + 1 dex, +5 end)
Soul level after point investments : 4+8=12
Rings : RoFaP + Havels
A vitality of 12 and a RoFaP results in 739 hp.
Enough endurance for 2 swings of the zwei while its 2handed, fatal for low level players.

Its just a fun build to screw around with (either be a jerk or help out lowbies in the Burg). With Mask of the mother substituted for the helm, you get a further 15% hp boost to 850, but your defense drops a bit, which might not be preferable. I mostly sunbro with this build, I don't know why, but I love killing griefer invaders and helping lowbies. Praise the sun.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Iron golem literally just slipped and fell off the bridge. Easiest boss in the game
Also the heavy knight at the top of sens fortress has an insane drop rate for titanite shards

Brace fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 3, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Brace posted:

Iron golem literally just slipped and fell off the bridge. Easiest boss in the game
Also the heavy knight at the top of sens fortress has an insane drop rate for titanite shards

I beat Iron golem last night, he just wouldn't fall. However there was an even easier boss that has a fall weakness.

Hint, his name is an STD symptom. If you really want to know, it'sCeaseless Discharge.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Brace posted:

As a heads-up, the main blacksmith sells these for only like 400 souls, which is nothing at all by mid-lategame.

Humpert
Jan 12, 2007
Don't fear me, I'm just like you. But giant!

Polo-Rican posted:

As a heads-up, the main blacksmith sells these for only like 400 souls, which is nothing at all by mid-lategame.

He drops the large titanite shards that you can buy for 4000 (At least on my unpatched game) from the merchant in Sen's fortress. I think I'm finally ready to start learning the last boss now that I've tied up most of the loose ends in my first playtrough. Would you guys reccomend going for NG+ or just starting a new character for my second time around?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Went into the painted world on a whim and my lightning spear broke, now I'm down to a Drake Sword and I have no humanity to kindle the bonfire. I'm so screwed :(

Scratch that, I seem to have somehow picked up 7 Humanity in my inventory :stare:

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2012

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Polo-Rican posted:

My bad, meant to say Large shards* I have like 70 regular titanite shards, but I have no chunks.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Category Fun! posted:

Went into the painted world on a whim and my lightning spear broke, now I'm down to a Drake Sword and I have no humanity to kindle the bonfire. I'm so screwed :(

Scratch that, I seem to have somehow picked up 7 Humanity in my inventory :stare:
Didn't you buy the repair box from the smith? That's kind of important.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Funkysauce posted:

I beat Iron golem last night, he just wouldn't fall. However there was an even easier boss that has a fall weakness.

Hint, his name is an STD symptom. If you really want to know, it'sCeaseless Discharge.

The hydra in Ash Lake can be beaten by letting him chase you to the Stone Dragon. He'll walk back to his starting area, clip through the world on the way and die.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Lork posted:

Didn't you buy the repair box from the smith? That's kind of important.

In hindsight, that is very important! I didn't have enough souls at the time and I forgot to go back though, so I'll have to make do.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Category Fun! posted:

In hindsight, that is very important! I didn't have enough souls at the time and I forgot to go back though, so I'll have to make do.

The only good news for you is that the Painted World boss is entirely optional. If you can make it through the main level, you can get back out (remember, you'll be back in the room with all the Guardians, so don't die on your way through Anor Londo!)

PW is also my absolute favorite place to assist. It is never not packed with people; I think the longest I had to wait for a summon last time was about 5 minutes, but usually it was a matter of seconds. Plus, there's an NPC Red Phantom that drops 2x the souls that the area boss does! It's also varied enough to be interesting, and you can bait Red/Blue Phantoms pretty easily if you want. It's basically perfect for farming.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's this Painted World business? Do you get kicked there if you die in Anor Londo?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Thanks, that helps. It seems to be random where they pop up. I was in catacombs for the first time, someone spawned out of the ground right as I engaged some skeletons but waited until I was done with them to kill me...

Another time I summoned someone at Sif's fog gate but they must have been AFK because they didn't move for a while. While I was waiting, someone else invaded, but I ran into the fog gate as they were running towards me which sent them back.

The couple times I tried to kill invaders, I got whooped so I just run away or let them kill me now. I wouldn't mind as much but the importance and rarity of humanity/being human in this game makes it irritating to have it taken away so easily.

Given the difficulty of the game and the fact that you need to become human to kindle/summon help for bosses, I think invasions are possibly the dumbest feature. But in my limited experience with them I think your best shot is to assume that you'll lose in a direct fight, so instead just go to a cliff or something and try to douche the other guy into falling off. Anywhere else is just telestab hell.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is the Golem Set any good? It looks really loving cool but it's pretty heavy and I'm not sure which of the 50 heavy sets is actually good or just terrible.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What's this Painted World business? Do you get kicked there if you die in Anor Londo?

It's an entirely optional area in Anor Londo, underneath the rafters you cross. You will need a special item to get in the Doll from the Undead Asylum, it's in the cell where you start the game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Painted World is a small area that you can reach from Anor Londo in the bottom of the large area where you had to fight a bunch of dudes in the rafters. Theres a painting there that you can interact with if you have the doll item(i forget the name but it frequently appears during loading screens) that you get from where you start in the undead asylum the first time during your second visit.

Also, at least this game doesn't actively punish you for not being human like Demon Souls.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 4, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brace posted:

Is the Golem Set any good? It looks really loving cool but it's pretty heavy and I'm not sure which of the 50 heavy sets is actually good or just terrible.

It's pretty good if you're a walking-tank build and don't mind wearing the Ring of Favor and Protection and Havel's Ring at all times. It's eventually outstripped in nearly every category, including weight, by the Paladin Set, though.

e: though like the Iron Golem it has horrible lightning resistance, meaning that Ornstein will light you up like a Christmas tree if you wear it in his boss fight.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 4, 2012

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Given the difficulty of the game and the fact that you need to become human to kindle/summon help for bosses, I think invasions are possibly the dumbest feature. But in my limited experience with them I think your best shot is to assume that you'll lose in a direct fight, so instead just go to a cliff or something and try to douche the other guy into falling off. Anywhere else is just telestab hell.

Don't listen to this dude. Automatically assuming you're going to lose in an invasion is just stupid. Yes, there's a lot of guys out there who do almost nothing but PvP and are geared towards it, but there's also a bunch of losers who 'want' to be big badasses, but who get their asses handed to them when they meet another player. That player could be you.

Remember all those cheap ways the game uses to kill you? Use them against your invader. Run to an isolated spot that gives you a tactical advantage. Run up a buttress in Anor Lando and hold the line with arrow. Cast chameleon (just an AWESOME spell for counter-griefing) and bide your time for the right moment. Summon other phantoms to help you along, nothing is as funny as seeing an invader sprint head-long into a group of dudes waiting to trounce him.
If you run around unhollowed, you run the risk of invasion. That's part of the fun. Assuming the other guy is going to win before you even start just sets you up for disaster. At worst, you die, which this game should have taught you how to accept by now. At best you teach some punk a lesson and steal his souls and humanity.

I think that's a pretty fair risk to take.

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011

Brace posted:

There's actually not that many 'heavy' sets, I thought the same thing till I checked the wiki. also no, Golem isn't that great, inferior to smough and havels, and you get black iron, smough and havels in the next short area.

I still wore it as indeed, it does look pretty loving cool.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, but there's times when your just waiting for your friends at a boss, and then you get invaded by a dude who three shots you with combustion and doesn't take any damage from repeated lightning spear hits :smith:

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Brace posted:

Stats wise? It's a slightly lighter, slightly weaker Havel's set with a lot less poise. Wear it for fun if you want - you can really get away with wearing any sort of armor you want in PvE, and probably some PvP if you're clever. Other than that, there's better armors out there to wear both as a set and to pick-and-choose from.

To keep it simple: If you like it a lot, wear it. It's not bad. If you're more concerned about maxing out defense, go with something else.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Brace posted:

Yeah, but there's times when your just waiting for your friends at a boss, and then you get invaded by a dude who three shots you with combustion and doesn't take any damage from repeated lightning spear hits :smith:

What a lot of people need to understand is that this is just another part of the Dark Souls game design. The game is basically saying, yes, you open yourself to phantoms coming into your world and helping you, but by the same token, ANYONE can just stroll in and mess you up.
You can play this entire game solo, always staying hollow and being "safe". But if you want the potential reward of multiplayer, you accept the associated risks.
It's one of the design philosophies I just love about it's multiplayer.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

What a lot of people need to understand is that this is just another part of the Dark Souls game design. The game is basically saying, yes, you open yourself to phantoms coming into your world and helping you, but by the same token, ANYONE can just stroll in and mess you up.
You can play this entire game solo, always staying hollow and being "safe". But if you want the potential reward of multiplayer, you accept the associated risks.
It's one of the design philosophies I just love about it's multiplayer.

Yeah, I wasn't even mad about it, just kind of like drat that was bad.

Also, on armor, Paladin Armor seems pretty drat good, but it's pretty late in the game as well? Are there any sets similar to it in Anor/Sen's area?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Killed the Heavy Knight in painted world so I lay back and kept walking forward without looking at the TV.

Walked right off the gap in the bridge :shepicide:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brace posted:

Also, on armor, Paladin Armor seems pretty drat good, but it's pretty late in the game as well? Are there any sets similar to it in Anor/Sen's area?

You can get a Silver Knight Shield, which is among the game's best medium shields, but aside from that, not really. Unless you want Havel's Set, which is the heaviest armor in the game. The Silver Knight Set is also available, but it's so-so and requires Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, and that stuff is costly enough so that you'll only want to spend it on what will last you a long time.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think I ultimately prefer Dark's version of life/death, but there was something appealing about Demon's version as well. The idea that Humanity (or bodyform or whatever) was really incredibly rare, to the point that one of the only ways to get it (short of killing a boss) was to invade another player and TAKE it, was pretty cool. Beats killing rats for half an hour, anyway, although a lot harder.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Don't listen to this dude. Automatically assuming you're going to lose in an invasion is just stupid. Yes, there's a lot of guys out there who do almost nothing but PvP and are geared towards it, but there's also a bunch of losers who 'want' to be big badasses, but who get their asses handed to them when they meet another player. That player could be you.

Remember all those cheap ways the game uses to kill you? Use them against your invader. Run to an isolated spot that gives you a tactical advantage. Run up a buttress in Anor Lando and hold the line with arrow. Cast chameleon (just an AWESOME spell for counter-griefing) and bide your time for the right moment. Summon other phantoms to help you along, nothing is as funny as seeing an invader sprint head-long into a group of dudes waiting to trounce him.
If you run around unhollowed, you run the risk of invasion. That's part of the fun. Assuming the other guy is going to win before you even start just sets you up for disaster. At worst, you die, which this game should have taught you how to accept by now. At best you teach some punk a lesson and steal his souls and humanity.

I think that's a pretty fair risk to take.

I agree. Half the time I get invaded I one/two-shot the guy because he is stupid and thinks running up to a guy with a giant axe is a smart idea. Or you'll run into the pyromancer who uses firestorm. Dodge back, charge up and kill them. Boom.

However, if the other person wrecks your world (this will happen from time to time) no worries, you can get your stuff back! Unless you die on your way back to it.

Dark Souls.

Category Fun! posted:

Killed the Heavy Knight in painted world so I lay back and kept walking forward without looking at the TV.

Walked right off the gap in the bridge :shepicide:

This is how I discovered one of the dropoff spots in the catacombs my first time through :v:

Brace posted:

You can find Havel's set in Anor Londo. I prefer mixing it with other sets, but either way it's super good if you want to wear heavy armor.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

I feel like I need to make a PSA regarding combustion at this point: if you don't want to get wasted by it, don't block it. I'd originally been saving combustion casts to free aim at people trying to stab me, but lately I've been burning down people who like to chill out with their shield up. It almost always leads to me either killing the person outright, or breaking their guard with the massive stamina damage and finishing them off with my weapon.

If someone busts out their pyro flame, stay far enough away that you can use roll invincibility to avoid the damage, and don't let them catch you with it while you're recovering from a roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
The reason I'm actually caring about what armor I'm wearing is I have an absolute poo poo ton of regular titanite shards that I could dump into upgrading it.

• Locked thread