Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm enjoying this. It's flaws are minor enough to brush past. A decent Syfy mini series isn't unheard of. I liked The Lost Room, that was recent right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm enjoying this. It's flaws are minor enough to brush past. A decent Syfy mini series isn't unheard of. I liked The Lost Room, that was recent right?

A few years old. I got that one on DVD. So good. Just wish they'd continued the story after the way they left it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

The Lost Room was great, and I also liked Dune/Children of Dune and Taken (even if the last few episodes kind of went off the track).

And of course let's not forget that BSG began as a Sci-Fi Miniseries Event.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So a new SyFy show "Three Inches" starts on Thursday, which doesn't bode well for it's prospects.

quote:

This show follows a nobody who gains the ability to move any object with his mind but only for 3 inches at a time. He decides to bring together a group of heroes with abilities similar to his.

Starring James Marsters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here is also something awesome:

Tracey Gold to Star in Syfy Movie 'Arachnoquake', which also stars Edward Furlong, Ethan Phillips and Bug Hall. The story of a massive earthquake that unleashes giant albino spiders.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

GreenNight posted:

So a new SyFy show "Three Inches" starts on Thursday, which doesn't bode well for it's prospects.

Starring James Marsters.

That must be DOA, I haven't seen anything on that starting.

http://www.syfy.com/schedule/?date=2011-12-29

Unless it's some stealth premiere of the pilot, I have no idea why they would start that without any publicity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Teek posted:

Unless it's some stealth premiere of the pilot, I have no idea why they would start that without any publicity.

Yeah there is really nothing on the SyFy site for it at all. They've been showing the gently caress out of previews for Lost Girl and nothing about this. It's too bad, I was definitely curious.

Ferret Faucet
Feb 18, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

GreenNight posted:

Here is also something awesome:

Tracey Gold to Star in Syfy Movie 'Arachnoquake', which also stars Edward Furlong, Ethan Phillips and Bug Hall. The story of a massive earthquake that unleashes giant albino spiders.

This is the worst thing I will ever watch from start to finish.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

...mere words cannot contain the erection I have right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teek posted:

When it was being casted it was getting some major hype but I had no idea it had even started filming, let alone had a finished pilot in the can.

Ferret Faucet
Feb 18, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

WickedIcon posted:

...mere words cannot contain the erection I have right now.

You're aware that this is going to be terrible and impossible to adapt, right?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I suspect Booster Gold is going to be just like Flash Gordon, including its terribleness.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Semi-spoilery review of the first two episodes of the new season of Being Human:

http://io9.com/5871457/how-does-the-second-season-of-syfys-being-human-stack-up-to-the-first-read-our-review

Short of it: Improved some of the bad bits and is still generally firing on all cylinders. It may have some minor issues with some of the new stuff.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 28, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just watched the Three Inches pilot. I can see why Syfy wasn't that big on it. It wasn't bad really, it just didn't have any wow factor to it. The acting, directing and plot were all very average.

wildkatt
Dec 30, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Did the guy who won "Who wants to be a Superhero" ever get his SyFy movie role?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The first guy did, he was in some monster movie in a cameo. His part really had nothing to do with the plot, it seemed more like a "Holy poo poo, we did promise this guy a movie, here, quick, be in this monster movie for four minutes as your character at a carnival or something."

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I remember Mega Snake getting (falsely) hyped as the movie starring the first WWTBAS? winner, Feedback. Wikipedia says The Defuser, season 2's winner, was in the movie Lightning Strikes.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Face Off season 2 premieres on Wednesday, Jan. 11.

Right now is the annual Twilight Zone marathon. Thread here.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Forgot to ask, did anyone catch the Sanctuary finale last Friday? It was the "season" finale, but Syfy hasn't said anything yet about it being renewed. It's done low average ratings, but it's been stable with a core audience who always seems to tune in.

If that served as the series finale, was anyone happy with it? I thought it worked as a series finale, but it would be interesting to see where they go now with the new location. Overall though I wasn't a big fan of the season arc, as governmental politics and rebel terrorists is played out sci-fi genre.

I'm just a bit disappointed that the twist wasn't that Helen managed to secretly save Ashley, after having been transported to the past. It seemed like a prime opportunity to bring her back, after Kate was bumped back to a guest star now.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

Forgot to ask, did anyone catch the Sanctuary finale last Friday?...

I'm just a bit disappointed that the twist wasn't that Helen managed to secretly save Ashley, after having been transported to the past. It seemed like a prime opportunity to bring her back, after Kate was bumped back to a guest star now.

I recently started watching this show, and I've made it a few episodes into Season Two. I don't think I've ever been as irritated by a cast change as I am with Ash/Kate. Why? Because Ashley was already a mediocre actress. Replacing her isn't the problem. The problem is that Kate Freeloader is an even worse actress and she pulls the show down with her. Sanctuary is already skirting the line with their low budget blue screens - it isn't a strong enough show to help cover up such a glaringly bad addition to the cast.

That said, I enjoy the Ripper and that actor is rad no matter where I see him (Alistair, The Swede.) Tesla is pretty rad, and Magnus' accent actually doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, it made it easier to think of Amanda Tapping as not being Sam Carter.

Also, I am pretty sure The Sanctuary is located on the same exact patch of Earth Planet Express is built on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

She gets better when she chills on being "sassy".

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Oh, I forgot to mention that the guy who plays Henry is awesome, as well. I've seen him show up many places, but he'll always be Sands from Blade: the Series in my mind.

And in the episode I'm watching currently, I'm pretty sure Amy Vandenberg just became somebody's snack.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Season premiere of Merlin was on tonight, was suitably creepy. The preview for the season also seems like it will be resolving some of the show's issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 2 thread for Being Human, also season 1 is finally up on Netflix Instant.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

iastudent posted:

Face Off season 2 premieres on Wednesday, Jan. 11.

I am excited. Apparently one of the competitors is a good friend with my boss, so I have someone to root for before the shoe even starts. I hope he doesn't suck.

Also: last season must have done really well, because they are already casting season three, and it will film...soonish, I think.

I can't wait for the bullshit manufactured drama to unfold and to watch Glen be a total dick to pretty much everyone.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I was bored so here's a Face Off thread.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Added the new threads to the OP.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I'm still making way through Sanctuary, but I have to admit that I kind of like it now. Sure, the blue-screening is awful and I'm convinced they film more shots against it than do on actual location, and what few location shots they do use I recognize from all of the other Canadian productions, but the show has definitely grown on me.

Kate Freeloader has been AWOL for half-a-season, hooray! Amanda Tapping has managed to shed her whole Sam Carter image. Tesla is the bomb-diggity... and then there's Christopher Heyerdahl.

I think Heyerdahl is perhaps SyFy channel's biggest asset. That guy impresses me in everything, and when I was lamenting the lack of his character John "Jack the Ripper" Druitt to my roommate, she pointed out that he's still in every episode - as the loving sasquatch! I had no idea. That guy rocks.

Also, he was my favorite Alistair on Supernatural. "There's something in my throat. I think it's my throat."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lost Girl looks really, really bad. There's something about the lead actress that makes her look very unattractive to me and that's not helping.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I have to give credit to Syfy for airing Lost Girl unedited apparently, I think that's the first time I've heard various uses of "poo poo" on the channel.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
Am I the only one that cares at all about Eureka? Yeah, it's super cheesy, but I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about it.

Guess it's kind of late though, considering it's been cancelled.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

I have to give credit to Syfy for airing Lost Girl unedited apparently, I think that's the first time I've heard various uses of "poo poo" on the channel.

They do put some pretty heavy disclaimers in front of it. Also it seems like basic cable channels have decided to test the water a little on swearing since USA also aired a show last summer (Suits) where they also were allowed to say "poo poo."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

quote:

Am I the only one that cares at all about Eureka? Yeah, it's super cheesy, but I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about it.

Guess it's kind of late though, considering it's been cancelled.
I kind of lost interest when the show "rebooted", and I imagine it was the same with a lot of people.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I kind of lost interest when the show "rebooted", and I imagine it was the same with a lot of people.

Yeah, I know. I am just one of those people that will stick with something, even if it gets bad, if I've put time into it.

It was weird how they'd do episodes that actually developed the plot line, then like 5 episodes where it was an inclusive episode that was just about some object going haywire. After they rebooted there seemed to be a lot more of the latter.

I really liked the christmas episode though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out that crappy horror movie from a couple of years ago, Legion, is getting a Syfy series. Which kind of makes sense as the movie itself felt more like the pilot for a crappy TV series anyway what with a completely open ending that didn't really resolve anything.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Last Ghost Hunters tonight, they still appear to be filming the series, even though Syfy/Universal are losing the ongoing court case:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/07/idUS397896749320111107

You hear about show pitches being stolen a lot, apparently this one has been a big deal in Hollywood.

Edit: Also Grant is leaving the show, still unclear why, possibly health or family related:

http://news.yahoo.com/grant-wilson-exiting-ghost-hunters-160801402.html

He's a big part of the show, a shame to see him go.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 16, 2012

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/07/idUS397896749320111107

You hear about show pitches being stolen a lot, apparently this one has been a big deal in Hollywood.

Edit: Also Grant is leaving the show...

Is he Mario or Luigi?

Also, the idea of "a film crew follows around paranormal "scientists" who use electronics doodads and e-meters to look for spooks" has to have been pitched multiple times over the decades. I swear I used to see shows about that sort of thing in the early eighties, only it was presented more like a documentary than a reality show.

Hell, wasn't half of Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... that exact thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Manos del Sino posted:

Is he Mario or Luigi?

Also, the idea of "a film crew follows around paranormal "scientists" who use electronics doodads and e-meters to look for spooks" has to have been pitched multiple times over the decades. I swear I used to see shows about that sort of thing in the early eighties, only it was presented more like a documentary than a reality show.

Hell, wasn't half of Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... that exact thing?

A crew of guys using doodads to find ghosts. Hmmmm, where have I heard that before...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Casting news for Primeval: New World:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sara-canning-stars-canadian-primeval-297401

Still unclear if it will go to Syfy, but it seems like it probably would with the production companies and directors involved. Niall Matter from Eureka will be one of the stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Teek posted:

Tesla is definitely one of the high points of Sanctuary.

You know, with Helen travelling back in time, I'd almost wish there would have been more talk of her finding some way to save Ashley this time around in secret.

Maybe that will be the big reveal for season 5, since she apparently committed some fuckery during her "seclusion".