Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ddraig posted:

Siding with Joshua seemed like the logical conclusion to the story and by far the most satisfying, even if it was a bitter victory.

A lot of people rip on Honest Hearts but I think the rather tragic story is very well done.

Yeah, Honest Hearts is easily my favorite of the DLC stories because Joshua and Daniel and the Survivalist are such well-drawn characters and their stories are legitimately compelling.

Plus it gives me one of my favorite video game weapons ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dush posted:

Vault 21 stuff

Another cool tidbit of this that only gets mentioned briefly is that House didn't just brute force it like he did with recruiting the tribals/etc. He used the vault's own rules, all conflicts resolved through gambling, and won the vault in a card game. And you just know he rigged the gently caress out of that card game.

House supremacy :hellyeah:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Caufman posted:

I'm open to examining the problems of the NCR, but I don't see how you can solve them with fascism. When you next reply to my post, please try to answer this point.
I love any sort of analysis of the factions in New Vegas, but I've been kind of skimming this debate as it feels like there's a lot of hostility, but even so I'd like to try and address this. Sorry if I mention stuff you've talked about already.

The fear is that the plutocratic/democratic government of the NCR is too interested in short term gains, and will jump on any and every opportunity to expand, as politicians can win campaigns by talking up NCR's glory, and merchant interests can buy senators to support a war that would expand their interests... but in both cases the expansion would hurt the NCR, because it's not controlled or directed. Campaigns would be under funded and over extended, as the people resist paying for the wars, even the ones that they voted for. This pattern, it's feared, will lead to the total collapse of the NCR.

This isn't exactly stated in the game, but it's what I figured was meant by,"directionless and over extended," and you see evidence of all this kind of stuff going on in the NCR.

The imagined solution to this is to make sure that there's a sense of responsibility and duty, and that there are leaders whose vision would be respected.

For the record, I'm a huge supporter of the NCR. It's obviously the best option available in the world of New Vegas. I can still see where Caesar is coming from.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Eiba posted:

This isn't exactly stated in the game, but it's what I figured was meant by,"directionless and over extended," and you see evidence of all this kind of stuff going on in the NCR.

The imagined solution to this is to make sure that there's a sense of responsibility and duty, and that there are leaders whose vision would be respected.

For the record, I'm a huge supporter of the NCR. It's obviously the best option available in the world of New Vegas. I can still see where Caesar is coming from.

It is true that the NCR is directionless and over extended, but I have doubts whether it would be an improvement to be directed and over extended plus bonus slavery and rape.

When you speak to Caesar, he tells you that the best leader the NCR ever had was President Tandi, and I agree. What the NCR needs is another leader like Tandi, who motivated her people and built a republic more just and vibrant than any other society you meet in the Wasteland. However, Sallow is nothing like Tandi. Tandi ruled effectively with progressive values and the explicit and voluntary consent of the people. Caesar rules through fear and oppression, the bald head of a slave army. The problems of the NCR are real and significant, but I can't accept the Legion for two reasons: 1) The cost of a Legion victory, its brutality and cultural genocide, is simply too much. 2) The better solution is for the Republic to move away from hawkish imperialism and closer to the principles Tandi established.

Caesar is the most expansionary and hawkish person you'll meet in F:NV. He started his Legion by introducing total war to tribes who had previously only known limited scale conflict. I don't think this is the kind of motivation that NCR needs more of in order to improve the lives of wastelanders. The best solution for long term growth is diplomacy and trade. The worst solution is full-scale warfare and a foreign policy which rejects coexistence with other nations. This is why I can't support Caesar's vision. Aside from the nastiness of rape and slavery, the NCR needs to learn to accept a heterogeneous wasteland with different ideologies for lasting peace. Introducing Legion values in a Hegelian synthesis is only going to make the Republic and the wasteland in general less capable of peaceful development .

Basically, if you want to stop the military industrial complex that the NCR is having, I think it will be made worse when that complex is nationalized and legitimized as is Caesar's policy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how the one unique animation you gave Joshua Graham was endlessly clearing and inspecting the barrels of his pile of guns. That was a very nice touch.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I like that, no matter what I told him to do, Joshua insisted on beating every last White-Leg tribal to death with the butt of his pistol. :stare:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Is there any easy way to check and see what's causing a lot of red exclamation points? I'm doing Lonely Hearts right now and all the Sorrows and Dead Horse tribals (Except follows chalk, inexplicably) have giant red exclamation points.

I would assume their armor/weapons are missing hence the error but its really annoying. Don't know which one or if one of my mods is the cause. Anyway to check?

This is my mod order, maybe it'll help:

FalloutNV.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
TribalPack.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
NSkies URWLified.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
New Vegas Error Corrections BugFixes - DLC + GRA.esm
Lings.esm
NVCE Main.esm
NVR-Strip.esm
NSkies URWLifiedDM.esp
NSkies URWLifiedHH.esp
NSkies URWLifiedOWB.esp
NVCE DLC01.esp
NVCE DLC02.esp
NVCE DLC03.esp
NVCE DLC04.esp
XP_Slower_50.esp
PipBoyLightx2.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
LingsPrettyThings.esp
noautoaim.esp
More Realistic Aiming.esp
LFox Bottle That Water.esp
Pop and Beer do not Dehydrate.esp
UniversalPerkRequirements.esp
NVR-NPCs.esp
NVR-Version_10.esp
NoMoreMIckRalphCrier.esp
FactionIDCards.esp
FO3WeaponsRestoration.esp
old vaquero includes that gun.esp
that gun holdout.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
NVEC Performance Of The Gods - DLC.esp
New Vegas Error Corrections - DLC + GRA.esp
NVEC The New Bison Steve Hotel PATCH - DLC.esp

Total active plugins: 49
Total plugins: 50

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
For the first time in a video game in a long time I am presented with a difficult choice to make not regarding leveling up or something. Thanks, New Vegas.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Infanticide posted:

I like that, no matter what I told him to do, Joshua insisted on beating every last White-Leg tribal to death with the butt of his pistol. :stare:

"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other." - Joshua Graham 2281 *proceeds to kill entire tribe of people the difficult way because he can*

Anyway Lonesome Road totally owned and Courier's Mile was completely ridiculous on Very Hard. Which of the two places that you can go to after all is said and done the easiest? I'd like to leave the harder one for last.

Also I'm seriously considering doing an explosive/gun or explosive only run just because of Red Glare :getin:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is there any easy way to check and see what's causing a lot of red exclamation points? I'm doing Lonely Hearts right now and all the Sorrows and Dead Horse tribals (Except follows chalk, inexplicably) have giant red exclamation points.

Did you do the "Verify integrity of game cache" thing in Steam? I had this happen when I installed Dead Money and that fixed it.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Did you do the "Verify integrity of game cache" thing in Steam? I had this happen when I installed Dead Money and that fixed it.

I had to do this with all 4 DLCs. Hell, you pretty much have to do this with all new releases on Steam!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Not really big on taking screenshots for the most part, but after modding up New Vegas I couldn't help it.

A year and a bit later, I still think that REPCONN robot is high as hell.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 6, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Yeah just tried this, 2 files didnt verify but they were small. I even disabled all my mods except for the dlc, courier's stash and gun runner's arsenal and it still happens. It's just weird nothing is MISSING from them based on me looking at screenshots online. I mean Im sure something is since I wouldn't get an error otherwise but if I could just make it some unnoticeable item it'd work out.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 6, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ugh ok so sorry for the double post but I'm hoping someone can tell me a solution because this is a bit of a bigger issue. I got to the end of Honest Hearts but after the ending slideshow I am looking at a cave and can't move at all. I can't look around, draw a weapon or even open my pip boy. I can hit esc but can't save.

I reloaded a save to try both endings, see if that would help, the problem is the same.

Edit: Fixed it. THAT seemed to be the fault of a mod I was using.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 6, 2012

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Okay guys, I went to Vault 3 and had to go back because I couldn't pass the speech check (low charisma character), and then went back with Great Khan clothing, thinking that I could get into the Vault that way (since that's how I have gotten into the vault in previous games). However, the Fiends there are still hostile to me and I can't engage in dialogue anymore. Is there anything I can do to keep the fiends friendly with me, or am I forced to kill them all?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah just tried this, 2 files didnt verify but they were small. I even disabled all my mods except for the dlc, courier's stash and gun runner's arsenal and it still happens. It's just weird nothing is MISSING from them based on me looking at screenshots online. I mean Im sure something is since I wouldn't get an error otherwise but if I could just make it some unnoticeable item it'd work out.

Honestly, your best bet is disabling half of your mods and loading a save where there are missing meshes. If they're still missing, re-enable those disabled mods and disable the other half. Then, keep disabling / enabling half of that half until you narrow down which mod(s) is causing the problem.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Anyone got a decent route/advice on how to get to the Abandoned BoS Bunker at level 4 without getting splattered?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Anyone got a decent route/advice on how to get to the Abandoned BoS Bunker at level 4 without getting splattered?

Cut across Yangtze Memorial > Sloan > Hidden Valley > Novac? You might have to run away from a couple giant radscorpions but there's really nothing between Goodsprings and the Abandoned Bunker (or areas south, if you stick to the roads and don't pick too many fights) that'd be too serious at that level. Bigger trick would be reaching there without levelling.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Cut across Yangtze Memorial > Sloan > Hidden Valley > Novac? You might have to run away from a couple giant radscorpions but there's really nothing between Goodsprings and the Abandoned Bunker (or areas south, if you stick to the roads and don't pick too many fights) that'd be too serious at that level. Bigger trick would be reaching there without levelling.

Thanks for the heads up. This is what I am currently doing, your route that is, except I have been venturing in to the wilderness trying to shorten the trip. It hurts a lot. :P I was able to do the Medical Clinic run at level 1, barely got it with room for only 20 more XP, but sure I could have done it better. Is the first DLC even doable at level 4?

edit: Made it. This is creepy as hell.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 7, 2012

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Democrazy posted:

Okay guys, I went to Vault 3 and had to go back because I couldn't pass the speech check (low charisma character), and then went back with Great Khan clothing, thinking that I could get into the Vault that way (since that's how I have gotten into the vault in previous games). However, the Fiends there are still hostile to me and I can't engage in dialogue anymore. Is there anything I can do to keep the fiends friendly with me, or am I forced to kill them all?

You can still talk to Motor-Runner while all the fiends and him are hostile, just use a stealth boy and just sneak up to him and hit talk as soon as you stand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In regards to Honest Hearts, I really liked that rather than the standard RPG choice of:

1. "No don't execute him in cold blood! Let him go free!"
2. "YESSS! KILL HIM AND ALL HIS FRIENDS AND BATHE IN THEIR BLOOD!"

there were other options, including my choice of,"Yes he deserves to die, but not like this. Put a gun in his hand and let him fight." I know it wasn't technically the "best" result for the ending slides, but I liked that my runthrough ended with Joshua still willing to fight but with his burning desire for death and destruction doused, only fighting when it was necessary and not for its own sake.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really wanted to explain to Daniel how giving the raiders what they want just teaches them that to keep demanding things. I was disappointed to see "let's just give them the land we've always lived on and assume they won't follow us" treated as something that an otherwise intelligent-seeming person would propose.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What, exactly, is the state of Europe, South America, Africa and Oceania? We know about North America and most of Asia is likely some sort of similar wasteland but what has been written about the rest of the world?

Pope Guilty posted:

I really wanted to explain to Daniel how giving the raiders what they want just teaches them that to keep demanding things. I was disappointed to see "let's just give them the land we've always lived on and assume they won't follow us" treated as something that an otherwise intelligent-seeming person would propose.

They had always been raiders and didn't know how to live off the land like the Dead Horses and the Sorrows do. Basically Daniel wanted to gently caress off and let the White Legs just starve.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

chelsea clinton posted:

What, exactly, is the state of Europe, South America, Africa and Oceania? We know about North America and most of Asia is likely some sort of similar wasteland but what has been written about the rest of the world?

Nothing, pretty much, although it's safe to assume that they're also in a similar condition to North America. The United States was one of the few good places to live on the Earth pre-Great War, as it still had access to a decent standard of living, whereas Europe/the Middle East/North Africa had all suffered from their various decaying civilizations even before the nukes were launched in earnest.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Pope Guilty posted:

Well they do blow up the exit behind them. Plus, not eliminating the Sorrows means that the White Legs failed, so the Legion tells them to gently caress off and they eventually fall apart.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

chelsea clinton posted:

Only a nebulous statement that some continents "sank under the boiling oceans" during the Great War.

You know, if the guys at Obsidian REALLY wanted to reboot, a game set in China or Europe would be a good way to do it...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chelsea clinton posted:

Based on what I've seen in the Fallout Bible, nothing really. I figure its probably intended that way because it keeps your perspective that of your PC's (S/he doesnt know about the outside world, and neither do you). But I kinda would like to see outside of the US in the Fallout world out of curiousity.

Course it also brings up the question why we dont have people flying or even taking a boat across the ocean semi-regularly by now. I mean it would be treacherous but if people did it in the 1500s they should have figured it out by now, and the enclave does have functioning flying vehicles.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Eiba posted:

For the record, I'm a huge supporter of the NCR. It's obviously the best option available in the world of New Vegas.

Please, siding with Vegas is way better than joining with the hypocrites and incompetent NCR. Raul and Ulysses agree with me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Raul's pretty chill and doesn't really care either way. I like him best as a follower because he's seen everything and nothing can phase him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also he's Danny Trejo.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I'm trying to do "I put a spell on you" and seem to have hit a giant roadblock.

Before i was able to talk to Boyd and get the control tower key, she got killed when a bunch of legion people showed up inside the terminal. The other guy i am supposed to talk to told me about seeing a light on in the tower at 1am. I hung out at the tower all night, but never saw the light go on, and if i did, i couldn't get in anyway since i don't have a key. The key is not in the inventory of Boyd's corpse.

Any suggestions on what I can do about it?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Alpine Mustache posted:

I'm trying to do "I put a spell on you" and seem to have hit a giant roadblock.

Before i was able to talk to Boyd and get the control tower key, she got killed when a bunch of legion people showed up inside the terminal. The other guy i am supposed to talk to told me about seeing a light on in the tower at 1am. I hung out at the tower all night, but never saw the light go on, and if i did, i couldn't get in anyway since i don't have a key. The key is not in the inventory of Boyd's corpse.

Any suggestions on what I can do about it?

The guy won't show up if you're actually in the tower, so there's your problem. If you hide outside, you'll see him walking to or away from the tower, I think you can talk to him and end up confronting him/find out what's going on that way. I'm pretty sure he also has something on him that you can pickpocket off him that'll help.

e: but don't tell him what you're doing when you talk to him

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 7, 2012

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

RagnarokAngel posted:

Course it also brings up the question why we dont have people flying or even taking a boat across the ocean semi-regularly by now. I mean it would be treacherous but if people did it in the 1500s they should have figured it out by now, and the enclave does have functioning flying vehicles.

This was brought up in one of the earlier threads. My favorite explanation for the lack of ocean travel was giant albino radsharks.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

eating only apples posted:

The guy won't show up if you're actually in the tower, so there's your problem. If you hide outside, you'll see him walking to or away from the tower, I think you can talk to him and end up confronting him/find out what's going on that way. I'm pretty sure he also has something on him that you can pickpocket off him that'll help.

e: but don't tell him what you're doing when you talk to him

I was outside the tower. I don't have the key, since Boyd got killed. Nobody showed up.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Simon Draskovic posted:

This was brought up in one of the earlier threads. My favorite explanation for the lack of ocean travel was giant albino radsharks.

There actually wasn't a nuclear war, that's just a really popular urban legend. Fallout world just takes place after a whole bunch of environmental laws got repealed, all public funding for schools and utilities was diverted to the DoD, etc. The rest of the world is just fine and once people go out there and discover that of course they don't try to come back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alpine Mustache posted:

I was outside the tower. I don't have the key, since Boyd got killed. Nobody showed up.

I had a problem with that too. You can't wait until 1, you have to wait until about 12, then manually sit there crouched and wait for the person to come up to the tower on their own. It's a long walk from where they start at. v:v:v

EDIT: Unless you already did that, in which case you are in fact screwed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Resurrect Boyd.

Why were there a pile of Legionaries at McCarran?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Resurrect Boyd.

Why were there a pile of Legionaries at McCarran?

I have no idea. Right after i got the quest i heard a bunch of gunshots and there were legion people inside the building. Didn't notice boyd was dead until an hour later when i couldn't find her anywhere. then I noticed one of the corpses was named.

Whats the console command to resurrect someone?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
resurrect followed by their ID. Sounds like an assassination squad to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RagnarokAngel posted:

Never mind boats, we aint even seen trucks. :v: There's a lack of vehicles in general but I kind of suspect that it's an engine limitation.