Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:siren: New Comic: Losers Weepers :siren:

I have to say that I did not see this coming at all. It's exciting!

In retrospect though, all the elements for it were set up well in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Affi posted:

Oh no! Please have the next strip be what I hope it will be!

Xykon coming in and slaughtering everyone?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I'd really like to play an Azure City Underground D&D scenario, it could be a really nice diversion from the typical adventure routine. Low level characters, fighting to survive, emphasis on stealth and tactics.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Geekner posted:

I'd really like to play an Azure City Underground D&D scenario, it could be a really nice diversion from the typical adventure routine. Low level characters, fighting to survive, emphasis on stealth and tactics.

I did that in a d20 Modern campaign set in Nazi France. It was good times.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

terminal mehmet posted:

Exactly!

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
One does wonder how the Resistance get's such good intel, I guess they literally have nothing better to do though.

What I see happening is Xykon flips his poo poo and decides to burn Gobtopia down and murder everyone in it,both to root out the Resistance and he'll finally see having a populated city around as more of a liability than a benefit (no resistance if there's no populace). This will of course ignite the long brewing tension between Xykon and Redcloak.

At least I hope so, it seems like the most interesting way for things to play out from here.

e:VVVVV Still, even knowing that the phylactery is missing, the search for it was massive, there were thousands of goblins looking. Even so they were able to identify when the goblins found it, which goblins found it, and organize an ambush to intercept it before it was bought back to the tower, which the goblins set off to do immediately, that's extraordinarily good intelligence.

The Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 4, 2012

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

terminal mehmet posted:

Whiles that's certainly possible, and would be an interesting lead-in to Xykon getting back into the game, it seems kind of cheap. With the Cloister effect going on, there should be no way for Team X to know that the phylactery was found. I mean, I suppose they could have sent a runner ahead with the news, but there's no evidence of that in the strip.

Also, I think giving the good guys an edge vis a vis the stolen phylactery adds more drama to events than another massacre. We get that Xykon is powerful and ruthless. Giving him back his phylactery and ending any hope that Azure City will ever be freed just reinforces the status quo. Xykon going after Girard's Gate but being unable to risk death?

THAT'S more interesting.

EDIT: ^^^^ That's the advantage the good guys have...they're working as a team. Hinjo passed the word to the Elves who, in turn, told Team Peregrine that the goblins are looking for the phylactery. That's how Hinjo knew what was going on in Azure City to be able to tell V, after all. So the Resistance has been busy watching the search and looking for this exact opportunity.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 4, 2012

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
You know, paladins... All this letting the goblins sweat and bleed and die to overcome the many obstacles inherent in finding the treasure, only for you to seize it from them at the last minute... is kinda antagonist-ty...

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wili posted:

You know, paladins... All this letting the goblins sweat and bleed and die to overcome the many obstacles inherent in finding the treasure, only for you to seize it from them at the last minute... is kinda antagonist-ty...

the current leadership of the Sapphire Guard isn't Lawful Stupid.

edit: i know you're referencing Tarquin's (:swoon:) plan for OOTS, but my point vis a vis Saphirre Guild stands

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

jng2058 posted:

Whiles that's certainly possible, and would be an interesting lead-in to Xykon getting back into the game, it seems kind of cheap. With the Cloister effect going on, there should be no way for Team X to know that the phylactery was found. I mean, I suppose they could have sent a runner ahead with the news, but there's no evidence of that in the strip.

Also, I think giving the good guys an edge vis a vis the stolen phylactery adds more drama to events than another massacre. We get that Xykon is powerful and ruthless. Giving him back his phylactery and ending any hope that Azure City will ever be freed just reinforces the status quo. Xykon going after Girard's Gate but being unable to risk death?

THAT'S more interesting.

I agree, I think that this theft means that Xykon will give up on the search and just go for the gate without getting the phylactery back.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I agree, I think that this theft means that Xykon will give up on the search and just go for the gate without getting the phylactery back.

Xykon is impulsive, not stupid.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Xykon is impulsive, not stupid.

Xykon also knows he;s not the only person looking for the gates anymore.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Xykon also knows he;s not the only person looking for the gates anymore.

I'm not sure he does know that. I mean, he can suspect that between Team Peregrine's activities and V's attack on him that the Elves are after his bony rear end, but that could just be in retaliation for Azure City, not because of the Gate situation. Likewise, he has no reason to believe that the Order of the Stick is still functional, considering that he killed Roy, and only Haley and Belkar were still part of the Resistance.

Granted, he can suspect it. And if he doesn't, I'll bet you that Redcloak does.

Still, it seems to me that we actually have the inverse of what was going on before the Battle of Azure City. Back then, the Bad Guys were organized and on the move, while the Good Guys were complacent in their belief that they knew what was going on. Now the situation is reversed. The Good Guys are moving and the Bad Guys are on the back foot....and they don't even know it.

In short, never rule Azure City. It makes you drop your guard. :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Can Xykon scry outside of Azure City? Is the Cloister one-way or two-way? He may be completely unaware of anything outside the City at all.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Pope Guilty posted:

Can Xykon scry outside of Azure City? Is the Cloister one-way or two-way? He may be completely unaware of anything outside the City at all.

Durokan was able to scry outside his fortress when he Xykon was besieging it. Also, he's not in Azure city atm.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Xykon was the updating the cloister and he hasn't been around Azure city in ages. We don't know how long it's been though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Xykon was the updating the cloister and he hasn't been around Azure city in ages. We don't know how long it's been though.

Last we heard, the Cloister had at least five weeks to go, assuming that Xykon's only 21st level. It's hard to say for certain, of course, but it doesn't feel like it's been five weeks since Haley and company left Azure City. And that assumes we're looking at a 21st level Xykon. Every level above 21 is another week of Cloister.

EDIT: Actually, it's even longer than that. According to Tsukiko, Xykon renewed the Cloister every few weeks, so there's still months to go on that clock. Since the action's moving away from Azure City, I think we can safely say that the duration of the Cloister is "the rest of the story."

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 4, 2012

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe Redcloak tipped the resistance to 1) gently caress the hobbos and 2) gently caress Xykon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Maybe Redcloak tipped the resistance to 1) gently caress the hobbos and 2) gently caress Xykon.

Nah, Redcloak's fine with Hobbos now. And doing it to slow down Xykon to give himself more time to set Gobbotopia up would make sense except that it would jeopardize The Plan, and he just got word from his god to "Don't screw this up." Screwing over the arcane caster he needs would go against that directive.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm trying to construct a theory to explain why it's Tsukiko behind it, but I can't.

So I'll just throw out that my gut feeling is that it's her.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ZeeToo posted:

I'm trying to construct a theory to explain why it's Tsukiko behind it, but I can't.

So I'll just throw out that my gut feeling is that it's her.

She wants to set up Redcloak as incompetent and get more power with Xykon?

Poor girl just doesn't know that it's better to be further away from Xykon, not closer to him.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Holy poo poo, this is the first time we've seen Xykon since 2009

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm getting a bad feeling that no matter what happens, the Resistance has outlived their narrative usefulness. Maybe the elves backstab them in order to retrieve the phylactery (the elves might want it as leverage against Xykon), or maybe there's a fight to retrieve it during which they're wiped out, but this whole scene with the phylactery seems like the payoff for the current status quo in Azure City which means the last use these Azurites have plot-wise is in dying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarding the Cloister: it was very specifically said that you could scry inside the Cloister's boundaries, so perhaps they have someone inside the city who can do that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Regarding the Cloister: it was very specifically said that you could scry inside the Cloister's boundaries, so perhaps they have someone inside the city who can do that.

True, but they also have the best anti-detection spells they known on the phylactery so they can't use magic to find it. That's why they have to look for the phylactery by hand. Ergo, you can't scry on whomever's holding it or the people around it, so the very presence of the phylactery should render the strike team scry-proof.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

jng2058 posted:

True, but they also have the best anti-detection spells they known on the phylactery so they can't use magic to find it. That's why they have to look for the phylactery by hand. Ergo, you can't scry on whomever's holding it or the people around it, so the very presence of the phylactery should render the strike team scry-proof.

Scry everywhere. The spot you can't is where they are.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

builds character posted:

Interesting in theory, but that might be like trying to see your own blind spot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Speedball posted:

Interesting in theory, but that might be like trying to see your own blind spot.
Stare at a slightly-painfully bright white/yellow wall?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Colon V posted:

Stare at a slightly-painfully bright white/yellow wall?

The Azure City becomes Gobbotopia, which then becomes the Slightly Painfully Bright White/Yellow City

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

As demonstrated by the Ob'enn

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

jng2058 posted:

Nah, Redcloak's fine with Hobbos now. And doing it to slow down Xykon to give himself more time to set Gobbotopia up would make sense except that it would jeopardize The Plan, and he just got word from his god to "Don't screw this up." Screwing over the arcane caster he needs would go against that directive.

Tsu would be much easier for him to control than Xykon, and she could conceivably handle the arcane side of the ritual. Maybe he's planning a power grab?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Tsu would be much easier for him to control than Xykon, and she could conceivably handle the arcane side of the ritual. Maybe he's planning a power grab?

Maybe, but Tsukiko works for Xykon 'cause of the whole undead lust thing she's got going there. Redcloak's got no hold on her, and in fact they hate each other stemming from when Redcloak tried to kill her. Further, unlike Xykon, she's never shown any interest in ruling the world, so tempting her with the power to rule the world isn't going to work unless she thinks she can make the whole world undead...but since she also knows that Redcloak won't stand for that, there's even less common ground.

In short, not only would I expect Tsu to fight to the death...or undeath...to protect Xykon, even if you found a way to take him out without also taking her out, she'd either go out of her way to try and kill Redcloak, or just teleport the hell on out and plot revenge.

No, turning on Xykon now would involve starting over with a new arcane caster, and Redcloak doesn't have time for that, especially with The Dark One breathing down his neck.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Between the date of the comic, the writing, the concept, the art, and the context in which it was referenced, this is one of the most powerfully nerdy hyperlinks I've seen in ages, and I unironically salute you sir or madam.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They probably just had intel through spying about which sector the goblins were searching in/which entrance and exit to the sewer they were using, so when they came out of the sewer bragging about their find it was a perfect time to strike.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TremendousMajestic posted:

Between the date of the comic, the writing, the concept, the art, and the context in which it was referenced, this is one of the most powerfully nerdy hyperlinks I've seen in ages, and I unironically salute you sir or madam.

Schlock Mercenary fascinates me mostly because you watch a guy go from having the drawing skills of a twelve-year-old to actually having his own cohesive style.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ze Pollack posted:

Schlock Mercenary fascinates me mostly because you watch a guy go from having the drawing skills of a twelve-year-old to actually having his own cohesive style.

I liked Schlock Mercenary but eventually it hit up against the "END ALREADY" feeling I get that keeps me from enjoying many things.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's probably plenty of arcane casters in Gobbotopia, but as Start of Darkness shows us, Red Cloak sticks with Xykon for...other reasons...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ze Pollack posted:

See also: Penny-Arcade.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Another update:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0825.html

Well, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Demons/devils and an... Osmium Elemental? Redcloak is picking up some style.