Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yo people Jens is in charge of Minecraft now. Notch doesn't do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Install Gentoo posted:

Doesn't make Notch any less dumb.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Notch had to have done something right for you to care enough about the game to complain about it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Install Gentoo posted:

He still says stupid poo poo, which is why he needs a PR person.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Notch hit gold(heh) with the first completely procedurally generated, fully-editable, open-world game(3D data array or whatever). If he thinks he, or anyone, will come up with something better he is surely mistaken. Other games require content from artists, designers, etc. I would like to see Notch fight Will Wright, though.

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 5, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

All the game's interest is from the fact that it's Virtual Lego. Notch didn't come up with some inspiring idea, he took the idea of Lego, something almost every child played with and loved as a kid, and made it into a game, which was loved, and then he made it more and more like a survival game, which nobody really cares about ultimately. Yes, it makes it more of a challenge and gives you something to do, but would you say you bought Minecraft because of the great AI, or the wonderful combat, or the amazing hunger system?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
The guy is just utterly delusional.

The game has enough, nobody is loving worried about it getting some unwanted flavor from new blood being added to their dev team. We just want all the half-assed incomplete buggy barely working features they've continued to pile in to actually be fixed and/or fleshed out.

Don't have these new drone code lackeys come up with a single goddamn new thing AT ALL, just have them finish the goddamn game now that you're calling it a finished game and charging like it is.

Is that too much to ask? I even like all the new stuff, but it's clearly and blatantly not completed, and full of wacky bugs that need to be fixed.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I guess Notch did creatively implement a lot of cool ideas early on, so he deserves at least that even if many of them were taken from other games/places (there actually were a few "lego" games that preceded Minecraft, just none of them worked as well, believe it or not), but since redstone was added it seems like other people have made all of the best contributions (even redstone repeaters was Jeb's doing, if I remember correctly).

But, yeah, other companies can figure out how to hire people who only fix bugs and improve engines without changing a game's "feel", so he needs to stop allowing his ego to force him into a position of incompetence.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Notch posted:

There’s a lot of infrastructure that needs to be done...

How can he not realize that this is the only reason people want him to hire more dudes. My computer runs the final battle in Half Life 2 ep 2 with perfect framerate but I can't get Minecraft to run for more than 20 minutes before it starts to chug and crash.

Hire four dudes, tell them "make it run as perfectly as possible and develop a real mod API. Don't change anything else." There, I solved Notch's problem.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

There are many different directions that this game could go. None would make everyone happy. Welcome to the world of inadvertently successful indie games!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fire posted:

Notch had to have done something right for you to care enough about the game to complain about it.

No one's saying that he didn't do anything right so go tuck that strawman away

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yeah he did a pretty good job getting featured in a penny arcade cartoon.

Seriously though, what are the parts of minecraft that weren't derivative of other games? The only things I can think of are the cool procedurally generated terrain and, uh redstone?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

a starwar betamax posted:

Yeah he did a pretty good job getting featured in a penny arcade cartoon.

Seriously though, what are the parts of minecraft that weren't derivative of other games? The only things I can think of are the cool procedurally generated terrain and, uh redstone?

I think pretty much everything he's added since the hunger system was derived from Elder Scrolls.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Blockland + Standed II

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think pretty much everything he's added since the hunger system was derived from Elder Scrolls.

Perhaps out of spite from the whole scrolls debacle :tinfoil:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Dude is capricious/an indie dev :haw:

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

feigning interest posted:

There are many different directions that this game could go. None would make everyone happy. Welcome to the world of inadvertently successful indie games!

There are still plenty of directions that would make everyone but Notch happy, though.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
To be fair, the one thing I loved about Notch more than anything else hasn't changed since I started following Minecraft over a year ago- his honesty, especially on his blog.

That's just turned from liking him sharing details about making Infdev and getting all excited about meeting Valve to loving the trainwreck of him trying sooooooo hard to prove how right he is, always, forever. He's my favorite five-year-old millionaire. :allears:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Old Greg posted:

my favorite five-year-old millionaire. :allears:

This thread in a nutshell, or a wacky sitcom

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So how long until Notch goes full-on Howard Hughes levels of insane? He's on the right track so far. Kleenex boxes, not cutting his nails for a year, constructing a giant plane out of wood blocks, the works.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
The minecraft subreddit is so full of notch apologists its mind boggling. Somehow though my meme image of notch stating that quirks are great, and quirks are bugs still made it to the front page. I don't get it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Elysiume posted:

He still says stupid poo poo, which is why he needs a PR person.

Mojang has a PR person*, though. Lydia Winters. You might know her as MinecraftChick.

*(Alright, she's Director of Fun, but I think it's the same thing... Poor girl probably had no idea what she entered.)

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007
No no, someone with actual public relations training. Not someone trained in baking pretty cakes in Lazytown.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Tw1tchy posted:

All the game's interest is from the fact that it's Virtual Lego. Notch didn't come up with some inspiring idea, he took the idea of Lego, something almost every child played with and loved as a kid, and made it into a game, which was loved, and then he made it more and more like a survival game, which nobody really cares about ultimately. Yes, it makes it more of a challenge and gives you something to do, but would you say you bought Minecraft because of the great AI, or the wonderful combat, or the amazing hunger system?

This. Can't agree more.

Personally this is my experience of minecraft:

• Whoa, surviving that first night was pretty tense and scary. Thank goodness the zombies didn't eat me!
  • Ok, I can survive the night, now what?
  • Hmmm, building houses and stuff is pretty fun. Swapping tools to mine the different materials gets old pretty loving fast though.
  • Oh hey, what's this? Natural caves! Awesome, now I can get to the good ores without having to do so much lovely digging!
  • Whoa, an abandoned mine? This is so awesome and creepy!
  • Omg the mine goes on FOREVER
  • Ok it really does go on forever.
  • Yeah ok I get it. Right, what else can I do?
  • Build poo poo
  • Build poo poo
  • For gently caress's sake, the combat mechanics and hunger and everything else that's "NOT LEGO" really is loving shite, isn't it.
  • gently caress this poo poo, I'm just going to hack my map with NBTedit and play in Creative mode.
  • (Now in Creative) Ok it's fun again!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

This. Can't agree more.

• Whoa, surviving that first night was pretty tense and scary. Thank goodness the zombies didn't eat me!
  • Ok, I can survive the night, now what?
  • Hmmm, building houses and stuff is pretty fun. Swapping tools to mine the different materials gets old pretty loving fast though.
  • Oh hey, what's this? Natural caves! Awesome, now I can get to the good ores without having to do so much lovely digging!
  • Whoa, an abandoned mine? This is so awesome and creepy!
  • Omg the mine goes on FOREVER
  • Ok it really does go on forever.
  • Yeah ok I get it. Right, what else can I do?
  • Build poo poo
  • Build poo poo
  • For gently caress's sake, the combat mechanics and hunger and everything else that's "NOT LEGO" really is loving shite, isn't it.
  • gently caress this poo poo, I'm just going to hack my map with NBTedit and play in Creative mode.
  • (Now in Creative) Ok it's fun again!

Since getting to play Creative on 1.0, I haven't played normally ever since. Combat is poo poo and I don't ever want to play with the hunger system.

That said, if there were a RPG system with quests and such, I might return. But for me, the fun lies in building fantastic skyscrapers (tall boxes), castles (grey boxes out of cobblestone), mansions (other boxes) and pyramids (not boxes.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iacen posted:

and pyramids (not boxes.)

Half a tilted box.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

This would be my personal experience:

• So I punch trees to get logs, right? Then what? poo poo, let me just alt-tab to look this up again.
  • Man this world is huge! I wonder if I can go find snow? (Pre-biomes, so no.)
  • Oh hey it went dark.
  • Fuckfuckfuckfuck where are these arrows coming from?
  • gently caress.
  • Well now I know what to do to stay alive!
  • Man there is nothing to do. I have tons of resources, and yet I only like building small houses. Maybe I should make a whole village?
  • When are there going to be good new features?
  • I'm tired of this game now.

No lie, I have stopped bothering playing Minecraft in both Survival and Creative modes. Survival is tedious because there's nothing for me to do but grind for the same three or four resources. Creative is a complete no-go because I have no reason to create anything, and I don't want to spend hours doing it by hand anyway.

I still hold out hope that the game will progress to the point where I find it fun to play, but right now that looks like it'll be because of a mod, not anything that Mojang are planning.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fire posted:

For years I've wished Survival (not survival horror) would catch on as a genre, so an open freeform world based on that, no matter how buggy or unfinished, was going to be something I latched onto. I mean hell, I played WURM and Schiffbruch and Stranded 2, and they're all buggy and hideous, but no big developers want to step up and give the genre a fair chance so until Valve makes Robinson Crusoe: The Game then I'm going to keep playing what I've got.

As for the whole "because it's lego" and "no one cares about survival" bit: I care way more about the survival and carving yourself a niche than I do about the lego aspect. Freebuilding is of course infinitely more fun than just plopping down premade structures, but for what I play it for, creative mode is pointless.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I like the game as it is now. I like feeling like the things I'm building and creating are earned. Sure, there's room for improvement (experience farming is soooo loving terrible), but I don't hate the fact that there's combat, or a hunger system, and so forth.

But I would like if they continued to add things. New items to craft. New enemies to deal with. New biomes and realms. Maybe villages could have merchants that buy and sell items, some that you can't get anywhere else. Craft gold nuggets into gold coins to use as currency. Craft leather and string into a pouch to carry them in, or just fill a huge pit with them and go swimming like Scrooge McDuck.

There's just so much poo poo left to do to expand the game and make it even more fun. Why aren't they making it more fun?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So new snapshot is out.

Mojang posted:

• New language translations. We changed from using Google Docs to a new system, so these may still contain a lot of errors or missing texts. Please check the Minecraft forums (language section) for more info.
  • Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
  • Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
  • Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables
  • Changed colors of spawning eggs to more represent the mobs they spawn
  • Made biomes slightly more varied (hills in forests and deserts, beaches)
  • Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
  • Removed collision box from ladders
  • Updated fence gate collision box to align with fences

I can't play now, can people tell/show what has changed in terrain generation?

Edit: release later this month

tinaun fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 5, 2012

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

quote:

Removed collision box from ladders
Well that makes me glad I went through the trouble of switching the ladders for signs in my pig grinder.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Those are all valid and needed improvements; I'm surprised.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Swamp biome transitions look a hell of a lot better now:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I wonder if kas has had any interactions with Jeb since he took over the helm. Perhaps some of the stupid decisions made regarding textures and graphics can be changed now!

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Faraday Cage posted:

Swamp biome transitions look a hell of a lot better now:

Wow they really do.

The only complaint I have with minecraft at the moment is that while we know they will fix and adjust everything eventually, releasing it and making it minecraft version 1 was definitely premature and they shouldn't have had a convention to "release" something that was no more finished than it had ever been.

I presume it was just so they could draw a line under Notch's involvment and get on with things in a more structured way.

I'm actually getting interested again now it's obvious they're starting to make headway with the fixes and tweaks.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Notch just hired the maker of Cube World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujKOju_MBM

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

tinaun posted:

So new snapshot is out.

I can't play now, can people tell/show what has changed in terrain generation?

Edit: release later this month

Isn't it wonderful what happens when a competent developer takes over? Now he just needs to hire kas.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Tw1tchy posted:

Was coming here to post this. I really have to wonder what sort of input (if any) he's going to have on the further Minecraft development.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Tw1tchy posted:

But for what? For Minecraft or for another project. Because I'm not sure I will be able to sum up any enthusiasm for a new Mojang game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Cephalocidal posted:

Was coming here to post this. I really have to wonder what sort of input (if any) he's going to have on the further Minecraft development.

Iacen posted:

But for what? For Minecraft or for another project. Because I'm not sure I will be able to sum up any enthusiasm for a new Mojang game.

It seems that he codes in C++, so I doubt he's going to be a coder. Notch also mentioned wanting to plug his brain into a keyboard, so I think Notch just loves his creativity and wants him to actually think of things that won't be useless. It could be an interesting addition to the team, since he does seem to know what he's doing. Also Notch said that his game will be unaffected, and not affiliated with Mojang.