Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

seravid posted:

My Brazilian coffee arrived. On the bag, a little description praises its "outstanding sweetness" with notes of chocolate, caramel and toffee. Sounds good to me.
15 minutes later, the coffee's ready and it tastes exactly like the Ethiopian I had before. Mocking me, sip after sip, as I try to detect even a hint of sweetness, chocolate, caramel, anything other than the familiar nothingness in the mouth and lingering bitter aftertaste.

Welp, end of the line for me.

Do you ever taste other things like wine, whisky, rum, or tea? I mean taste, not just drink. These "notes" that descriptions like to brag about are just subtleties in the coffee, the coffee wont actually taste like a cup of toffee or caramel or hot chocolate or gingersnapcookies with wild berries. It tastes like coffee with a hint of fruitiness, or coffee with a caramel-like roastiness, or coffee with a rustic chocolate like earthiness, or coffee with a bright spicy nuance. These notes are just things that the cuppers, when cupping, think the coffee's subtleties remind them of.

A vid on tasting vs drinking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUErC5z9p4

some notes on cupping http://coffeecuppers.com/Tasting-Primer.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
So I'm making my second foray into french pressing. I've got some coffee called "Bud's Buzz" (I'm told) that I scored off of a guy who owns a cafe next to where I work. I'm using 16oz of water and 4 scoops of the whole beans with the supplied Bodum 7g spoon. I've heard a lot of conflicting points on coffee:water ratios but this will be a fun experiment in strong coffee.

e: I think these beans are too dark for my tastes. Had to add milk and a touch of sugar, it's bitter as hell but still flavorful in a weird way.

TheFrailNinja fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

GrAviTy84 posted:

Do you ever taste other things like wine, whisky, rum, or tea? I mean taste, not just drink. These "notes" that descriptions like to brag about are just subtleties in the coffee, the coffee wont actually taste like a cup of toffee or caramel or hot chocolate or gingersnapcookies with wild berries. It tastes like coffee with a hint of fruitiness, or coffee with a caramel-like roastiness, or coffee with a rustic chocolate like earthiness, or coffee with a bright spicy nuance. These notes are just things that the cuppers, when cupping, think the coffee's subtleties remind them of.

A vid on tasting vs drinking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUErC5z9p4

some notes on cupping http://coffeecuppers.com/Tasting-Primer.htm

It's not something I usually do, no. That doesn't mean I don't know the difference between drinking and tasting, common sense told me early on to do more just gulping down the coffee. I do something similar to the "chewing" technique seen in that youtube clip.

Hope I'm not sounding too whiny, if anything I was loving committed to this and did my best to get it right, posting only when I ran out of options.
:spergin: I've tried three different beans (two from an online roaster, one from the local supermarket), two different brewing methods, using a regular grinder then heavily modded then back to regular, everything from espresso grind to boulders (grinding immediately before brewing), carefully measured coffee/water ratios, steeping times going from 2 to 6 minutes, water 30s/5min/10min/20 minutes off boil, rinsing the paper filter, pre-heating the cup, pouring the water at once or in phases, straight or in circular motions, stirring once or multiple times, blooming the grinds... :spergin:

To be fair, this coffee is much more pleasant than the Krups pods I'm used to, but that's really not saying much. Without a square of dark chocolate to go along it's actually quite bland, especially when you think about all the talk of sweetness and fruits. It's not like I was expecting coffee to taste like apple juice, but with people hyperboling the gently caress out of this - using terms like "outstanding sweetness", "huge mouthfeel" and "expect a blast of *insert fruit*" - I certainly was expecting it to be more than good old coffee with the slightest, subtlest hint of something vaguely resembling chocolate and fruits but not really. But I suppose that was my mistake and since I dabble in high-end audio - largest exporter of hyperbolic silly terms - I really should know better.

lemoz
Dec 20, 2011

I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly, I'll beat you unfairly first.
After reading this thread I have decided to dive in to the deep end. NO more shall my coffee be from Starbucks !!!!!

I bought an Aeropress and a hand crank grinder, which will arrive tomorrow. I will also be getting some fresh roasted beans from my local roaster. I fully expect to be blown away by my first cup or this thread is the best form of false advertising ever :colbert:.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Goddamnnit, they are out of refurb maestro pluses.
They're listed right there, but nooooo. . .out of stock.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lemoz posted:

After reading this thread I have decided to dive in to the deep end. NO more shall my coffee be from Starbucks !!!!!

I bought an Aeropress and a hand crank grinder, which will arrive tomorrow. I will also be getting some fresh roasted beans from my local roaster. I fully expect to be blown away by my first cup or this thread is the best form of false advertising ever :colbert:.
I liked the wonderfully accurate description of the Starbucks Roast. That stuff is one of the things that I always use milk/sugar.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

seravid posted:

It's not something I usually do, no. That doesn't mean I don't know the difference between drinking and tasting, common sense told me early on to do more just gulping down the coffee. I do something similar to the "chewing" technique seen in that youtube clip.

Hope I'm not sounding too whiny, if anything I was loving committed to this and did my best to get it right, posting only when I ran out of options.
:spergin: I've tried three different beans (two from an online roaster, one from the local supermarket), two different brewing methods, using a regular grinder then heavily modded then back to regular, everything from espresso grind to boulders (grinding immediately before brewing), carefully measured coffee/water ratios, steeping times going from 2 to 6 minutes, water 30s/5min/10min/20 minutes off boil, rinsing the paper filter, pre-heating the cup, pouring the water at once or in phases, straight or in circular motions, stirring once or multiple times, blooming the grinds... :spergin:

To be fair, this coffee is much more pleasant than the Krups pods I'm used to, but that's really not saying much. Without a square of dark chocolate to go along it's actually quite bland, especially when you think about all the talk of sweetness and fruits. It's not like I was expecting coffee to taste like apple juice, but with people hyperboling the gently caress out of this - using terms like "outstanding sweetness", "huge mouthfeel" and "expect a blast of *insert fruit*" - I certainly was expecting it to be more than good old coffee with the slightest, subtlest hint of something vaguely resembling chocolate and fruits but not really. But I suppose that was my mistake and since I dabble in high-end audio - largest exporter of hyperbolic silly terms - I really should know better.

Don't read the reviews or descriptions, just find what you might like, by region and roast, and just enjoy it. I got beans from my local roaster that was nothing more than a paper bag with the word "Sumatra" written on it. Did it taste like grapefruit and allspice and lilac? I dunno, it just tasted like a good cup of Joe to me.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
As someone who is a serious coffee snob, I think most of the tasting notes are total horseshit. Additionally, it's really difficult to brew great drip that is extracted just enough to really highlight the specific flavors. I've definitely tasted blueberries in coffee in a strong way, and it was really cool, but it's not going to happen unless you're really good at making coffee.

To TheFrailNinja, it sounds like your coffee was ground too finely, causing overextraction (bitterness).

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

AriTheDog posted:

As someone who is a serious coffee snob, I think most of the tasting notes are total horseshit. Additionally, it's really difficult to brew great drip that is extracted just enough to really highlight the specific flavors. I've definitely tasted blueberries in coffee in a strong way, and it was really cool, but it's not going to happen unless you're really good at making coffee.

To TheFrailNinja, it sounds like your coffee was ground too finely, causing overextraction (bitterness).

I don't think that was the problem, I think the grind was actually one of the most successful parts of the process. I think it was a combination of the bean being too dark for my taste, and the fact that I went for broke on the coffee : water ratio. I steeped it for 3.5-4 minutes pretty exactly. Another thing I'm wondering is, I measure out exactly 2 cups (16oz) of water in my tea pot, but how much is actually still there by the time it boils? It doesn't look like a whole hell of a lot by the time I pour it. I think that further over-strengthened the brew.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AriTheDog posted:

I can pick up the notes in Ethiopian. I have an easier time picking up the notes in beans or grounds than in the coffee for other regions. But I do notice the difference between different good beans, even within the same country.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nm posted:

Goddamnnit, they are out of refurb maestro pluses.
They're listed right there, but nooooo. . .out of stock.

Hands off, they're mine. I'm pretty sure the guy who was supposed to sell me his used one locally died or something. I've been refreshing that page for the past few days and nothing.

I think they officially update on Fridays?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I think they officially update on Fridays?

Usually Fridays yes. For anyone interested I will be selling my Starbucks branded Maestro soon as my Vario will arrive today. I got the Maestro from Baratza's refurbished store 2 months ago and it's perfect. If interested PM although it's heavy and may be easier to sell locally.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Doh004 posted:

Question! Is it illegal for my little studio apartment in NYC to not have a smoke detector? Because I definitely don't have one which I discovered after smoking up my kitchen the other night with roasting coffee.

Sure looks that way! http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/faq/quality.html#smoke

On a different note, does anybody know an easy way to clean a Contigo Autoseal? I forgot to clean it for a week or so and it has some gunk up inside the lid that's hard to reach.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
New setup from Seattlecoffeegear.com is here!

I've dialed in my Vario to pull a pretty drat good shot. Had a few now, hope I can sleep...looking forward to the AM though!

Edit: The Vario is made in Taiwan...thought these things were made in Germany?? Cheap labor FTW I suppose....

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 6, 2012

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

TheFrailNinja posted:

I don't think that was the problem, I think the grind was actually one of the most successful parts of the process. I think it was a combination of the bean being too dark for my taste, and the fact that I went for broke on the coffee : water ratio. I steeped it for 3.5-4 minutes pretty exactly. Another thing I'm wondering is, I measure out exactly 2 cups (16oz) of water in my tea pot, but how much is actually still there by the time it boils? It doesn't look like a whole hell of a lot by the time I pour it. I think that further over-strengthened the brew.

Yikes. I just received a french press and grinder for christmas...am I really supposed to be thinking about it this much? :confused:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Sure looks that way! http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/faq/quality.html#smoke

On a different note, does anybody know an easy way to clean a Contigo Autoseal? I forgot to clean it for a week or so and it has some gunk up inside the lid that's hard to reach.

Have you run it through the dishwasher?

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yikes. I just received a french press and grinder for christmas...am I really supposed to be thinking about it this much? :confused:

Maybe at the start, just because you want to know what works and what doesn't. Once you get the hang of it, you don't need to be so precise and you'll learn how do it without exactly measuring. I know how much coffee to use by visually looking at how much goes into the grinder and I know how high up the water needs to be in the press.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 6, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Well, I had an amazon gift cert and bought a new maestro plus for like $100 after the gift cert.
It better rock my CCD world!

hotsauce posted:

Edit: The Vario is made in Taiwan...thought these things were made in Germany?? Cheap labor FTW I suppose....
Burrs in Europe, assembled in asia. Pretty standard.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Hot.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

nm posted:

Well, I had an amazon gift cert and bought a new maestro plus for like $100 after the gift cert.
It better rock my CCD world!

Let us know how it compares to the Hario mini.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Christ Baratza put up more refurbs and let me buy one. :mad:

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneer posted:

I found that starting with 35g of ground coffee and 500g of water was a good jumping off point for my French press coffee. Then I could tweak ratios as I worked through a bag of coffee to get things just right.

I just recently switched to a drip system, which is awesome and I like better than the French press. How important is it to get one of those kettles with the long thin spout? Right now I just pour direct from the kettle while trying to keep the water as close to the coffee as possible.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I found that starting with 35g of ground coffee and 500g of water was a good jumping off point for my French press coffee. Then I could tweak ratios as I worked through a bag of coffee to get things just right.

I just recently switched to a drip system, which is awesome and I like better than the French press. How important is it to get one of those kettles with the long thin spout? Right now I just pour direct from the kettle while trying to keep the water as close to the coffee as possible.

I sometimes use a Pyrex measuring cup, seems like it works fine for me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

It's more important with the Hario V60, bonmac V60 clones, and Chemex with non chemex filters. The problem with these is that their holes are so big that they drain very fast, and therefore are more grind, and pour dependent. If you have a narrow, single hole pourover filter holder, or use the chemex brand filter (super thick), then the accurate slow pour of a buono type kettle won't be as noticeable.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, they really just make pouring nice and gentle with no risk of dumping too much in at once but I've seen others just pour into a proper pitcher or pyrex instead with the same results.

Sweet Maria's has a cool electric goose neck kettle I'm thinking of grabbing for my mom, since she liked my Hario kettle so much over the holidays.

I will have a new Baratza Vario from Chris' Coffee next week, I only got it over a Rocky due to the insane reviews the Vario is getting. I feel a bit like a tool for spending so much and I know the coffee won't be $380 better than how it was with my Capresso Infinity but it will be fun anyway.

Also: Was at Cost Plus today and noticed they have a shitload of coffee stuff including some simple ceramic pourover cones, Chemex systems, various filters, Ibriks...all kinds of stuff.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 7, 2012

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Aeropress just came in today :3:. Makes pretty strong coffee when following the directions, but after adding water to get to "drip coffee strength" it seems significantly weaker. Any suggestions?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Does anyone know a good place to find a small single hole ceramic or glass pour over brewer? I like the Bonmac #2 at Sweet Maria's but I don't really like the idea of paying $10 to ship a $15 item.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Does anyone know a good place to find a small single hole ceramic or glass pour over brewer? I like the Bonmac #2 at Sweet Maria's but I don't really like the idea of paying $10 to ship a $15 item.

http://www.amazon.com/Cilio-Porcelain-No-Filter-Holder/dp/B002CX2UCO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2KLM5WYQYNQP9&colid=3GZ8PSPLBT5TR

If you've got prime, it's free ship!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

This thread has basically helped me switch over to a Maestro Plus... I couldn't stand the grief my Hario mill was giving me. I'm glad I swapped it - so much easier to dial in the right grind size for press pot.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Got a grinder for Christmas and visited the Algerian Coffee Shop in London to buy a selection of beans to use with my french press..

Seemed to all be in big shelf jars so no idea how old they were, but got them home and they tasted good. I'll give Has Bean a try next to see if I can tell a difference.

Is it normal for "full roast" beans to taste quite smoky? Some people that tried it commented that it tasted like an ashtray, which was a bit of a downer (luckily they liked the medium roasts)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, I was looking at that one, but there seem to be a lot of reviews saying it's thin/cheap/will crack. Since I've got Prime, though, and returns are free, I'll probably try it out.

Other question: do you guys recommend electric or stovetop kettles? I'm considering getting a Bonavita electric kettle or either the Hario Buono or the non-electric version of the Bonavita. Both of the latter look a bit thin, though, so I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable putting them on the stove...

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 8, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, I was looking at that one, but there seem to be a lot of reviews saying it's thin/cheap/will crack. Since I've got Prime, though, and returns are free, I'll probably try it out.

Other question: do you guys recommend electric or stovetop kettles? I'm considering getting a Bonavita electric kettle or either the Hario Buono or the non-electric version of the Bonavita. Both of the latter look a bit thin, though, so I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable putting them on the stove...

I prefer electric, heats faster, more efficient.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Any recommendation on electric kettles with programmed temps? Or is a regular kettle and a thermometer easier/better?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

traveling midget posted:

Any recommendation on electric kettles with programmed temps? Or is a regular kettle and a thermometer easier/better?

I know someone mentioned a Cuisinart electric kettle earlier in the thread. From what I can tell from the tea thread, it's accurate to +/- 2 degrees (but C or F?). I'm not too picky so I'm using the Aroma kettle and just going by cooling off from boiling.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

hotsauce posted:

New setup from Seattlecoffeegear.com is here!

Sup, tamper, espresso machine, grinder and scale (not pictured) buddy?

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

traveling midget posted:

I use this kettle but it has a pretty disruptive stream on the chemex. Just gotta be careful with it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mattdev posted:

Sup, tamper, espresso machine, grinder and scale (not pictured) buddy?

Niiiice. You just reminded me I need a knock box. Just curious what are your Vario settings for espresso? I've been using about 4 notches up from the bottom on the left and one down from the top on the right. Timing is about 11 seconds for a double shot grind. Pulls in about 30 seconds but is pretty blonde the whole time. I'm sure I'll get better but as it is now the shots are decent just not great.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Niiiice. You just reminded me I need a knock box. Just curious what are your Vario settings for espresso? I've been using about 4 notches up from the bottom on the left and one down from the top on the right. Timing is about 11 seconds for a double shot grind. Pulls in about 30 seconds but is pretty blonde the whole time. I'm sure I'll get better but as it is now the shots are decent just not great.

Wait are you saying that the shot is pulled in 11 seconds or 30 seconds?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wait are you saying that the shot is pulled in 11 seconds or 30 seconds?

Grind time 11 shot time 30. My bad.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

hotsauce posted:

The grind setting depends on so many factors that any numbers someone else gives you will be meaningless. Where you have the fine calibration set (see manual) and the dose weight will both have a major impact on this, but it varies quite a bit from machine to machine and coffee to coffee.

What size dose have you been using? From what I recall, the stock Silvia basket doesn't hold much more than 14g without touching the screen.

Have you learned about temperature surfing yet?

traveling midget posted:

There is no reason to buy a fancy temperature-controlled kettle for coffee. If you want to get a new electric kettle, you'd be much better off buying something like the Bonavita, which has some serious utility for pourover. I assume you have some sort of kitchen thermometer. Just check approximately how long it takes to get to your chosen temperature after boiling, and keep that in mind for future reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Just curious what are your Vario settings for espresso? I've been using about 4 notches up from the bottom on the left and one down from the top on the right. Timing is about 11 seconds for a double shot grind. Pulls in about 30 seconds but is pretty blonde the whole time. I'm sure I'll get better but as it is now the shots are decent just not great.

Like Bob_McBob said, it GREATLY depends on the coffee and the calibration of the grinder. I had a single origin Yemen coffee on last time and it required the top setting on the macro and about halfway on the micro, with 13 seconds to grind 18g. My current coffee (a blend) is second from the top on macro and 4 from the bottom on the micro, with 11.1 seconds to grind 18g. I usually measure everything out during my first few shots and then just set it until that particular coffee runs out. Remember: finer grind on the vario = longer time to grind the same weight of beans.

Speaking of which, have you calibrated your Vario yet? Usually they're fine out of the box, but I got mine used from a friend of mine and calibration made a huge difference in the fineness of the grind.

Excuse the instagram filters, but check out this crema porn.