Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Maybe I'm not on the right websites, but every time I pick up a Mac magazine, I see all kinds of weird products I never see online:

This cool little shelf that goes on the back of your display or iMac (I have seen this mentioned here before, I think)
http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

This 38-hour external battery for the Air (they have them for the iPad and other products)
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm

etc...

Anyone have any they'd like to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hold on, is the backpack shelf compatible with Lion?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bob Morales posted:

This 38-hour external battery for the Air (they have them for the iPad and other products)
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm

etc...

Anyone have any they'd like to share?

well, making someone cut their own magsafe adapter is one way to get around the patent issue, I guess...

I saw the review for this the other day, looked kind of interesting: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/01/aoc-e1649fwu-portable-usb-monitor-a-good-match-for-your-macbook/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

El Duke posted:

I saw the review for this the other day, looked kind of interesting: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/01/aoc-e1649fwu-portable-usb-monitor-a-good-match-for-your-macbook/
I'm still not convinced that we won't get this functionality out of the iPad at some point. I believe there are apps for it now, but that uses Wi-Fi so I have to imagine performance lackluster. A Thunderbolt-equipped iPad that can use its display as a secondary touch monitor for OS X devices seems like a no-brainer to me. It was actually the first application for Thunderbolt that I thought of when it started trickling out that Apple was using it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So, on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is fixing a backlight problem on an iMac?

I've got a 2007 24" iMac and either the inverter is hosed or one of the CCFL bulbs has burned out, leaving me with only half the display properly backlit. Parts don't look too bad on lcdparts.net, about $70, and I found a guide for a 20" that will probably do it, I was just hoping to hear first-hand from somebody who might have done it and could tell me if I should suck it up and pay for an Apple tech (since it's out of warranty).

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
My work has finally caved in to purchasing me an iMac but I'm wondering if I should try to put off for a while longer. Has anyone heard anything about an incoming refresh?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

suddenlyissoon posted:

My work has finally caved in to purchasing me an iMac but I'm wondering if I should try to put off for a while longer. Has anyone heard anything about an incoming refresh?
According to the MacRumors buying guide:

Recent Releases

???
245 days

05/2011
280 days

07/2010
280 days

10/2009
231 days

03/2009
309 days

It wouldn't be surprising to see a refresh soon.

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009
So I ordered my MBA refurb on Sunday from the Apple store and its been in "Preparing for Shipment" for 2 days now, anyone know if this is normal or should I call?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sunday and Monday were both non-business days. Don't worry about it.

DrCold
Nov 4, 2002

Kittykisses posted:

So I ordered my MBA refurb on Sunday from the Apple store and its been in "Preparing for Shipment" for 2 days now, anyone know if this is normal or should I call?

I know the feeling. I ordered my 27" iMac refurb on Friday and just got the shipping notification today. drat holidays. It should be here on the 6th. My first Apple! :)

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009

DrCold posted:

I know the feeling. I ordered my 27" iMac refurb on Friday and just got the shipping notification today. drat holidays. It should be here on the 6th. My first Apple! :)

Yeah I totally forgot about the Holiday... but I just got notice that it has shipped! First Mac for me as well, pretty pumped.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

suddenlyissoon posted:

The only major refresh I can think of is when Apple moves to the Intel Ivy Bridge range of CPUs around 2nd quarter this year. However they are more of an advantage for laptops, due to the better inbuilt GPU, than for desktops which run their own dedicated video (currently AMD)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

You Am I posted:

The only major refresh I can think of is when Apple moves to the Intel Ivy Bridge range of CPUs around 2nd quarter this year. However they are more of an advantage for laptops, due to the better inbuilt GPU, than for desktops which run their own dedicated video (currently AMD)

Thermal improvements should occur as well, which will be nice. No idea is quad-core ULV Ivy Bridge SKUs will exist for the MBAs, that would be awesome (and a 8GB BTO option :circlefap:)

MBA w/ a quad-core CPU + 8GB of RAM should give every MBP purchaser pause, in my opinion, especially over the 13" MBP. Superior screen on the 13" MBA as well compared to the sad, lovely excuse on the 13" MBP.

Really the stock options for screen on the 13" and 15" MBPs blow. 13" is retard low with no option to upgrade, and you have to pay an extra $150 for 1680x1050 on the 15". And they're all TN to boot :negative: I want a IPS screen with my loving Lexus of a notebook computer, goddammit.

movax fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 4, 2012

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I hope they improve the resolutions on their notebooks because it really is ridiculous paying so much for such lovely resolutions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

You Am I posted:

Yep, the chips and chipsets will be out around April last I checked. One benefit for the desktops is that USB 3 comes with the new chipsets so we should finally start seeing that on the Mac.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

I hope they improve the resolutions on their notebooks because it really is ridiculous paying so much for such lovely resolutions.

It's my biggest complaint with the MBPs honestly. At least the 15" has upgrade options, but I'm annoyed paying $150 extra dollars for something I feel should be offered stock. At the least, I'd like matte over glossy to not cost extra money.

I mean, they are good TN panels, but the technology itself just can't deliver good viewing angles, which is even more critical on a laptop than it is a desktop.

japtor: yeah USB 3.0 would be cool unless Apple is truly dickish for some reason and doesn't enable it...which would be :psyduck:

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

On this iMac I've absolutely got to have 1 external display but I'd like to have two. I don't really think this is possible with the 21.5 iMac but I know it is with the 27 model. Has anyone hooked two external 1080p monitors up to the low spec 27? I'm worried about it only having a 512mb video card and running three huge monitors.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I managed to record the weird whine this Mini makes sometimes.
http://tindeck.com/listen/kqso

That's not healthy, right? :ohdear:

Should I book in at the Apple Store and take a copy of the sound on my phone (as the Mini probably won't do this on demand), is this generally the first stage of getting the problem rectified?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, after going through four different SSDs I am pretty much settling on the logic board being dead in my 2010 13". gently caress. :suicide:

Last option is finding a replacement hard drive cable. I wonder if an AASP would sell me one.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 4, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I paid $40 for a hdd cable that looks like it was recovered from the bottom of the ocean but my machine lives again. Old F60 Corsair SSD is still dead, as expected, but the Corsair F115 that failed to appear / format earlier is currently working perfectly.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

movax posted:

I mean, they are good TN panels, but the technology itself just can't deliver good viewing angles, which is even more critical on a laptop than it is a desktop.

I can still read my 15" MBP screen perfectly well with great colour reproduction even when I'm around 70 degrees off axis, and my eyesight is terrible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

I can still read my 15" MBP screen perfectly well with great colour reproduction even when I'm around 70 degrees off axis, and my eyesight is terrible.

MBP screens are low-res but they are awesome quality.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

BlackMK4 posted:

I paid $40 for a hdd cable that looks like it was recovered from the bottom of the ocean but my machine lives again. Old F60 Corsair SSD is still dead, as expected, but the Corsair F115 that failed to appear / format earlier is currently working perfectly.

First impressions of the SSD? Is this your first SSD?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

movax posted:

japtor: yeah USB 3.0 would be cool unless Apple is truly dickish for some reason and doesn't enable it...which would be :psyduck:
I had that thought in the back of my head :ohdear:. The only reasons I could think of weren't really good (pushing TB or uh, just being too cheap for the extra traces/new ports?), or just temporary, like drivers aren't ready yet, but if they can slap TB on like they did last year USB 3 should be fine too.

suddenlyissoon posted:

On this iMac I've absolutely got to have 1 external display but I'd like to have two. I don't really think this is possible with the 21.5 iMac but I know it is with the 27 model. Has anyone hooked two external 1080p monitors up to the low spec 27? I'm worried about it only having a 512mb video card and running three huge monitors.
Pretty sure it'll depend more on what you're actually displaying. If it's just extra space for displaying more windows or movies or something (basic stuff) you should be fine, while spanning a complex game (pushing the card) across all displays could be a problem. I think the only real caveat for basic use is that Expose/Mission Control could get choppier, but I figure that would be an acceptable compromise for having all the extra space.

andyf posted:

I managed to record the weird whine this Mini makes sometimes.
http://tindeck.com/listen/kqso

That's not healthy, right? :ohdear:

Should I book in at the Apple Store and take a copy of the sound on my phone (as the Mini probably won't do this on demand), is this generally the first stage of getting the problem rectified?
I think I've heard that once, it was on reboot after a firmware update and kernel panic which freaked me out like hell...but it sounded like it was coming from a cheap USB hub I had. I haven't used it since then and haven't seen any problems. Have you tried running hardware test or anything? Otherwise how is it connected to power? Maybe it's compensating for a power fluctuation, which I guess could explain why it happens occasionally. Either way I'd take it in to be sure (assuming you haven't already modified it like I did).

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

japtor posted:

Pretty sure it'll depend more on what you're actually displaying. If it's just extra space for displaying more windows or movies or something (basic stuff) you should be fine, while spanning a complex game (pushing the card) across all displays could be a problem. I think the only real caveat for basic use is that Expose/Mission Control could get choppier, but I figure that would be an acceptable compromise for having all the extra space.

Found an even better solution...I asked my boss how much I could spend and when she said, just make it under 3 grand it made my whole life easier. 27 in iMac ordered!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

decypher posted:

First impressions of the SSD? Is this your first SSD?

It's faster than the F60, but that is my only impression of it. I've somehow run across the line of most of the Corsair Force drives due to a combination of pricing and what I could actually manage to get to work over the past couple of years. I've had a F40, F60, and now a F115 and all have worked well - albeit the F60 that I am now RMA'ing after having for 4-5 months since it failed in a read only state.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone get deal emails from Microcenter?

I got one this morning that had something to do with a $899 13" Macbook air, but I think it was the older 1.86GHz model with the 256GB drive. Because of the way GMail and my iPhone work, I deleted the message but can't find it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone get deal emails from Microcenter?

I got one this morning that had something to do with a $899 13" Macbook air, but I think it was the older 1.86GHz model with the 256GB drive. Because of the way GMail and my iPhone work, I deleted the message but can't find it.

If you delete an e-mail from a Google Apps account on your iPhone through the Mail app, it flings it into Archive, I'm pretty sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

If you delete an e-mail from a Google Apps account on your iPhone through the Mail app, it flings it into Archive, I'm pretty sure.

Found it, I searched for 'microcenter' and not 'micro center'

http://slickdeals.net/f/3791426-Apple-Macbook-Air-13-1-86GHz-2GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Invidia-320M-Bluetooth-802-11n-899-MicroCenter-B-M

That's a weird config - 256GB but 2GB RAM, the old C2D 13" model. Not a terrible deal for $899 though.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I know this is a vague question, but is this a good deal?:

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=AP0063

I can also get a further $50 off of the price.

I checked on Craigslist and Kijiji, and comparable Macbooks were selling for $550 and $600. I need a laptop for school, and it needs to be cheap, but I don't want a netbook and this seems like a good deal.

Also how well could you expect that Macbook to run Lion?

The Monarch fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 5, 2012

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Wanting to buy a Macbook Pro. My uses are as follows:

Schoolwork/Office/Spreadsheets/Email/Web Surfing/Photoshop/Dreamweaver

Potentially the occasional game of Starcraft or something, and maybe dual booting Windows 7 for a few random programs, and maybe Visual Studio.

Is the 13" sufficient for these needs, or would I be better off spending another $600 on the low-tier 15"?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

LLJKSiLk posted:

Wanting to buy a Macbook Pro. My uses are as follows:

Schoolwork/Office/Spreadsheets/Email/Web Surfing/Photoshop/Dreamweaver

Potentially the occasional game of Starcraft or something, and maybe dual booting Windows 7 for a few random programs, and maybe Visual Studio.

Is the 13" sufficient for these needs, or would I be better off spending another $600 on the low-tier 15"?

Get a 13" MBA instead.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Sulk posted:

Get a 13" MBA instead.

I hear SC2 lags like poo poo if you play 4x4 on the air.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Personally I would get something with a discrete GPU if you want to play games, although it sounds like that would be out of your price range? (I'm assuming the base 15" MBP still does not have a GPU?)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

~Coxy posted:

Personally I would get something with a discrete GPU if you want to play games, although it sounds like that would be out of your price range? (I'm assuming the base 15" MBP still does not have a GPU?)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

wrongo boyo.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

LLJKSiLk posted:

Bump down the settings. Even on a 2006 MacBook Pro I can play 4x4 SC2 with minimum settings and no frame rate drop. Also you should only play 1x1 SC2 so then you can become MLG. Also get Fusion or Parallels and virtualize Windows for those Windows-only programs you need.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

LLJKSiLk posted:

I'd get the Air anyway, Starcraft be damned. I don't think you'd regret it, especially if Starcraft is only a "sometimes" thing.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

illcendiary posted:

I'd get the Air anyway, Starcraft be damned. I don't think you'd regret it, especially if Starcraft is only a "sometimes" thing.

I think this video might have sold me on the 13"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuajBzQ119Y&feature=related

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

LLJKSiLk posted:

You'll appreciate the extra screen real estate that the MBA provides with it's higher resolution screen, especially if you use Photoshop/Dream Weaver/ Spreadsheets.

I couldn't stand doing any software development on my old MBP 13". Ended up upgrading to the MBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

LLJKSiLk posted:

13" MBA is faster thanks to its flash memory storage drive. Trust me.