Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Machine Mart stuff is generally ok - the Clarke kit is alright, and seems to last decently, but the trick is to buy it on discount. Make sure you give them your contact details when you buy something, and every now and then you'll get a voucher for a ticket-admission sale day, with stuff either VAT free (Clarke brand) or 10% off (everything else).

I'm a big fan of Halfords tools as well - again, but on offer (it's currently on their sale for many of the kits, so have a look). £100 on one of their half-price bigger sets is a good investment as a starter for your "proper" toolkit.

I agree with Kozmo on the jack and axle stands, definitely the prime big items you need.

There are a couple of specific things I'd say are worth having if you don't already:
- A breaker bar. They're not expensive, and a good addition to a socket set (almost none of them come with one).

- Stanley locking adjustable. The best parts of an adjustable spanner and a molegrip, doesn't come out that often when you have a reasonable selection of spanners, but unlike either of its parent tools, it won't gently caress up fastener heads.

- Hose clamping-off pliers. If you're working on brakes or fuel lines, these are great for stopping comedy "I tickled it and it spat in my eye" moments. Expecially as most of this stuff actually stings like gently caress.

- Kozmonaut suggested a rubber mallet, another alternative if a mallet with one nylon face and one copper face, which lets you twat things in a non-damaging manner. Get one with replaceable faces and you can have whatever you want on there.

- A digital caliper. It's handy to be able to measure more accurately than a tape or rule - a 6" one isn't expensive, you largely don't need a micrometer a lot of the time, and I'm too drat lazy to peer at vernier markings when I can have a nice lcd display instead.

- Cheap tap and die set for cleaning out threads. A liability if you're intending to cut fresh threads in anything except cheese, but perfectly ok to just run through cruddy mounting points etc and get the poo poo out.

- Decent metal-bodied Stanley knife. They're like, what, a fiver for a pukka-gen Stanley 99E? Cheap ones always fall apart on me, and those plastic snap-blade things are loving horrible.

- Jumbo tub of cable ties. Where the gently caress do they all go? Honestly, I don't know. Just that I keep needing them.

- Duplicates of the poo poo that you keep stealing from the kitchen drawer - scissors, bin bags, kitchen towel, that sort of stuff.

- Box of latex gloves. Just easier than having to really scrub your hands clean all the time, especially for "just need five minutes to do X" jobs.

- Good hand cleaner - because you still get dirty anyway. Forget soap, Lidl's W5 brand hand cleaner is only a couple of quid and totally boss.

- Something to kneel/lie on. Those foam kneeler pads for gardeners are quite useful, or the traditional carpet sample square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

- Decent metal-bodied Stanley knife. They're like, what, a fiver for a pukka-gen Stanley 99E? Cheap ones always fall apart on me, and those plastic snap-blade things are loving horrible

Echoing this. Just quit being cheap on these and spend the cash on the knife.

Oh and load up on those free HF flashlights. They get lost easily, but they are free and surprisingly, bright as gently caress for the cost of the flash light.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh and load up on those free HF flashlights. They get lost easily, but they are free and surprisingly, bright as gently caress for the cost of the flash light.

YES. I keep one in my glovebox and another here at work. Perfect for finding fatigue stress fractures in steel tubing (much to the dismay of my coworkers).

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Cheers for the advice. I do have a decent Stanley knife, and also plenty of cable ties. I will admit to being a bit of a whore for cable ties, often choosing to use them even when not entirely necessary, simply because they make things look much more hardcore. Guilty pleasure I guess.

And yes, I have a nice 72 LED magnetic light on the way, and also picked up a nifty little gadget today - one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Bright-Telescopic-Magnetic-Cushion/dp/B002UO8QBO , £3.99 at Halfords, has a suprisingly strong magnet and I can see it coming in rather useful.

I am properly excited for the better weather now, can't wait to get her taxed and out on the road again.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

InitialDave posted:

Stanley locking adjustable.

I've been looking on and off for something like 2 years and still haven't found these for sale in Canada.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Suniikaa posted:

I've been looking on and off for something like 2 years and still haven't found these for sale in Canada.
http://www.wescodirect.ca/direct/Products/ProductListDetail.aspx?pik=128567&productId=128567
This looks like a wholesaler, though they say they do single item orders.

http://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-Adjustable-Hardware/dp/B00009OYGZ
Probably overpriced, but there.

As a guide, they cost a little over £20 in the UK.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

- Box of latex gloves. Just easier than having to really scrub your hands clean all the time, especially for "just need five minutes to do X" jobs.

- Good hand cleaner - because you still get dirty anyway. Forget soap, Lidl's W5 brand hand cleaner is only a couple of quid and totally boss.

Definitely - but it's Swarfega all the way for me :]

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

Definitely - but it's Swarfega all the way for me :]
No, seriously, this W5 stuff is better. Really. I haven't touched my Swarfega since I got it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

No, seriously, this W5 stuff is better. Really. I haven't touched my Swarfega since I got it.

Really? Right, i'll remember that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Spend the $100 or so to get the factory service manual for the cars you most work on too. They are incredibly handy to have, even if just for the peace of mind that you're doing something the right way.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

InitialDave posted:

- Stanley locking adjustable. The best parts of an adjustable spanner and a molegrip, doesn't come out that often when you have a reasonable selection of spanners, but unlike either of its parent tools, it won't gently caress up fastener heads.

drat I need one of these. I abuse the hell out of my adjustable wrench and am always wishing someone made a better one. Looks like Stanley does.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

grover posted:

If this is your only power saw, the most important is a tilting base, and every circular saw on the market has one. Honestly, the $31 craftsman looks just fine for what you need.

Thanks for the advice, I went to Sears looking to buy the cheaper one, but due to online pricing vs store pricing and some kind of sale going on, I got the more powerful circular saw with laser guide for less than the saw that was cheaper online. I'm not sure how that worked out, but no complaints here. The next step will be not cutting my fingers off with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I received $150 in HF gift cards for Christmas. I went there today and left empty handed. :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Couldn't find something that would fit in your purse?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I received $150 in HF gift cards for Christmas. I went there today and left empty handed. :(

You already purchased everything in the store beforehand, right? Otherwise I'm certain this isn't possible.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

InitialDave posted:

Question: can I beat the gently caress out of this with a sledgehammer while it's on a bolt? That's one of the primary jobs for my Vice-Grip tools (especially for alignments). Either way, looks good and I want one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

You already purchased everything in the store beforehand, right? Otherwise I'm certain this isn't possible.

I couldn't find anything I needed. I haven't put a wrench to a car since I bought my Mazda last spring. The perils of owning a reliable and somewhat new car I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

I couldn't find anything I needed. I haven't put a wrench to a car since I bought my Mazda last spring. The perils of owning a reliable and somewhat new car I guess.

Don't think of it as looking for stuff you need, think of it as looking for new toys!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Clearly this means you need to either upgrade the 6 or find something awesome to wrench on :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Clearly this means you need to either upgrade the 6 or find something awesome to wrench on :colbert:

I want to sell the Lightning and get either another XJ or a Miata but it's the wrong time of year to be selling a supercharged truck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ever since I purchased my G35 my tools sit. My F350 is perfect now, and American trucks really need very little attention. Maybe I need to purchase that E32 735i, give me something to do...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I want to sell the Lightning and get either another XJ or a Miata but it's the wrong time of year to be selling a supercharged truck.
Is it a convertible? Is gas going to get cheaper?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lowclock posted:

Is it a convertible? Is gas going to get cheaper?

RWD with so much torque driving on slick roads is not viable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

RWD with so much torque driving on slick roads is not viable.
While your reasoning is logical, if you are restricting the purchase of a large truck to people who make logical decisions about vehicle purchase, you may be disappointed by the size of your target market.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

While your reasoning is logical, if you are restricting the purchase of a large truck to people who make logical decisions about vehicle purchase, you may be disappointed by the size of your target market.

Especially if you are selling a supercharged truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

I'm not restricting anything other than the price. Three people have looked at the truck, said something along the lines of "it's no good for winter" and then low balled me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

I'm not restricting anything other than the price. Three people have looked at the truck, said something along the lines of "it's no good for winter" and then low balled me.

Maybe you should buy the Miata, then put the Lightning's drivetrain in it. That'll give you a nice little winter project, and then you don't have to worry about having too much torque in the truck!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

An impact driver like that would still sink big screws into things easier than a normal drill driver, but you lose the adjustability in speed and the ability to drill holes in things. I think unless you're a professional framer or something a drill driver is more useful. If you need the extra juice get a hammer drill driver.

Impact drivers aren't really impact wrenches, either. If you're looking to get something to get bolts off get a legit impact wrench - and you can always throw a 1/2" to hex adapter on the wrench if you're in a pinch.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Got a 90amp welder from Harbor Freight for Christmas, finally got the nerve to try it. First time I've ever used a welder. Did some research, got some good miller wire, a box fan, respirator and an autodark mask. I'm pretty content with it all things considering I have no clue what I'm doing.

My first go at this on 1/8th mild steel; smushed dimes.
http://imgur.com/5Xakw
I'm using the pulling Zig-Zag Technique, also welding kicks rear end.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Kotaru posted:

Got a 90amp welder from Harbor Freight for Christmas, finally got the nerve to try it. First time I've ever used a welder. Did some research, got some good miller wire, a box fan, respirator and an autodark mask. I'm pretty content with it all things considering I have no clue what I'm doing.

Its not terrible for what it is. Yes a Miller or Hobart is by far better, but for messing around, its not terrible. But again, if your a terrible welder, no matter what kind of machine you have, it will still be lovely welding.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kotaru posted:

NOT BAD! I'm sure you'll get good quickly, you're off to a good start. I see no explosions, no massive holes, and you didn't go to the hospital!

That HF unit is worth exactly what you paid for it. If you're just trying to stick 2 pieces of steel together, you couldn't ask for anything more appropriate for less money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

Maybe you should buy the Miata, then put the Lightning's drivetrain in it. That'll give you a nice little winter project, and then you don't have to worry about having too much torque in the truck!

I think you have confused me with Holdbrooks or Ultimateforce.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I think you have confused me with Holdbrooks or Ultimateforce.

We should all aspire to be on their level. So get to it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't have a garage anymore!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

One day, one day....

Unfortunately, it seems I went for the Toaster Pastry approach of surrounding yourself with your favourite cars. I hope I don't end with an Echo at the end of this crazy path.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I cut about 3/4" off the end of an 8mm allen wrench today so I could use it in an 8mm socket with my torque wrench. Was a simple thing, but very effective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grover posted:

I cut about 3/4" off the end of an 8mm allen wrench today so I could use it in an 8mm socket with my torque wrench. Was a simple thing, but very effective.

I have a set of allen sockets I got at HF for like $10. I wish I'd thought of your solution as I literally have 10 sets of allen keys.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have this set of precision screw drivers and I hate it.

I can never get a good grip and use enough torque (why are all the tiny screw I encounter stuck?). I find the handles both too small to hold comfortable and too slick to grip. Does anyone (HF, Sears, or Lowes? I'll be near those tomorrow.) make a decent set with bigger handles?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Uthor posted:

I can never get a good grip and use enough torque (why are all the tiny screw I encounter stuck?). I find the handles both too small to hold comfortable and too slick to grip. Does anyone (HF, Sears, or Lowes? I'll be near those tomorrow.) make a decent set with bigger handles?
I have a set of Companions sort of like these from Sears that are pretty nice. I also have this Stanley set (as well as the HF knockoff) that's pretty nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've got that same set, branded Stanley. Those knurled handles? They fit great in the jaws of a pair of pliers.

If that's too much work, Sears has some decent open stock precision screwdrivers with big handles and cushy rubber parts. My only real beef is that they aren't magnetic (and don't magnetize particularly well).

Edit: These babies. $3 a pop individually, cheaper if you buy a set.