Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Hey, did that Lights Out show on FX (I think?) about the boxer dude ever turn into something great? I only sticked out the first two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digital Scumbag posted:

Hey, did that Lights Out show on FX (I think?) about the boxer dude ever turn into something great? I only sticked out the first two episodes.

It was solid, I think it falls a little short of "great" save for a few episodes. There was a brief arc later in the season featuring a new character who really captured everyone's attention and breathed some life into the show. The finale did a pretty good job and managed the same trick Terriers pulled of serving as a solid end to either the series or just the season. (I believe the cancellation was announced before it aired but after production wrapped.)

I just never got that invested in the world it tried to build around the lead character. It felt strangely dour and humorless -- if you look at HBO's holy trinity those shows were all frequently hilarious despite a pretty bleak milieu, and Lights Out never seemed to understand that.

If you were interested and want to see how the story turns out, go ahead, it's certainly not a waste of time; if you're just looking for great TV I wouldn't make this a high priority. I'm not even sure whether it's currently available through legit means.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for that critique. I was just thinking about Homeland, and my mind kind of sought out to remember other recent shows that had only one season. I mean, I even watched Falling Skies(but wouldn't recommend it) so I'm unsure of why I gave up on Lights Out.

Any praise for Jericho? I want to say I only watched the pilot, but I remember a scene specifically where a guy was placing pins on a map where attacks occured? How far into it was I? :downs:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I've been going through Supernatural the last week or so on the insistence of a few friends. I've tried before and had a hard time getting through the first few episodes, but as it's gone on I've started to get more and move into the overarching storyline, which I think is much more well done and feels more planned out than a lot of shows major arcs.

There's definitely a lot of forgettable episodes but it also does a lot of things right. I really didn't expect Dean to actually go to hell at the end of season 3. I'm nearly done with season 4 and feel like the show is firing on all cylinders right now. The introduction of Castiel and the whole Angel / 66 seals / Armegeddon storyline has been fantastic. There's been some really memorable episodes, and laugh out loud moments.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I liked Supernatural. I prefer the earlier seasons with Jeffrey Dean Morgan as their badass dad. I also liked the "hunter bar" era and pretty much every plot about their weird take on vampires and especially every episode that was Rufus and Bobby's Bogus Journey.

The dialogue can be really terrible, and repetitive. The word "juice" in reference to one's power or influence is used so many loving times. Strange thing to note but that really stood out to me.

Oh, and don't Internet anything about the show or it's stars. The most withering, soul-crushing fangirls imaginable if you exclude Twilight.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

screenwritersblues posted:

Started Six Feet Under over the weekend and so far I love it. It's dark, uncomfortable, and I love it. I really wish that I would have watch this before Dexter, but I started Dexter first, so I had to finish it before I started it.

It really is an amazing show. It feels like it gets slightly overlooked when it comes to the canon of serial drama because it came relatively early in the current golden age of television and it's much more low-key and soap opera-y than shows like The Sopranos, but it's drat good drama.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
For the last month or so I've been flying through Braking Bad, and have just a few days ago completed season 4. It is positively one of the best shows I've ever seen.

TheKeeper fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 6, 2012

Pug
Nov 26, 2008
"How I met your mother."

Every episode this guy dates a new girl somehow. It's amazing.

NPH is my favorite character by far!(What is his job?)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just finished Spaced, it's a British sitcom that's on Netflix right now. Fun and quirky, each episode goes a different direction (reminds me of Community that way). Just 2 seasons, I wish it were more.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I recently came across "The increasingly bad decisions of Todd Margaret" with David Cross and Will Arnett and finished it just in time for it's second season return today (what are the chances?).

I found it to be like "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" meets "Curb your enthusiasm", only louder and a little less subtle, yet pretty funny. The way events pan out at the end and everything falls into place for the worst outcome possible is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. Cross revisits some of the naivity of Tobias Fünke and it's hilarious.

I was wondering how "Alice's drapes 4 kitchen" would come back biting Todd in the rear end the second he wrote it on the cardboard box and I did not see that coming...

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

DirtyRobot posted:

drat :( I've only watched season 1 so far, and thought that although it was pretty bad (despite a great pilot) it at least had a lot of potential to improve.
The Walking Dead is nothing but wasted potential of a show. Great first episode, steep downhill from there.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Walking Dead isn't quite as bad in that respect as Dexter, but they sure are trying.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rapsey posted:

The Walking Dead is nothing but wasted potential of a show. Great first episode, steep downhill from there.

I'm curious. Do you think it's bad on its own or are you comparing it to the graphic novels?

I like the show and have never read the comics.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I've never read the comics either, but I think it's got a lot of squandered potential. There are still moments here and there where it gets good briefly, but there's an awful lot of crap in between.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Honestly, I watched the first season of The Walking Dead on the strength of how awesome the pilot was, and slowly got more and more disappointed and less and less interested. I was excited for the second season, in the hope that it would pick up, and just lost interest after like 3 episodes. It's not that it was SO awful, it was just really flat and lame and uninteresting. I was so indifferent to the characters that there just didn't seem to be any point. I didn't even make a conscious decision like "This is bad! I am not watching this anymore!" It was more like, "Eh, why bother watching this when I could watch something worthwhile, like The Wire for a third time around or something?"

Totally wasted potential. I see it as barely one notch above The Killing, haha. What pains me is just how much I loved Rubicon - I would have watched THAT show for as long as they cared to produce it, but nooooo, AMC decided that Walking Dead and The Killing would be better investments :rolleyes:

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I just did a fairly quick run through the first season of Enlightened. I found about 60% of the episodes to be fantastic, and the other 40% were average at best. I do like the direction that the show was heading in the finale however, so I will definitely be checking out season two.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm curious. Do you think it's bad on its own or are you comparing it to the graphic novels?

The comic is also terrible.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

kaworu posted:

What pains me is just how much I loved Rubicon - I would have watched THAT show for as long as they cared to produce it, but nooooo, AMC decided that Walking Dead and The Killing would be better investments :rolleyes:
Well, from a business standpoint they obviously were much better investments. Only like five people on Earth watched Rubicon (you, me, and some of the actors' moms), whereas TWD and TK did pretty well in the ratings.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

kaworu posted:

Honestly, I watched the first season of The Walking Dead on the strength of how awesome the pilot was, and slowly got more and more disappointed and less and less interested. I was excited for the second season, in the hope that it would pick up, and just lost interest after like 3 episodes. It's not that it was SO awful, it was just really flat and lame and uninteresting.

I would be a lot more interested in the show if the characters had a motivation or end game besides not getting eaten. Its hard to get emotionally invested in a twenty hour snuff film.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Free Showtime this weekend means I'm plowing through Homeland when I get home.

Really blown away. You can certainly nitpick the show to hell but the acting is just really great and the plot never stops moving. Really looking forward to seeing how it all comes together in the finale. I can imagine it's :aaaaa:

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

mcbexx posted:

I recently came across "The increasingly bad decisions of Todd Margaret" with David Cross and Will Arnett and finished it just in time for it's second season return today (what are the chances?).

I found it to be like "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" meets "Curb your enthusiasm", only louder and a little less subtle, yet pretty funny. The way events pan out at the end and everything falls into place for the worst outcome possible is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. Cross revisits some of the naivity of Tobias Fünke and it's hilarious.

I was wondering how "Alice's drapes 4 kitchen" would come back biting Todd in the rear end the second he wrote it on the cardboard box and I did not see that coming...
I just watched it too. The only thing that really bugs me about the show is the assistant, I think his name is Dave. The skinny Britsih guy that works for Todd. I know he's supposed to be an annoying little rear end in a top hat but goddamn does he get on my nerves. The way he purposely sets Todd up and then smiles. Looks like the devil or something.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012

Digital Scumbag posted:

Any praise for Jericho? I want to say I only watched the pilot, but I remember a scene specifically where a guy was placing pins on a map where attacks occured? How far into it was I? :downs:

I had one of my friends show me the first couple episodes of Jericho and it instantly became one of my favorite shows. As for your question, I honestly can't remember exactly when that happened, I wanna say within the first half of the season? It's a great show about people trying to survive cut off from the whole world basically. Definetly deserves to be watched :)

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So last year I started Friday Night Lights and made it through the end of season 4, but someone it got lost in my stupidly long list of shows and I never managed to finish up. Well, I had a bunch of free time the last week and I finally managed to bing through the last season.

DivisionPost was so right, what an amazing tv series. The last 15 minutes of the finale was a real tear jerker too, especially watching Matt leave Becky at the bus station in his army uniform.

Also, Tara as a long haired brunette :allears:

Overall it was a very satisfying ending to the series, which is something I haven't gotten in quite some time.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've never read them either.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I enjoy the show and I've read all the comics (they are up to issue #091 fyi).

The comics started really great, then the arcs slowly fell into a consistent pattern, and just as I was about to stop reading them, they broke the cycle and took a turn for the better (like in literally the last issue).

The show is it's own entity, that basically just has the same characters and barrows a handful of plot elements, like Hershal's farm. I find myself viewing the TV characters in light of their actions in the comic so my view may be skewed.

Overall, I'd have to say that I like the comics more, but probably just because the plot has progressed and a lot more interesting characters have replaced the many that have died.

platinum_pt78
Dec 26, 2003
pt78

Irish Joe posted:

I would be a lot more interested in the show if the characters had a motivation or end game besides not getting eaten. Its hard to get emotionally invested in a twenty hour snuff film.

Yeah finding the same problem with it, I thought them finding the CDC might have lead to some kind of goal or endgame, but it just carries on with the 'how do we not get eaten by zombies each week' story line, no overall arc or anything apart from gore, which is all people watch it for I think now!

platinum_pt78
Dec 26, 2003
pt78
My list of holiday binging started with Misfits, excellent first two seasons, although the third started to wind down a little for me.

Watched all of Boardwalk Empire, slow start in my opinion, but quickly ramped up and the season finale of s2 was just amazing.

Went through Strike back, awesome popcorn military action TV series (British 24 kind of style).

For comedy, smashed through Workaholics, just gets funnier as the characters develop.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

TheKeeper posted:

For the last month or so I've been flying through Braking Bad, and have just a few days ago completed season 4. It is positively one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Same here, though I've only just started series 3. Absolutely brilliant, really enjoying it, especially the tongue in cheek style humour it seems to have.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
loving Treme. God drat this show is amazing.
It's lighter than The Wire (content-wise), but just as engrossing.
And the music. I'm going to rewatch it once I get a good set of speakers just for the music.

I jut went through The increasingly bad decisions of Todd Margaret too. It's alright. It's nice to see Will Arnett run his mouth without getting bleeped, but the weird cross of British and American style comedy doesn't do it for me. It really makes me miss Arrested Development.

BlockChainNetflix fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 11, 2012

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
My wife and I have burned through the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad, then started on a British TV series kick with Primeval, Being Human, and the latest season of Dr. Who.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

McLarenF1 posted:

So last year I started Friday Night Lights and made it through the end of season 4, but someone it got lost in my stupidly long list of shows and I never managed to finish up.

I'm making my way through Friday Night Lights as well. I'm currently a few episodes into season 4. What an amazing show. I love everything about it: the characters, the acting, the dialogue, the cinematography, the music. Without a doubt, one of my favorite shows of all-time. And this is coming from a non-American, who had little to no interest in football prior to watching this show. Now, I found myself going out of my way to catch a few games this season, and while there's still a lot that goes over my head, I at least know who Tim Tebow is.

Of course, the show is about a lot more than just football, but I'd like to ask: how realistic is it in the way it depicts what seems to be the complete obsession of an entire town with a bunch of 16-year-old kids playing football at the high school level? It just seems amazing to me, and unlike anything I've ever seen in other sports. Is this being exaggerated for dramatic purposes? Is it a Texas thing, or is it something you'd find throughout the country?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Borh posted:

Of course, the show is about a lot more than just football, but I'd like to ask: how realistic is it in the way it depicts what seems to be the complete obsession of an entire town with a bunch of 16-year-old kids playing football at the high school level? It just seems amazing to me, and unlike anything I've ever seen in other sports. Is this being exaggerated for dramatic purposes? Is it a Texas thing, or is it something you'd find throughout the country?
From what I've heard and read about, yes, high school football is that big in certain parts of Texas. Most of the largest high school football stadiums in the country are in Texas. And they've even got 400+ stadiums with a capacity over 5,000 people, and 80+ stadiums with capacities over 10,000.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Borh posted:

I'm making my way through Friday Night Lights as well. I'm currently a few episodes into season 4. What an amazing show. I love everything about it: the characters, the acting, the dialogue, the cinematography, the music. Without a doubt, one of my favorite shows of all-time. And this is coming from a non-American, who had little to no interest in football prior to watching this show. Now, I found myself going out of my way to catch a few games this season, and while there's still a lot that goes over my head, I at least know who Tim Tebow is.

Read the book Friday night lights which goes into this in detail.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

drat, Texans really do love their football.

bobkatt013 posted:

Read the book Friday night lights which goes into this in detail.

I've been meaning to check it out. Good to know it covers that aspect as well.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The big thing I got from the book was that high school football was a good way for Texans to forget how lovely their lives could be. (The book focused on the late 80s, during which time the Texas oil industry was going through a huge depression.)

I don't get that same vibe from Dillon, TX. Yeah, people are a little TOO into football there - and not always in a healthy way - but it does seem like a decent place to live or bring up kids. Hell, one of the last scenes in the entire series is Tim putting up a house on his new property - Texas forever.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I'm looking for another series to watch. Hopefully something recent. Seen and liked

Band of Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Game of Thrones
Generation Kill
Mad Men
The Pacific
The Wire
True Blood

Wasn't terribly interested in Rome but perhaps I'll give it another go. Seen the pilot for Treme, didn't spark my interest sadly. Perhaps Carnivale? Walking Dead (heard its second season sucks)?

pigdog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 12, 2012

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If you like those shows you should give Rome another shot, and check out Justified on FX.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Walking Dead has an amazing pilot episode and then it gets worse with every episode after that. I'd just skip it.

I'd give Rome another try. Season 1 is among the best of HBO. And yes give Carnivale a shot. Season 1 is a slow burn but it goes into overdrive in season 2. It ends on a slight cliffhanger but it still tells an overall story.

Shows to check out

Friday Night Lights
Downton Abbey
Spartacus (no, really, give this a shot and watch past the horrible pilot).
Homeland
Shameless (US version, never saw the original so can't vouch for it)
Battlestar Galactica
West Wing
Sports Night

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I'll toss in recommendations for The Shield and The Sopranos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I just finished season 3 of Friday Night Lights and it really sucks how awesome characters like Smash and Street are written out of the show. It's awesome that they got happy endings, and it's hard to keep them involved when they have graduated and all but they were great characters. Also, I'm pretty bummed about Coach Taylor getting ousted out of Dillon by McCoy, what the gently caress. To make it worse that rear end in a top hat looks just like Phil Dunphy from Modern Family :(