Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Polished the rim of my Vetter headlight.

Amazing what just some good wax will do.

And since I had most of my parts, and both me and my Dad were off work, we got bored and disrobed the bike.

We left it there since we don't have a security torx bit for the ignition, which needs to come out since we're switching the upper triple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Winter maintenance!

This is the first winter that I have had her, so I am going through and cleaning everything, doing valve checks and replacing whatever is needed.

Winter Stupidity!

By the beginning of riding season, I plan on having a new clutch hub and pack, and maybe a new basket. I have to crack the carb open and see if the needles are worn...if so I will grab a jet kit.

Thinking of it, there is a shitload of work to be done, but progress is going pretty well for a newbie.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Put the battery back in the P200E to do the New Years Scooter run with the local scoot club. KLR is put away for the season though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I rescued it:

Click for more pictures.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I rescued it:

Click for more pictures.

That's in fairly good condition!

EDIT: To stay on topic, my bike has been garaged for the last 2-3 weeks. I should really do something with it ...

Odette fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 31, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Sold it! Good bye 1989 GSX-R 750. You served me well.

Only the parts bike left now..

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I took a hammer and a manual impact driver to my Vento to remove the brake reservoir screws. The fluid is low and almost black so I'll top it off for now and bleed it later. While the instrument panel was removed, I discovered my faulty brake switch was actually an unplugged connector.

Then I removed the rest of the body panels and painted them satin black. It's now sundown, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how they turned out and snap a picture once it's put back together.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 1, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Odette posted:

That's in fairly good condition!

Actually it's in AWESOME shape compared to everything else I've brought home.
In fact there's almost no rust and not a single loving spider to be found!
It's even got new tires.

All it really needs is an oil change, carb clean, rebuild front brake master cyl, and put the rotor back on.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I sorted out the jetting on my DRZ.
Previous owner was still on his restricted license so there was a washer in the carb boot which had to go, put in the appropriate new main jet, removed all the emissions plumbing.
Removed the solenoid that limits power in low gears and changed the pilot air jet to suit. did the 3x3 mod. It pulls nicely now and you can feel really the difference in the first three gears with the solenoid gone.

Have 2 Michelin Pilot powers in the garage waiting to go on once i get spare tubes and also a set of case protectors

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
It hasn't been my "ride" for a few months, since the rear end blew up, but..

I finally got my shop set up, so I took my tools over to the new shop, drained and pulled the tank, removed the carbs and the battery.

What's going to happen:

New wheels (bought)
New frame (in the shop, it's the stock frame)
New forks (Springer)
New rear hub mechanism (Virago instead of the Russian crap)
New fenders
New front lights
Modify tank, remove instrument cluster on it.
New bars

Well basically everything except the engine is going. :)

I'll start a project thread once I get properly rolling.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Storage. Getting its battery out was a sweaty bitch, compared to just two screws to get to the battery in my SV.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I bought it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trials of the Honda 400 Twin, part n: the one where a carburetor suffers a backfire, shattering the heads of the intake rubber bolts off, and you make it home 4 miles on one cylinder.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yesterday I cleaned and inspected my carbs, as I thought my pilots were completely clogged after sitting for several months. Redid how my napolean(knockoffs?) bar-end mirrors connect as the way it was stock was pretty bad.

Today I synced my carbs and messed with the mixture, still high as it starts right up with no choke, and idles only a little rough at 2/3 idle rpm. rebuilt my rear brake caliper and that thing was full of crap, seals and boots were all fine though. Took me forever to get the pad spring and pads in too as I didn't note how it went in, and it is exactly opposite what the microfiche shows of course.

It idles beautifully at temp and in neutral revs fine, gonna lower my mixture tomorrow and see how she starts. Hopefully be able to print out my new insurance card so I can take her out.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
Took it for a spin. This week has been beautiful, ice is melting away, not a ton of sand on the roads here. Might be my only chance for years to ride in Jan. that is comfortable and reasonably safe. Once I got gas in the bowls, it fired right off. Garage smells wonderful.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Unless you do something really weird carbs don't clog in a couple months of gas sitting in them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

n8r posted:

Unless you do something really weird carbs don't clog in a couple months of gas sitting in them.

Hah.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

True story. Gas doesn't go bad nearly that quickly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've taken apart carburetors literally one week after I had completely cleaned them out, tested them, and stored them (on the bike), and found poo poo inside that wasn't present the first day after. Most of the problems don't stem from the gasoline itself, but more in how ethanol gas tend to be very hydrophilic. Add to that that carburetors tend to have vents to atmosphere at multiple points (along with their jetted vents to intake air), and you have a scenario where poo poo is capable of clogging fast.

The gas may not go bad sitting in a sealed container, but add moisture to the mix and you'll see that I'm not lying.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/expiration_of_ethanol_gas.html (I know, it's Fuel-Testers, but go with me here)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2668/why-does-gasoline-go-stale-so-quickly

http://media.channelblade.com/Boat_Graphics/TemplateSites/DTS/DealerLibraries/241/ethanol.pdf

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/02/phase-separation-in-ethanol-blended.html

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf

http://www.daybreakfishing.com/ethanol-fuel.html

Phase separation happens fairly quickly (from 1 to 3 months) with any water present. Water from condensation is more than enough.

True story.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 6, 2012

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Laranzu posted:

I bought it

Grats!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Well...I didn't do anything weird, and they were pretty solid with crap. Maybe a pinhole of light through them. Mains were fine, float height was still fine, but I did find a bit of sediment in the drain of one of the bowls. New gas now obviously, couldn't see any rust in the tank, but I don't have a good mirror either.

Petcock screens are intact, but they don't really seem like they would stop much of anything. Put some seafoam in the tank just for good measure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Judging by forum posts vs own experience, US gasoline has the shelf life of milk.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
See my references above. There is proper, corroborated, recognized evidence as to why.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What about the shelf life of fuel that is not blended with ethanol? I only ever use 95 RON in my bike, because my only other options are 91 RON with 10% ethanol, or 98 RON Premium.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

See my references above. There is proper, corroborated, recognized evidence as to why.

Yeah, I just meant it as second hand anecdotal in support of you. I used to like the idea of ethanol blends, now I don't. E85 or E100 in an engine / fuel system designed for it might Work, putting corn in carbs does not.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Man I wish a had a pic handy of a dirty carb so I could do [img-Carb on the Corn.jpg]

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm under the impression that fresh-ish gas basically doesn't allow for water to condense into it when it's in an enclosed container. I emailed a 2 stroke oil manufacturer a while back about how long their premix stays good in gas. They basically said in a metal can you'd be fine with up to 1 year old.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yeah E10 is pretty terrible in general.

Get some Star Tron, that stuff works well. I'll fill up a couple 5 gallon containers and throw some in there. I've never had a problem keeping gas with that. Even after putting the same gas in a tank, then draining it out, and repeating several times over the course of a month.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I replaced the bearing in my clutch as it had completely disintegrated. It should have been pretty easy but it ended up taking me 3 hours.

All is well now and the thing shifts much smoother than ever.

Now let's just hope I got all the metal filings out of the primary...did my damnedest.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
JB Welded the headlight plastic tabs on the 636 a few days ago. Today I put it back together and...headlights fell out again!

I knew it was time to replace the upper front cowl, but now it looks like I'm going to be dropping $200+ for an OEM used headlight just for the tabs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In good news, my order of retroreflective decals came in. Majora's Mask on everything!

I love 3M retroreflective stickers. They last forever, and really increase visibility at night.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Geirskogul posted:

Where did you order those?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found an eBay seller that lets you choose reflective colors along with normal ones. Here's the eBay page for that specific decal. The dude also has a website, but you can't choose nearly as many colors as you can on the eBay listings. I admit, most of the decals are in an "AMURIKAH gently caress YEAH" tone, but there are a couple of cool ones, too. If you get one, be sure to choose "reflective." It's like two bucks more, but totally worth it IMO.

ADDITION:

Just be careful when applying it. You can see in my picture that there are three splotchy, non-reflective spots. That's where the decal wrinkled, but instead of smoothing it out with my finger, I tried using my fingernail, and it damaged the decal. It doesn't look as weird in real life as it does in the picture, just be careful. 3M Oracal vinyl is actually fairly forgiving when it comes to stretching a flat design over a curved surface (that's why it's so popular with whole-vehicle decal applications, because it stretches a bit and is fairly wrinkle-free), and I'm amazed that I only had three trouble spots on a helmet for such an intricate design. It seems like the decals "cure" over time (part PSA, part air-curing adhesive?), because they're quite soft when you first apply them, but a few days later they "harden," or something like it. The grenade decal next to the Majora's Mask one was actually put on about six months ago; when I first put it on it was soft like the new one, but now it's hard and durable, and has survived a few scrapes practically unscathed. Besides, I get a new helmet every year, anyway.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 7, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat- that's awesome! I've been looking to add something reflective to my black helmet. Thinking Wile E. Coyote is in order. :D

i wonder if i can get something like this with the text "bitches ain't poo poo" below it

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 7, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rode the XL175, transferred the title to me. Was disappointed by the rain and lack of daylight, I was going to hoon around under the power lines in Lake Stevens.

Added inline fuel filter to the DT175, did wheelies.

The DT is running a little better each time I ride it. I assume the seafoam I put in the tank is helping unclog the carb a bit as I run the gas through it. This time it took two kicks to start it, which was nice. I also realized the choke doesn't work at all, it will idle at 3k cold, choke or no.

I know it's supposed to be peaky but I still think it should be making a little more oomph from 5k to 7k. Shifting from redline puts the tach right at 5k and by 3rd gear it doesn't have enough to push to the next gear. The usable power band is only 500 rpm between 7k and redline.

Gonna take them both out tomorrow to play in the dirt. After that, carb comes off.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

I admit, most of the decals are in an "AMURIKAH gently caress YEAH" tone, but there are a couple of cool ones, too.

http://tdcdecals.com/Jesus-Saves-Flag-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-P1768289.aspx

Nifty.

Oddly enough, all of the stickers in the "political" section are anti-Obama... I wonder why :confused:

(Although the "Does this rear end make my car look big" could be repurposed fairly easily)

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

theperminator posted:

What about the shelf life of fuel that is not blended with ethanol? I only ever use 95 RON in my bike, because my only other options are 91 RON with 10% ethanol, or 98 RON Premium.

:australia:

I only ever use the 95/98 RON in my bike, I don't see the point in using ethanol blended fuel in the bike, the cost savings are negligible at best.

In my car though, I just use whatever is the cheapest at the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Still working on getting my 99 R6 in selling condition so I can move on to a VFR800. Got my turn signal issues all sorted out and shimmed the handlebar module that houses the turn signal switch, headlight switch, and horn so it doesn't spin around the bar every time you touch it. With every little item ticked off of my list I get closer to being able to sell it, yet at the same time I keep enjoying it more and more. All the "old stink" just melts away the minute I get it on the road.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Topped off the Triton's brake fluid yesterday and realized just how nasty the stuff already in there is. Clear vs grayish black. Looks like I'll be bleeding it much sooner than later. I had to then go to work for the 6th day in a row instead of wrenching on it in the nice weather. Now that I have a day off, it's overcast and in the 30's. Lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Pulled electric system, carbs, and exhaust. Prepping for motor removal. Put Allen bolts in place of JIS screws on the carbs. Ready to do the same with the case.

Parts pile is bearings, bushings, bolts and seals. Nearly all of them. Motor is only coming out to buff the valve cover, and make it easier to clean.