Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Steve Yun posted:

Modern gas cooktops have different size caps on them so that you know which ones are stronger or weaker, maybe they didn't do that for older ones

This is an unshielded gas stove, all the knobs, markings and burners are identical but they don't act like it, and not in a productive way at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Is there still a hookah thread on SA? I thought it was in GBS, but I checked there, TCC and GWS. I even googled it. Does anybody know where it is?

e: Stupid and impatient- found it in TCC upon further searching. It's tagged "drugs".

TheFrailNinja fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 5, 2012

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well plain white flour isn't going to give much flavor other than what you mention, unless you do long slow fermentations, or use something like a sourdough starter. You can also, of course, incorporate other flavors into your bread, or experiment with rye, whole wheat, oat flour, etc.

Good advice, thank you!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What sort of blade design should I look for in a bread knife?

VV It's just that I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's not that great.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 5, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Pretty much all bread knives have the same general blade geometry.

As a practical matter, I'd suggest just buying the longest Victorinox/Forschner bread knife you're comfortable with and/or will fit in your knife block. An inexpensive workhorse. My reasoning here is that you don't really give a poo poo about the details of your bread knife because the only thing you're going to be doing with it is cutting bread. Unless you're head bread-slicer at a large bread-slicing institute, chances are you're not going to be spending long enough doing this at a stretch to care about fiddly stuff like blade balance and so on.

Otherwise I'd offer the general knife advice---go to a store and handle a bunch of them and buy the one whose handle you find the most comfortable.

I reserve the right to take this all back if your question about blade design is something important that I'm being too obtuse to pick up on. But I can't think of any secret kick-the-tires sort of things to look for in a bread knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
WELL, according to CI... you should get pointy teeth and not rounded scallops, with the teeth being an average/medium distance apart, slightly flexible and about 9-10 inches if possible.

Which describes the Victorinox anyways.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

C-Euro posted:

Long, serrated and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47547-4-Inch-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B00093090Y

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

WELL, according to CI... you should get pointy teeth and not rounded scallops, with the teeth being an average/medium distance apart, slightly flexible and about 9-10 inches if possible.

Which describes the Victorinox anyways.
I don't think I've ever seen a bread knife that that doesn't describe. Have I just been lucky?

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Black pepper syrup -- does it really always include sugar?

I can't find a recipe online that doesn't sound sweet, but I saw it being used in the oatmeal thread for a savory dish so.. :ohdear:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Taft Punk posted:

Black pepper syrup -- does it really always include sugar?
Syrups are by definition sugar solutions. If you're just worried about the sweetness you can adjust the amount of sugar against the other ingredients in the syrup, or use a less sweet sugar source (e.g., fruit juice or molasses instead of refined sugar). There are also sugar-free `syrups' made out of Splenda and so forth, but I wouldn't consider those unless you're working around a dietary restriction or something.

In a black pepper syrup I wouldn't worry about the sugar overpowering the flavour if you're using decent quality peppercorns.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

SubG posted:

Syrups are by definition sugar solutions. If you're just worried about the sweetness you can adjust the amount of sugar against the other ingredients in the syrup, or use a less sweet sugar source (e.g., fruit juice or molasses instead of refined sugar). There are also sugar-free `syrups' made out of Splenda and so forth, but I wouldn't consider those unless you're working around a dietary restriction or something.

In a black pepper syrup I wouldn't worry about the sugar overpowering the flavour if you're using decent quality peppercorns.

I'll try it out as soon as I get my hands on more decent peppercorns - thanks for the advice!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Would catfish be a good substitute for sapoara?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

C-Euro posted:

VV It's just that I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's not that great.

What everyone else said, with the addition of it being offset.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The komachi bread knife works pretty well for me, and was recommended a few years ago here.
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Komachi-2-Bread-Knife/dp/B0029XBUKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325785447&sr=1-1
Cheap as hell too.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Does anyone have a good recipe involving boneless pork ribs and possibly a slow cooker? I'm looking for an all-in-one dish, not just slow-cooked ribs in a sauce.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I have a craving for cream of potato soup (preferably with sausage!) but I've never made it by myself and there are too many recipes to sort through on the internet!

Does anyone have a good recipe or any advice for me?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Noni posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe involving boneless pork ribs and possibly a slow cooker? I'm looking for an all-in-one dish, not just slow-cooked ribs in a sauce.

Dump them in there with a bunch of onion, some sauerkraut, some caraway, etc, and cook it on low for 10 hours. Serve on black bread.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So I somehow managed to capture a rabbit with a very crudely designed homemade wire snare.

Thus, I need a recipe for one rabbit. I would like to do something that would stretch it out a bit (so maybe like a rabbit stew, or rabbit pot pie, instead of just fried rabbit).

Thanks. It is a fairly large rabbit if that helps - not domestic rabbit sized obviously but pretty meaty for a wild rabbit.

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
I'm making velveeta and ro-tel dip tonight. For those of you who are unaware of this dip, it consists of these 2 ingredients:
16oz block of velveeta
10oz can of ro-tel tomatoes and green chile (undrained)

Chop the velveeta and add the can of ro-tel. Microwave, or melt over low heat. Delicious!

Serve with tortilla chips, or anything. It really doesn't matter the dip will be gone in 10 minutes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

razz posted:

So I somehow managed to capture a rabbit with a very crudely designed homemade wire snare.

Thus, I need a recipe for one rabbit. I would like to do something that would stretch it out a bit (so maybe like a rabbit stew, or rabbit pot pie, instead of just fried rabbit).

Thanks. It is a fairly large rabbit if that helps - not domestic rabbit sized obviously but pretty meaty for a wild rabbit.

Isn't there something a little sketchy about wild rabbit? Something potentially dangerous? I don't remember.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Kenning posted:

Isn't there something a little sketchy about wild rabbit? Something potentially dangerous? I don't remember.

Tularemia. It's a liver disease that humans can get but it's really only prevalent in the summer months. And even then it's not common. People eat wild rabbit all the time without issue.

Oh I just read there are 200 cases reported each year and it's got like a 1% chance of death. So 2-ish people die from tularemia every year and most of those people get it from ticks and flies. So I'm gonna go ahead and eat my rabbit.

razz fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 6, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I eat wild rabbit a lot. So tasty.

Edit: content-wise, I like to sear em off with just salt and pepper, and do a mustard-cream sauce to go over with some mashed taters or another root veggie.

More involved, but rabbit curry is amazing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay cool. I figured you knew what you were doing I just couldn't remember what the issue was. I think what I remembered was a warning against wild rabbit offal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Thornes posted:

I have a craving for cream of potato soup (preferably with sausage!) but I've never made it by myself and there are too many recipes to sort through on the internet!

Does anyone have a good recipe or any advice for me?

Sautee leeks (or onion) in white wine, add stock, add potatoes and bacon/sausage with a stick of butter and a bouquet garni of thyme and peppercorns, simmer it with bay leaf and give it a good pour of heavy cream and buttermilk afterwards.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 6, 2012

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

bartolimu posted:

Peanuts would be an okay substitute as long as it didn't make the mole taste weird. A lot of traditional moles (especially mole verde) use pumpkin seeds, and I'm pretty fond of them. Mexican markets sell them ("pepitas" in Spanish), as do a many regular grocery stores these days. Get the hulled ones, they should be green in color. I've seen mole recipes with peanuts as well, though, so you'd probably be okay either way.

Ooh, yeah pumpkin seeds sound better to me, thanks!

I like turtles posted:

I would also double check with your friend that peanuts specifically are OK, unless you're 100% sure on it. It's such a common allergy, especially in those with other sensitivities.
Pepita mole is awesome too

I went to college with her, so I know she's good with peanuts. She's only allergic to tree nuts. Thanks though, you can never be too careful with stuff like this!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I often make a quick quesadilla for lunch and while I typically buy pre-shredded cheese for such purposes (lazy), I didn't have any today so I grated a bunch from a block of cheddar I had. While eating it, I noticed that the mouthfeel was significantly creamier than using pre-shredded cheese. Is this because of the cornstarch that the pre-shredded stuff is coated in to prevent sticking? If that's the case, I don't think I can go back to that crap. If not, what could've caused it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lazenca posted:

How long will homemade pizza bases keep for in the fridge once rolled out and made? Or should I put the dough in the fridge instead and roll it when needed?

Every restaurants I ever worked at just kept different size balls of dough in the cooler and we worked them out when we were going to make a pizza or stromboli.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I often make a quick quesadilla for lunch and while I typically buy pre-shredded cheese for such purposes (lazy), I didn't have any today so I grated a bunch from a block of cheddar I had. While eating it, I noticed that the mouthfeel was significantly creamier than using pre-shredded cheese. Is this because of the cornstarch that the pre-shredded stuff is coated in to prevent sticking? If that's the case, I don't think I can go back to that crap. If not, what could've caused it?

Yeah the cellulose they add to keep it from sticking together in the bag also prevents it from melting properly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm considering getting a George Foreman grill, do the 20 dollar models work or is there some other kind I want to look out for? I'm not trying to do anything superfancy, just cook some chicken/fish easily and with less hassle.

vv Good, since I'm only cooking for one person, that's not a problem at all. To Target!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I'm considering getting a George Foreman grill, do the 20 dollar models work or is there some other kind I want to look out for? I'm not trying to do anything superfancy, just cook some chicken/fish easily and with less hassle.

The only real difference is the size and maybe the thermostat on the huge ones. I was given one of the gigantic ones and kinda regret it simply because of how big it is, even if it does cook certain things acceptably fairly quickly.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but since it's cooking related, it might be the best option.

I recently moved, and while I like my new apartment, the kitchen is tiny. I have about 1 square foot of counter space and a ginormous sink. That being said, I don't have a lot of room for counter-top appliances and such, so I'm in the market for space saving solutions.

I also got a pretty big bonus for working my rear end off this year, and am looking to invest in some really good knives.

So I'm thinking of using one of those wall-mounted magnetic knife holders. As a renter, though, I can't just drill it into the wall or into the side of my cabinet. I'm looking at using those 3M Command strips to stick it to my surface, but I worry about their strength, especially considering the fact that there will be a lot of "explosive" pressure when removing the knife from the magnet.

My question is two-fold:
1) Are those strips going to be strong enough to withstand constant use? I'm especially worried because I don't want to wake up finding a Shun santoku broken in half or sticking out of my counter.
2) Are the magnetic strips from Bed Bath & Beyond strong enough? I imagine they aren't going to be cheap knock-offs from the dollar store, but I'm not sure. Reviews seem mixed.

As an addendum:
I'm in the market for an over-sink cutting board. My sink is 22" wide exactly, so it would need to be longer than that to fit properly (okay, gargantuan is maybe not the way to describe this sink, but it's still a bit bigger than I'm used to). Are those cutting boards with the built in strainer any good? I'm vegetarian and only rarely cook with meat (when cooking for others), if that makes any difference. Any recommendations?

edit: I'm cheap as gently caress, which is why I don't just do the "well, buy it and try it" method.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I need some ideas for salvaging a whole lot of frozen minute steaks. I was given a bunch of vacuum sealed steaks between a quarter and half an inch thick and I really don't know what I can do to keep any flavor in them. If I thaw them in the fridge they come out swimming in their juices and are often a pale pink from all the lost beefiness and I have a plastic bag half full of meat juice to deal with. They're supposedly rib eyes and have a fair bit of fat that doesn't really have time to render in the pan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I need some ideas for salvaging a whole lot of frozen minute steaks. I was given a bunch of vacuum sealed steaks between a quarter and half an inch thick and I really don't know what I can do to keep any flavor in them. If I thaw them in the fridge they come out swimming in their juices and are often a pale pink from all the lost beefiness and I have a plastic bag half full of meat juice to deal with. They're supposedly rib eyes and have a fair bit of fat that doesn't really have time to render in the pan.
Losing fluid isn't a problem, and in general has exactly the opposite effect of the one you anticipate---a steak that's been given some time to dry in the fridge will, on average, be more flavourful than a `fresher', wetter steak. You can kinda-sorta fake dry ageing in your fridge by wrapping a steak or roast or whatever in a couple layers of cheesecloth (or something similar that will wick the moisture away from the surface of the meat) and setting it on a rack over a drip tray in your fridge. Assuming the meat's fresh to start out with, you can leave it in there for a couple three days at minimum (you won't get enough ageing to justify the effort otherwise) to about a week. The meat will probably end up looking really funky, but it'll be safe (assuming your fridge is holding around 40 F and you don't have anything nasty growing in it).

That all being said, I don't think I'd bother trying to age a couple of thin breakfast steaks (or whatever you want to call 'em). I'd just thaw them out, leave them sitting on the counter until they're about room temperature, pat them dry, then hit them for around 30 seconds a side (assuming they're about half an inch) on a lava-hot cast iron skillet.

Well, actually what I'd do is bag them and throw them in the puddle machine at about 130 for a couple hours, pull them out, then proceed as above. But if you don't have a puddle machine the above is the next best thing.

Serve them with some creamy scrambled eggs and some toasted crusty bread.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic
Hello all, I'm trying to find a really special meal for my girlfriend for her birthday. She mentioned she'd like something she had before at a French place not far from us. She didn't remember all the details so I'm hoping you all can help me lock down exactly what she had and where I can (hopefully) find it.

What I'm told is that it that basically it was grouper wrapped in a Japanese magnolia leaf. Apparently, that wasn't just any Japanese magnolia leaf though, it was only found in one part of Japan that has to grow over a certain altitude. I already did the obvious thing and called the restaurant but they haven't made it in a while and it isn't on the menu anymore. The waiters I talked to didn't seem to know much about it and couldn't tell me anything other than the type of fish. Would it be rude to call back and ask to talk to the chef? It's a local place and from how the restaurant's website it looks like the guy takes a lot of pride in it.

I'd like this to be a surprise and I don't want to ask her anything more about it so she won't get suspicious.

Alternatively, if any of you happen to be Tampa Bay area/Sarasota locals and feel like suggesting a French place I'd be open to suggestions.

Southern Vulcan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 7, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Call back and ask, what's the worst that could happen?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SubG posted:

Losing fluid isn't a problem, and in general has exactly the opposite effect of the one you anticipate---a steak that's been given some time to dry in the fridge will, on average, be more flavourful than a `fresher', wetter steak. You can kinda-sorta fake dry ageing in your fridge by wrapping a steak or roast or whatever in a couple layers of cheesecloth (or something similar that will wick the moisture away from the surface of the meat) and setting it on a rack over a drip tray in your fridge. Assuming the meat's fresh to start out with, you can leave it in there for a couple three days at minimum (you won't get enough ageing to justify the effort otherwise) to about a week. The meat will probably end up looking really funky, but it'll be safe (assuming your fridge is holding around 40 F and you don't have anything nasty growing in it).

That all being said, I don't think I'd bother trying to age a couple of thin breakfast steaks (or whatever you want to call 'em). I'd just thaw them out, leave them sitting on the counter until they're about room temperature, pat them dry, then hit them for around 30 seconds a side (assuming they're about half an inch) on a lava-hot cast iron skillet.

Well, actually what I'd do is bag them and throw them in the puddle machine at about 130 for a couple hours, pull them out, then proceed as above. But if you don't have a puddle machine the above is the next best thing.

Serve them with some creamy scrambled eggs and some toasted crusty bread.

Nah, this is pretty solidly not the water loss from aging. This is frozen as hell meat losing half it's mass overnight and taking a lot of flavor with it. The liquid is bright red and plenty more puddles up during cooking to the point where the second side refuses to brown.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Two weeks from now is our housewarming. I'm making the appetizers... And come to find out we might have fancy mucky-muck people from MY BOYFRIEND'S work at our place for the party. I'm going to explode and die.

Anybody know any fancy hors-d'oeuvres or not-so-fancy ones, even, that you've tested on people and have them coming back for more? Or seem to vanish particularly fast from the trays when they're set out?

So far I have:

Figs, halved and wrapped in prosciutto, with a little honey drizzle maybe.

Toasted pita chips to go with home-made spicy hummus and a dry middle eastern spice dip (not sure what mix yet, probably looking up zatar?)

something on bruschetta or roasted brie or something

If it's relevant, the person handling the big meal is going with penne pasta with some kind of tomato-based dressing, turkey meatballs and a hearty salad.

Please help me, food gurus! You're my only hope!

Taft Punk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 7, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make gougeres. Serve em by themselves or stuffed with something like a crab salad and they are great warm or cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made these canapés a while ago and they were pretty amazing. I think there were between twenty and thirty canapés per recipe. I've gone into way more detail than you probably need, because I just copied and pasted from my recipe folder. When I made them, I made them quite a while in advance and they didn't seem to suffer for it.

Caraway crispbreads with roasted beetroot and hummus

Crispbreads:
125g flour
2tbsp olive oil
˝ tsp salt
6tbsp water
2 tsp ground caraway seeds

Mix the flour, caraway and salt.
Rub in the oil
Add the water and mix to firm dough
Divide in two and knead each half on a lightly floured surface
Roll into a thin sheet
Cut into 3.5cm squares and place onto a lightly greased baking sheet
Prick each square well
Bake at 180 for 15m or until lightly browned
Cool on wire racks

Roasted beetroot:
3 tennis ball sized beetroot

Wash and pat dry with kitchen roll
Cut away the leaves, leaving approximately 2cm of stalk
Place in a large roasting dish, cover in oil and roast for 45m at 180°C
Leave to cool, rub the skin off with kitchen roll and slice

Hummus:
200g canned chickpeas
Juice of half a lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
100ml tahini
4tbsp water
2tbsp olive oil
A pinch of salt
1tsp paprika
Drain the chickpeas and rinse
Combine with lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini and blend to a smooth paste

Assemble the canapés by putting a dollop of hummus on the crispbread and top with a slice of beetroot

Crab cakes:
2cm fresh root ginger, peeled and minced
2 red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
250g white crabmeat
1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 eggs
8tbsp breadcrumbs
Plain flour, for dusting
25ml olive oil

Combine the crab, ginger, chilli, spring onion, coriander, one egg and 4tbsp bread crumbs
Divide the mixture into ten equal patties and and chill for 20m
In separate bowls, put the flour, remaining bread crumbs and a beaten egg
Dredge a crab cake, then dip into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs
Shake gently to remove excess breadcrumbs
Fry the crab cakes in oil for 2-3m on each side, or until crisp and golden
Bake for 5-10m at 180°C

No assembly required

Crostini with goats cheese and red onion marmalade:

Crostini:
1 thin white baguette
Light olive oil

Slice the baguette into 5mm thick rounds and brush with olive oil
Bake for 5m at 180°C

Red onion marmalade:
25ml olive oil
500g red onion
125g soft brown sugar
75ml red wine vinegar

Heat the olive oil and fry the red onion for about 8m until soft and translucent
Add the sugar and stir until it melts in
Add the vinegar and stir until it reaches a jam like consistency, which will take about 45m
Assemble the canapés by spreading about 10g of soft goats cheese on the crostini, topped with a dollop of red onion marmalade